Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 392Likes

post #35491 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaison View Post
My room isn't huge, it's about 12'-6"x18'-0"...and my media center is on a wall that also has a door on the far left side of that wall. So, I'm planning on raising my 70" SonyXBR and mounting it to the wall (it currently uses the factory legs to sit atop the media cabinet). I need to raise it for the new center speaker to sit below the tv and on the media center. I'm hoping to place each of the towers on each side of the media cabinet, and as far forward as practical. Since they're 16" deep and the front of my cabinet is 26" from the wall, I'm hoping 10" to the back wall will work well enough for the bipolar elements. The media cabinet is 25" high and my CS9060 will sit centered on it. The cabinet is 6'-8" long- so that means my towers will end up being placed about 7' apart...not much, but I think it will work out for me.

Still not sure what to do about the surrounds and rear heights....money's not there to do it all at once anyway.
I am doing the same thing as you! I just had my Sony mounted last Friday and also raised it 8 inches higher to accomodate the CS9080 center channel. Having owned bipolar speakers in the past I know that the further out they are placed the better the soundstage imaging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35492 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I am doing the same thing as you! I just had my Sony mounted last Friday and also raised it 8 inches higher to accomodate the CS9080 center channel. Having owned bipolar speakers in the past I know that the further out they are placed the better the soundstage imaging.
That's the thing with bipolar speakers, if you have the right space, the right room for them and place them right there is no better soundstage around. It's quite incredible, the parameters have to be right though and that's tough for a lot of people. Awesome if you do though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #35493 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
That's the thing with bipolar speakers, if you have the right space, the right room for them and place them right there is no better soundstage around. It's quite incredible, the parameters have to be right though and that's tough for a lot of people. Awesome if you do though.

I have no more WAF to deal with so I am okay with placement wherever needed.

post #35494 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I have no more WAF to deal with so I am okay with placement wherever needed.
I have a wife, I just don't care when it comes to the home theater. She can do what she wants with every other room, but I do what I want when it comes to the home theater. I don't have bipolar speakers and I don't miss them. I have an all Def Tech non-bipolar system, other than the sub which is SVS.

post #35495 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd like to try going without a sub and using the BP9060's 10" subs as a separate LFE input. But, that doesn't seem to be the "preferred" method according to the manual.

Does anyone forgo the use of a separate sub and only use the two towers?

(Haven't yet received any kind of email from DT as regards my order placed yesterday. Hopefully I will get some kind of receipt tomorrow and some idea of shipping/arrival dates.)
post #35496 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'd like to try going without a sub and using the BP9060's 10" subs as a separate LFE input. But, that doesn't seem to be the "preferred" method according to the manual.

(Haven't yet received any kind of email from DT as regards my order placed yesterday. Hopefully I will get some kind of receipt tomorrow and some idea of shipping/arrival dates.)
I did just that for years and it was ok but nothing like having a real sub. I wish it would have been but it's not enough. Then I was dumb enough to buy a DT sub which is overpriced for the performance. Years down the road I smartened up and have an SVS PB-1000 and this how a sub should sound and perform.

post #35497 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I have a pair of BP-8060's and have been using the LFE RCA cable on them for the past 15 months. I'm considering getting a SVS PB2000 if not 2 of them. Still looking at HSU or Rythmik but leaning more towards the SVS. I know one will fit in front where my mains are, I don't know if I can squeeze a second upfront due to the placement/area restriction that I have now.

Just biding my time till I round up enough cash to buy one (or two).
post #35498 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Question for all those in the "know", I currently utilize a DT Supercube 2000 as my one and only sub (the rest of my system is noted in my signature as well). I would really like to add an additional sub to lessen the load and to smooth the response in my room. My room is approximately 16'W x 22'L x 8'H and is partially open (8' open doorway) to another room. I know for the most part the def tech subs are considered over priced for their performance yet If I had the opportunity to add a 2nd def tech SC2000 for a pretty reasonable price (say around $300) do you all think that this would be a sensible route to take? Also not sure if this is the best place to post this question yet I haven't been steered wrong by you all yet . Thanks ahead of time for your opinions and experiences.

"These go to eleven."
Great words from Nigel Tufnel.

Gear:
Sony KDL55W800C, LG BD570, Pioneer SC-95, FL/FR - DefTech SM65, C- DefTech PC2000,
FLH/FRH - DefTech PM1000, SL/SR - DefTech SR8040BP, Sub - DefTech Supercube 2000
post #35499 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeintel View Post
Question for all those in the "know", I currently utilize a DT Supercube 2000 as my one and only sub (the rest of my system is noted in my signature as well). I would really like to add an additional sub to lessen the load and to smooth the response in my room. My room is approximately 16'W x 22'L x 8'H and is partially open (8' open doorway) to another room. I know for the most part the def tech subs are considered over priced for their performance yet If I had the opportunity to add a 2nd def tech SC2000 for a pretty reasonable price (say around $300) do you all think that this would be a sensible route to take? Also not sure if this is the best place to post this question yet I haven't been steered wrong by you all yet . Thanks ahead of time for your opinions and experiences.
Personally I think you'd be better off with one SVS PB-1000 and forgetting about the SC 2000. That's just my opinion. You could try a second SC 2000 and see.

post #35500 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
If you can get a used SC2000 for $200-$250 then your dollar -per- performance ratio will be in line, but....

The real question is "how big is your space" this will tell you if it's even worth doubling up on such small subs, and with the size of your room + the extra room, I'm thinking you really need something more than a pair of SC2000's to really make a purchase worth it, while smoothing out your frequency response for more than one or two seats is a good idea, if your going to spend money to achieve this, might as well throw having Subs capable of pressurizing your space and dipping into those really low frequencies, into the mix, even if it means mis-matching them for a while.
pmeintel likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 01:46 AM.
post #35501 of 35509 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
adding a second identical sub will smooth out the bass response in the room and seating positions but make no difference in frequency range.
pmeintel likes this.

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #35502 of 35509 Old Today, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecodder View Post
I have a pair of BP-8060's and have been using the LFE RCA cable on them for the past 15 months. I'm considering getting a SVS PB2000 if not 2 of them. Still looking at HSU or Rythmik but leaning more towards the SVS. I know one will fit in front where my mains are, I don't know if I can squeeze a second upfront due to the placement/area restriction that I have now.

Just biding my time till I round up enough cash to buy one (or two).
I just installed a Hsu VTF2-MK5 to supplement my Def 8040's. What a nice difference, especially with a 1/3 octave 31-band equalizer with a sub output so I can tweak the lower 5, 1/3 octaves: 20, 25, 31.5, 40 and 60 Hz.

Outlaw Audio RR2150 integrated amp; Definitive BP 8040 (2), Hsu VTF2-MK5 sub, Rockville 31 band equalizer w/sub out. Sources: Nvidia Shield tablet with USB out to amp; Logitech Squeezebox; Amazon Echo "Dot"; CD player.
post #35503 of 35509 Old Today, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 98
SO.. where can I find a ProCenter 2000 for a good deal??? There's no reburbished (which I've never bought) on eBay bahawaverunner's site so they must be out of stock. A Magnolia Design Center in Best Buy that's over an hour away from me wants $300 for a new one. It's $314 new currently on DT's website. I see a couple of "like new" on Amazon for around $235-$259 but without knowing the history or without actual pics I'm a little skeptical. I have the PC1000 now but have been thinking about going bigger since I just got some new Studio Monitor 45's and dual PB-1000's.

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 AVR * Def Tech Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 1000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (sides & rears) * dual SVS PB-1000 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * Def Tech ProMount 90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
post #35504 of 35509 Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
SO.. where can I find a ProCenter 2000 for a good deal??? There's no reburbished (which I've never bought) on eBay bahawaverunner's site so they must be out of stock. A Magnolia Design Center in Best Buy that's over an hour away from me wants $300 for a new one. It's $314 new currently on DT's website. I see a couple of "like new" on Amazon for around $235-$259 but without knowing the history or without actual pics I'm a little skeptical. I have the PC1000 now but have been thinking about going bigger since I just got some new Studio Monitor 45's and dual PB-1000's.
I would go for "like new" listing from Electronics Expo @amazon . They are a big store and have good rating on Amazon as well.

Def Tech BP8 Front L/R with Def Tech SM350 Front heights [Dolby Pliiz]
Def Tech CLR2002 Center / Def Tech Pro1000 Surrounds L/R
Hsu VTF3 MK5 Sub

post #35505 of 35509 Old Today, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking about adding sr 9080 surrounds but was wondering since I want a full atmos, would rear bp9040's/bp9020's with a90 modules work best? I currently have bp 9060's with a90's for fronts. Have had the system setup for only a week now and love what I have so far.

Visio 75" P75-c1
Denon AVR 4300H
Def Tech 9060 Fronts w/ A90 modules
Def Tech 9060 Center
BIC PL-200 sub

Last edited by hellcinder; Today at 04:41 PM.
post #35506 of 35509 Old Today, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thinking of switching up my speakers due to running atmos. Currently I am using Bp30s, clr 2000, and bpx x4 plus two additional di6.5 for atmos and will probably add two more in the future. Atmos recommends ear level surrounds so my problem is hanging the bpx that low doesn't look good. I just acquired an additional clr2000 and will purchase another to replace the side Bpx. I like the bipolar surrounds but I'd imagine the clr2000 is probably a better speaker. Any thoughts?
post #35507 of 35509 Old Today, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
A Magnolia Design Center in Best Buy that's over an hour away from me wants $300 for a new one.
I assume they aren't willing to ship? The advantage there is returns, assuming they let you return to a local BB instead of the hour away store.

Mentioned this alternative earlier, but if you have a discover card, you can buy from BB, then try doing a credit card pricematch at $250ish from newaudiounited. If it doesn't work or you don't like the speaker, return back to BB. Alternative is to just wait ebay out.

Last edited by Doe Doe; Today at 06:22 PM.
post #35508 of 35509 Old Today, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, I received confirmation from DefTech on my order...now I just await shipping.

(Feels kind of like waiting for Xmas to get here.)
post #35509 of 35509 Old Today, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci View Post
I just installed a Hsu VTF2-MK5 to supplement my Def 8040's. What a nice difference, especially with a 1/3 octave 31-band equalizer with a sub output so I can tweak the lower 5, 1/3 octaves: 20, 25, 31.5, 40 and 60 Hz.
Guess I'm not as informed when you talk about tweaking the lower octaves.

Prior to November 2015 I never had a home theater system so I'm still finding useful tips on here. I had my system setup by a home theater installer, but I didn't really like the levels set, so I get a old fashioned SPL (not digital) and ran the calibration again adjusting my levels to 80DB instead of 75DB.

The HUSU's that you mentioned are smaller in width 15" which may fit better. As it is now with 17" Wide subwoofers (such as SVS PB-2000) one I could fit, the other would almost be right against a main tower with maybe an inch of room. My right speaker is about 19" to the right of the tv stand. My left speaker is placed about 22" inches to the left of the tv stand. TV stand is 48" in length. I may have to look further at those HSU's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page