Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1246 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 739Likes

post #37351 of 37375 Old 10-17-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
I meant that maybe “Demand” will be the new name of the towers next year..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe, ya never know.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37352 of 37375 Old Today, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I meant that maybe “Demand” will be the new name of the towers next year..?

I personally would love if definitive would bring a passive tower out.I love my 9060 powered towers but a passive set would be interesting.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #37353 of 37375 Old Today, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Definitive Owners Thread

Well.. I got the 8080’s hooked up yesterday (speaker wire only for now) and ran Audyssey through the App (the second time was better) and it had the fronts as Small at 40hz (I set the sub dial on both as close to halfway as I could). It has my center at 100hz, the sides at 150hz, and the rears at 120hz. The sub came back at -7.0 so I bumped it to -3.0. I listened to the fronts at 40, 60, and 80hz but 60hz sounded the best to me (blended with the sub better). It sounds pretty good but gonna work on it some more this weekend. I did a quick 3 seat Audyssey calibration through the AVR and checked it.. fronts were Large, center was 80hz, and sides and rears were 120hz. The MultEQ App just updated this morning so I’ll try it again this weekend. But overall I’m pretty happy with them so far. I’m getting Volume around -25 now that I was getting in the -18 to -20 volume range. They’re definitely louder and my center sounds even better. I listened to (and watched) the first few minutes of “I Am Legend” where he’s chasing the deer in the Mustang GT500 and “Wow!” I was glowing inside! Here’s my before (SM45’s on stands and Hsu sub) and the after with just the towers. The angle of the picture makes them look like they’re turned outward but they’re not.

Before

After

weekendtoy, ALtlOff and pmat123 like this.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *

Last edited by Falconsfan71; Today at 10:05 AM.

post #37354 of 37375 Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Lol @ falcons fan listening to dangerous woman . You own it girl!

Looks nice man, I hope you’re happy with your purchase.

It may be just the way the pic is positioned but I feel like you might benefit from a little more room behind your 8080’s, let them breathe!

Then again, you might be cramped for room but imho if you can give em a little more room you’ll thank yourself

post #37355 of 37375 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrigadierAngus View Post
Lol @ falcons fan listening to dangerous woman . You own it girl!

Looks nice man, I hope you’re happy with your purchase.

It may be just the way the pic is positioned but I feel like you might benefit from a little more room behind your 8080’s, let them breathe!

Then again, you might be cramped for room but imho if you can give em a little more room you’ll thank yourself

Ha! Yea, that day I took the pic I had it on Today’s Hits and of course that’s the song that had to be playing lol.

I’ll measure them tonight but I’d say there’s at least 6-8 inches between the back of the tower and the wall. You’re saying there should be more? I had them farther out, closer in, closer to the console, and even tried “toed in” and I didn’t notice any difference in sound from sitting on the sofa.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
post #37356 of 37375 Old Today, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Well.. I got the 8080’s hooked up yesterday (speaker wire only for now) and ran Audyssey through the App (the second time was better) and it had the fronts as Small at 40hz (I set the sub dial on both as close to halfway as I could). It has my center at 100hz, the sides at 150hz, and the rears at 120hz. The sub came back at -7.0 so I bumped it to -3.0. I listened to the fronts at 40, 60, and 80hz but 60hz sounded the best to me (blended with the sub better). It sounds pretty good but gonna work on it some more this weekend. I did a quick 3 seat Audyssey calibration through the AVR and checked it.. fronts were Large, center was 80hz, and sides and rears were 120hz. The MultEQ App just updated this morning so I’ll try it again this weekend. But overall I’m pretty happy with them so far. I’m getting Volume around -25 now that I was getting in the -18 to -20 volume range. They’re definitely louder and my center sounds even better. I listened to (and watched) the first few minutes of “I Am Legend” where he’s chasing the deer in the Mustang GT500 and “Wow!” I was glowing inside! Here’s my before (SM45’s on stands and Hsu sub) and the after with just the towers. The angle of the picture makes them look like they’re turned outward but they’re not.

Before

After

Very nice looking setup Falconsfan - congrats on the upgrade! One question - your setup seems squished a little towards the fireplace, not symmetrical on the wall, and the towers are very tight to the entertainment center. Sandy Gross always recommends spreading those towers as wide as possible, even more than an equilateral triangle. Have you considered moving everything left, centering your display on the wall, and spreading your towers wider from the entertainment center? You may have to relocate your shelves, but you may get a better result SQ wise.

Also, have you tried running the towers as large, with LFE to your external sub? This is how Def Tech and Sandy at GoldenEar recommend they be setup with an external sub. I know other knowledgeable people on these forums recommend running them as small with a crossover in the AVR, but I wouldn't discount what the founder of Def Tech and the creator and designer of the speakers recommends without trying it out.
post #37357 of 37375 Old Today, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa1 View Post
Very nice looking setup Falconsfan - congrats on the upgrade! One question - your setup seems squished a little towards the fireplace, not symmetrical on the wall, and the towers are very tight to the entertainment center. Sandy Gross always recommends spreading those towers as wide as possible, even more than an equilateral triangle. Have you considered moving everything left, centering your display on the wall, and spreading your towers wider from the entertainment center? You may have to relocate your shelves, but you may get a better result SQ wise.

Also, have you tried running the towers as large, with LFE to your external sub? This is how Def Tech and Sandy at GoldenEar recommend they be setup with an external sub. I know other knowledgeable people on these forums recommend running them as small with a crossover in the AVR, but I wouldn't discount what the founder of Def Tech and the creator and designer of the speakers recommends without trying it out.

I have considered everything you said. I can’t move to the left anymore because my sofa can’t go any further to the left and everything is centered currently. Yes, I hate the layout and wish I had no fireplace. I have a Hsu VTF-3 MK5 sub in the right corner. I’ve changed the wireless kit to the new Outlaw OAW4 since this pic.

post #37358 of 37375 Old Today, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Welcome to the world of Supertowers...lol
Don't get too caught up into "do everything now", you'll probably tweak for a month or so even after you think everything is right.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #37359 of 37375 Old Today, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I have considered everything you said. I can’t move to the left anymore because my sofa can’t go any further to the left and everything is centered currently. Yes, I hate the layout and wish I had no fireplace. I have a Hsu VTF-3 MK5 sub in the right corner. I’ve changed the wireless kit to the new Outlaw OAW4 since this pic.

I figured you had good reasons for your layout - I have a similar issue with my guest room setup. My BP7006 towers are squished close to my entertainment center because if I spread them out wider the door opening in the room would hit the left tower.

If you get a chance, I would be curious how your 8080's sound set to large with LFE to your external sub compared to small with varying crossovers set in the AVR. I looked at this awhile ago and remember reading that there are some theoretical/technical reasons to favor this setup, not merely simplicity and convenience - I believe it had to do with avoiding cascading active crossovers that could cause cancellation or amplification of certain frequencies depending on the crossover points for the powered woofers in the speakers, the external sub, and in the AVR.
post #37360 of 37375 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I figured you had good reasons for your layout - I have a similar issue with my guest room setup. My BP7006 towers are squished close to my entertainment center because if I spread them out wider the door opening in the room would hit the left tower.

If you get a chance, I would be curious how your 8080's sound set to large with LFE to your external sub compared to small with varying crossovers set in the AVR. I looked at this awhile ago and remember reading that there are some theoretical/technical reasons to favor this setup, not merely simplicity and convenience - I believe it had to do with avoiding cascading active crossovers that could cause cancellation or amplification of certain frequencies depending on the crossover points for the powered woofers in the speakers, the external sub, and in the AVR.

I’m still learning about all that. I have a Denon X4300H with MultEQ XT32 and dual sub EQ. “If” Audyssey set them to Large are they EQ’d? If it sets them to Small and I change them to Large, what changes?

post #37361 of 37375 Old Today, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I’m still learning about all that. I have a Denon X4300H with MultEQ XT32 and dual sub EQ. “If” Audyssey set them to Large are they EQ’d? If it sets them to Small and I change them to Large, what changes?

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-85 AVR that uses MCAAC so I am not sure how Audyssey works, hopefully someone can chime in on that. But I think generally your room correction system will still apply correction to speakers set to large in the AVR, at least MCAAC does. But if you want the subs in your towers to be EQ'd independently by your AVR than I believe you need to run your LFE connectors to the LFE inputs on your speakers, but I'm not sure where that would leave your external sub in terms of EQ, not sure it could independently correct the subs in your BP8080's AND your external sub at the same time.
post #37362 of 37375 Old Today, 01:37 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
I have a Pioneer Elite SC-85 AVR that uses MCAAC so I am not sure how Audyssey works, hopefully someone can chime in on that. But I think generally your room correction system will still apply correction to speakers set to large in the AVR, at least MCAAC does. But if you want the subs in your towers to be EQ'd independently by your AVR than I believe you need to run your LFE connectors to the LFE inputs on your speakers, but I'm not sure where that would leave your external sub in terms of EQ, not sure it could independently correct the subs in your BP8080's AND your external sub at the same time.
I have an SC-95. What do you have your crossover set at? I have mine at 100Hz and my towers set to small.

Really wish I could set my channels to individual levels!
post #37363 of 37375 Old Today, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants0691 View Post
I have an SC-95. What do you have your crossover set at? I have mine at 100Hz and my towers set to small.

Really wish I could set my channels to individual levels!

That’s why I left Pioneer. That make no sense to me and I don’t know why they won’t change that.

post #37364 of 37375 Old Today, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is the CLR2300 an upgrade over the ProCenter 2000? If so, how? It has two 4.5” drivers vs two 5.25” in the PC2000.

post #37365 of 37375 Old Today, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I cranked my SM 65s and SM 55s today, well -20 for me is cranking and by God was I pleased with the sound. Blown away would be more appropriate. Really impressed with this system. Also the PB-1000 is very, very impressive. It knocked my socks off as well. Wondering what a second in the system might do but one is pretty awesome.
I had on Allegiant and man did it just sound ridiculous. Crystal clear and powerful. I don't know how Def Tech does it.

Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #37366 of 37375 Old Today, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Yes. Audyssey finds the -dB point of the speaker and the AVR sets it to that. In your case, the entire full range frequency is EQ'd.

If they get set to small with a crossover, they are EQ'd up to that frequency (at that speaker). You are safe to increase it (the lower frequencies will be relayed to the separate HSU sub which is EQ'd also...if you run the towers with LFE connection, it's essentially the same woofer playing LFE and below crossover), but decreasing it means you will be playing non EQ'd frequencies and potentially beyond the speakers capability of staying within 3dB.

I don't know what other speakers you have (center, surrounds etc) but keep playing and tweaking. Try a bunch of movies and music, preferably lossless, to get familiar and start noticing differences.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #37367 of 37375 Old Today, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I cranked my SM 65s and SM 55s today, well -20 for me is cranking and by God was I pleased with the sound. Blown away would be more appropriate. Really impressed with this system. Also the PB-1000 is very, very impressive. It knocked my socks off as well. Wondering what a second in the system might do but one is pretty awesome.
I had on Allegiant and man did it just sound ridiculous. Crystal clear and powerful. I don't know how Def Tech does it.

The one thing definitive does that most others don't are the way there drivers are.They are supported at the INNER and OUTER part of there drivers.

post #37368 of 37375 Old Today, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
The one thing definitive does that most others don't are the way there drivers are.They are supported at the INNER and OUTER part of there drivers.

Wow, I did not know that. It's above my understanding but sound cool and like a good thing. They do something right because they really do design and build fantastic speakers.

post #37369 of 37375 Old Today, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, I did not know that. It's above my understanding but sound cool and like a good thing. They do something right because they really do design and build fantastic speakers.

Your response is why I think most other people dismiss definitive because they think small drivers cannot sound as good as larger ones.Another aspect is that ever since the 8000 series and on the rear drivers on there bipolar towers are 6 DB lower than the front.Making them sound more like direct radiating towers than bipolar.The older line didn't attenuate the rear from the front and the same level came out the back as well as the front.You still get the bipolar effect in the 8000 and 9000 series but the bipolar effect is much more subtle that it used to be.

post #37370 of 37375 Old Today, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And you’re talking about jumping ship? ..going to another brand? Why? You need to just stop and enjoy the system! I’m sure they’ll have something new when you’re ready to upgrade or change!

post #37371 of 37375 Old Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your response is why I think most other people dismiss definitive because they think small drivers cannot sound as good as larger ones.Another aspect is that ever since the 8000 series and on the rear drivers on there bipolar towers are 6 DB lower than the front.Making them sound more like direct radiating towers than bipolar.The older line didn't attenuate the rear from the front and the same level came out the back as well as the front.You still get the bipolar effect in the 8000 and 9000 series but the bipolar effect is much more subtle that it used to be.

That I did hear about the forward sounding bipolar speakers. I haven't heard them but did hear about that. I really like that actually because I do not have the right room for bipolar at all at least for mains. Maybe I'll go to Best Buy to check some out. I hate wait people's time especially salespeople though. I do not want to go back to towers at all right now. There Studio monitors are perfect right now and sound absolutely ridiculous.

post #37372 of 37375 Old Today, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And you’re talking about jumping ship? ..going to another brand? Why? You need to just stop and enjoy the system! I’m sure they’ll have something new when you’re ready to upgrade or change!

I'm kooky and think about it all the time but problem is if I bought he expensive speakers right now my ship would, um, sink. Ha ha I can't do anything for a long time speakers wise. Other small upgrades I will do like a new HT processor and 4k Blu-Ray player. I think I'm gonna set things up to move to 4k and skip fixing what ain't broken, my speakers. Ha ha.

Falconsfan71 likes this.
post #37373 of 37375 Old Today, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That I did hear about the forward sounding bipolar speakers. I haven't heard them but did hear about that. I really like that actually because I do not have the right room for bipolar at all at least for mains. Maybe I'll go to Best Buy to check some out. I hate wait people's time especially salespeople though. I do not want to go back to towers at all right now. There Studio monitors are perfect right now and sound absolutely ridiculous.

I hear ya...I've been thinking of picking up 2 studio monitor 65's for the bedroom as they are 250 a piece at Best buy right now.

Falconsfan71 likes this.

post #37374 of 37375 Old Today, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hear ya...I've been thinking of picking up 2 studio monitor 65's for the bedroom as they are 250 a piece at Best buy right now.

Yeah tell me about it. I wish I were putting my together right now, I'd have 5 SM 65s at that price! I didn't do too bad though, 3 SM 65s LCR and SM 55 surrounds for 1,424. All open box and scratch and dent from Crutchfield.

post #37375 of 37375 Old Today, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Can all 9000 series owners let me know how they're liking their setups? How can you compare them to the 8000 or previous setups?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page