Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 282Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34681 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 AM
Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriais View Post
Hi all, like to seek some inputs.

I currently have a Atmos 5.1.2 setup comprising of SM55 fronts, CS8040HD centre, PM 1000 surrounds, DI6.5R Top middle and a dual 12 inch subwoofer. Usage is 95%movies 5% music.

I am interested to add a not-too-ex. power amp mainly to power my front 3 speakers and am considering between the Emotiva Xpa3 and the newly released BasX A500 which I understand is similar to UPA500.

Given that my front 3 speakers are quite efficient, I am curious if there is any obvious sound difference if I opt for the lower powered amp. Any def tech owners with similar setup can share their experience?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
I'm using an Outlaw 5000 to run my mains, center and surrounds. Using my Denon x6200w to just power the rear surrounds.
Currently pm 1000 mains, pc 2000 center, 8040bp surrounds and pm 800 rears.
Works like a champ and takes some stress off the Denon.
Switching to sm55 mains soon and moving pm 1000's to rear surround duty so looking forward to how it sounds with that setup.
subacabra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34682 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriais View Post
Hi all, like to seek some inputs.

I currently have a Atmos 5.1.2 setup comprising of SM55 fronts, CS8040HD centre, PM 1000 surrounds, DI6.5R Top middle and a dual 12 inch subwoofer. Usage is 95%movies 5% music.

I am interested to add a not-too-ex. power amp mainly to power my front 3 speakers and am considering between the Emotiva Xpa3 and the newly released BasX A500 which I understand is similar to UPA500.

Given that my front 3 speakers are quite efficient, I am curious if there is any obvious sound difference if I opt for the lower powered amp. Any def tech owners with similar setup can share their experience?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
No there shouldn't be, the only possible benefit to going to the XPA would be future proofing if you ever thought you might upgrade to a bi-pole tower, otherwise the BasX serious would be fine.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34683 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 05:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
No there shouldn't be, the only possible benefit to going to the XPA would be future proofing if you ever thought you might upgrade to a bi-pole tower, otherwise the BasX serious would be fine.
Thanks for your inputs.

I am hoping that by adding the BasX or Xpa, there will be a obvious SQ improvement in the front 3 speakers plus the power in the AVR can be redistributed to the remaining surround speakers hence they should also sound better.

Would that be a correct assumption? I typically listen at below reference level and hope that the power amp could improve clarity in the soundstage at lower volume..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
yuriais is offline  
post #34684 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriais View Post
Thanks for your inputs.

I am hoping that by adding the BasX or Xpa, there will be a obvious SQ improvement in the front 3 speakers plus the power in the AVR can be redistributed to the remaining surround speakers hence they should also sound better.

Would that be a correct assumption? I typically listen at below reference level and hope that the power amp could improve clarity in the soundstage at lower volume..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Honestly, it's hard to say, you probably don't need the extra power and most likely it's at the louder volumes that you'd notice more of a difference than lower volumes since it wouldn't be straining the amp section to cover the demand. (headroom)
But you may simply notice the difference depending on if there are sound signature variations between the Amp & AVR.
IMO if you do hear a difference, it will most likely be in the L/R than the Center, simply because the 6.5's in them should benefit more from the extra headroom than the 4.5's in the Center.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34685 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks. You have been very helpful.

For my case, do you think a XPA3 or BasX A500 would benefit my system more?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
yuriais is offline  
post #34686 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriais View Post
Thanks. You have been very helpful.

For my case, do you think a XPA3 or BasX A500 would benefit my system more?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Wha AVR are you using?
If you get the 500 and use all channels, it may be even les power than your AVR.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34687 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am using a Denon X4100W.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
yuriais is offline  
post #34688 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriais View Post
I am using a Denon X4100W.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Ya, the BasX units are going to give you less w/ch if you drive anything more than 2 channels.
Honestly, since you're just diving into amps, I'd do this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emotiva-UPA-...8AAOSwOVpXf7l0

This vendor is actually Emotiva's E-Bay store for their over stock and referbs, it would save you some cash to experiment, just try it on your L&R and see what you think.
Then if you don't think it makes any difference, you could resell it at minimal loss, or save it for a nice 2 channel music setup.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 09-07-2016 at 08:57 PM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34689 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blasst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: So.California
Posts: 3,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboperations View Post
I am interested in upgrading my Procenter 2000 to a CLR2002. Anyone familiar with both center channels that can comment on whether it's a worthy upgrade? I saw that they have roughly the same driver sizes, although the CLR2002 has a much larger cabinet and is ported?

I currently have BP10B fronts, PM1000 surround, and SVS PC2000 sub (along with the PC2000 center). I'm feeling like the PC2000 isn't keeping up.

Thanks!
The PC2000 is a very good center speaker. Have you set up the speakers correctly within your AVR and used a SPL meter? I have used both the PC2000 and the CLR2002 and I thought they were very close in performance, yet I liked the CLR2002 for a little bit more "fuller" sound, and have one in a setup, along with a pair of SM350's up front, and a pair of SM800's out back, in a garage setup for gaming. You are probably going to have to get a CLR2002, and do a shootout to see which one you prefer.

Last edited by Blasst; 09-07-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Blasst is offline  
post #34690 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blasst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: So.California
Posts: 3,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post
i agree with ALtlOff about everything especially with the toeing

i can remember the first time i toed my 2000 towers in and sat down in the "sweet spot" after getting up and down from the chair to make adjustments a few dozen times i was blown away by how well the def tech's can create an amazing sound-stage. when done "right" it's like getting a free center channel (and everything in-between)

i had to get up a few more times to check and see if the center speaker was really off. this was about the late 90s i just picked up a remastered CD box-set of Simon & Garfunkel and it was like they were standing right in my room performing side by side drums off to one side of the stage it even seemed like Paul's guitar was down lower than his mouth. whoever mixed that set did a great job
otk, man I came so close to buying a pair of 2000 towers years ago, and in fact had consulted you when I was trying to decide if they would work in my room. You have been around posting here for 10 years now, and are truly one of the all time great posters here with REAL knowledge for speakers, and audio!
Blasst is offline  
post #34691 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
This vendor is actually Emotiva's E-Bay store for their over stock and referbs, it would save you some cash to experiment, just try it on your L&R and see what you think.
Then if you don't think it makes any difference, you could resell it at minimal loss, or save it for a nice 2 channel music setup.


Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
yuriais is offline  
post #34692 of 34710 Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As I am not based in US, shipping charges will be exorbitant to get it to Singapore where I am at. Hence i would rather spend wisely to get the right amp if possible rather than trial and error.

Point noted on the limitations of the BasX, it seems like the XPA3 may likely be a better option for my setup. Thanks ALtloff for your valuable inputs!

Now, I guess I got to wait to see if there are other inputs from the rest.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
yuriais is offline  
post #34693 of 34710 Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
 
aKa DaShiznit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I just bought a used XPA-3 2 weeks ago to power my front 3 sm65's and let the denon handle the rest. I sold the fusion flex and I think it was a nice worthwhile upgrade. Audyssey now has my mains and center at around -4 to -5 when the denon was powering them it was only set 0 to -1. I can hear the difference and the denon seams to get less hot.

Last edited by aKa DaShiznit; 09-08-2016 at 06:01 PM.
aKa DaShiznit is online now  
post #34694 of 34710 Old 09-08-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
I'm probably going to get a lot of grief from the hyper-technical crowd about this but here's my take on amplification and DefTech's, and what I feel that I experienced when doing all of my swapping and different setups. (Keep I'm mind, all of my speakers have 6.5" mid drivers)

AVR only... I was able to power my entire original system (all 19 speakers wired in series) with just an AVR (135w/ch Pioneer) to reference volume in my room, and it sounded just fine to me then. (It wasn't until I added amplification did I notice how strained it sounded)

Eternal Amplification....
First, I added 2x 125w mono-blocks (Marantz MA-500's) to my L&R, there was minimal if any change to my L&R but you could hear a slight difference in the rest of the speakers, what I attribute to lessening the load on the AVR as a whole.

Next, I added 2 more MA-500's to the L&R and bridged then to give me approx 320w per speaker, I do feel as if this made a sonic improvement in my Fronts, they simply sounded clearer, more open and less strained. Which to me makes sense, since giving a driver the appropriate amount of power to draw from, for their design spec, should improve its transient response.

Next, I went from the bridged mono-blocks to the Emotiva XPA series amp, which gave me 250w per speaker, to me there was no sonic differences between it and the mono-blocks, the addition simply allowed me to use the mono-blocks on some of my other speakers to further free up power from the AVR.

Lastly, I went from the XPA series to my current XPR's, while there was a slight improvement for my Center, Wides and Surrounds (400w per speaker) there was a noticeable improvement for my Fronts (600w per speaker) the clarity, dynamics and most of all imaging, at higher volumes, was vastly improved. Instead of the speakers simply getting louder, with the proper amount of power, the sound seemed to just image closer to you, as the volume increased, and the speakers themselves just disappear into the room.

Now, I mentioned earlier that all of my speakers have 6.5" drivers and that I said "per speaker" above instead of per channel, and I think this comes into play, esp with DefTech's and many of their multiple driver designs. My fronts, Wides, Surrounds and Rears, all have 4x 6.5" drivers in each speaker, and I'm under the belief that this is where the biggest difference is when addressing the issue if available power. Regardless of w/ch I feel it has much more to do with watts per mid driver, regardless of design, you're still dividing the power between the total number of mid drivers (tweeters use so little, they really don't effect much if anything) in the speaker.

IMO, with the older DefTech's I've experimented with, 5.25" drivers like to have at least 75-100w per mid driver and the 6.5's from 100-150w available to them, to get their peak performance, but of course you absolutely don't need that much, remember I was originally running 4 drivers per 135w channel from an AVR, or 125w mono-block, and many have used less and been perfectly happy.

Anyway, I'm sure I've over simplified things, but this is what I feel, I've experienced....
Use it as you will....
pmat123 likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 09-08-2016 at 02:54 PM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34695 of 34710 Old 09-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question DefTech with MonitorAudio surround?

Okay, I've decided (been given permission) NOT to use ceiling speakers for my front HT speakers. I plan to get DefTech's BP9080x speakers with the SR9080 center. Now, my rear surrounds (5.1) need to be in-ceiling and my budget, after the 9080s cannot do the UIW RSS IIs. And, I don't see any other DefTech in-ceiling bi-polar surrounds.

I am considering the MonitorAudio CT265FX for the surrounds. http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...s-200/ct265-fx

Since this is the DefTech thread, I figured the readers here could help me.

Also, even though the 9080s have powered subs, I should still get a separate sub, right?
Ransak is offline  
post #34696 of 34710 Old 09-08-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransak View Post
Okay, I've decided (been given permission) NOT to use ceiling speakers for my front HT speakers. I plan to get DefTech's BP9080x speakers with the SR9080 center. Now, my rear surrounds (5.1) need to be in-ceiling and my budget, after the 9080s cannot do the UIW RSS IIs. And, I don't see any other DefTech in-ceiling bi-polar surrounds.

I am considering the MonitorAudio CT265FX for the surrounds. http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...s-200/ct265-fx

Since this is the DefTech thread, I figured the readers here could help me.

Also, even though the 9080s have powered subs, I should still get a separate sub, right?
First, the Sub, yes, for optimal performance in a theatre environment, you should have a separate Sub and consider the Subs in the towers as powered woofers to help round them out as a truly full range speaker. Temporarily they would work as subs, but just be aware of this, also there will be other setup options that you can experiment with, one they're in your room.

As far as the surrounds, I take it that you're choosing a Bi-Polar speaker because of placement over just a standard round ceiling speaker?
While the Monitors should be fine (timbre matching isn't as important when it comes to surrounds on a different horizontal plane as those that are in the same plane, like all at ear level)
But.... there's no price on those and I'm wondering what your thoughts on referbs are, here are some of what I think would be much better choices from our (DefTech owners) well regarded "DefTech factory referb" re-seller:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Tec...039?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Tec...654?nav=SEARCH

The II's would be a perfect match if you could work them into your budget.
Ransak likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34697 of 34710 Old 09-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Woohoo! My sm55's came today!
Can't wait to hook these bad boys up!
Ransak likes this.
subacabra is online now  
post #34698 of 34710 Old 09-09-2016, 05:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks, Off (cool name!) Manufacturer refurbished should be equivalent to brand new so far as functionality, correct? I can deal with those prices.
Ransak is offline  
post #34699 of 34710 Old 09-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
aKa DaShiznit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransak View Post
Thanks, Off (cool name!) Manufacturer refurbished should be equivalent to brand new so far as functionality, correct? I can deal with those prices.
I got my entire deftech setup from them and everything I could swear was new and has worked flawlessly so far so buy there with confidence. Not to mention I hear he is really good to deal with if there is a problem even though luckily I haven't had to ever contact him.
noshank, fredxr2d2 and Ransak like this.
aKa DaShiznit is online now  
post #34700 of 34710 Old 09-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Member
 
pwz1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm selling BP7000sc (pair) and CLR3000 on eBay. All in excellent condition. My eBay profile is pwz1983. Lots of pictures available. Thanks.

Panasonic 65VT30 (calibrated by D-Nice)
Denon 4311CI
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP7000sc (mains);
CLR 3000 (center)

Last edited by pwz1983; 09-10-2016 at 07:50 AM.
pwz1983 is offline  
post #34701 of 34710 Old 09-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Member
 
WarmongerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oregon City, Oregon
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Getting ready to take the plunge and install some ceiling speakers for an Atmos 7.1.2 configuration. Looking at the Atmos placement guides, going to .4 wouldn't really work to well in my setup since my couch is 8" away from the wall and placement of 2 of the 4 Atmos speaker would need to be behind my MLP. So i've come to the conclusion that I can only get 2 up above, which looks like I need to place them just in front of and a little inside from the side surrounds (Atmos guide )

As you can see in my sig, I have 5.25" drivers all the way around. My question is two fold actually, should I stick with a 5.25" driver and get some DI 5.5R's for Atmos placement or should I go slightly larger and get a pair of DI 6.5R's?

Secondly, since this thread has lately gone the direction of discussing external amps. I'm wondering with as many speakers as I'll have hooked up to my new Denon X6200W AVR, if I should look at introducing something to power just the front sound stage. I don't normally listen all that loud since the other half has sensitive hearing, but when she's gone I turn it up to around 65 on the volume, which rocks the house pretty well, or is it a waste of money?

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA
Denon AVR‑X6200W Receiver
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 L/C/R - ProMonitor 1000 x 4
SVS PB12+ Subwoofer

25TB Plex Media Server
My Home HT Pics
WarmongerX is offline  
post #34702 of 34710 Old 09-10-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmongerX View Post
Getting ready to take the plunge and install some ceiling speakers for an Atmos 7.1.2 configuration. Looking at the Atmos placement guides, going to .4 wouldn't really work to well in my setup since my couch is 8" away from the wall and placement of 2 of the 4 Atmos speaker would need to be behind my MLP. So i've come to the conclusion that I can only get 2 up above, which looks like I need to place them just in front of and a little inside from the side surrounds (Atmos guide )

As you can see in my sig, I have 5.25" drivers all the way around. My question is two fold actually, should I stick with a 5.25" driver and get some DI 5.5R's for Atmos placement or should I go slightly larger and get a pair of DI 6.5R's?

Secondly, since this thread has lately gone the direction of discussing external amps. I'm wondering with as many speakers as I'll have hooked up to my new Denon X6200W AVR, if I should look at introducing something to power just the front sound stage. I don't normally listen all that loud since the other half has sensitive hearing, but when she's gone I turn it up to around 65 on the volume, which rocks the house pretty well, or is it a waste of money?
The 5.5's should be just fine because of what the rest of your consists of, if you were maybe running Supertowers or some larger surrounds then the 6.5's, but with your setup the 5.5's should give you everything you need.

Again the amplification issue is very subjective when it comes to the "was/is it worth it issue", esp since your running such a capable AVR, but with 3x 65's up front it may well be worth it to open them up and free up some AVR power. If you not opposed, look toward used or jadedesign on e-bay for factory referb, would save you some cash so that if you didn't feel it was worth it, you could resell and not be out that much.
Emotiva's lounge is a great place for normally, good quality used gear. Also, with the 65's I'd look at the XPA line to fall in with the power ranges I mentioned earlier, while the UPA line would of course free up the AVR, the XPA line would give you the best chance of improvement for your Fronts. (Or of course, similar power from other mfg's.)

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; 09-10-2016 at 01:56 PM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34703 of 34710 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Got a question for Bp-80xxst owners as I have the 8060st has anyone ever heard of covering the rear firing drivers before running audyssey. I heard of people laying towels on top to cover the back or putting things in between the driver and socks to run calibration as a monopole. Any thoughts? Is it smart, or is it just plain dumb...
MyNameIsSonya is online now  
post #34704 of 34710 Old Today, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hearrean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Port Neches, Tx. (S.E. Texas)
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Question Question about Center Channel

I have a 5.1.2 set-up & I'm using BP 2002 towers with BPX surrounds & an off-brand center. I was using a CLR 2002 center, but the only reason I no longer use that center is because we recently re-did our av cabinet & no longer had room for that center, so I just bought a cheap off-brand. Well, now, I've changed it to where I can go back to the 2002 center. But before I do, I have a question. I can also get a CLR 2300 powered center (just like my mains) at a great price. Would I be better off to do that or simply go back to the CLR 2002? Our viewing room is about 20 ft X 16 ft total, but we sit about 7 ft away from our system/TV since we have a 4K set-up. Opinions?

Thanks,
Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Last edited by hearrean; Today at 08:28 AM.
hearrean is online now  
post #34705 of 34710 Old Today, 08:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What kind of subwoofer do you have?
MyNameIsSonya is online now  
post #34706 of 34710 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hearrean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Port Neches, Tx. (S.E. Texas)
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsSonya View Post
What kind of subwoofer do you have?
If you are asking me, the BP2002's have the built-in subs as indicated in my post.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
hearrean is online now  
post #34707 of 34710 Old Today, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsSonya View Post
Got a question for Bp-80xxst owners as I have the 8060st has anyone ever heard of covering the rear firing drivers before running audyssey. I heard of people laying towels on top to cover the back or putting things in between the driver and socks to run calibration as a monopole. Any thoughts? Is it smart, or is it just plain dumb...
Nope, will just make things not right, better to run it 3 or 4 times and manually adjust from an avg or simply set your distances manually from the beginning.
The reflections of the rear firing and side firing drivers usually cause problems with distance calibration more than anything else, covering and then uncovering that rear driver will throw of the EQ that Audyssey does, odd much rather have my delays (calculated from distances) slightly off than any room EQ'ing.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34708 of 34710 Old Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,268
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
I have a 5.1.2 set-up & I'm using BP 2002 towers with BPX surrounds & an off-brand center. I was using a CLR 2002 center, but the only reason I no longer use that center is because we recently re-did our av cabinet & no longer had room for that center, so I just bought a cheap off-brand. Well, now, I've changed it to where I can go back to the 2002 center. But before I do, I have a question. I can also get a CLR 2300 powered center (just like my mains) at a great price. Would I be better off to do that or simply go back to the CLR 2002? Our viewing room is about 20 ft X 16 ft total, but we sit about 7 ft away from our system/TV since we have a 4K set-up. Opinions?

Thanks,
Ken
IMO, stick with the CLR2002 to have the matching drivers for your BP2002's, while the powered woofer in the 2300 will add something, it would only be if it were in a very open space and even then it would be a toss up as to if it were actually better, since the frequencies and sounds handled by the center really do work better with larger main drivers like 5.25's and 6.5's.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34709 of 34710 Old Today, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hearrean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Port Neches, Tx. (S.E. Texas)
Posts: 1,745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
IMO, stick with the CLR2002 to have the matching drivers for your BP2002's, while the powered woofer in the 2300 will add something, it would only be if it were in a very open space and even then it would be a toss up as to if it were actually better, since the frequencies and sounds handled by the center really do work better with larger main drivers like 5.25's and 6.5's.
Great...Thanks!

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
hearrean is online now  
post #34710 of 34710 Old Today, 02:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsSonya View Post
What kind of subwoofer do you have?
If you are asking me, the BP2002's have the built-in subs as indicated in my post.

Ken
Yeah Ken I was just wondering if that was the case with the subwoofer because I too was also going to say to stick with your center so all the drivers are matched 5.25 opposed to the 4.5 drivers in the 2300 and save the money and maybe spend it to get a separate strategically placed subwoofer.
MyNameIsSonya is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off