Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 294Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #34891 of 34915 Old 11-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Member
 
rescueswimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat123 View Post
None of these speakers have the capability of going deeper than 80Hz imo. The bass that occurs in the movie explosion and other actions scenes needs a sub that can dig deeper (preferably 20Hz or lower). You won't gain a lot by upgrading to Denon x4200 because the speakers will remain the same. If I were you, I would skip upgrading the receiver and sell the Prosub 1000, take the $$$ to invest in an ID subwoofer (12 inch or 15 inch). You can get advice on the subwoofer on the subwoofer forum - it depends on the volume of the room, listening volume levels, etc. There are several good deals during this week.
Thank you for the info, I'll head over to the sub forum and take a look. The 4200 I figured would not help much with audio, but my 4k setup is currently hindered by the HDCP 2.2 missing from the 2000.

Thanks again
rescueswimmer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34892 of 34915 Old 11-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Anyone still running old school bpx's? Have a chance to pick up a mint pair for $200/bo.
Considering replacing my 8040bp surrounds with them.
Wondering how they would mesh with my sm55's(mains), pc2000 and pm1000's(rears) if I did.
I have two pair in my system. They sound really nice and should be great for your application. $200 is a steal. I use and prefer the old Dt speakers- like the 6.5 drivers in the BP30s and CLR2000 use the bpx for surround and back speakers. Wouldn't mind acquiring a pair of BPVXs and moving one pair of Bpx to height. Bpvx are hard to find.

Last edited by keeper; 11-21-2016 at 05:54 PM.
keeper is offline  
post #34893 of 34915 Old 11-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
I have two pair in my system. They sound really nice and should be great for your application. $200 is a steal. I use and prefer the old Dt speakers- like the 6.5 drivers in the BP30s and CLR2000 use the bpx for surround and back speakers. Wouldn't mind acquiring a pair of BPVXs and moving one pair of Bpx to height. Bpvx are hard to find.
Cool, think I'm going to scoop them up. Seller also has a pair of bp10 towers and a center ( not sure of model) and the bpx's. They're asking $700 for everything

Last edited by subacabra; 11-21-2016 at 06:29 PM.
subacabra is online now  
post #34894 of 34915 Old 11-21-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Cool, think I'm going to scoop them up. Seller also has a pair of bp10 towers and a center ( not sure of model) and the bpx's. They're asking $700 for everything
Just as an FYI, the price is good compared to what I've seen for local sale, $250-300 for the 10's, same for the BPX's, and the extra for any of the CLR's is a deal, esp for the sound quality of that system.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34895 of 34915 Old 11-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Just as an FYI, the price is good compared to what I've seen for local sale, $250-300 for the 10's, same for the BPX's, and the extra for any of the CLR's is a deal, esp for the sound quality of that system.
Yeah, I'm going to offer $500 and see if I can get them for that. Funny thing is between my main system and bedroom system I have 16 Def Tech speakers already lol
Probably just use the bpx's and sell the rest

Update, owner is willing to do $600 for everything. Going to check them out this Sunday.

Last edited by subacabra; 11-22-2016 at 05:25 AM.
subacabra is online now  
post #34896 of 34915 Old 11-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am getting BP9040's and a cs9040, I already have the sr8040bp's in the rear for my new basement setup. What is a few good receiver choices ? I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 in my living room I can try them with but I want to see what others have them paired with and then compare the receiver at a store to see what I like.

Also will I notice a huge difference between the bp9020's and the bp9040's ?

Last edited by WKing89; 11-22-2016 at 02:51 PM.
WKing89 is offline  
post #34897 of 34915 Old 11-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Member
 
50Kuro80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
80 series vs 90 series

Locally I can buy 8080ST along with CS8080--$1800

or

BP9060 and CS9060 for $2000 Delivered

What are the Pro/Con of these speakers....NOTE- I am Not into Atmos...

Any replies appreciated!!!!
50Kuro80 is offline  
post #34898 of 34915 Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKing89 View Post
I am getting BP9040's and a cs9040, I already have the sr8040bp's in the rear for my new basement setup. What is a few good receiver choices ? I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 in my living room I can try them with but I want to see what others have them paired with and then compare the receiver at a store to see what I like.

Also will I notice a huge difference between the bp9020's and the bp9040's ?


Just sent you a PM about those speakers. I have some available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bladekm is offline  
post #34899 of 34915 Old 11-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Member
 
iang153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm looking to replace my paradigm AMS-LCR in-wall speakers - I have space for 2 DT RLS-II speakers for left & right, but the center speaker framing will only allow the RLS-III. And I'm thinking of RSS-II for rear surrounds (need to be mounted about 10' high on the rear wall). Room is about 15 x 20, vaulted ceiling away from the front - yamaha a3050 AVR.
I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a problem in using RLS-II for left and right but RLS-III for center?
2. For the RLS-II I might be 1/2" short in the vertical framing dimension (29.5") so may not be able to get those mounting dogs exactly 90 degrees up - do they lock? Will it be a problem if the mounting clips can be exactly 90 degrees or do they have to 'lock' in place?
Thanks!
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ht1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	1790185  

Last edited by iang153; 11-26-2016 at 10:08 AM.
iang153 is offline  
post #34900 of 34915 Old 11-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Member
 
ducky124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

I just picked up a pair of BP8060's at a great closeout price. I currently have a CLR2002 as my center channel. I am happy with the sound of it paired with the 8060's. I was just wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to a better choice for my center channel.
ducky124 is offline  
post #34901 of 34915 Old 11-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have a pair of bp7000 or bp7001 towers they would consider selling?
slaboi21 is offline  
post #34902 of 34915 Old 11-30-2016, 04:53 PM
PiK
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Center channel and amp recommendation

Which center channel speaker do you recommend for the following setup?
- Front: Mythos ST-L
- Surround (In-ceiling): UIW RSS III

Is CS9080 a good match for ST-L ?

I was thinking about Denon X7200WA. Does it have enough power to drive my 5.1 setup?
PiK is offline  
post #34903 of 34915 Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky124 View Post
I just picked up a pair of BP8060's at a great closeout price. I currently have a CLR2002 as my center channel. I am happy with the sound of it paired with the 8060's. I was just wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to a better choice for my center channel.
Not unless you wanted and have room for, a powered Center, but even then you'd have to go at least xx60 or CLR2500 to come close to the performance of the 2002.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34904 of 34915 Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang153 View Post
I'm looking to replace my paradigm AMS-LCR in-wall speakers - I have space for 2 DT RLS-II speakers for left & right, but the center speaker framing will only allow the RLS-III. And I'm thinking of RSS-II for rear surrounds (need to be mounted about 10' high on the rear wall). Room is about 15 x 20, vaulted ceiling away from the front - yamaha a3050 AVR.
I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a problem in using RLS-II for left and right but RLS-III for center?
2. For the RLS-II I might be 1/2" short in the vertical framing dimension (29.5") so may not be able to get those mounting dogs exactly 90 degrees up - do they lock? Will it be a problem if the mounting clips can be exactly 90 degrees or do they have to 'lock' in place?
Thanks!
Ian
While the RLSII would timbre match and work as the Center, I personally would suggest something else, reason I say this is because the Center plays such an important role and I'm afraid the 6.5's in the II's would just be a little off in there depth and fullness compared to the 5.25's in the III's (this is what I heard when going from 5.25's to 6.5's in my Center)
I personally would use a DI-6.5 LCR to match the II's, or just 3 DI-6.5's LCR's. Or even 3 RLSIII's since you're planning on RSS-II's for your surrounds.

Personally, I'd rather match all 3 or at least make my Center the stronger of them, for HT use.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34905 of 34915 Old 11-30-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Which center channel speaker do you recommend for the following setup?
- Front: Mythos ST-L
- Surround (In-ceiling): UIW RSS III

Is CS9080 a good match for ST-L ?

I was thinking about Denon X7200WA. Does it have enough power to drive my 5.1 setup?
You might want to ask in the Mythos thread, but personally I fell that my Mythos (One's) have a slightly different sound than any of my other "box" speakers with 5.25" drivers, you may want to look into Mythos Centers, but again ask the guys in the Mythos thread.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34906 of 34915 Old 11-30-2016, 08:09 PM
Member
 
iang153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
While the RLSII would timbre match and work as the Center, I personally would suggest something else, reason I say this is because the Center plays such an important role and I'm afraid the 6.5's in the II's would just be a little off in there depth and fullness compared to the 5.25's in the III's (this is what I heard when going from 5.25's to 6.5's in my Center)
I personally would use a DI-6.5 LCR to match the II's, or just 3 DI-6.5's LCR's. Or even 3 RLSIII's since you're planning on RSS-II's for your surrounds.

Personally, I'd rather match all 3 or at least make my Center the stronger of them, for HT use.
Thanks for taking the time to write that - managed to get through to DT support and they agree with you that matching will be better than mixing, even if it means doing RLS III all around - important point about making the center a strong speaker ....

and do the mounting dogs and the RLS speakers NEED to be a full 90 degrees out, or just enough to catch some of the drywall along one edge?

thanks again!
iang153 is offline  
post #34907 of 34915 Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang153 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that - managed to get through to DT support and they agree with you that matching will be better than mixing, even if it means doing RLS III all around - important point about making the center a strong speaker ....

and do the mounting dogs and the RLS speakers NEED to be a full 90 degrees out, or just enough to catch some of the drywall along one edge?

thanks again!
Sorry, can't help you with the mounting, while I've heard these, I've never owned or installed them.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34908 of 34915 Old 11-30-2016, 10:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New deftech owner here! A few config questions.

I just upgraded my entire theater system, pioneer elite sc-lx701, 65" Samsung 10-bit 4k screen and for deftech, bp-8060's with the a60's on top and bp-8040's handling surround rear.

I've left my old stuff, to some extent, in the mix, primarily two Klipsch 12" powered subs and two bookshelf Klipsch synergys for surround sides (which I'll replace with deftech in a few months).

Question is, my pioneer has two sub pre-outs. Should i run each individually to the Klipsch 12" subs or should I run y splitters on both pre-outs, one set going to the Klipsch 12's the other set going to lfe on the deftech 8060's???

Any/all comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!
mdconsco is offline  
post #34909 of 34915 Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 AM
Member
 
iang153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Sorry, can't help you with the mounting, while I've heard these, I've never owned or installed them.
I understand - thanks!
iang153 is offline  
post #34910 of 34915 Old 12-01-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
truwarrior22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaboi21 View Post
Does anyone have a pair of bp7000 or bp7001 towers they would consider selling?
PM sent.
truwarrior22 is offline  
post #34911 of 34915 Old 12-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaboi21 View Post
Does anyone have a pair of bp7000 or bp7001 towers they would consider selling?
PM sent.

Thank you for responding. Sent you my info, not sure how many pm's I get since I'm relatively new to forum.
slaboi21 is offline  
post #34912 of 34915 Old 12-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Member
 
jugsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know, off hand, the difference between the DT and DI series in wall/in ceiling speakers? The DTs seemed to be priced a bit cheaper versus their DI counterparts.

LG OLED65C6P
Pioneer SC-95 AVR
L/C/R: Paradigm Millenia 20 LCRs
Surrounds (4): Axiom Audio M2 In-Wall Speakers
Sub: Klipsch Reference RW-12d
jugsta is offline  
post #34913 of 34915 Old 12-01-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdconsco View Post
New deftech owner here! A few config questions.

I just upgraded my entire theater system, pioneer elite sc-lx701, 65" Samsung 10-bit 4k screen and for deftech, bp-8060's with the a60's on top and bp-8040's handling surround rear.

I've left my old stuff, to some extent, in the mix, primarily two Klipsch 12" powered subs and two bookshelf Klipsch synergys for surround sides (which I'll replace with deftech in a few months).

Question is, my pioneer has two sub pre-outs. Should i run each individually to the Klipsch 12" subs or should I run y splitters on both pre-outs, one set going to the Klipsch 12's the other set going to lfe on the deftech 8060's???

Any/all comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!
Option 1: (the way you were considering)
One Sub output, split to the low level input of your 8060's, speakers set to Small w/ 80hz crossover.
Other Sub output, split to your Klipsch.

Option 2:
Each Sub out to your Klipsch only, speaker wire only to your 8060's, speakers set to Small w/ 80hz crossover. (Yes the powered subs in the speakers will still be working and have an effect on the sound)

Option 3:
Each Sub out to your Klipsch only, speaker wire only to your 8060's, speakers set to Large.

Much of this depends on your room and personal taste, just play with these different configurations and pick which "you" like best.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #34914 of 34915 Old 12-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Member
 
stevejason777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just had my new BP9060's , CS 9060, and Denon 4300 delivered. Probably do the setup tomorrow.

Last edited by stevejason777; 12-02-2016 at 04:29 PM.
stevejason777 is offline  
post #34915 of 34915 Old Today, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
bobby_t1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have BP8060s for L+R, and a CS8080HD for the center. Been running 3.1 system for awhile due to apartment. Moving into a house soon and snagged a pair of SR8040 surrounds for only $295 locally!

My sofa will be right up against the wall, and I think wall mounting is out of the questoin since it'll look like crap and definite WAF problem.

I think stands will be better. Anyone have recommendations?
bobby_t1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off