Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 407Likes
post #35581 of 35596 Old Today, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
100% agree. Buy what you want, and buy what sounds good to you.

When youre sitting in your theater it doesn't matter who has what components in their signature, its matters that you are enjoying your listening experience.
It has taken me a long time in this hobby to understand a very, very important rule, money does not automatically equate to better. SVS, Rythmic, RSL speakers, and a whole host of online only companies prove this every day. Emotiva, and Outlaw audio prove this everday. I'll say it again, F the snobs. I'm thinking of starting a website called "F the audio snobs" and just point people in the direction of actually affordable high quality audio equipment. The problem is Audioholics already does just that

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Gonzilla13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35582 of 35596 Old Today, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah well in this crazy hobby you have snobs on here that say Def Tech is absolutely garbage and PSA or JTR are the only real speakers to buy. There are a lot of snobs in this hobby. I'm just a regular dude, on a regular salary so to me Def Tech is very good. Same with SVS, and as I said I bet HSU and Rythmic are great too. Don't let the snobs tell you what to buy because frankly F the snobs. I run into them all the time on here and other forums.
I just ordered 2 RSL CG3 speakers, 135 each and get great reviews. I'm putting together a smaller setup for the bedroom with RSL speakers. I can't wait to see what these babies can do.

The SVS I was looking at was the PB-2000, not the PB-1000.

The only place that I've seen that has these subwoofers made available to demo is Best Buy (at select stores) and they only have SVS in their Design Centers. The other brands only seem to deal with online sales, no demos (not in my area anyway). The nice thing about SVS is they allow for a 45-day audition while they others (HSU & Rythmik) don't seem to offer the same opportunity.

The thing about the subwoofers (and speakers) and audiophiles they can listen to different brands and tell you the difference immediately. For me being the average guy I might say ohhh this sounds great, but someone who has a keen ear can say yeah but listen to this one, and I still may not pick up on the differences.

I know I can't spend $2,000 for subwoofers so I have to go with middle of the road subs or speakers.

I think it would be easier if an audio place had access to all 3 brands and you could really sit down and listen for a hour or two.....

Last edited by nativecodder; Today at 07:09 AM.
post #35583 of 35596 Old Today, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecodder View Post
The SVS I was looking at was the PB-2000, not the PB-1000.

The only place that I've seen that has these subwoofers made available to demo is Best Buy (at select stores) and they only have SVS in their Design Centers. The other brands only seem to deal with online sales, no demos (not in my area anyway). The nice thing about SVS is they allow for a 45-day audition while they others (HSU & Rythmik) don't seem to offer the same opportunity.

The thing about the subwoofers (and speakers) and audiophiles they can listen to different brands and tell you the difference immediately. For me being the average guy I might say ohhh this sounds great, but someone who has a keen ear can say yeah but listen to this one, and I still may not pick up on the differences.

I know I can't spend $2,000 for subwoofers so I have to go with middle of the roads subs or speakers.

I think it would be easier if an audio place had access to all 3 brands and you could really sit down and listen for a hour or two.....
I call bull on some of this. How much more sound quality is a $13,000 Krell amp really giving you over an Outlaw amp or Emotiva amp? Is it really 12,000 dollars better in sound? I mean this stuff gets out of hand at some point. How much more is a 25,000 dollar processor giving you over an Outlaw or Emotiva processor? There is no way its 23,000 dollars better in sound quality! What in gods name is a HT processor anyway? All it does is process the sound, or decode various sound formats from your source, Blu-ray player, PS4, Cable box and send it off to the amp, then onto your speakers. Quite frankly its fraud to charge 20 grand for an HT processor. I'm glad there are companies like Outlaw, Emotiva, SVS, RSL, Rythmic, HSU turning the industry upside down. You have a great people, smart audio engineers like Andrew Jones from Elac making the big boys take notice. The only thing that the uber expensive brands have left is the image, and snobbish attitude of having something that costs 10s of thousands of dollars. Sorry, just my opinion.

post #35584 of 35596 Old Today, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I call bull on some of this. How much more sound quality is a $13,000 Krell amp really giving you over an Outlaw amp or Emotiva amp? Is it really 12,000 dollars better in sound? I mean this stuff gets out of hand at some point. How much more is a 25,000 dollar processor giving you over an Outlaw or Emotiva processor? There is no way its 23,000 dollars better in sound quality! What in gods name is a HT processor anyway? All it does is process the sound, or decode various sound formats from your source, Blu-ray player, PS4, Cable box and send it off to the amp, then onto your speakers. Quite frankly its fraud to charge 20 grand for an HT processor. I'm glad there are companies like Outlaw, Emotiva, SVS, RSL, Rythmic, HSU turning the industry upside down. You have a great people, smart audio engineers like Andrew Jones from Elac making the big boys take notice. The only thing that the uber expensive brands have left is the image, and snobbish attitude of having something that costs 10s of thousands of dollars. Sorry, just my opinion.
When I used the word "you" I'm referring to people in general not yourself directly. Not sure how the context came across.

I'm still a novice with this audio stuff. Look 2-3 pages back, you will see a very simple speaker setup in my living room.

I can't spend 10, 20 or 100 thousand dollars on audio equipment. If someone can do that, more power to them. I'm not that hardcore nor do I have the funds to support that type of setup. $1,600 was about the max I could spend for dual subs.

In my living room I'm sort of limited with the space.

As I mentioned earlier I've seen many positive threads about SVS, as well as seeing that HSU or Rythmik is a better choice over SVS on more than one occasion. End result is it seems you can't really make a bad choice with any of the 3 or 4 listed.
littlefoott likes this.

Last edited by nativecodder; Today at 08:13 AM.
post #35585 of 35596 Old Today, 08:04 AM

Quote:
When I used the word "you" I'm referring to a people in general not yourself directly. Not sure how the context came across.

I'm still a novice with this audio stuff. Look 2-3 pages back, you will see a very simply speaker setup in my living room.

I can't spend 10, 20 or 100 thousand dollars on audio equipment. If someone can do that, more power to them. I'm not that hardcore nor do I have the funds to support that type of setup. $1,600 was about the max I could spend for dual subs.

In my living room I'm sort of limited with the space.

As I mentioned earlier I've seen many positive threads about SVS, as well as seeing that HSU or Rythmik is a better choice over SVS on more than one occasion. End result is it seems you can't really make a bad choice with any of the 3 or 4 listed.
Yeah I didn't mean to come off abrasive, I apologize for that. I didn't mean to direct it to you. I wanted to have a discussion on price, cost vs sound quality. Yes a Krell amp will sound better, but how much better for 10,000 dollars better? That's a lot of money. I'm just trying to get to the heart of money spent to sound quality. It's a great time for quality audio with all the options. Us regular shmoes will be able to buy great sounding audio equipment, and leave the 13,000 a pair Salk speakers to those that have the money. God bless those that can, I'm just glad we have alternatives.

post #35586 of 35596 Old Today, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah I didn't mean to come off abrasive, I apologize for that. I didn't mean to direct it to you. I wanted to have a discussion on price, cost vs sound quality. Yes a Krell amp will sound better, but how much better for 10,000 dollars better? That's a lot of money. I'm just trying to get to the heart of money spent to sound quality. It's a great time for quality audio with all the options. Us regular shmoes will be able to buy great sounding audio equipment, and leave the 13,000 a pair Salk speakers to those that have the money. God bless those that can, I'm just glad we have alternatives.

I'm wondering how someone decides to get a brand like HSU or Rythmik if there are no retail resellers where a person can go in and demo them? I'd love to go into a audio place that has HSU, Rythmik or SVS and listen to them, but it's not possible. I know with smartphones many people will sell theirs to get a different model or newer one, are they doing the same thing with subs? Getting one brand, sell and then trying a different brand until they find just the "right one?"

All I know is I have 1 chance to spend a reasonable amount on dual subs and can't be switching every year. It's hard to determine which one sounds best to one's own ears when there isn't a place to demo the different brands.
post #35587 of 35596 Old Today, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering how someone decides to get a brand like HSU or Rythmik if there are no retail resellers where a person can go in and demo them? I'd love to go into a audio place that has HSU, Rythmik or SVS and listen to them, but it's not possible. I know with smartphones many people will sell theirs to get a different model or newer one, are they doing the same thing with subs? Getting one brand, sell and then try a different brand until they find just the "right one?"

All I know is I have 1 chance spend a reasonable amount on dual subs and can't be switching every year. It's hard to determine which one sounds best to one's own ears when there isn't a place to demo the different brands.
They all have trial periods don't they? SVS has a good one, and that's better than listening in a showroom. Your home is the showroom and will tell you more than any showroom would. You'll know exactly what the equipment will sound like in your actually house.

post #35588 of 35596 Old Today, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
test

test
post #35589 of 35596 Old Today, 08:42 AM

Quote:
They all have trial periods don't they? SVS has a good one, and that's better than listening in a showroom. Your home is the showroom and will tell you more than any showroom would. You'll know exactly what the equipment will sound like in your actually house.

SVS has 45-days. Just looked at HSU, they have a 30-day "tryout", but it seems worded kind of funny like they could switch their terms. Also has to be returned within their 30 days of ordering.

Perhaps reading it wrong, but SVS seems less restrictive regarding their returns or "audition" terms.
post #35590 of 35596 Old Today, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

they all have trial periods but not all pay for return shipping.

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #35591 of 35596 Old Today, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
SVS has 45-days. Just looked at HSU, they have a 30-day "tryout", but it seems worded kind of funny like they could switch their terms. Also has to be returned within their 30 days of ordering.

Perhaps reading it wrong, but SVS seems less restrictive regarding their returns or "audition" terms.
SVS' policy is pretty forgiving but that is built into their costs as well. Generally, a Hsu/Rythmik/PSA will beat SVS in a 'performance for your dollar' sense but there is real value for many is SVS' warranty and tryout/upgrade policies.

As someone else mentioned, most everyone has a tryout period but the difference is that shipping is out of your pocket instead of being built into the purchase price.

Last edited by KSpan; Today at 02:36 PM.
post #35592 of 35596 Unread Today, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Don't go svs. Svs is a company that is good for many but not for people building an ultimate home theater. Hsu isn't with but the newer 15" subs really improved. I'd rather have vtf15 over pb13ultra.

Psa, rythmik, jtr are all so much better than svs.

Pb2000 is a very basic subwoofer.
Sounds great. I just bought 2 Svs pb-2000. Cant wait to hear them
post #35593 of 35596 Unread Today, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I take it that you're being sarcastic.

It's ok pb2000 is a good sub for some. I hope you like it but in 12-18 months you'll have something else.

Svs is a middle of the line company. Not at all the end game I'd want to achieve.

If you never want or need more than 105db the pb2000 will be fine.
post #35594 of 35596 Unread Today, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:

It's ok pb2000 is a good sub for some. I hope you like it but in 12-18 months you'll have something else.

Svs is a middle of the line company. Not at all the end game I'd want to achieve.

Yes I was with no harm intended. I really did just ordered the Svs's and appreciate your feedback on my questions.
post #35595 of 35596 Unread Today, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It's ok. No offense taken. I hope you like em
post #35596 of 35596 Unread Today, 03:42 PM

Quote:

And this is what I was talking about early. Snobs who look down on what most consider a really great company that builds very affordable products. A company that gets great reviews day in and day out is called middle of the road because it's not JTR or some other exotic company that sells a sub for 8 grand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread