Originally Posted by Falconsfan71
I have the 8080’s.. So how do know which is the best set up? Small or Large/Full Range? If Small, 40, 60, 80hz? The opinions or thoughts on here have been half say speaker wire only set to Large and half say Small and use LFE for the tower subs. I have a VTF-3 MK5 15” sub also.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're the only one that can figure out what's best for you. We do know that you check all the boxes:
(1) You have great speaker towers that are capable of playing full range signal cleanly
(2) You have a solid separate sub that you can place where you want and where it'sbest
(3) You have 2 pre-outs on your AVR
(4) You have an Auto Calibration setup
Your options are:
(1) Run the fronts as full range and let the sub handle only the LFE
(2) Run the fronts as the woofer to also take LFE, and set them as small thru AVR. DefTech recommends if you go this route, to start at 80hz. That way, the fronts will play the frequency + LFE. The pros are that you get LFE signal from 3 locations, the fronts and the sub. Whatever your AVR crosses them, the lower signals of the front channel play through the same woofer...it's just a matter of it getting sent from AVR or letting the internals distribtue that.
(3) Run the fronts as a regular speaker only (with no LFE cable) as small with some crossover that works best. The LFE will be sent to separate sub, but your towers can play anywhere easily between 40hz through 80hz. The woofers will still be engaged.