Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1183 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 390Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2017, 06:09 PM
Newbie
 
Jameshtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey DT owners,

I hear lots of good things about the BP-9080x towers and i'm leaning towards it. For any of you all that has them, are you happy with it so far? Best buy gave me a demo but speakers do not sound the same in my house as in the store. Please share your opinions as these speakers are not cheap. Thx

James fr Houston
Jameshtx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Hey DT owners,

I hear lots of good things about the BP-9080x towers and i'm leaning towards it. For any of you all that has them, are you happy with it so far? Best buy gave me a demo but speakers do not sound the same in my house as in the store. Please share your opinions as these speakers are not cheap. Thx

James fr Houston
I love Def Tech speakers, but I moved away from the bipolar models a long time again because they are very tough to place in your room for optimization. If you can though bipolar speakers sound fantastic. You need to experiment. They need I think at least 6 inches from a back wall but I think a foot is ideal. In my case I had no back wall at all and that is the worst situation. You have to toe them in just right too. Move them around and see. I think also that they need enough space appart too. Too close together is not good, too far apart is no good. So they are tough to place. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
Well, obviously you wouldn't use the material/veneer over the cones themselves. Or, what if you wanted white cloth, or red...could you have a custom sock made for your speakers and slip a new cover over them?


If you were crafty enough to pull it off Id love to see how they look.
Gonzilla13 is online now  
 
Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I love Def Tech speakers, but I moved away from the bipolar models a long time again because they are very tough to place in your room for optimization. If you can though bipolar speakers sound fantastic. You need to experiment. They need I think at least 6 inches from a back wall but I think a foot is ideal. In my case I had no back wall at all and that is the worst situation. You have to toe them in just right too. Move them around and see. I think also that they need enough space appart too. Too close together is not good, too far apart is no good. So they are tough to place. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


+1 to that. Ive had bipolar towers for a couple years now. I am happy with them but Im still constantly tweaking their positions.
Gonzilla13 is online now  
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
grandmaison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
+1 to that. Ive had bipolar towers for a couple years now. I am happy with them but Im still constantly tweaking their positions.
What kind of configuration do you use for them and space between them and what clearance do they have to any wall behind them?

Also, if you've got surrounds, what do you use for them? I'd like to eventually have a 5.1.4 system- and I'm leaning towards DefTech- but I hear all kinds of pros/cons about them.
grandmaison is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
grandmaison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
If you were crafty enough to pull it off Id love to see how they look.
Well, I'm really wondering about being able to replace the fabric in general. That lead me to thinking about the possibilities of other material combinations. My tower speakers always have had a wood veneer finish and that usually holds up well over time. The fabric on them typically fades, becomes brittle, mars, picks up dust/animal hair, etc. AND, fabric is impossible to clean. Wood veneer usually cleans up well.

So my fear is that the fabric on them might look terrible in 10 years.

(I also did notice that on the units on display at my local MagHiFi that there were some very unsightly wrinkles in the fabric where someone had stretched it by moving the speaker around- I didn't try to see if they could easily be smoothed out, likely so.)

Last edited by grandmaison; 04-17-2017 at 07:31 AM.
grandmaison is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
What kind of configuration do you use for them and space between them and what clearance do they have to any wall behind them?

Also, if you've got surrounds, what do you use for them? I'd like to eventually have a 5.1.4 system- and I'm leaning towards DefTech- but I hear all kinds of pros/cons about them.



I run a 7.1 set up currently. I have BP2006TL for my front channels that sit about 18-20" from my living room wall. With my entertainment center between them where my center channel sits Id say they are about 7-8 feet apart or so. I use SR8080BP as my surrounds. With the way my living room is set up I have to use wall mounts. I ran rear towers at my previous residence and didn't notice any benefit. It all comes down to preference & room layout.


With DT speakers it all boils down to what sounds good to you. I upgraded from entry level Infinity towers to DT a few years back and have been very happy. I have the space to run a bipolar tower though so Im lucky in that respect. DT speakers don't sound bad, some folks just prefer the way other speakers perform. If you have the space for a bipolar speaker, you get a lot of bang for your buck with DT products.



If youre worried about the socks on them just buy a spare pair of socks when you get the speakers.

Plus, their customer support is truly second to none.

Last edited by Gonzilla13; 04-17-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Gonzilla13 is online now  
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Member
 
alfa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Hey DT owners,

I hear lots of good things about the BP-9080x towers and i'm leaning towards it. For any of you all that has them, are you happy with it so far? Best buy gave me a demo but speakers do not sound the same in my house as in the store. Please share your opinions as these speakers are not cheap. Thx

James fr Houston


I currently have a 5.0.4 Atmos setup with BP8060 for mains and a CS8060 center. I am very happy with the sound of my system, but I was very curious about the new 9000 series, so I went to a few BB Magnolias in my area to check them out. The 9040's sounded nice, a little brighter than my 8060's, but nothing earth shattering. At another Magnolia they had the 9060's, which I found significantly better than the 9040's, smoother and better balanced than the 9040's. I had heard that the 9080's were only on display at magnolia design centers (not in my area), but one day I was at a BB in a nearby town and there was a 9080 surround setup all by itself in a Magnolia room (the room with the projector). I listened to just music, mostly in stereo, and I was just blown away by how good they sounded - I think on a different level from the 9040's and even the 9060's.


They were effortlessly powerful, driven by a Pioneer Elite receiver, very detailed, yet not harsh at the top end. I recently went to a high end stereo shop and listened for about an hour, with my own CD's, to Revel F208's and Goldenear Triton Ones (both about $5000 per pair), and on balance preferred the 9080's to the Triton Ones. The bass on the Triton's was ever so slightly muddy/boomy, even when turning down the subwoofer level, while the bass on the 9080's was more powerful, yet tighter. Also, I thought the plastic pieces on the Triton's looked slightly cheap, while the 9080's definitely look higher end. The Revel's were just about perfect in imaging, detail, smoothness - just great speakers. And they are incredibly good looking with the cherry wood finish. But, the bass response of the F208's, while being excellent, just didn't have the power or impact of the 9080's. No big deal with acoustic, orchestral, or vocal music, but with bass heavy recordings I preferred the 9080's.


The midrange and treble were a little more detailed, and yet smooth, on the Revel's, so I guess I would give them the nod as the 'better" speaker over the 9080's, but I really loved them both, with the Triton One's being my least favorite. I will say that the Triton's were placed too close together in the store, so that may explain the issues with the bass, who knows. And the Revel's, while unquestionably great speakers, would need an additional subwoofer for home theater, and need more power to drive than the 9080's, so you would probably need an extra amp and sub, while the 9080's can be driven fine with a good AVR, and don't need an additional sub - and the center channel for the Revel's is gigantic, FYI.


Also, some of the other posters who commented on the difficulty placing bipolar speakers I believe own earlier Def Tech series which do not have the "forward focused" design that attenuates rear output by 6 DB's. The newer series (8000 and 9000) can be placed just about anywhere a conventional speaker can, and in fact my 8060ST's sound better, with tighter base, and better imaging, spread fairly wide apart, about 10 inches from the side and front walls, towed in slightly - of course this is room-dependent, but just my experience.


Anyway, the 9080's sound great - I think Sound & Vision named them their speaker of the year for 2016. They are really big, though, I'm not sure my wife would let me put them in the family room where the 8060's are if I were to ever upgrade You should definitely give them a listen if you can find them. Also, Bajawaverunner has refurb 9080's at a 29% discount from MSRP right now I believe, a great deal I think.
pmeintel likes this.
alfa1 is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Newbie
 
Jameshtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for your input Alfa & HetfieldJames. Memorial day is coming and hoping it'll go on sale.
Jameshtx is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Preparing to buy a complete Definitive technology surround system 7.1.4. along with the Marantz 6011 receiver! So far I am going to use the 9080x for the front channels and CS9080 center speaker. Trying to decide on either the floorstanders or smaller surrounds for the surround back and side speakers?
Sharp1080 is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 97
So what's the deal with Best Buy not having the ProCenter 2000 anymore? I currently have the ProCenter 1000 and "think" I want to upgrade. Is it worth the money to go from the 1000 to the 2000? I have a 7.2 setup with SM45 fronts, PC1000, (4) PM800 surrounds, and dual PB-1000 subs.
Falconsfan71 is offline  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Pics to go with above post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137_1492648197821.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	2092465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126_1492648215089.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2092473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127_1492648238983.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2092481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047_1492648251156.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2092489  
Falconsfan71 is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 AM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
So what's the deal with Best Buy not having the ProCenter 2000 anymore? I currently have the ProCenter 1000 and "think" I want to upgrade. Is it worth the money to go from the 1000 to the 2000? I have a 7.2 setup with SM45 fronts, PC1000, (4) PM800 surrounds, and dual PB-1000 subs.
Worth it. Go get one off of Ebay.
Gonzilla13 is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
So what's the deal with Best Buy not having the ProCenter 2000 anymore? I currently have the ProCenter 1000 and "think" I want to upgrade. Is it worth the money to go from the 1000 to the 2000? I have a 7.2 setup with SM45 fronts, PC1000, (4) PM800 surrounds, and dual PB-1000 subs.
Try Crutchfield, they usually have open box or scratch and dent at a good price. You get 60 days to return.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
So what's the deal with Best Buy not having the ProCenter 2000 anymore? I currently have the ProCenter 1000 and "think" I want to upgrade. Is it worth the money to go from the 1000 to the 2000? I have a 7.2 setup with SM45 fronts, PC1000, (4) PM800 surrounds, and dual PB-1000 subs.
Don't shy away from a CLR2002 (or even 2500) as well. I moved from a PC1000 to a CLR2002 (and from PM800 fronts to SM350s) and while the PC 1000 is a solid center for its size there's no contest with the bigger centers.

Note that whatever you get, it won't fit in the same space as your current PC1000. You'll need to wall-mount the TV or otherwise raise it.
KSpan is online now  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 AM
Member
 
pmeintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
So what's the deal with Best Buy not having the ProCenter 2000 anymore? I currently have the ProCenter 1000 and "think" I want to upgrade. Is it worth the money to go from the 1000 to the 2000? I have a 7.2 setup with SM45 fronts, PC1000, (4) PM800 surrounds, and dual PB-1000 subs.
Without a doubt, definitely worth stepping up to the PC2000. . Try bajawaverunner on Ebay.

"These go to eleven."
Great words from Nigel Tufnel.

Gear:
Sony KDL55W800C, LG BD570, Pioneer SC-95, FL/FR - DefTech SM65, C- DefTech PC2000,
FLH/FRH - DefTech PM1000, SL/SR - DefTech SR8040BP, Sub - DefTech Supercube 2000
pmeintel is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Don't shy away from a CLR2002 (or even 2500) as well. I moved from a PC1000 to a CLR2002 (and from PM800 fronts to SM350s) and while the PC 1000 is a solid center for its size there's no contest with the bigger centers.

Note that whatever you get, it won't fit in the same space as your current PC1000. You'll need to wall-mount the TV or otherwise raise it.
That CLR2002 is bigger than my AVR and I'll be able to fit the PC2000 in my tv console easier than anything any bigger. I can drop the shelf that the Dtv box is on about an inch and the PC2000 will fit. That's the shelf directly below where the PC1000 is now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137_1492772472997.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	2094649  
Falconsfan71 is offline  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
That CLR2002 is bigger than my AVR and I'll be able to fit the PC2000 in my tv console easier than anything any bigger. I can drop the shelf that the Dtv box is on about an inch and the PC2000 will fit. That's the shelf directly below where the PC1000 is now.
OK cool - thought it worth mentioning. I actually got my new TV stand built and in place this week and now have the TV at a good height with the 2002 in place and man does it sound good. You should definitely pull the trigger if/when you find a PC2000 at a price you're happy with. We have pretty similar front setups, though mine is obviously a generation older, so I think you will also find it a massive improvement.
KSpan is online now  
Old 04-21-2017, 05:27 AM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Preparing to buy a complete Definitive technology surround system 7.1.4. along with the Marantz 6011 receiver! So far I am going to use the 9080x for the front channels and CS9080 center speaker. Trying to decide on either the floorstanders or smaller surrounds for the surround back and side speakers?


Are you looking to wall mount? Some timbre matching studio monitors on stands would make that system boom. But then again, so would another pair of 9080s for your rears!
Gonzilla13 is online now  
Old Yesterday, 12:03 AM
Member
 
PSUSith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Bi-Amp Wiring for BP2002TLs

I have a pair of BP2002TLs that I've been bi-amping for awhile with my new Pioneer Elite SC-LX801. However, I'm not sure if I'm running the optimal bi-amp configuration. These speakers are a little old (10 years) but are still top of the line as far as I can tell, and they have tri-wire ports. I'm running the receiver in Bi-Amp mode with a 80 Hz crossover. I have a pair of some high-end monster Bi-Wire cable that I'm running to the Highs and Mids. Then I'm running another run of comparable monster speaker cable to the Low inputs. I'm thinking a better configuration would be to ditch the bi-wire cable and connect two runs of identical speaker cable to the Highs and Mids (altering the crossover for that range - 5 KHz?) and then use the .2 sub outs to run a coax to the LFE ports. Anyone have any experience with these (or similar) speakers that can provide insight?
PSUSith is offline  
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
Are you looking to wall mount? Some timbre matching studio monitors on stands would make that system boom. But then again, so would another pair of 9080s for your rears!
Thanks Gonzilla for the suggestions. Floor standers will work better. Wall mounting out of the question. I ended up with the BP9080X fronts, CS9080 center, BP9060 for rears, and the BP9020 for the side surround speakers!
Sharp1080 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Thanks Gonzilla for the suggestions. Floor standers will work better. Wall mounting out of the question. I ended up with the BP9080X fronts, CS9080 center, BP9060 for rears, and the BP9020 for the side surround speakers!
That's one hell of a set up!


Why not the 9060s as surrounds and the 9020s as rears?
Gonzilla13 is online now  
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 2,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
That's one hell of a set up!


Why not the 9060s as surrounds and the 9020s as rears?
That is the correct order. I had them listed in different positions.
Sharp1080 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
grandmaison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I may have just ordered two BP9060 with A90s and a CS9060 from Difinitive Technology's website. They are having a promotional now and will discount the price of the A90s if one purchases two BP9060s. I'll be pairing them with a Pioneer SC-XL801. Right now I'm using some KEF 104/2 floor speakers for my fronts and a HTIB Energy Encore Take5 Classic system for my heights, sub, center and surrounds.

Will I hear a difference??? I'm not sure what to do about surrounds and secondary heights for the atmos- I may just demote my KEFs to be surrounds and use the energy satelittes for my rear heights for the atmos for now.

Anyone ever order from DT directly? How long does it take for them to process the order typically and how long does it take to ship to Northern California?
grandmaison is offline  
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
I may have just ordered two BP9060 with A90s and a CS9060 from Difinitive Technology's website. They are having a promotional now and will discount the price of the A90s if one purchases two BP9060s. I'll be pairing them with a Pioneer SC-XL801. Right now I'm using some KEF 104/2 floor speakers for my fronts and a HTIB Energy Encore Take5 Classic system for my heights, sub, center and surrounds.

Will I hear a difference??? I'm not sure what to do about surrounds and secondary heights for the atmos- I may just demote my KEFs to be surrounds and use the energy satelittes for my rear heights for the atmos for now.

Anyone ever order from DT directly? How long does it take for them to process the order typically and how long does it take to ship to Northern California?
I think you will hear a huge difference. You ordered some nice speakers. You do need surrounds like you said. Look at their on wall bipolar wedge type surrounds. I think it's the 9040 and 9080 speakers. I have never ordered directly from Definitive Technology but have been curious about the questions you brought up and what if you need service. I know Def Tech will trake care of you, I have no doubt if you need anything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
I may have just ordered two BP9060 with A90s and a CS9060 from Difinitive Technology's website. They are having a promotional now and will discount the price of the A90s if one purchases two BP9060s. I'll be pairing them with a Pioneer SC-XL801. Right now I'm using some KEF 104/2 floor speakers for my fronts and a HTIB Energy Encore Take5 Classic system for my heights, sub, center and surrounds.

Will I hear a difference??? I'm not sure what to do about surrounds and secondary heights for the atmos- I may just demote my KEFs to be surrounds and use the energy satelittes for my rear heights for the atmos for now.

Anyone ever order from DT directly? How long does it take for them to process the order typically and how long does it take to ship to Northern California?
being a bipolar speaker it needs room, if you can place the bp9060 about 1 foot from the wall I think you will be surprised at the sound stage it produces.
very wide and full with solid bass response

the kef are fine speakers but I am sure the new 9060 will put a grin on your face
let us know what you think when you get them setup

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
littlefoott is offline  
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
grandmaison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
being a bipolar speaker it needs room, if you can place the bp9060 about 1 foot from the wall I think you will be surprised at the sound stage it produces.
very wide and full with solid bass response

the kef are fine speakers but I am sure the new 9060 will put a grin on your face
let us know what you think when you get them setup
My room isn't huge, it's about 12'-6"x18'-0"...and my media center is on a wall that also has a door on the far left side of that wall. So, I'm planning on raising my 70" SonyXBR and mounting it to the wall (it currently uses the factory legs to sit atop the media cabinet). I need to raise it for the new center speaker to sit below the tv and on the media center. I'm hoping to place each of the towers on each side of the media cabinet, and as far forward as practical. Since they're 16" deep and the front of my cabinet is 26" from the wall, I'm hoping 10" to the back wall will work well enough for the bipolar elements. The media cabinet is 25" high and my CS9060 will sit centered on it. The cabinet is 6'-8" long- so that means my towers will end up being placed about 7' apart...not much, but I think it will work out for me.

Still not sure what to do about the surrounds and rear heights....money's not there to do it all at once anyway.
grandmaison is offline  
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
My room isn't huge, it's about 12'-6"x18'-0"...and my media center is on a wall that also has a door on the far left side of that wall. So, I'm planning on raising my 70" SonyXBR and mounting it to the wall (it currently uses the factory legs to sit atop the media cabinet). I need to raise it for the new center speaker to sit below the tv and on the media center. I'm hoping to place each of the towers on each side of the media cabinet, and as far forward as practical. Since they're 16" deep and the front of my cabinet is 26" from the wall, I'm hoping 10" to the back wall will work well enough for the bipolar elements. The media cabinet is 25" high and my CS9060 will sit centered on it. The cabinet is 6'-8" long- so that means my towers will end up being placed about 7' apart...not much, but I think it will work out for me.

Still not sure what to do about the surrounds and rear heights....money's not there to do it all at once anyway.
(my 8060's are about 7' apart an 9-10 inches from the wall)
7' will be fine for stereo imaging and the center to shore up the movies and will really solidify the front stage.
for surrounds the timbre matching is not really necessary so your old surrounds will be fine for now and you can reassess in the future

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
littlefoott is offline  
Old Today, 03:17 AM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I think you will hear a huge difference. You ordered some nice speakers. You do need surrounds like you said. Look at their on wall bipolar wedge type surrounds. I think it's the 9040 and 9080 speakers. I have never ordered directly from Definitive Technology but have been curious about the questions you brought up and what if you need service. I know Def Tech will trake care of you, I have no doubt if you need anything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Go with the SR9080s as surrounds when its time to make that purchase
Gonzilla13 is online now  
Old Today, 03:19 AM
Member
 
Gonzilla13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
My room isn't huge, it's about 12'-6"x18'-0"...and my media center is on a wall that also has a door on the far left side of that wall. So, I'm planning on raising my 70" SonyXBR and mounting it to the wall (it currently uses the factory legs to sit atop the media cabinet). I need to raise it for the new center speaker to sit below the tv and on the media center. I'm hoping to place each of the towers on each side of the media cabinet, and as far forward as practical. Since they're 16" deep and the front of my cabinet is 26" from the wall, I'm hoping 10" to the back wall will work well enough for the bipolar elements. The media cabinet is 25" high and my CS9060 will sit centered on it. The cabinet is 6'-8" long- so that means my towers will end up being placed about 7' apart...not much, but I think it will work out for me.

Still not sure what to do about the surrounds and rear heights....money's not there to do it all at once anyway.
You should be fine in terms of front sound stage speaker placement. When you get everything set up youll need to tweak it anyways.
Gonzilla13 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off