Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 459Likes

post #36061 of 36063 Old Today, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Tested it few hours ago just to make sure I wasn't wrong. Was watching tv. First take on espn.

All speakers set to 60 or 80hz. No y split to subs just lfe. Crossover over on integra set to 120. Subs were making noise as they talk. Remember I'm 15 db hot.

Than I went to bedroom setup with clr2000, bp2002tl and Yamaha 3060. All 3 speakers set to 80hz. Bass set to 80hz. I just maxed out towers gain. Which I use lfe cable to each tower. Again bass from lfe in dialogue.

Not really sure what you are doing differently than me.

Also 9060 are probably ok speakers. You could get a pair of definitive bp7001 or bp7000 that would kill hsu vtf2 and bp7000 would be comparable to vtf3. Can get those for $1500-2000. Also my bp2002tl have more output and better sounding bass than my svs pb2000.

As far as the lfe in dialogue thing I guess will have to just agree to move on. Not going to agree. We each know what we have heard. I just think you are misunderstanding the part how I run my subs hot.
Not trying to be argumentative. Just a friendly discussion. I'm not misunderstanding what you are saying at all. I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. As I said, if your speakers aren't set to full range then you are going to get voice information out of your subs. You clearly state you are crossing over you speakers at 60 or 80 Hz. That is where the voice information in your subs is coming from. It is not from the actual .1 channel as mixed by the engineer. That is the difference between our setups. I have all speakers set to full range on my Oppo to get the pure LFE signal fed to my transducer from the blu-ray player's sub pre-out. I do have my center crossed at 60 Hz and my surrounds crossed at 80 Hz on my Marantz receiver so voice information below those crossover points goes to my mains since I don't have a standalone sub. If I did have a standalone sub or if I used the AVR's sub output to feed my transducer or the LFE inputs on my BP2000s then there would be voice information in the sub channel. That does not mean it is present in the engineer's mix of the .1 channel. It means your AVR is routing it there from the other channels.

Marantz SR7010 AVR (using as pre-amp), Logitech Harmony One Remote
B&K ST1400 Series II 2-ch amp powering fronts, AV6000 Series II 6-ch amp powering center, surrounds and tactile transducer
Def Tech BP2000 fronts, Def Tech CLR2000 center, Def Tech BPX side and back surrounds
Oppo BDP-93, Apple TV 4th gen, PS4, Rotel RCL-900 Line Conditioner
Adding Atmos in ceiling speakers soon

Last edited by kdjohn3; Today at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36062 of 36063 Old Today, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Tested it few hours ago just to make sure I wasn't wrong. Was watching tv. First take on espn.

All speakers set to 60 or 80hz. No y split to subs just lfe. Crossover over on integra set to 120. Subs were making noise as they talk. Remember I'm 15 db hot.

Than I went to bedroom setup with clr2000, bp2002tl and Yamaha 3060. All 3 speakers set to 80hz. Bass set to 80hz. I just maxed out towers gain. Which I use lfe cable to each tower. Again bass from lfe in dialogue.

Not really sure what you are doing differently than me.

Also 9060 are probably ok speakers. You could get a pair of definitive bp7001 or bp7000 that would kill hsu vtf2 and bp7000 would be comparable to vtf3. Can get those for $1500-2000. Also my bp2002tl have more output and better sounding bass than my svs pb2000.

As far as the lfe in dialogue thing I guess will have to just agree to move on. Not going to agree. We each know what we have heard. I just think you are misunderstanding the part how I run my subs hot.
As an FYI, you can only really test this with a disc and no Upmixing, otherwise the signal may have already been re-mixed in some way.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #36063 of 36063 Old Today, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 112
So if I set all my speakers to large I'll only get effects bass from lfe channel?

Now I'd have to be really clever to eq the 7001 out of all the low bass. Sounds like I'm introducing some issues running them large. I'll try the test the way your stating.

I did read a article of the director of interstellar. He said he mixes lfe into dialogue to make a bigger impact in audio. So probably depends on the movie

I'll try what your talking about though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page