Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 567Likes

post #36601 of 36626 Old 08-18-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 76
So I have a chance to purchase a pair of bp3000tl at a very good price. What is the consensus on these particular speakers? I have 4x bp30 now but always wanted to try the powered version. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36602 of 36626 Old 08-18-2017, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
BP9020 subs slow to turn on

I have been battling the subs in my BP9020s since I got them.

I am driving the 9020s with a Denon AVR-S920W receiver. When I connected the 9020s only using the speaker outputs, the subs would not turn on until the volume was fairly load.

So I switched to dedicated sub cables from the Denon to the 9020s. I've had to crank the sub output on the receiver to get the 9020 subs to wake-up and am fighting too much bass when they wake up.

With the Denon at level 10 for the sub output, I have the 9020s set to about a quarter of the way up on their sub levels. Even with that, they stil; are not kicking in on lower volumes.

Never seen this before with DefTech or other pure subs I've used in the past. Since both speakers are acting up I'm stumped what the issue is. Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks
post #36603 of 36626 Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
If you end up liking the RAAL's but miss the signature Definitive sound, make sure you find somewhere to hear the GoldenEar's.
Do you think the GoldenEars are similar enough...i.e., bear enough "family resemblance"....that they'd blend well into a DefTech setup? I'm exploring options for four heights and I plan to go audition GEs this weekend. Problem is, of course, that the dealer's setup is GE all around.

post #36604 of 36626 Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiprecked View Post
Never seen this before with DefTech or other pure subs I've used in the past. Since both speakers are acting up I'm stumped what the issue is. Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks
I've been using various powered DTs for ages, and I've never seen that either. If only one does it, I'd assume it's defective. If they both do, it seems like something other 9020 owners would've mentioned.

Any chance you could try them with a different receiver? Just as a troubleshooting measure to eliminate the Denon's output as a cause.

Last edited by progprog; 08-18-2017 at 09:12 PM.
post #36605 of 36626 Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
So I have a chance to purchase a pair of bp3000tl at a very good price. What is the consensus on these particular speakers? I have 4x bp30 now but always wanted to try the powered version. Thanks
Have they ever been repaired? Do you know the history on them?

Never heard anyone complain about a pair of 3000s aside from the fact they are pretty big towers.
keeper likes this.
post #36606 of 36626 Old 08-18-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post
I've been using various powered DTs for ages, and I've never seen that either. If only one does it, I'd assume it's defective. If they both do, it seems like something other 9020 owners would've mentioned.

Any chance you could try them with a different receiver? Just as a troubleshooting measure to eliminate the Denon's output as a cause.
I've been considering that - wondering if the Denon isn't pushing out the proper low end. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that since I'll need to purchase another receiver.
post #36607 of 36626 Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla13 View Post
So figure out your exact budget.

Or just wait until you have more $ free so you can buy what you want.
Quote:
I've bought a few SCII's used for less than $300, while not as good as a SB/PB1000, will worth $250-300, esp for a bedroom or secondary system.
I've got 2 in my master (12 x 18) flanking the night stands, there not really that bad, plus with them close, there a small amount of impact as well.
(I wouldn't bother with a used SCIII, you'd probably have to give $200 for one, and honestly I've only looked them for adding bass to "full range" a speaker for a 2.2 music setup)

Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
look up the term "subwoofer crawl" for proper subwoofer placement
and if you need a low cost new cable search monoprice.com for subwoofer/Digital cable
I appreciate everyone that replied and offered info and suggestions. I have a couple subs on my Wishlist and will make a purchase when I have more money at my disposal. I don't want to buy something just to have it and then regret it if I'm not satisfied. It's easier to make choices when you have money to burn, not so much when you don't.
post #36608 of 36626 Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Do you think the GoldenEars are similar enough...i.e., bear enough "family resemblance"....that they'd blend well into a DefTech setup? I'm exploring options for four heights and I plan to go audition GEs this weekend. Problem is, of course, that the dealer's setup is GE all around.
It's going to depend, while most of the DefTech's are very similar, my preference is to the older models, and I thought that the GoldenEar's I've heard were more similar to them than different. (which I guess makes sense, since the older models were from when Sandy was still with the company) But I believe much of the slight difference was the ribbon tweeter, so it's really going to depend on how much of a difference you can hear, esp if you're mixing the two brands together. But... of all the positions, just mixing in for heights, should probably be the least noticeable.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #36609 of 36626 Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's going to depend, while most of the DefTech's are very similar, my preference is to the older models, and I thought that the GoldenEar's I've heard were more similar to them than different. (which I guess makes sense, since the older models were from when Sandy was still with the company) But I believe much of the slight difference was the ribbon tweeter, so it's really going to depend on how much of a difference you can hear, esp if you're mixing the two brands together. But... of all the positions, just mixing in for heights, should probably be the least noticeable.
Thanks for that feedback. I also prefer the older DefTechs and that's what I'm using at all the other positions. (In fact, it's my skepticism about their newer models that has me looking into alternatives elsewhere.) So if the GE sound is more similar to that, it might work out well....
post #36610 of 36626 Old Yesterday, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anyone want a pair of SR9040 open box for cheap?
post #36611 of 36626 Old Today, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

I have 9020's and have never experienced this or any other problems for that matter.

I have pushed them with both my Pioneer SC-95 and now with an Emotiva so I agree that it may be the Denon that's causing the issue.
post #36612 of 36626 Old Today, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I've been using Pro Monitor 800's for side surrounds and Pro Monitor 1000's for rears in a 7.2.4 setup. I bought a pair of BPX's the other day that will be delivered on Tuesday.

In anticipation I moved the 1000's to the sides thinking I would put the BPX's in the rear positions.

The rear speakers are on stands and the sides are attached to the wall via mounts. I just recently moved and the room I'm working with is considerably smaller than my last so my couch basically goes from one side wall to the other. My only concern with my current plan is localization from the 1000's on the sides and am wondering if the BPX's would be better off there.

Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks!
post #36613 of 36626 Old Today, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
If they are in good shape, you've got the cash and the room for them, then I'd grab them!
They are definitely a nice set of speakers.
post #36614 of 36626 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The bp3000tl are fantastic speakers!!!! They are so much better then bp8080 or bp9080. My bp3000 are better then my 7001 and equal to my 7000. They are the biggest speaker definitive has ever made but well worth it. The 18" subs have great output. I'd run very fast if the price is below $1500.
post #36615 of 36626 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
The bp3000tl are fantastic speakers!!!! They are so much better then bp8080 or bp9080. My bp3000 are better then my 7001 and equal to my 7000. They are the biggest speaker definitive has ever made but well worth it. The 18" subs have great output. I'd run very fast if the price is below $1500.
Well thanks guys. I grabbed them yesterday along with a clr3000 and he through in a pair of bp2x. All speakers function as they should and are in great shape. He was the original owner and his wife finally made him go to wireless Bose. She was all smiles while I was loading them up and he had an emotional attachment to them. I got them home and hooked them up in the garage. Completely floored. Amazing best I have ever heard. Better than my Bp30s. The best part of it I paid 1/3 of what Timothy quoted above for everything.
ALtlOff likes this.

Last edited by keeper; Today at 08:41 AM.
post #36616 of 36626 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants0691 View Post
I've been using Pro Monitor 800's for side surrounds and Pro Monitor 1000's for rears in a 7.2.4 setup. I bought a pair of BPX's the other day that will be delivered on Tuesday.

In anticipation I moved the 1000's to the sides thinking I would put the BPX's in the rear positions.

The rear speakers are on stands and the sides are attached to the wall via mounts. I just recently moved and the room I'm working with is considerably smaller than my last so my couch basically goes from one side wall to the other. My only concern with my current plan is localization from the 1000's on the sides and am wondering if the BPX's would be better off there.

I'd flip flop your plan. Bpx on sides mounted and 1000s as rears. And if your interested I have a pair of BP2x that I'd get rid of cheap. They would match your BPX really well. They are not in the best shape but they are fully functional. I have no need for them.

Last edited by keeper; Today at 08:44 AM.
post #36617 of 36626 Old Today, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Well thanks guys. I grabbed them yesterday along with a clr3000 and he through in a pair of bp2x. All speakers function as they should and are in great shape. He was the original owner and his wife finally made him go to wireless Bose. She was all smiles while I was loading them up and he had an emotional attachment to them. I got them home and hooked them up in the garage. Completely floored. Amazing best I have ever heard. Better than my Bp30s. The best part of it I paid 1/3 of what Timothy quoted above for everything.
Right on bud!
Sounds like you got a hell of a dael...
Plus you finally got your CLR 3000..yay!
Is that your want add on cl?
post #36618 of 36626 Old Today, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 227
$500!!! Wtf dude.

Deal of a lifetime. Clr3000 is worth more than that
keeper and Gonzilla13 like this.
post #36619 of 36626 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup, you definitely got a great deal. But I feel like there should be a moment of silence for that poor guy! Jeez, I can't imagine going from the power and enveloping presence of that BP setup to something like Bose.....
keeper likes this.
post #36620 of 36626 Old Today, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants0691 View Post

Quote:
I'd flip flop your plan. Bpx on sides mounted and 1000s as rears.
^^ This ^^
Besides the worry you have about localization, in most instances if you're mixing a bi-pole and mono-pole for a 7 channel bed, the mono-pole's should usually be used as rears. Not to mention that the surrounds will get more of a workout and the BPX are just more capable in general.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
post #36621 of 36626 Old Today, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have been battling the subs in my BP9020s since I got them.

I am driving the 9020s with a Denon AVR-S920W receiver. When I connected the 9020s only using the speaker outputs, the subs would not turn on until the volume was fairly load.

So I switched to dedicated sub cables from the Denon to the 9020s. I've had to crank the sub output on the receiver to get the 9020 subs to wake-up and am fighting too much bass when they wake up.

With the Denon at level 10 for the sub output, I have the 9020s set to about a quarter of the way up on their sub levels. Even with that, they stil; are not kicking in on lower volumes.

Thanks
This is actually perplexing since using speaker wire only should alleviate the issue of too little voltage to turn them on, but what your describing sounds exactly like what would happen with a low input voltage scenario. Esp. since it's effecting both speakers.

Does your AVR have pre-outs for the mains as well? if so, another experiment would be to try setting the speakers to Large and running the LFE connections to those pre-outs to see what happens.
BTW.... You did set the speakers to Small and adjust the crossover when you hooked them up to the LFE? Correct? If not this would also cause this scenario as they would only turn on with LFE content and possibly not when you were expecting.

One last really ridiculous thing.... There has been some issues with the logos on the new speakers effecting the amps, some people have had this problem with the logos turned off for some reason, something to do with constant current to the logos keeping the amps in standby properly, as I said ridiculous, but there's been a couple of posts about it.

Let us know.

My Build Thread:
post #36622 of 36626 Old Today, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Does anyone need or want a CLR 2000? Need to get rid of it, have no need for it and it's taking up space. PM me if interested. I can send pics because the end caps have scratches.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #36623 of 36626 Old Today, 01:27 PM

Quote:
This is actually perplexing since using speaker wire only should alleviate the issue of too little voltage to turn them on, but what your describing sounds exactly like what would happen with a low input voltage scenario. Esp. since it's effecting both speakers.

Does your AVR have pre-outs for the mains as well? if so, another experiment would be to try setting the speakers to Large and running the LFE connections to those pre-outs to see what happens.
BTW.... You did set the speakers to Small and adjust the crossover when you hooked them up to the LFE? Correct? If not this would also cause this scenario as they would only turn on with LFE content and possibly not when you were expecting.

One last really ridiculous thing.... There has been some issues with the logos on the new speakers effecting the amps, some people have had this problem with the logos turned off for some reason, something to do with constant current to the logos keeping the amps in standby properly, as I said ridiculous, but there's been a couple of posts about it.

Let us know.
Thanks for the well thought out response.

My AVR did not have pre-outs on it, just sub outs. When I did try the sub outs I did adjust the cross over frequency but your point on the LFE is excellent. I started to think that way and wondered about it. To your point on the lights, I can tell that the subs are turning on when the lights come on. So the lights appear to be accurate.

I went out and bought a different AVR yesterday, a Marantz SR5011. Connected it from scratch using the speaker outs, even set the levels manually using my trust Radio Shack meter. So the current setup is Front Large, Center Small, and Surround Small.

The Marantz and Denon are identical in their setup routines, the Marantz just has a few extra features.

It fixed nothing. Exact same problem. I need to get the volume up to around 48 on the Marantz for the subs to kick in while watching DirecTV. But I learned something else messing around with both receivers - if I listen to two channel (such as SiriusXM) the subs kick in as expected - lower levels.

So it has something to do with 5.1 and I'm scratching my head why the higher volume is needed with my DirecTV DVR. Never seen a problem like this with other Def Techs I've owned in the past, it's a real head scratcher.

Appreciate any ideas, I'm up for trying anything. I've read the Marantz manual and can't find anything. It appears that my Denon AVR was working fine.

Thanks again for the response.
post #36624 of 36626 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The monster Bp3000s next to my good old Bp30s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2555.JPG (635.2 KB, 11 views)
post #36625 of 36626 Old Today, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just picked up a set of pro cinema 1000s front back and center with a pro cinema 800 sub for a house we're building and just was able to test it out a bit yesterday. Holy cow do these speakers rock. I'd read some reviews saying the 800 sub didn't impress but for me it really pumped.

Anyone else running 1000s and/or the 800 sub or a similar definitive technology setup and any advice as I plan to set up the basement theatre in a few week?

Again, impressed so far and I got a killer killer deal on this setup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #36626 of 36626 Old Today, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy337 View Post
I just picked up a set of pro cinema 1000s front back and center with a pro cinema 800 sub for a house we're building and just was able to test it out a bit yesterday. Holy cow do these speakers rock. I'd read some reviews saying the 800 sub didn't impress but for me it really pumped.

Anyone else running 1000s and/or the 800 sub or a similar definitive technology setup and any advice as I plan to set up the basement theatre in a few week?

Again, impressed so far and I got a killer killer deal on this setup...

I started out with the ProCinema 600 set and a Pioneer AVR a year and a half ago. The ProSub 600 blew in a week. I got a ProSub 800. It was "ok" but I took it back and got a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 sub. It was definitely better than the 800. At the time I had no idea about Hsu, SVS, or anyone else. I then added a ProCenter 1000 and ProMonitor 800's for fronts.

Making a long story short, I've upgraded several times since then and now have Studio Monitor 45 fronts, ProCenter 2000, four ProMonitor 800 surrounds, two Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs, and just added a new Denon X4300H AVR. I love these speakers and this new AVR.

I couldn't believe the difference going from PM800's to the 45's. And, the PC2000 was a big upgrade over the PC1000. I can see you making several upgrades over the next few years. Enjoy your speakers!

Hetfieldjames likes this.

Pioneer Elite VSX-90 7.2 * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds * dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page