Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 740Likes

post #36721 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Silver??? Hmmm.. not sure about that. I like all black and I don't like those colored woofers like some companies use. Well you know they're wanting to stay with that "D" logo and go away from "Definitive".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I saw a quick add that flashed some new products saying "look for big cedia announcement" and it looked like a new bookshelf flashes extremely quickly and it did indeed just have the "D" logo. Something else I don't know if I like. I remember when I first got into Def Tech they had removable metal "Definitive" logos you stuck in the front of speakers. It looked cool.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36722 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah I saw a quick add that flashed some new products saying "look for big cedia announcement" and it looked like a new bookshelf flashes extremely quickly and it did indeed just have the "D" logo. Something else I don't know if I like. I remember when I first got into Def Tech they had removable metal "Definitive" logos you stuck in the front of speakers. It looked cool.

Here's a few quick screenshots I could get from Instagram. All I know is they better step their game up!

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
post #36723 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here's a few quick screenshots I could get from Instagram. All I know is they better step their game up!

Yes that's it exactly. I stumbled onto it the other day and have been trying to find it ever since. I will know right away with the bookshelf speakers by one spec, if they weigh 12 pounds or 14 they went in the wrong direction. That means they are cutting corners, cutting weight to save on shipping and be damned the sound.
This is was my last Def Tech set up anyway. After this it's going to be time to move on. Something ID like PSA or Ascend acoustics and quite a few others. Those two just have my attention right now. Salk is another one but these are all gonna cost money, money I don't have right now and I'm not replacing brand be Def Techs that sound awesome, really, really awesome for the hell of it. I love these Def Techs, I just fear the next round will not be as good. Hey I could be wrong, they just may surprise us all.

post #36724 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok guys so here is a little game and hope it's fun! Help me find best way/combo setup this theater room. It's by no means a great room for doing this but it's what I have to work with.

Plans is to have 7.1.4. However the tower also have subs since DT so it's not a true 7.1.4.

Here is all the speakers I have at my place now that I can use. Trying to use what I have and then try replace center. Might sell off extra stuff.

DT Speakers:

BP2000 x2
BP7002 x2
CLR 2500
BP2X x2
BPX x2
ProMonitor 1000 x6
Di 6.5R x4

SUB: Klipch SW115

So where would you place these speakers in the mock ups and why?

Speaker Towers by Ray Milyard, on Flickr
Speaker Rears by Ray Milyard, on Flickr

Please ask any questions. I know pics not great but can try to help all I can. Just want to have a solid game plan before start.

Plan for towers by platform is run speaker wires to each tower though the platform and also power.
post #36725 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm wondering if anyone with the original mythos st have a strange noise coming from their powered woofer? I just replaced the woofer in my left tower twice both times it has the exact same noise, almost sounds like a bad spider, but there is no way all 3 woofers have a spider issue. Im at a loss I checked all the seals around the radiators and the woofers themselves and they're all perfect. The sound is 100% coming from the woofer itself.. Cannot figure out what's going on or what's causing the noise, hoping someone here has a suggestion. The noise isn't audible until the receiver is around -20 and grows increasingly more noticeable as it gets louder. The problem is every time I try to record it to give an example of what's happening - the music or movie volume makes the actual noise almost unnoticeable. That's obviously only an issue with trying to record it & it's much more noticeable in person.

post #36726 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilyard View Post
Please ask any questions.
Is that the Sub in the back between the doors?
Does it have to stay there?

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #36727 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Is that the Sub in the back between the doors?
Does it have to stay there?
Sorry bad drawing. That is a small pony wall that the door opens to. There is a door stopper at bottom for it. I didn't place any subs in the room other that ones in BP towers. So no idea where Klipsh will go or if needed.

Also the 4 theater chairs will have these new SoundShakers installed and pit sofa will have my 4 Aura Bass Shakers added.
post #36728 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Ok guys so here is a little game and hope it's fun! Help me find best way/combo setup this theater room. It's by no means a great room for doing this but it's what I have to work with.

Plans is to have 7.1.4. However the tower also have subs since DT so it's not a true 7.1.4.

Here is all the speakers I have at my place now that I can use. Trying to use what I have and then try replace center. Might sell off extra stuff.

DT Speakers:

BP2000 x2
BP7002 x2
CLR 2500
BP2X x2
BPX x2
ProMonitor 1000 x6
Di 6.5R x4

SUB: Klipch SW115

So where would you place these speakers in the mock ups and why?

Speaker Towers by Ray Milyard, on Flickr
Speaker Rears by Ray Milyard, on Flickr

Please ask any questions. I know pics not great but can try to help all I can. Just want to have a solid game plan before start.

Plan for towers by platform is run speaker wires to each tower though the platform and also power.
Bp2000 fronts
Get clr 2000/3000 center
7002 sides
Bpx back above couch- like me you don't have a lot of room to spread the bpx apart- that's okay it will work fine.
Di6.5 atmos
rmilyard likes this.
post #36729 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Bp2000 fronts
Get clr 2000/3000 center
7002 sides
Bpx back above couch- like me you don't have a lot of room to spread the bpx apart- that's okay it will work fine.
Di6.5 atmos
This is what I was kinda thinking. I think others pointing this way too. The Towers for surrounds will be awesome however I just don't like how they will look in the room. So thinking the BPX get them as far apart as I can?

Going to have the platform I think have speaker jacks at each end where towers are. Easy plug in then. Also add power plugs at each.
post #36730 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post
I'm wondering if anyone with the original mythos st have a strange noise coming from their powered woofer? I just replaced the woofer in my left tower twice both times it has the exact same noise, almost sounds like a bad spider, but there is no way all 3 woofers have a spider issue. Im at a loss I checked all the seals around the radiators and the woofers themselves and they're all perfect. The sound is 100% coming from the woofer itself.. Cannot figure out what's going on or what's causing the noise, hoping someone here has a suggestion. The noise isn't audible until the receiver is around -20 and grows increasingly more noticeable as it gets louder. The problem is every time I try to record it to give an example of what's happening - the music or movie volume makes the actual noise almost unnoticeable. That's obviously only an issue with trying to record it & it's much more noticeable in person.

Have you tried it with the grills removed? Mine rattle when the volume is high or there's a significant bass note. Imo they dropped the ball with the grills. Weak and creaky.
post #36731 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJ View Post
Have you tried it with the grills removed? Mine rattle when the volume is high or there's a significant bass note. Imo they dropped the ball with the grills. Weak and creaky.

Unfortunately yes I've tried that, it was my first step in the process and it didn't work which is what lead me to replacing the woofer. Thanks for the suggestion anyways man

post #36732 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry bad drawing. That is a small pony wall that the door opens to. There is a door stopper at bottom for it. I didn't place any subs in the room other that ones in BP towers. So no idea where Klipsh will go or if needed.

Also the 4 theater chairs will have these new SoundShakers installed and pit sofa will have my 4 Aura Bass Shakers added.
Ok, so as @keeper said, use that speaker combo, just mount the BPX as far apart as you can on the back wall between the window and door and you'll be fine.
The Atmos speakers should be above the front edge of each row of seating for TF/TR.
No matter what wiring configuration you go with, make sure you run RCA cable for the surrounds as well, better to have it there than not.
Placement of the speakers is good, point the bass drivers of the surrounds facing out of course. (If I remember correctly the 7002's have identical driver arrangements for the mid drivers, so you should be able to do this.)
And of course the woofers of the 2000's facing each other.

Now for connections.... I'm thinking you have a couple of real options, just choose what sounds best to you.
For your Center, also just choose what sounds best to you, Large or Small with a crossover. (Probably 80Hz)

And as far as your Fronts, your just going to have to adjust the volume and low pass filter button to taste, phase/low frequency equalization will probably be centered, but again your room and personal taste will determine all of this.

1. Place your Sub under your center, Run your Fronts as Large with all the jumpers in place. Run your surrounds as Small with an 80Hz Crossover and connect your Powered Woofers on the 7002's with the RCA cables to your LFE on the receiver using a Y connector or connectors. (Remove any jumpers on the 7002's that you need to between the mid and lows, I just don't remember how they connect)

2. Don't use the Sub, connect the surrounds as above, but also do the same with the Fronts, Small, 60-80hz crossover, LFE to the Powered Woofers with RCA cables.
(REMOVE THE JUMPERS BETWEEN MID AND LOW, THIS IS A MUST WITH THE 2000's)

3. Do the same as 2 but use the Sub as well, placement is up to you, but I'd try just in front of either surround, or again under the Center.

4. Place the Sub under the Center, run your Fronts and Surrounds as large with all the jumpers in place and speaker wire only. (Probably not enough LFE but it won't hurt anything to try, it might be OK to you)

On a side note, since I'm different, if it were me, I'd do connection 4 and add 2 more Subs placed right next to your surrounds and maybe even 2 up front instead of the one single, but again read my Sig and screen name...... LOL.

But it's your room, what sounds best to you....IS the right way.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:

Last edited by ALtlOff; 09-02-2017 at 07:26 PM.
post #36733 of 37379 Old 09-02-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Never has firing drivers inwards sounded better. I'd always have subs on outside.

Firing both in together introduces easy cancellation
post #36734 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Possibly, but the 2000's have the powered woofers firing in opposing directions, so if you fire one out, you have to fire the other out as well, so that would mean the left woofer would fire straight into the wall according to the diagram.

My Build Thread:
post #36735 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Def Tech says they have a big announcement next week at CEDIA '17. The new bookshelves maybe?

Quote:
They definitely need new subs to compete with the ID companies. I'm really hoping it's a new bookshelf speaker and maybe not "Studio Monitor". They need that nice flat squared off design with a nice look with the grills off and nicer looking speakers.. maybe better tweeters!

Quote:
I was told the new bookshelf speakers are gonna have quite a bit of silver on the front which I'm not sure I'm gonna like. I'm not saying I won't but I'm not sure until I see them. Hopefully by Tuesday we'll see what they have come up with

There's an ad in the brand-new issue of Sound and Vision magazine that shows the new bookshelves. No specs or explanation, just a pic of 3 of them. Not much in the way of info or specs.....

"Demand Series bookshelf speakers are proof of this ethos, conceived and executed under Southern California's golden hue of innovation.

Laterally offset tweeters engineered for the most precise imaging that eliminate synthetic diffraction.

Upward firing bass radiators to ensure every aspect of their deep low end is clean, heard and felt within and around you.

An extruded aluminum front baffle whose look forever embodies our timeless aesthetic.

This and more--because, like you, we demand it.

This is what obsession sounds like."

The accompanying picture shows 3 models, all single tweeter and single woofer with the tweeters offset to the right. If I had to guess, I'd say 5.25", 6.5", and 8" woofers just judging from the picture.

Oh, and if the front really is extruded aluminum, that's a big hunk o' metal. It looks 3/4" or 1" thick.

TCL 55P607, Samsung K8500, 4K Fire TV, Marantz 6011, Rotel 1075 (Atmos)
DefTech SM 65 (X7), SVS PC12-Plus (X2), SVS Prime Elevation (X4)
Headphone rig: PC-> Schiit Wyrd ->Schiit Modi Multibit ->Stax SRM-353X ->Schiit Jotunheim
Headphones: Stax SR-207, Stax SR-L700, M1060, TH-X00 Purpleheart, HD600, HD6XX, etc...
post #36736 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Damn looks like Baja's store is closing too. Just noticed he got almost nothing left and has an add for store closing sale everything must go.

Samsung UN65KS8000/Samsung UBD-M9500/Denon AVR-x6200w/Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
DefTech StudioMonitor 65 x3(L/C/R),ProMonitor 1000 x4(Surround),DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/PS4 Pro/Xbox One S/APC H15/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #36737 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
Damn looks like Baja's store is closing too. Just noticed he got almost nothing left and has an add for store closing sale everything must go.

That honestly irritates me to an incredible level I ordered about 3,000 dollars worth of gear on the 31st and now he's offering an additional 20% off a day later..

post #36738 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Zuehlke View Post
There's an ad in the brand-new issue of Sound and Vision magazine that shows the new bookshelves. No specs or explanation, just a pic of 3 of them. Not much in the way of info or specs.....

"Demand Series bookshelf speakers are proof of this ethos, conceived and executed under Southern California's golden hue of innovation.

Laterally offset tweeters engineered for the most precise imaging that eliminate synthetic diffraction.

Upward firing bass radiators to ensure every aspect of their deep low end is clean, heard and felt within and around you.

An extruded aluminum front baffle whose look forever embodies our timeless aesthetic.

The accompanying picture shows 3 models, all single tweeter and single woofer with the tweeters offset to the right. If I had to guess, I'd say 5.25", 6.5", and 8" woofers just judging from the picture.

Oh, and if the front really is extruded aluminum, that's a big hunk o' metal. It looks 3/4" or 1" thick.
Wow and I forgot to renew my subscription. That sounds great actually, can't wait to see and hear about the rest. An 8 inch woofer would certainly be pretty awesome. I was hoping maybe they'd go 10 inch but 8 some bad either. Huh gonna have to take a serious look now.

post #36739 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wow! What's DefTech Owners gonna do now for parts or for better deals than new? Refurbs?

BrigadierAngus likes this.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
post #36740 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post
Quote:

That honestly irritates me to an incredible level I ordered about 3,000 dollars worth of gear on the 31st and now he's offering an additional 20% off a day later..

Yeah that does stink only a day later.

I checked to see how much cheaper the sm65s I got was but could not find them. I had my stuff for a year now and got it same price as it is now listed on sale new on deftechs site. Though listed as refurb I could swear the stuff was new. The pro monitor 1000s and di5.5rs are actually listed higher right now than what I had paid.

This stinks even more for my buds and others that were told about Baja that have not got around to buying yet.

Quote:
Quote:

Wow! What's DefTech Owners gonna do now for parts or for better deals than new? Refurbs?

Do not know about refurbs but parts are pretty easy to get directly from deftech and free most of the time surprisingly. I have had friends both order parts from Baja and directly from deftech and if not free would only charge for one part when they needed multiple.

Either way this stinks overall. I always figured I would go through him next time I wanted to upgrade. Hopefully he opens back up or they open up a new store when they need to offload refurbs, returns, or however that stock works.
post #36741 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I moved furniture and re-running Audyssey...the biggest difference now is my surrounds (SR9040) are registering as 150hz for the -3dB. I'm pretty sure it hit lower last time I ran them (80hz).

Should they be angled differently so the Mic can pick it up better? They are currently on the side of the couch with the back flat side of the speaker facing away (just like the instructions).

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #36742 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Ok so I thought my BP7002 were huge! OMG these BP2000 I picked up yesterday are even bigger! Soo sucks that had to tear down my home theater and haven't been able to use them yet. Move date starts Sept 22.
keeper likes this.
post #36743 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok so I thought my BP7002 were huge! OMG these BP2000 I picked up yesterday are even bigger! Soo sucks that had to tear down my home theater and haven't been able to use them yet. Move date starts Sept 22.
Lol, the 7000's and 3000's are even bigger....
I've got 8 2000's in my room...
Good luck and let us know when you get to working on it.
rmilyard likes this.

My Build Thread:
post #36744 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Zuehlke View Post

The SM350 and SM450 had offset tweeters two generations ago... that's kind of funny.
post #36745 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have to admit I'm pretty excited to see what they have come up with here. The SM 65/55/45 really are great speakers so I'll ever interested to see if they topped them. Can't wait to see the specs.

post #36746 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not a fan of the bass radiators. No other speaker companies use those on their bookshelf speakers.. a lot of them are ported. I was hoping the new ones wouldn't have them. Also, I wish they had some nice looking towers with removable covers and still look nice showing the speakers… with no bass radiators and no subwoofers in them.

post #36747 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
Lol, the 7000's and 3000's are even bigger....
I've got 8 2000's in my room...
Good luck and let us know when you get to working on it.
The Bp3000s are the biggest speakers I have ever seen. Wife was not happy when I brought them home. They make the Bp30s look like babies.
rmilyard likes this.
post #36748 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Passive bass radiators are actually more expensive and a upgrade over just a port.

Many companies use them and still do.

Definitely shouldn't be putting pbr on top of speakers though. Makes zero sense.
post #36749 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know when the current studio speakers came out? Just curious as to how long it took for them to be replaced.

post #36750 of 37379 Old 09-03-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know when the current studio speakers came out? Just curious as to how long it took for them to be replaced.

I think it was 2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page