Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 727Likes

post #36541 of 37351 Old 08-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Depends on your space....
For an enclosed space, where the surrounds would be within a few feet of the rear wall, I'd look at the Di-6.5 (now called DT-6.5)
But in a large space or great room, I'd consider the UIW RCS II.
Thanks for the input. They will be more in the middle of a large space. The UIW RCS II look awesome, but don't they have something that won't cost me four times more than my mains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36542 of 37351 Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post
Thanks for the input. They will be more in the middle of a large space. The UIW RCS II look awesome, but don't they have something that won't cost me four times more than my mains?
I totally understand, the 6.5's will still work fine, but make sure you check to see if bajawaverunner might have some of either on e-bay, they'll be more cost friendly.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #36543 of 37351 Old 08-10-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I totally understand, the 6.5's will still work fine, but make sure you check to see if bajawaverunner might have some of either on e-bay, they'll be more cost friendly.
Yes I bought my SM55's from Baja - good source for refurbs. Any thoughts on the DT 6.5STR?

post #36544 of 37351 Old 08-10-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I bought my SM55's from Baja - good source for refurbs. Any thoughts on the DT 6.5STR?
I'm so used to recommending in-ceilings for Atmos applications, I forgot about these. While I've never heard them specifically, for a normal surround application they also should work well.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #36545 of 37351 Old 08-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I'm so used to recommending in-ceilings for Atmos applications, I forgot about these. While I've never heard them specifically, for a normal surround application they also should work well.

Ive wanted them as an in-ceiling application since the moment I saw them. Cannot wait to start cutting some holes in my house!
post #36546 of 37351 Old 08-11-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
Ive wanted them as an in-ceiling application since the moment I saw them. Cannot wait to start cutting some holes in my house!
The Def Tech site is a little vague, but it looks like the STR can be used as a single "stereo" speaker or switched for normal use as a surround...is that correct?
post #36547 of 37351 Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Def Tech site is a little vague, but it looks like the STR can be used as a single "stereo" speaker or switched for normal use as a surround...is that correct?
Yes, basically you have the option of using both tweeters or just one.

My Build Thread:
post #36548 of 37351 Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Yes, basically you have the option of using both tweeters or just one.
Ok, that makes sense. Looking at the Di 6.5R now. Looks like a more upgraded version of the DT 6.5R?
post #36549 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Please someone (or many) help me with this.

My Pro Sub 1000 from just over two years ago apparently has a dead amp. There was a red light on the back of the unit sometimes stationary, sometimes blinking. I was told it was the amp from DefTech. They sent me a replacement amp from the revised model but the instructions were not very in-depth and it's impossible for me to disconnect the wires connected from the interior of the dead subwoofer. They are glued in place, and the smaller connection is so tight in a narrow space it is impossible to access. I can't even tell if that piece is also glued in, because if it is then there is absolutely no way to get at it. I don't know if they wanted me to connect the new assembly into the old subwoofer or pull the amp off of the new one and install it in the old. There was no diagram, just some instructions as if I'm supposed to know what is what and vaguely at that.

I have a Pro Center 2000 and 4 Pro Monitor 1000's. I am not happy but I will most likely have to buy a new subwoofer, and I need a brand as good if not better unless there is another subwoofer that is better from Definitive Technology. I just need to know what the best option is that isn't going to be outrageous in price. I'm just really frustrated that this subwoofer only lasted two years and a few months.
post #36550 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post
Please someone (or many) help me with this. I am not happy but I will most likely have to buy a new subwoofer, and I need a brand as good if not better unless there is another subwoofer that is better from Definitive Technology. I just need to know what the best option is that isn't going to be outrageous in price. I'm just really frustrated that this subwoofer only lasted two years and a few months.

I definitely wouldn't buy a DT sub. What's your budget? For what a ProSub 1000 cost there are several options that are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Denon X4300H * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds x 4 * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs x 2 * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
post #36551 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
I definitely wouldn't buy a DT sub. What's your budget? For what a ProSub 1000 cost there are several options that are better.

Agree 100%. As much as I love Def Tech, no go on subs from them. Better, cheaper options.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #36552 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm currently looking to upgrade my center channel, and possibly my surrounds as well. I'm currently using the KEF KHT Line as my surrounds, center channel, and subwoofer.. paired with my Def Tech ST's as my mains.

I just dont think they pair well, and personally i'm less than impressed with the sound quality of the KEF compared to the DT mains.. I dont need top of the line current flagship, but i do need something that's going to sound good.

Do BP's pair well as surrounds for mythos in a single system? i was thinking about purchasing a pair of 8060's as my surrounds & a mythos ten or nine for my center channel.. of course i'm 100% open to suggestions, if you guys would be so kind. thank you.
post #36553 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post
I'm currently looking to upgrade my center channel, and possibly my surrounds as well. I'm currently using the KEF KHT Line as my surrounds, center channel, and subwoofer.. paired with my Def Tech ST's as my mains.

I just dont think they pair well, and personally i'm less than impressed with the sound quality of the KEF compared to the DT mains.. I dont need top of the line current flagship, but i do need something that's going to sound good.

Do BP's pair well as surrounds for mythos in a single system? i was thinking about purchasing a pair of 8060's as my surrounds & a mythos ten or nine for my center channel.. of course i'm 100% open to suggestions, if you guys would be so kind. thank you.

I have a Mythos 9 that I just replaced with an older CLR 2002 center. The Mythos 9 is a great sounding center for its size and would pair very well with your mains. I replaced it because I prefer the richer sound quality from the much bigger CLR 2002, but it's also hidden in a cabinet now. I originally got the 9 because it was wall mounted several years ago.

--
Living Room Home Theater Pic
Denon AVR-X4300H, Speakers: R/L: Def Tech BP6P, C: Def Tech CLR 2002, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's
Sub: SVS PC-2000, TV: Vizio P65, Media Console: BDI Corridor 8173
Misc: TiVo, Apple TV 4K, PS4, Mac mini w/ Plex, Harmony One Remote
post #36554 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post

I don't know what would match your ST's but I would definitely go with a Def Tech center. With speakers, especially up front all there should be the same speaker brand and the same size drivers.

post #36555 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Agree 100%. As much as I love Def Tech, no go on subs from them. Better, cheaper options.

Yeah, I wish I had known this during my initial purchase because I was never impressed with the subwoofer at all and now it was a complete waste of money which really pisses me off. I really don't want to spend more than I have to, but if there are options you recommend that immediately surpass it at the same cost or less (or slightly more) I would appreciate it. I don't want to spend $500 if possible but if there is a must have around that price I may have to.
post #36556 of 37351 Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Yeah, I wish I had known this during my initial purchase because I was never impressed with the subwoofer at all and now it was a complete waste of money which really pisses me off. I really don't want to spend more than I have to, but if there are options you recommend that immediately surpass it at the same cost or less (or slightly more) I would appreciate it. I don't want to spend $500 if possible but if there is a must have around that price I may have to.
in the subwoofer forum you will get some ideas mainly from rsl ,svs,hsu and then about 20 people saying you need a bigger budget

just mention room size and usage ratio music / movies
good luck and yes much better boom for buck then dt subs

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #36557 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
in the subwoofer forum you will get some ideas mainly from rsl ,svs,hsu and then about 20 people saying you need a bigger budget

just mention room size and usage ratio music / movies
good luck and yes much better boom for buck then dt subs
I use this in my bedroom for video games and movies. I live in a Cape Cod so the room has a dormer where the window is and the ceilings are higher than a normal Cape Cod without the severe angle slope. The slope angle occurs about 3/4 up the wall to the ceiling. It's more open, not cramped. I don't know the size of the room exactly, something like 19 x 17. The room is not a perfect square.

I want clear bass with no noise or distortion. It doesn't have to blow out the neighbors windows but a quality sub that makes movies and games what they should be with surround.

Last edited by Silver Phoenix; 08-16-2017 at 03:18 AM.
post #36558 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Then I'd go with the SVS PB-1000 for $499. Or buy one in their Outlet for $450-$475. You still get the full warranty and it's free shipping. If you don't like it, within 45 days you came send it back for a full refund. Also, for $399 the RSL Speedwoofer 10s is much better than a ProSub 1000. I tried them both but went bigger and spent more money so don't do what I did.

littlefoott and Hetfieldjames like this.

Denon X4300H * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds x 4 * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs x 2 * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
post #36559 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then I'd go with the SVS PB-1000 for $499. Or buy one in their Outlet for $450-$475. You still get the full warranty and it's free shipping. If you don't like it, within 45 days you came send it back for a full refund. Also, for $399 the RSL Speedwoofer 10s is much better than a ProSub 1000. I tried them both but went bigger and spent more money so don't do what I did.

https://youtu.be/NQTAeuzFFLQ

https://youtu.be/-2neErBxeZk

I agree with this post. Couldn't have said it better.

littlefoott likes this.
post #36560 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For anyone interested, I just got some new Sewell Silverback banana plugs and really like them. A little tedious with two small screws but they secure the wire very well. Better than my last brand. I'm fortunate enough to have room behind the AVR to use them there also. They're actually smaller than the pics online you find.

post #36561 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
For anyone interested, I just got some new Sewell Silverback banana plugs and really like them. A little tedious with two small screws but they secure the wire very well. Better than my last brand. I'm fortunate enough to have room behind the AVR to use them there also. They're actually smaller than the pics online you find.
I was given some Sewell banana plugs in a recent CL deal, and I really like them too. Mine are the deadbolt flavor though (not sure what the difference is).

First time I ever used banana plugs, but it made setup so much easier for me. But I just got enough for the AVR, didn't have enough for the speakers too. Still... saved me a lot of aggravation trying to wire my speakers up.
Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #36562 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've used banana plugs almost since I started in this hobby 20 years ago. Just so much easier and a better connection.
On another easier note. I bought cheaper stereo RCA cables to connect my 5 channel amp to my receiver and they started failing pretty quickly. Got some single or mono RCA cables from mediabridge and I recommend them big. Very nice quality and a great snug fit to the components. The mono RCA cables look better, and are easier to work with.

post #36563 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I really like these new braided hdmi cables also!

post #36564 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really like these new braided hdmi cables also!

Wow those look awesome. Brand name? They look expensive, are they?

post #36565 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Rythmik as the best sub out there for $500. The LV12R. IMO.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #36566 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Wow those look awesome. Brand name? They look expensive, are they?

Not at all! I got four of them 6' long.. can't talk about price but check them out.. made by SecurOMax.

post #36567 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not at all! I got four of them 6' long.. can't talk about price but check them out.. made by SecurOMax.

Oh wow great deal. They look like incredible HDMI cables. When I need more HDMI cables I will try them out.

post #36568 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
I use this in my bedroom for video games and movies. I live in a Cape Cod so the room has a dormer where the window is and the ceilings are higher than a normal Cape Cod without the severe angle slope. The slope angle occurs about 3/4 up the wall to the ceiling. It's more open, not cramped. I don't know the size of the room exactly, something like 19 x 17. The room is not a perfect square.

I want clear bass with no noise or distortion. It doesn't have to blow out the neighbors windows but a quality sub that makes movies and games what they should be with surround.
that is a good size room

if you up the budget 50 percent the svs outlet has 12" pb2000 in the 750 range nice upgrade from the pb-1000 (10")

hsu 12" vtf mk5 for the 600 dollar range shipped - no paid returns also an upgrade from the pb-1000
but for 500 dollars the pb1000 will beat most or all retail store deals - boom for buck

works well with my def techs
Falconsfan71 likes this.

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #36569 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:

https://youtu.be/NQTAeuzFFLQ

https://youtu.be/-2neErBxeZk

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
that is a good size room

if you up the budget 50 percent the svs outlet has 12" pb2000 in the 750 range nice upgrade from the pb-1000 (10")

hsu 12" vtf mk5 for the 600 dollar range shipped - no paid returns also an upgrade from the pb-1000
but for 500 dollars the pb1000 will beat most or all retail store deals - boom for buck

works well with my def techs
The Pro Sub 1000 is long length-wise so which one of these subs is remarkably better but also not as large if possible? A more compact and powerful sub is just more space accommodating but I can deal with the same size as the Pro Sub 1000 if they're similar.

Also, the PB and PC 1000/2000 is the cylinder of the PC2000 less remarkable since it's a cylinder unit? Cost is likely too much for me.
post #36570 of 37351 Old 08-16-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Pro Sub 1000 is long length-wise so which one of these subs is remarkably better but also not as large if possible? A more compact and powerful sub is just more space accommodating but I can deal with the same size as the Pro Sub 1000 if they're similar.

Also, the PB and PC 1000/2000 is the cylinder of the PC2000 less remarkable since it's a cylinder unit? Cost is likely too much for me.

ProSub 1000:
12-1/16"W x 14-3/8"H x 19-1/8"D

RSL Speedwoofer 10s:
15" W x 16" H x 16 3/4" D

PB-1000:
15" W x 18.9" H x 19.4" D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page