Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 270Likes
post #34591 of 34604 Unread 07-25-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecodder View Post
Rythmik suggested the FV15HP. Stated a lot of their customers have the 8060's.

It's a 15 inch sub. They claim you only need one of theirs.

I'm considering that or the or the HSU VTF-15H MK.

Another suggestion someone else had was to get two 8" or 10" subwoofers.

I saw a 12" and 15" SVS in a store and they were huge. Perhaps too big for my living room.
I may not be the best person to ask because I am up to 4 subs, but my number one lesson learned is by the best sub you can afford. By one and go with 2 later. Get the 1, 15" 2, 10"s won't touch the bass extension of one of those 15"s.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34592 of 34604 Unread Yesterday, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Surround speaker question -- I currently use SR8080 for surrounds in my system, and am looking to move to an atmos setup. Would it be possible to use a simple VESA 100 mount in order to mount a pair of SR9080s to the ceiling?

Mount would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZP1BUI...=I9W6B1IMHAHL9

I am only doing a .2 atmos setup in my room and would love to be able to ceiling mount a matching pair of surrounds like this.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
post #34593 of 34604 Unread Yesterday, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, I have a speaker setup question.

I have an old set of BP2004TL's with a C/L/R 2300 center and I want to set these up with my Marantz SR5003.

Speakers are connected using monster cable speaker wire, not LPF. My understanding is that since these contain powered subs I should set the speaker size to LARGE for both the fronts and the center channel but I can't find a good answer as to whether I should set the SUB setting on the amp to YES or NO. I mean, i do have a sub, it's just integrated, know what I mean

Also related, what should I set the crossover frequency to in the Amp, options range from 60 to 180, I am assuming 60 to make sure all sounds are sent to the front speakers and the internal sperker crossover's will handle it from there? There is no setting for individual channel crossover, just this global setting.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
post #34594 of 34604 Unread Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (Boca) View Post
Hey all, I have a speaker setup question.

I have an old set of BP2004TL's with a C/L/R 2300 center and I want to set these up with my Marantz SR5003.

Speakers are connected using monster cable speaker wire, not LPF. My understanding is that since these contain powered subs I should set the speaker size to LARGE for both the fronts and the center channel but I can't find a good answer as to whether I should set the SUB setting on the amp to YES or NO. I mean, i do have a sub, it's just integrated, know what I mean

Also related, what should I set the crossover frequency to in the Amp, options range from 60 to 180, I am assuming 60 to make sure all sounds are sent to the front speakers and the internal sperker crossover's will handle it from there? There is no setting for individual channel crossover, just this global setting.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
If you have no Separate and Dedicated Sub, then set the speakers to Large and the Sub to "NO", this will distribute the LFE channel into your Mains.
As far as crossovers, that depends on your surrounds, speakers set to Large, don't use the crossover.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #34595 of 34604 Unread Yesterday, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
If you have no Separate and Dedicated Sub, then set the speakers to Large and the Sub to "NO", this will distribute the LFE channel into your Mains.
As far as crossovers, that depends on your surrounds, speakers set to Large, don't use the crossover.
Ah ok, this is very helpful. I don't have the rears connected so it's effectively a 2.1 system right now and the crossover setting on the Marantz will have no effect, correct?

Not sure if you know the answer to this but my center speaker has a powered sub in it also, should it be set to LARGE as well? I have seen conflicting info here....

Thanks again for the help.
post #34596 of 34604 Unread Yesterday, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (Boca) View Post
Ah ok, this is very helpful. I don't have the rears connected so it's effectively a 2.1 system right now and the crossover setting on the Marantz will have no effect, correct?

Not sure if you know the answer to this but my center speaker has a powered sub in it also, should it be set to LARGE as well? I have seen conflicting info here....

Thanks again for the help.
Correct, crossover setting only effects speakers set to Small.
Yes, Large is OK for the 2300 also. Esp. since your basically running a 3.0 system for now.
Chris (Boca) likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Yesterday at 05:46 PM.
post #34597 of 34604 Unread Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Correct, crossover setting only effects speakers set to Small.
Yes, Lake is OK for the 2300 also. Esp. since your basically running a 3.0 system for now.
Awesome, thanks again.
post #34598 of 34604 Unread Yesterday, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin_Guy View Post
Surround speaker question -- I currently use SR8080 for surrounds in my system, and am looking to move to an atmos setup. Would it be possible to use a simple VESA 100 mount in order to mount a pair of SR9080s to the ceiling?

Mount would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZP1BUI...=I9W6B1IMHAHL9

I am only doing a .2 atmos setup in my room and would love to be able to ceiling mount a matching pair of surrounds like this.

Thanks for your thoughts...
Any thoughts?

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
post #34599 of 34604 Unread Today, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Definitive Owners Thread

Do the A60 atoms speakers do a good job with atmos? I've got a pair of 8060s so they'd fit nicely there and from what I hear they are pretty cheap. That being said I won't have any atmos abilities until next year when I get a new AV receiver so would I be better off with another kind of speaker for Atmos? I have no real ability to do ceiling speakers. The newer DT atmos ones I don't think would fit on top as nice and really only looking at these based on price and ability to stack on top so well
post #34600 of 34604 Unread Today, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddn149 View Post
Do the A60 atoms speakers do a good job with atmos? I've got a pair of 8060s so they'd fit nicely there and from what I hear they are pretty cheap. That being said I won't have any atmos abilities until next year when I get a new AV receiver so would I be better off with another kind of speaker for Atmos? I have no real ability to do ceiling speakers. The newer DT atmos ones I don't think would fit on top as nice and really only looking at these based on price and ability to stack on top so well
I have the 8060's with the A60 Atmos modules. I have a Atmos enabled Yamaha receiver. For my setup in the living room, it seems to work ok.

From what I've seen of them, the new A90's won't work with the older 8060's. They are completely wired and engineered differently. They have a connector that fits into the top of the 9000 series floor standing speaker. Just a very different design to fit the new series.
post #34601 of 34604 Unread Today, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the reply seeing they work "ok" doesn't thrill me but good to know. Are there other non-ceiling based Atmos speakers that will do a better job and make them more than just ok? I've read Elac is a good one
post #34602 of 34604 Unread Today, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddn149 View Post
Thanks for the reply seeing they work "ok" doesn't thrill me but good to know. Are there other non-ceiling based Atmos speakers that will do a better job and make them more than just ok? I've read Elac is a good one
I said "ok" because I don't have anything to compare it to. If I had the Atmos ceiling speakers placed the way they should be, I'm sure there would be quite a improvement.

I hear elevated sounds but I only have 2 atmos movies. I also have a "live room" meaning all hardwood and no carpet anywhere in the living room. We don't have rugs anywhere in the house (animal accidents do quite a number on them....)

I'm not in a position right now to have ceiling speakers. When I got the A60's at Best Buy for $125 even a Magnolia rep said well try it for $125, but stated it would be best to have ceiling atmos speakers that can be positioned and pointed to achieve the best effect.

It does sound immersive, but it can also depend on my room layout also.
post #34603 of 34604 Unread Today, 11:22 AM

Thanks for that clarification, I'm not going to have ceiling speakers so in my mind this is better than not doing it at all Especially at that price
post #34604 of 34604 Unread Today, 03:21 PM

Liked: 0
Any 8060 owners that have upgraded to the 9000 series? Curious if there are significant performance improvements or if it is not worth the investment to upgrade. I love my 8060s but really love the look of the 9000 series and wonder how significant the engineering enhancements are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread