Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 745Likes

post #37381 of 37383 Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Definitive Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
This is where an Auto Calibration setup can help. Regarding Audyssey, it measures the -3dB of the speaker and the AVR sets the crossover and speaker to small (unless it's full/large).

It was recommended that you then raise it by an octave. Not sure how it is with the software these days, but with Audyssey XT32 you don't need to raise it since it actually accounts for the rolloff point.

The 8060s should register easily as full range and play cleanly and flat response assuming the room characteristic are either good or corrected for. If you have a separate sub, I would still recommend a small configuration with a crossover wherever it sounds and meadures best. If you don't have a separate sub, you can use the built in woofers to get the LFE channel so you don't lose that (if you ignore the LFE channel for a second, it's the same thing as running it with speaker wire since the same speakers/woofers will be playing, the difference is whether the AVR does the bass management or if you let the internals handle it and distribute the frequency). A sub can be optimally placed and handle the deep notes too.

I just got some 8080’s.. So how do you know which is the best set up? Small or Large/Full Range? If Small, 40, 60, 80hz? The opinions or thoughts on here have been half say speaker wire only set to Large and half say Small and use LFE for the tower subs. I have a VTF-3 MK5 15” sub also and a Denon X4300H with Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I’m thinking of trying the LFE option this weekend to see how the AVR manages the tower subs. I would think all that new software and sub EQ could make those tower subs sound better than just manually turning the volume knob on the back and trying to get them exactly the same by ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *

Last edited by Falconsfan71; Yesterday at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37382 of 37383 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
I have the 8080’s.. So how do know which is the best set up? Small or Large/Full Range? If Small, 40, 60, 80hz? The opinions or thoughts on here have been half say speaker wire only set to Large and half say Small and use LFE for the tower subs. I have a VTF-3 MK5 15” sub also.

You're the only one that can figure out what's best for you. We do know that you check all the boxes:

(1) You have great speaker towers that are capable of playing full range signal cleanly
(2) You have a solid separate sub that you can place where you want and where it'sbest
(3) You have 2 pre-outs on your AVR
(4) You have an Auto Calibration setup

Your options are:
(1) Run the fronts as full range and let the sub handle only the LFE
(2) Run the fronts as the woofer to also take LFE, and set them as small thru AVR. DefTech recommends if you go this route, to start at 80hz. That way, the fronts will play the frequency + LFE. The pros are that you get LFE signal from 3 locations, the fronts and the sub. Whatever your AVR crosses them, the lower signals of the front channel play through the same woofer...it's just a matter of it getting sent from AVR or letting the internals distribtue that.
(3) Run the fronts as a regular speaker only (with no LFE cable) as small with some crossover that works best. The LFE will be sent to separate sub, but your towers can play anywhere easily between 40hz through 80hz. The woofers will still be engaged.
Falconsfan71 likes this.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #37383 of 37383 Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
You're the only one that can figure out what's best for you. We do know that you check all the boxes:

(1) You have great speaker towers that are capable of playing full range signal cleanly

(2) You have a solid separate sub that you can place where you want and where it'sbest

(3) You have 2 pre-outs on your AVR

(4) You have an Auto Calibration setup

Your options are:

(1) Run the fronts as full range and let the sub handle only the LFE

(2) Run the fronts as the woofer to also take LFE, and set them as small thru AVR. DefTech recommends if you go this route, to start at 80hz. That way, the fronts will play the frequency + LFE. The pros are that you get LFE signal from 3 locations, the fronts and the sub. Whatever your AVR crosses them, the lower signals of the front channel play through the same woofer...it's just a matter of it getting sent from AVR or letting the internals distribtue that.

(3) Run the fronts as a regular speaker as small with some crossover that works best. The LFE will be sent to separate sub, but your towers can play anywhere easily between 40hz through 80hz. The woofers will still be engaged.

Trial and Error! Fun fun...

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page