Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 283Likes

post #34711 of 34715 Old 09-26-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Question CLR 2500 instead of CLR 2002?

I made an obvious mis-type in an earlier post & need to re-phrase my question so I'm giving accurate info. I have a simple 5.1.2 system w/BP-2002 towers/mains with BPX surrounds. I used to have the CLR 2002 center channel, but not too long ago, as I had posted, I was forced to sell that CLR 2002 because of having to down-size my a/v cabinet. Well, now that issue is resolved & I can go back to a larger cabinet. So my question now is this; since the CLR 2500 is the same center as the CLR 2002 (except the 2500 is powered), should I go to the 2500 or go back to the 2002? I can get a great deal on the 2500 & even lower than I've found for a good used 2002. So if the 2500 is the same center except powered sub (like my BP 2002 towers), it seems that would that be a better speaker? I gave my room size in an earlier post but again it's about 20' X 16' & we sit about 7' away from our LG OLED 4K display. Suggestions!

Thanks,
Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34712 of 34715 Old 09-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
I made an obvious mis-type in an earlier post & need to re-phrase my question so I'm giving accurate info. I have a simple 5.1.2 system w/BP-2002 towers/mains with BPX surrounds. I used to have the CLR 2002 center channel, but not too long ago, as I had posted, I was forced to sell that CLR 2002 because of having to down-size my a/v cabinet. Well, now that issue is resolved & I can go back to a larger cabinet. So my question now is this; since the CLR 2500 is the same center as the CLR 2002 (except the 2500 is powered), should I go to the 2500 or go back to the 2002? I can get a great deal on the 2500 & even lower than I've found for a good used 2002. So if the 2500 is the same center except powered sub (like my BP 2002 towers), it seems that would that be a better speaker? I gave my room size in an earlier post but again it's about 20' X 16' & we sit about 7' away from our LG OLED 4K display. Suggestions!

Thanks,
Ken
If you can get it for cheaper than a 2002, then I say you might as well. Also realizing that it takes power (like your towers) and that you may need to adjust the powered woofer to get the best balance (not everyone is Darth Vader). That said, I don't have any experience with the powered towers/speakers from def tech in comparison to the speakers with just the passive radiators.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Monoprice Multi-format Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, and 2 PM1000 for rears.
post #34713 of 34715 Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
[QUOTE=fredxr2d2;47062929(not everyone is Darth Vader).[/QUOTE]

That made me LOL, but I know exactly what you meant.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA
Denon AVR‑X6200W Receiver
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 L/C/R - ProMonitor 1000 x 4
SVS PB12+ Subwoofer

25TB Plex Media Server
My Home HT Pics
post #34714 of 34715 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I got my Def Tech DI 5.5R's in hand about a week ago, but haven't had the opportunity to put them in the ceiling yet. I had ordered them not thinking that it'd be a problem installing them and running the wire, even in our vaulted ceilings. When my electrician buddy came over to help run PoE cable for the new security system, I told him of my plans and asked his thoughts. He was concerned that I might not be able to do it with the angle that the beams ran and said he'd take a look when he as up in the attic. Excitement quickly turned to panic as I envisioned not being able to use the speakers, being out $290 for them and my dream of having an Atmos/DTS:X setup drifting away.

Thankfully he said he had line of sight to both of the recessed lighting cans that we have up there while he was working, so doing the speakers would be easy enough...phew! I just need to get him out here again to help me do it.

On another note, I had an interesting issue with the SM65 I bought from Baja late last year. I use it as my center and had noticed that I had some fading in and out of the volume of the center channel over the last few weeks. We had been watching a new show that I record OTA and thought, well just bad recordings, but when we switched to other shows, the issue persisted, but was random in nature. I went through alot of troubleshooting in trying to figure it out, changing out Plex clients, server software, etc. Nothing changed it until one evening last week, I finally got down and started messing with the banana plugs going into the center channel while the issue was happening and we could tell right away that was the problem...almost like a loose connection. I pulled the center out and moved the plugs from the top inputs, to the bottom and haven't had an issue since. On the SM65's, does it matter which set of inputs are used? Upper or lower? Could this be a sign of a larger issue?

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA
Denon AVR‑X6200W Receiver
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 L/C/R - ProMonitor 1000 x 4
SVS PB12+ Subwoofer

25TB Plex Media Server
My Home HT Pics
post #34715 of 34715 Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmongerX View Post
I got my Def Tech DI 5.5R's in hand about a week ago, but haven't had the opportunity to put them in the ceiling yet. I had ordered them not thinking that it'd be a problem installing them and running the wire, even in our vaulted ceilings. When my electrician buddy came over to help run PoE cable for the new security system, I told him of my plans and asked his thoughts. He was concerned that I might not be able to do it with the angle that the beams ran and said he'd take a look when he as up in the attic. Excitement quickly turned to panic as I envisioned not being able to use the speakers, being out $290 for them and my dream of having an Atmos/DTS:X setup drifting away.

Thankfully he said he had line of sight to both of the recessed lighting cans that we have up there while he was working, so doing the speakers would be easy enough...phew! I just need to get him out here again to help me do it.

On another note, I had an interesting issue with the SM65 I bought from Baja late last year. I use it as my center and had noticed that I had some fading in and out of the volume of the center channel over the last few weeks. We had been watching a new show that I record OTA and thought, well just bad recordings, but when we switched to other shows, the issue persisted, but was random in nature. I went through alot of troubleshooting in trying to figure it out, changing out Plex clients, server software, etc. Nothing changed it until one evening last week, I finally got down and started messing with the banana plugs going into the center channel while the issue was happening and we could tell right away that was the problem...almost like a loose connection. I pulled the center out and moved the plugs from the top inputs, to the bottom and haven't had an issue since. On the SM65's, does it matter which set of inputs are used? Upper or lower? Could this be a sign of a larger issue?
As long as you have the jumpers connected, it does not matter which set of inputs you use.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Monoprice Multi-format Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, and 2 PM1000 for rears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page