Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 455Likes

post #35941 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Never really understood bookshelf speakers unless you have built ins. Towers take up same space as sm55 on stands. Towers are just so much better.

Pair of used bp8 can be found for $200 and they would absolutely crush sm65.

Sm450 used in a bedroom or office or as height channels or as surrounds is great. As fronts hmmmmmm sounds like a budget restraint. Which I understand also. When your spending $1000-2000 on subs probably need to get better speakers first.

On a side note why are so many people buying these companies like elac, rbh , pioneer Andrew jones, htd???? Also the hsu speakers are popular why? I know people buy em then sell pretty fast. Friends have the full Andrew jones setup. Sounds horrible. I have vintage fisher and cerwin speakers that sound way better. Seems like it's a thing on avs to fit in to the cliques. Looks like elac, RBh are new ones. Svs, audyssey, and hating onkyo better watch out. New sheriff in town. Lol

I was just testing out the SM450s as front channels because I recently sold my 2006 towers and haven't found replacements for them yet.

I wanted some BP-10s but I have WAF on this 2.1 project...This is "her" area Im just putting sound into. Bookshelf speakers are required. She actually likes the power monitor line because "they come in white"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #35942 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Good point some rooms we can't take over. Lol
post #35943 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Never really understood bookshelf speakers unless you have built ins. Towers take up same space as sm55 on stands. Towers are just so much better.

Pair of used bp8 can be found for $200 and they would absolutely crush sm65.

Sm450 used in a bedroom or office or as height channels or as surrounds is great. As fronts hmmmmmm sounds like a budget restraint. Which I understand also. When your spending $1000-2000 on subs probably need to get better speakers first.

On a side note why are so many people buying these companies like elac, rbh , pioneer Andrew jones, htd???? Also the hsu speakers are popular why? I know people buy em then sell pretty fast. Friends have the full Andrew jones setup. Sounds horrible. I have vintage fisher and cerwin speakers that sound way better. Seems like it's a thing on avs to fit in to the cliques. Looks like elac, RBh are new ones. Svs, audyssey, and hating onkyo better watch out. New sheriff in town. Lol
I disagree with this post in just about every way. There are many, many reasons to get bookshelf speakers. A really good bookshelf speaker and a great sub is just as good and in some cases better than towers. I'm very happy I went from towers to a bookshelf speakers system. I even have a bookshelf as a center channel. The idea that towers are always better than bookshelf or studio monitors is a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

post #35944 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I disagree with this post in just about every way. There are many, many reasons to get bookshelf speakers. A really good bookshelf speaker and a great sub is just as good and in some cases better than towers. I'm very happy I went from towers to a bookshelf speakers system. I even have a bookshelf as a center channel. The idea that towers are always better than bookshelf or studio monitors is a bit ridiculous.

I dunno man...

For 2.1 Id take a pair of BP-10 over a pair of SM65 on a tower. I enjoy the bi-polar factor.

Or were you talking about a non bi-polar tower vs. a studio monitor?
post #35945 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
I dunno man...

For 2.1 Id take a pair of BP-10 over a pair of SM65 on a tower. I enjoy the bi-polar factor.

Or were you talking about a non bi-polar tower vs. a studio monitor?
Yeah ya know it's all preference I guess, no one is right. Bipolar is awesome but you need the right room and you will fiddle with speaker placement a lot. I don't have a wall behind my TV so the bipolar thing is not a good setup for me. I never felt like I ever got the right placement in years of owning bipolar towers as mains. I made a decision awhile a ago to stay with Def Tech but move away from bipolar speakers. My next move, years from now is to go with something like, if not exactly PSA speakers. I just spent a ton on this system so it'll be awhile.

post #35946 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

When you properly know what you are trying to achieve the results are up to you.

The 3 sm65 are fine for you but are not better than bp10b with a clr2000. 3 clr2000 would be much better.

Obviously a better bookshelf is going to perform better than a lower end tower. Example. Canton vento bookshelf is better than klipsch rf7ii. Unless you want it loud. Maybe bad example. Lol. Definitive sm65 is better than Polk monitor 70's. Energy rc line is very good and actually better than most realize. If you compare rc10 to rc70 it's a huge difference in mids, bass and treble.

speakers are a funny thing though. Everyone is different. I've heard about every definitive speaker ever built and with out a doubt the towers are better in every way. Probably need to try some. What towers did you have before? Before you switched to sm65
post #35947 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

No wall behind tv? Makes it really hard to setup anything correctly in a room like that.

Yeah bipolar won't work well or will just sound like the directional sm line.

Every time we move or have been lucky enough to build our home the theater and acoustics are very important to me. If I can't put my speakers in that house I won't buy it.

Big open concepts are a killer for great sound.

My builder thought I was crazy when I told him to put popcorn ceilings in theater room. Actually called acoustic ceiling. It really helps for much more focused sound. Older houses are actually better for sound with low ceilings, small rooms and popcorn ceilings. Just not as nice to live in.

Good luck to y'all. I'm turning off avs for awhile
post #35948 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I agree, one broken in holy cow are you in for a treat. I think the Studio monitor line is the best kept secret in home theater speakers. They are fantastic.
Also about the cleaning I'm glad the SM series moved away from the sock because I found that to be a pain to keep clean. I have a CLR 2000 that I want to sell but it's really dusty. Should I take the sock off and clean it that way? What's the best way to clean it?

The sock is a pain. Its just cut to fit around the panel with the banana plugs, so if you take it off an wash it (Even hand washing) the cut will start to unravel. Machine wash runs the risk of the sock washing out and fading. If you take it off to wash it, sew around the connector panel cut.

Another option (If you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine) get some back stretchy grille fabric, and just sew a new sock.

I'm facing that problem on a pair of SM350s right now. :-)
post #35949 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
The sock is a pain. Its just cut to fit around the panel with the banana plugs, so if you take it off an wash it (Even hand washing) the cut will start to unravel. Machine wash runs the risk of the sock washing out and fading. If you take it off to wash it, sew around the connector panel cut.

Another option (If you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine) get some back stretchy grille fabric, and just sew a new sock.

I'm facing that problem on a pair of SM350s right now. :-)
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a real pain in the butt. I did not anticipate it being that much of a pain. I don't know what to do now.

post #35950 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a real pain in the butt. I did not anticipate it being that much of a pain. I don't know what to do now.

My plan of action is; Carefully remove sock, vacuum, wipe and damp wipe the cabinet, replace sock.
My wife isn't quite on board with sewing me a new pair :-)
post #35951 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

I don't have the patience for that. I'll try and clean it as best I can with the sock on. Thanks for the suggestions though, appreciate it.

post #35952 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So I'm experimenting with the BP30s. Anyone place their towers used for surround n/s? My side seats are close and I don't want to overwhelm those seats. The bpx above are my current surrounds but they will not be staying obviously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1986_1495488191809.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2150522  

Last edited by keeper; Yesterday at 02:40 PM.
post #35953 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was going to try 2 clr2000s as surrounds and I think that would work nicely. The problem is with these clr is the size. You need end tables as stands. While I think 5-7 clr 2000/2002 would sound great your basically taking up as much space as a tower.
post #35954 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have the patience for that. I'll try and clean it as best I can with the sock on. Thanks for the suggestions though, appreciate it.

Call or email dt for a new sock. I got one last month. They only have a few left and might even be out but it's worth a try.
post #35955 of 35957 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Call or email dt for a new sock. I got one last month. They only have a few left and might even be out but it's worth a try.
Ok thanks. I'll try that.

post #35956 of 35957 Old Today, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 123
That's a main reason I stayed away from "sock" speakers! And sometimes you just wanna pop that cover off and watch those speakers play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
post #35957 of 35957 Old Today, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
That's a main reason I stayed away from "sock" speakers! And sometimes you just wanna pop that cover off and watch those speakers play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all true. Sometimes it's fun to check the speakers put without the grill. I have a son so it's rare though and when he's not home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page