Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 558Likes

post #36571 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 221
The Def Techs playing on Multi-Channel Stereo (all 7 speakers and both subs) on Pandora with the new Denon X4300H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver Phoenix and pmat123 like this.

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36572 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
ProSub 1000:
12-1/16"W x 14-3/8"H x 19-1/8"D

RSL Speedwoofer 10s:
15" W x 16" H x 16 3/4" D

PB-1000:
15" W x 18.9" H x 19.4" D

These both are actually bigger in size?
post #36573 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Phoenix View Post

So you want small and inexpensive?

post #36574 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
So you want small and inexpensive?
Better than the Pro Sub 1000 which a few subs were mentioned. Options become problematic without first hand experience and seeing actual dimensions. I was trying to stay lower in price, and I know quality/price is subjective so whatever purchase I make I want to be confident in the best decision. I've had a lot of bills lately which makes this sub issue even more of a burn.
post #36575 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Better than the Pro Sub 1000 which a few subs were mentioned. Options become problematic without first hand experience and seeing actual dimensions. I was trying to stay lower in price, and I know quality/price is subjective so whatever purchase I make I want to be confident in the best decision. I've had a lot of bills lately which makes this sub issue even more of a burn.

Sure they are "frowned upon" - But if you just want some bass from a compact sub at a reasonable price why not just pick up a second hand Supercube for a couple hundred bucks? They may not "dig deep" like some of the other brands, but they aren't terrible for the price you pay.

I have supercube subs in my towers and when I turn off my stand alone 12" sub they still rock the damn house.
post #36576 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Always makes me laugh when size is the issue. Especially when it's so close. The average mans hand from below palm to middle finger is 7.5". Now look at your hand........ is that really that big???? Just get the best sub you can afford. Something like the hsu vtf3 should be small enough. If you don't want to move furniture 2-3" left and right just keep what you have or ask yourself why you have so much stuff in a room that you can't accommodate another few inches.

Or just get some real supertowers that'll have even more bass then a svs pb12plus!
post #36577 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The SB-1000 which is a 12" sealed sub is: 13.5" (H) x 13" (W) x 14.6"(D) (with grille)

Silver Phoenix likes this.

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
post #36578 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Definitive Owners Thread

Quote:
Also, the PB and PC 1000/2000 is the cylinder of the PC2000 less remarkable since it's a cylinder unit? Cost is likely too much for me.

The PC2000 is not less remarkable because of its shape. It's different because it's down firing (which is great for my concrete floors), but the shape is no compromise. In addition to its performance, I really like the shape and how it looks. It visually matches my Def Techs perfectly. Some people also find it passes the WAF easier than other large subs.

--
Living Room Home Theater Pic
Denon AVR-2313CI, Speakers: R/L: Def Tech BP6P, C: Def Tech CLR 2002, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's
Sub: SVS PC-2000, TV: Vizio P65, Media Console: BDI Corridor 8173
Misc: TiVo, Apple TV, PS4, Mac mini w/ Plex, Harmony One Remote
post #36579 of 36589 Old 08-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
The SB-1000 which is a 12" sealed sub is: 13.5" (H) x 13" (W) x 14.6"(D) (with grille)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
The PC2000 is not less remarkable because of its shape. It's different because it's down firing (which is great for my concrete floors), but the shape is no compromise. In addition to its performance, I really like the shape and how it looks. It visually matches my Def Techs perfectly. Some people also find it passes the WAF easier than other large subs.
I am trying to maximize space. Right now the dead sub is by an exterior door (LFE cable at 9 ft doesn't reach corner) but it should probably be seated in the corner of the room. I have hardwood floors but they're covered in medium fill carpet so it's not optimal for subwoofer sound. Years ago I had a Sony home theater in a box and had the subwoofer sitting on a rectangular table with a glass protected top (it's wood underneath).

I don't know if this info changes up what would be the best option. I had to put the Pro Sub 1000 on the floor because things were moved around and the length sticks out further than my previous sub.

Last edited by Silver Phoenix; Yesterday at 12:40 AM.
post #36580 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubeman1 View Post
I just recently lost the sub woofer on one on my main towers, nothing really unusual happened, just stopped outputting bass. Check the fuse all good, auto on light works as does the LFE signal in is lite just no bass. Switched towers around and the problem follows the same tower. Did I lose the Amp? I pulled the control panel off the back to check wiring and to see if anything was burnt on the boards, all looks visually good.

Mids and highs work fine BTW

Thoughts?

I did contact Definitive, emailed with a "DJ" got a repair order setup pulled the Amp and control board out to ship. Did find a burnt trace on the lower amp board under-side that runs the power on negative side.

Shipped it off and now just waiting to hear back.

Def Tech BP3000's/CLR2500/BP2004's Powered by Marantz SR7009

Chris
post #36581 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
The Def Techs playing on Multi-Channel Stereo (all 7 speakers and both subs) on Pandora with the new Denon X4300H.
(PS: Sorry for deviating from Def Tech speakers topic )

Looks great. I got my x4300h during the weekend from IQ as well and am in the process of setting it up. Finding the Dolby surround/neural:X upmixer more intelligent/superior than my previous AVR's pliiz upmixer.

I see that you are using Audyssey Reference curve for music. I experimented with Flat and liked it more for stereo music. However, for movies - Reference sounds better.

Def Tech BP8 Front L/R with Def Tech SM350 Front heights [Dolby Pliiz]
Def Tech CLR2002 Center / Def Tech Pro1000 Surrounds L/R
Hsu VTF3 MK5 Sub

post #36582 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat123 View Post
(PS: Sorry for deviating from Def Tech speakers topic )

Looks great. I got my x4300h during the weekend from IQ as well and am in the process of setting it up. Finding the Dolby surround/neural:X upmixer more intelligent/superior than my previous AVR's pliiz upmixer.

I see that you are using Audyssey Reference curve for music. I experimented with Flat and liked it more for stereo music. However, for movies - Reference sounds better.

Yes I'm still experimenting. After many hours spent tweaking you just want to leave it alone and just watch or just listen for awhile.

post #36583 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I am trying to maximize space. Right now the dead sub is by an exterior door (LFE cable at 9 ft doesn't reach corner) but it should probably be seated in the corner of the room. I have hardwood floors but they're covered in medium fill carpet so it's not optimal for subwoofer sound. Years ago I had a Sony home theater in a box and had the subwoofer sitting on a rectangular table with a glass protected top (it's wood underneath).

I don't know if this info changes up what would be the best option. I had to put the Pro Sub 1000 on the floor because things were moved around and the length sticks out further than my previous sub.

If running a long sub cable is inconvenient, there are very reasonably priced quality wireless options. It would dig into your budget a little though.

--
Living Room Home Theater Pic
Denon AVR-2313CI, Speakers: R/L: Def Tech BP6P, C: Def Tech CLR 2002, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's
Sub: SVS PC-2000, TV: Vizio P65, Media Console: BDI Corridor 8173
Misc: TiVo, Apple TV, PS4, Mac mini w/ Plex, Harmony One Remote
post #36584 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I was very close to buying two more SM 65s to replace the SM 55 surrounds but regained my senses. Then I was going up but a couple SM 45s just cause the price is insane. 106 bucks I saw scratch and dent at one place.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #36585 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
If running a long sub cable is inconvenient, there are very reasonably priced quality wireless options. It would dig into your budget a little though.
Having the subwoofer in the correct place in the room is more important, so where should I have it exactly? I can always get a longer cord. I'm just looking for the best option upgrade from the Pro Sub 1000 without spending a lot. This is a bedroom upstairs so I don't need the most powerful sub, just one that is very good quality and sound overall. Granted, a subwoofer that is equally good in a home theater, a living room or a bedroom so it is capable in all areas.
post #36586 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Having the subwoofer in the correct place in the room is more important, so where should I have it exactly? I can always get a longer cord. I'm just looking for the best option upgrade from the Pro Sub 1000 without spending a lot. This is a bedroom upstairs so I don't need the most powerful sub, just one that is very good quality and sound overall. Granted, a subwoofer that is equally good in a home theater, a living room or a bedroom so it is capable in all areas.

So figure out your exact budget.

Or just wait until you have more $ free so you can buy what you want.
post #36587 of 36589 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
I've bought a few SCII's used for less than $300, while not as good as a SB/PB1000, will worth $250-300, esp for a bedroom or secondary system.
I've got 2 in my master (12 x 18) flanking the night stands, there not really that bad, plus with them close, there a small amount of impact as well.
(I wouldn't bother with a used SCIII, you'd probably have to give $200 for one, and honestly I've only looked them for adding bass to "full range" a speaker for a 2.2 music setup)

Just a thought.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 12:16 AM.
post #36588 of 36589 Old Today, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I was very close to buying two more SM 65s to replace the SM 55 surrounds but regained my senses. Then I was going up but a couple SM 45s just cause the price is insane. 106 bucks I saw scratch and dent at one place.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Do eeeeeet! Running SM65's I'm bucking the convention of setting Surrounds at 80hz, instead running them at 40hz (the lowest my Marantz receiver will allow, and where Audyssey sets the calibration out-of-the-box). I've experimented with raising the crossovers to 80hz, but at least for me, the surround effect is more immersive with the lower crossover setting...mainly in thunderstorm scenes and such. It's damn impressive at 40hz.

*edit* No measurements to back up my personal impression...all just seat-of-the-earball.

Mitsubishi 73" 1080P, Samsung K8500, Fire TV, Marantz 6011, Rotel 1075 (Atmos)
DefTech SM 65 (X7), SVS PC12-Plus (X2), SVS Prime Elevation (X4)
Headphone rig: PC-> Schiit Wyrd ->Schiit Modi Multibit ->Stax SRM-1 Mk2 Pro -> Stax SRM-252S -> Schiit Jotunheim
Headphones: Stax SR-207, Stax SR-L700, Monoprice M1060, Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, Sennheiser HD600, Sennheiser HD6XX, etc...

Last edited by Keith Zuehlke; Today at 02:13 AM. Reason: small comment addition
post #36589 of 36589 Old Today, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Having the subwoofer in the correct place in the room is more important, so where should I have it exactly? I can always get a longer cord.
look up the term "subwoofer crawl" for proper subwoofer placement
and if you need a low cost new cable search monoprice.com for subwoofer/Digital cable

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page