Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1201 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 459Likes

post #36001 of 36015 Old Today, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Also tried this for fun. Shotgun double run kimber 8vs from adcom 7605 to 7001. So it's 6awg wire now. Lol.

Sounded great but was to much hassle to get adcom 7805 to do this. Also I was wasting about $400 of cables doing this.

Youre doing stuff I haven't even heard of. It sure is pretty though man. I can appreciate good craftsmanship when I see it.

Like I said, Im sure Ill end up down the cable rabbit hole once I get my front channel situation sorted out. Expect a message or 2 from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36002 of 36015 Old Today, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
I don't see how some of you can crank it up that loud. When I hit that 85-90db range I can't think it's so loud in here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
85-90db isn't loud at all. Try watching a 10 minute clip at 125-135db. That's a experience!

I think my phone speaker gets to 85db.

I think my conversations are at 85 db. Hmmmmm maybe 85 db isn't loud at al.

115 db is a reference achievement for any home theater. Thx certification use to mean that. It could drive a system at 115db.

Some people think 100 db is loud or fine. I'm not one of the them.
post #36003 of 36015 Old Today, 10:19 AM

Quote:
85-90db isn't loud at all. Try watching a 10 minute clip at 125-135db. That's a experience!

+1...I love that "blow your socks off" volume in a good theater.

I had a few friends that didn't understand why I was getting into home audio as a hobby. Then they came over for movie night. Even in my entry level set up it made them understand right away. Immersive sound makes every movie better.

post #36004 of 36015 Old Today, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post
You should be able to hear them loud and clear. What level did Audyssey set all your speakers at? Did you have the mic on a tripod in the recommended locations? What receiver/processor are you using?

Perhaps you have a bad Audyssey mic. Try turning off Audyssey and manually setting speaker levels by ear or with an SPL meter using manual test tones. Then put on some 7.1 material to check the results. If you are hearing them clearly then you know something went wrong with your Audyssey calibration.

These are the levels from the audyssey setup. Sub 1 and sub 2 are alot different. If it is, im thinking all other speakers are off too. Would like everyones feedback. Thx

post #36005 of 36015 Old Today, 10:42 AM

Can you tune it all by ear and see how it sounds..?

Is there lint or anything blocking the ports of the mic?

Just spit-balling some ideas here.
post #36006 of 36015 Old Today, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Need to turn subs down. Get closer to 0

Run audyssey like this. All spots within 5" from each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4933_1495648238165.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	2153218  
post #36007 of 36015 Old Today, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Need to turn subs down. Get closer to 0

Run audyssey like this. All spots within 5" from each other.

Ok I'll try that. Those squares in the picture are seat cushions right?

post #36008 of 36015 Old Today, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah. But all 8 positions should be in a small area. Start with mlp. Than start moving in 3-5" moves. The last 2 can be farther out maybe a foot out left and right. Honestly the last 2 don't have huge affect. Those first 6 a very important to get right. Some people have even used only 3-5 positions in mlp and have had great results.

Even audyssey admits that by using more positions has a minimal effect on sound.
post #36009 of 36015 Old Today, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah. But all 8 positions should be in a small area. Start with mlp. Than start moving in 3-5" moves. The last 2 can be farther out maybe a foot out left and right. Honestly the last 2 don't have huge affect. Those first 6 a very important to get right. Some people have even used only 3-5 positions in mlp and have had great results.

Even audyssey admits that by using more positions has a minimal effect on sound.

Will do. What's mlp stands for?

post #36010 of 36015 Old Today, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Will do. What's mlp stands for?

Main Listening Position.

Marantz SR7010 AVR (using as pre-amp), Logitech Harmony One Remote
B&K ST1400 Series II 2-ch amp powering fronts, AV6000 Series II 6-ch amp powering center, surrounds and tactile transducer
Def Tech BP2000 fronts, Def Tech CLR2000 center, Def Tech BPX side and rear surrounds
Oppo BDP-93, Apple TV 4th gen, PS4, Rotel RCL-900 Line Conditioner
Adding Atmos in ceiling speakers soon
post #36011 of 36015 Old Today, 02:51 PM

Quote:

One of the tips from audyssey is to turn the sub's frequency to highest level. Do you guys recommend this as well?

post #36012 of 36015 Old Today, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Yes. Turn it up all th way for audyssey.

After I always cut it at 50-60 hz.

I run my subs hot and don't like 60-100hz being played through my sub.
post #36013 of 36015 Old Today, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
One of the tips from audyssey is to turn the sub's frequency to highest level. Do you guys recommend this as well?

Generally speaking, the subwoofer crossover setting should be turned up to the highest frequency or set to bypass if that option is available on your sub. This lets the receiver/processor handle all crossover duties. If you were to turn your sub's crossover control down to 50 Hz after Audessey calibration as @Timothy1180 suggests, you would be attenuating all LFE information above that crossover point as well as all low frequency information from other channels set to small. For instance, let's say you (or Audessey) sets your front and surround speaker crossover points at 80 Hz. If you then lower the crossover setting on your sub you would be creating a frequency response hole bewteen 50 Hz and 80 Hz. That would defeat the whole purpose of Audessey calibration.

There is an entire thread dedicated to Audessey. Check out post # 51778 for a great FAQ.

Many people find that bass is a bit anemic after Audessey calibration and boost the sub level by +3 to +6 dB. That doesn't affect the equalization curves. It just boosts the sub output a bit.

There are others who aren't fans of Audessey at all and prefer to just do a manual calibration. I've been in this camp due to the noticeably attenuated bass. I didn't care for it at all. I run my BP2000s full range with no dedicated standalone sub. I suppose I could try Audessey again and boost the bass a bit by turning up the level controls on the BP2000 amps after calibration, but I find the bass response in my room to be pretty even and satisfying as is so I may not ever bother.

Note that there are different versions of Audessey. MultEQ XT32 is very different from earlier versions and focuses more on smoothing out bass frequencies where room interactions are most problematic and does fewer corrections at higher frequencies. That is what you have on your Denon.

Marantz SR7010 AVR (using as pre-amp), Logitech Harmony One Remote
B&K ST1400 Series II 2-ch amp powering fronts, AV6000 Series II 6-ch amp powering center, surrounds and tactile transducer
Def Tech BP2000 fronts, Def Tech CLR2000 center, Def Tech BPX side and rear surrounds
Oppo BDP-93, Apple TV 4th gen, PS4, Rotel RCL-900 Line Conditioner
Adding Atmos in ceiling speakers soon

Last edited by kdjohn3; Today at 04:17 PM.
post #36014 of 36015 Old Today, 04:20 PM

I appreciate all the info guys. My apologies if I'm in the wrong place for this type of discussion. I have no clue about av and this is all new to me. Just trying to make my Def Tec speakers sing in harmony

post #36015 of 36015 Old Today, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Last post was almost all true. Crossovers aren't a brick wall. Multiple orders of a crossover.

If you cut your sub to 50-60hz you'll still get 60-100hz. Just rolled off by slope points. If you set fronts to 80hz and sub to 60 it's actually a very smooth roll off.

If you set sub to 80hz you can't run sub as hot either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page