Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 630Likes

post #36901 of 36908 Old 09-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a Definitive Technology system that I purchased in 2000 with 2004TL mains, CLR-2300 center, BP2X surrounds and BP1.2X rears.

I also have several extra ProMonitor 80 and ProMonitor 60 speakers that I can utilize.

The BP2X have 14 cm bass/midrange, the BP 1.2x have 12 cm bass/midrange. The ProMonitor 80 has 4 1/2" bass/midrange and the ProMonitor 60 has 3 1/2" bass/midrange. All have the same 1" tweeter.

Am I better off switching out the bipolar speakers surrounds and rears for the Pro Cinema direct radiators to better take advantage of DTS HD Master, Dolby True HD etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36902 of 36908 Old 09-17-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
I have a Definitive Technology system that I purchased in 2000 with 2004TL mains, CLR-2300 center, BP2X surrounds and BP1.2X rears.

I also have several extra ProMonitor 80 and ProMonitor 60 speakers that I can utilize.

The BP2X have 14 cm bass/midrange, the BP 1.2x have 12 cm bass/midrange. The ProMonitor 80 has 4 1/2" bass/midrange and the ProMonitor 60 has 3 1/2" bass/midrange. All have the same 1" tweeter.

Am I better off switching out the bipolar speakers surrounds and rears for the Pro Cinema direct radiators to better take advantage of DTS HD Master, Dolby True HD etc.?
If anything you may try swapping out the BP1.2x for the PM80's, that would be about it. The normal recommendation is that bi-poles are ok for surrounds, but mono-poles should be used "If you can" for rears.

While Dolby recommends only mono-poles, using bi-poles is a "very" minor compromise at best, esp as surrounds. Reason for this is that the recommendation of mono-poles has much to do with the object based portion of the audio, to help with its accuracy, and since most Atmos mixes are still 5.1 based with object audio added to that, much of the signal that your surrounds see is still channel based and no different than what we've been used to.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #36903 of 36908 Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Seems to be case by case, my 9040 towers and 9060 centre don't pop whether the LED's are on or off.
So been a couple days now and oddly this seems accurate that sub LED's off on these speakers seem to stop the popping. Really don't understand this as manual indicates this is just for letting you know they are on/off. But it feels like it does more than that which is kinda bleh don't like these on.

post #36904 of 36908 Old Today, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is anyone going to give the new Demand series a shot? Will be interesting to see how they fare in the well-established realm of Bookshelf speakers. I haven't listened to very many different speakers in my day, but I do still like the old SM series.

Stuff, I have some of it
post #36905 of 36908 Old Today, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwinlied View Post
Is anyone going to give the new Demand series a shot? Will be interesting to see how they fare in the well-established realm of Bookshelf speakers. I haven't listened to very many different speakers in my day, but I do still like the old SM series.
I'll give them a listen and read everything I can about them but I'm not holding my breath for any great sound. I don't why but I just feel that way. Hopefully I'll be very surprised.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #36906 of 36908 Old Today, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I'll give them a listen and read everything I can about them but I'm not holding my breath for any great sound. I don't why but I just feel that way. Hopefully I'll be very surprised.

For those prices they'd better sound pretty dang good. Still makes me chuckle that Def Tech is touting the offset tweeter as an improvement when that's how they did it for the 350s and 450s two generations ago.
post #36907 of 36908 Old Today, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
For those prices they'd better sound pretty dang good. Still makes me chuckle that Def Tech is touting the offset tweeter as an improvement when that's how they did it for the 350s and 450s two generations ago.
No offense to anyone and a bigger Def Tech guy you could not find, but that is such a gimmick to me. To me these scream to be yuppie speakers that will look good next to the TV on the wall but I don't know if it'll have that quality the SM 65s and 55's I have. I don't know but for some reason I'm feeling not with these. Sold in pairs only I don't like either. I understand why but I don't like that.

post #36908 of 36908 Old Today, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I’d like to hear them but I’m going with floor speakers/towers next. If they don’t come out with some new floor speakers without the “sock” I’ll be buying a different brand (may be doing that anyway). I don’t like the sock design and I don’t subs in my towers. I want at least two to three 6” or bigger drivers.. no 5.25” driver that actually measures around 4.5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * DT Studio Monitor 45 front L/R * DT ProCenter 2000 * DT ProMonitor 800 surrounds x 4 * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 subs x 2 * VTI RF Series 29" speaker stands * DT ProMount90 wall mounts * OSD Audio WSK-100 wireless sub kit *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page