Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 761Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37411 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFanMTV View Post
Thanks for your response. Is your TV & floor towers kept along the wall that you share with your neighbor ?
I don't have Def Tech towers, I have Studio speakers for all 5 channels. The front SM 65 LCR are not near a wall I share with neighbors. Same thing with the SVS PB-1000. It's on the same wall that is not shared with a neighbor. The SM 55 surrounds are on a wall shared with a neighbor. The sub I worry about with my neighbor downstairs but no complaints than goodness. My entire condo is carpeted except of course the kitchen and bathroom.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37412 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I don't have Def Tech towers, I have Studio speakers for all 5 channels. The front SM 65 LCR are not near a wall I share with neighbors. Same thing with the SVS PB-1000. It's on the same wall that is not shared with a neighbor. The SM 55 surrounds are on a wall shared with a neighbor. The sub I worry about with my neighbor downstairs but no complaints than goodness. My entire condo is carpeted except of course the kitchen and bathroom.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hmm my apartment is also entirely carpeted except of Kitchen and bathroom. But I have my TV unfortunately along the wall with my neighbor. & the towers would go besides it. Def Tech towers are bipolar so they will also fire sound in backward direction hence I am worried.

I already have a 10" 115 W Sony Sub along the wall I share with my neighbor and that has never caused any problems once I adjusted the bass to a level at which it does not disturb my neighbor. But I am concerned about rear direction sound from Tower speakers.

Sony A1E 55" OLED, LG E7P 65" OLED (coming in Oct 2017)
Sony SA-CS9 115W 10" Subwoofer, Sony HT-ST 5000 (coming Oct 2017)
TVFanMTV is online now  
post #37413 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFanMTV View Post
Hmm my apartment is also entirely carpeted except of Kitchen and bathroom. But I have my TV unfortunately along the wall with my neighbor. & the towers would go besides it. Def Tech towers are bipolar so they will also fire sound in backward direction hence I am worried.

I already have a 10" 115 W Sony Sub along the wall I share with my neighbor and that has never caused any problems once I adjusted the bass to a level at which it does not disturb my neighbor. But I am concerned about rear direction sound from Tower speakers.
Not really sure. I think apartments are different from condos. Tough question. I guess try it and see. Maybe talk to your neighbors?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
TVFanMTV likes this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
 
post #37414 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Member
 
htpc-geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFanMTV View Post
Hmm my apartment is also entirely carpeted except of Kitchen and bathroom. But I have my TV unfortunately along the wall with my neighbor. & the towers would go besides it. Def Tech towers are bipolar so they will also fire sound in backward direction hence I am worried.

I already have a 10" 115 W Sony Sub along the wall I share with my neighbor and that has never caused any problems once I adjusted the bass to a level at which it does not disturb my neighbor. But I am concerned about rear direction sound from Tower speakers.
Tough call. I live in a corner unit, with only 1 wall shared with another unit. The "shared" walls in our building aren't actually shared and have an air gap between the walls for extra sound proofing. We also have concrete floors/ceilings. It's a pretty quiet building. My setup is along a wall in the middle of the apartment, and I frequently watch content near reference level and listen to music quite loud as well.

When the apartment next to us was vacant last year, the building manager must have accidentally left the door open after a tour, and the door was ajar. I took the opportunity to put on a movie at my usual listening level, and went over and listened. I could barely hear it, and what I did hear was just from the sub (it's an SVS PC2000). I think you'd have to be listening for it. I've never had complaints, and I live in a building where people would complain.

That said, some people moved in to that apartment next door, and their system is against the wall that shares with our apartment. When they crank it, it's quite noticeable in our apartment. Enough that I went and talked to them. I had them come over and listen and they were surprised. I asked about my stereo and they said they don't ever notice mine. They don't crank theirs up anymore, and I haven't heard it since.

So... talk to your neighbor. Maybe ask them if you can test your volume to see what's acceptable. They will probably appreciate the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Not really sure. I think apartments are different from condos. Tough question. I guess try it and see. Maybe talk to your neighbors?
The difference between a condo and an apartment is ownership. They can have the exact same physical characteristics.
progprog and TVFanMTV like this.

--
Living Room Home Theater Pic
Denon AVR-X4300H, Speakers: R/L: Def Tech BP6P, C: Def Tech CLR 2002, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's
Sub: SVS PC-2000, TV: Vizio P65, Media Console: BDI Corridor 8173
Misc: TiVo, Apple TV 4K, PS4, Mac mini w/ Plex, Harmony One Remote
htpc-geek is offline  
post #37415 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Walls would have to be really thin and poorly insulated if a midrange and tweeter firing into the wall bothers your neighbors.

It should be a non issue unless you have better super towers like bp7000 or 7001.

Also someone recently brought up that newer line has a 6db drop on rear side of bipolar tower. They talked about the crossover doing this. Which is not true. They are 6db Lower because they only use one driver on back. Also newer lines sound brighter because they have a 4db push from 12khz up. The bp8080 is a little more neutral then say a sm45. Some people would even listen to sm45, sm55 or sm65 and think they are more detailed but the are just poorly designed.

I suggest that when you make a speaker change you do all your eq then just give it a couple weeks. Im sure after a few weeks your ears will be adjusted to the more balanced sound.
TVFanMTV likes this.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #37416 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
progprog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Other Washington
Posts: 9,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
So... talk to your neighbor. Maybe ask them if you can test your volume to see what's acceptable. They will probably appreciate the offer.
Great idea.
progprog is offline  
post #37417 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Walls would have to be really thin and poorly insulated if a midrange and tweeter firing into the wall bothers your neighbors.

It should be a non issue unless you have better super towers like bp7000 or 7001.

Also someone recently brought up that newer line has a 6db drop on rear side of bipolar tower. They talked about the crossover doing this. Which is not true. They are 6db Lower because they only use one driver on back. Also newer lines sound brighter because they have a 4db push from 12khz up. The bp8080 is a little more neutral then say a sm45. Some people would even listen to sm45, sm55 or sm65 and think they are more detailed but the are just poorly designed.

I suggest that when you make a speaker change you do all your eq then just give it a couple weeks. Im sure after a few weeks your ears will be adjusted to the more balanced sound.

Timothy I am getting a new LG E7 TV and with that I have a choice of getting Sony HT5000 (I have it on order currently) or two Def Tech BP-9020ST tower speakers, a CS-9040HD center-channel speaker and Denon Reciever (which is what I am thinking to get instead of a soundbar). Since I was buying 9020ST which have bipolar speakers I was concerned. I already have Sony 115 Watt 10" Subwoofer whose bass I have adjusted so that it does not disturb the neighbor and he is ok with that level.

Some have pointed I can do the same for bass in 8" Subwoofer in the floor towers and I think I can do that but I am worried about backward firing speakers in Def tech towers.

Sony A1E 55" OLED, LG E7P 65" OLED (coming in Oct 2017)
Sony SA-CS9 115W 10" Subwoofer, Sony HT-ST 5000 (coming Oct 2017)
TVFanMTV is online now  
post #37418 of 37439 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
Tough call. I live in a corner unit, with only 1 wall shared with another unit. The "shared" walls in our building aren't actually shared and have an air gap between the walls for extra sound proofing. We also have concrete floors/ceilings. It's a pretty quiet building. My setup is along a wall in the middle of the apartment, and I frequently watch content near reference level and listen to music quite loud as well.

When the apartment next to us was vacant last year, the building manager must have accidentally left the door open after a tour, and the door was ajar. I took the opportunity to put on a movie at my usual listening level, and went over and listened. I could barely hear it, and what I did hear was just from the sub (it's an SVS PC2000). I think you'd have to be listening for it. I've never had complaints, and I live in a building where people would complain.

That said, some people moved in to that apartment next door, and their system is against the wall that shares with our apartment. When they crank it, it's quite noticeable in our apartment. Enough that I went and talked to them. I had them come over and listen and they were surprised. I asked about my stereo and they said they don't ever notice mine. They don't crank theirs up anymore, and I haven't heard it since.

So... talk to your neighbor. Maybe ask them if you can test your volume to see what's acceptable. They will probably appreciate the offer.
I will talk to him. Thanks for your post. Let me go to BB Magnolia and replace HT5000 order with Def Tech speakers & Denon AVR.

Sony A1E 55" OLED, LG E7P 65" OLED (coming in Oct 2017)
Sony SA-CS9 115W 10" Subwoofer, Sony HT-ST 5000 (coming Oct 2017)
TVFanMTV is online now  
post #37419 of 37439 Old Today, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Walls would have to be really thin and poorly insulated if a midrange and tweeter firing into the wall bothers your neighbors.

It should be a non issue unless you have better super towers like bp7000 or 7001.

Also someone recently brought up that newer line has a 6db drop on rear side of bipolar tower. They talked about the crossover doing this. Which is not true. They are 6db Lower because they only use one driver on back. Also newer lines sound brighter because they have a 4db push from 12khz up. The bp8080 is a little more neutral then say a sm45. Some people would even listen to sm45, sm55 or sm65 and think they are more detailed but the are just poorly designed.

I suggest that when you make a speaker change you do all your eq then just give it a couple weeks. Im sure after a few weeks your ears will be adjusted to the more balanced sound.
Are you saying the SM 45,55,65 are poorly designed? Never heard that one before. They sound pretty good for being "poorly designed".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
pbz06 likes this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #37420 of 37439 Old Today, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFanMTV View Post
but I am worried about backward firing speakers in Def tech towers.

You are worrying too much about the “backward firing” speakers. That shouldn’t be a concern nor should it play into your decision.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Falconsfan71 is online now  
post #37421 of 37439 Old Today, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
You are worrying too much about the “backward firing” speakers. That shouldn’t be a concern nor should it play into your decision.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm not audio engineer but I think bass is the only thing that really travels through walls. The sub is the thing you mostly have to worry about.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #37422 of 37439 Old Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 278
The newer definitive line to me has a poor design. I dont like a speaker that has a uneven distribution of sound. They needed to make a good definitive speaker with upgraded tweeter, mids and crossover. The bp8080 is the only speaker that upgraded amp and sub. But the bp8080 shares same tweets and mids as pm1000, sm45 and so on. Definitive use to put upgraded components as line got more expensive.

Something like definitive sm65 has a lot in common with klipsch now. They tune the speaker to sound more detailed to be used with lower end amp or receiver. To bad at over 100db it sounds like a loud tv speaker.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #37423 of 37439 Old Today, 10:05 AM
Member
 
alfa1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
The newer definitive line to me has a poor design. I dont like a speaker that has a uneven distribution of sound. They needed to make a good definitive speaker with upgraded tweeter, mids and crossover. The bp8080 is the only speaker that upgraded amp and sub. But the bp8080 shares same tweets and mids as pm1000, sm45 and so on. Definitive use to put upgraded components as line got more expensive.

Something like definitive sm65 has a lot in common with klipsch now. They tune the speaker to sound more detailed to be used with lower end amp or receiver. To bad at over 100db it sounds like a loud tv speaker.
I love the 7000 series (I still use BP7006 in my guest room setup) but I think Definitive did upgrade the bass, crossover, midrange drivers, and tweeter in the 9000 series according to the review in Sound & Vision. Have you heard the 9080's? I demoed them recently and thought they sounded fantastic.


Interesting about the SM line - if you look at the Soundstage Loudspeaker measurements (I didn't reproduce them here sorry, but there is a copyright warning on the site so I don't want to get in trouble!) that use the Canadian Govt anechoic chamber for their testing, the SM55 frequency response has some obvious significant deviations between 500h and 1k and between 2k and 5k, far from flat and neutral. But the BP8080 measurements are much more flat and neutal, and chart C (which they say represents the true frequency response of the speakers) is extremely flat, which represents a neutral and balanced sound. If they use the same mids and tweets as the SM series, I wonder why the measure so much better?
pbz06 likes this.
alfa1 is online now  
post #37424 of 37439 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I had 9060. Found a pair used for $600. Flipped them for a profit. They had a similar sound to 7006 but still had a treble push.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #37425 of 37439 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Definitive Owners Thread

I listened to the 9080’s also and they sounded good. I can’t tell any difference though between the 9080 and the 8080. They’re the same size mids and subs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Falconsfan71 is online now  
post #37426 of 37439 Old Today, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
The newer definitive line to me has a poor design. I dont like a speaker that has a uneven distribution of sound. They needed to make a good definitive speaker with upgraded tweeter, mids and crossover. The bp8080 is the only speaker that upgraded amp and sub. But the bp8080 shares same tweets and mids as pm1000, sm45 and so on. Definitive use to put upgraded components as line got more expensive.

Something like definitive sm65 has a lot in common with klipsch now. They tune the speaker to sound more detailed to be used with lower end amp or receiver. To bad at over 100db it sounds like a loud tv speaker.
OK the first thing I will say is over 100 db is wow loud. I'm pretty sure I don't listen at those levels. The second thing is this post right here, this post makes me want to replace the speakers I have with Ascend speakers because this post makes me believe I really don't know what a great audiophile speaker sounds like. I must have no idea because these sound awesome to me. That is not a criticism of Timothy1180 either, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being honest.
eaayoung and pbz06 like this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #37427 of 37439 Old Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 314
About 85db is as loud as I listen to music. That seems pretty loud to me in my house. I turned the towers up to 90db last night out of curiosity and that’s too loud for me!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Falconsfan71 is online now  
post #37428 of 37439 Old Today, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
The newer definitive line to me has a poor design. I dont like a speaker that has a uneven distribution of sound. They needed to make a good definitive speaker with upgraded tweeter, mids and crossover. The bp8080 is the only speaker that upgraded amp and sub. But the bp8080 shares same tweets and mids as pm1000, sm45 and so on. Definitive use to put upgraded components as line got more expensive.

Something like definitive sm65 has a lot in common with klipsch now. They tune the speaker to sound more detailed to be used with lower end amp or receiver. To bad at over 100db it sounds like a loud tv speaker.
Well that explains several things. What you like or what you expect not being aligned with what DefTech delivers (consistent quality across all their models and conscientious design decisions for home users) does not mean poor design.

Clearly, if you want to pump 400 watts per channel and listen at over 100dB then maybe look at other line of speakers or qualify your opinions accordingly.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is online now  
post #37429 of 37439 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a good night. I am curious about the radiators that dt uses. Don't use a speaker currently that has one. I would assume that bass comes out of the radiators some but mainly the woofer on the other side? Would putting the side with a radiator close to a side wall be a bad idea? I am assuming they need room to breath. I run my surrounds Bp30s north/south against side walls. If I would go to something like the 7000s or 8000s the radiators would be really close to the side wall. Bad idea.
keeper is online now  
post #37430 of 37439 Old Today, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo "ish"
Posts: 2,920
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
OK the first thing I will say is over 100 db is wow loud. I'm pretty sure I don't listen at those levels. The second thing is this post right here, this post makes me want to replace the speakers I have with Ascend speakers because this post makes me believe I really don't know what a great audiophile speaker sounds like. I must have no idea because these sound awesome to me. That is not a criticism of Timothy1180 either, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being honest.
First off, even 85db is loud, everyone should simply listen at a level they are comfortable with no matter what it is.
Second, Audiophile Schmaudiophile, this term is bounced around way too much and was created so that audio snobs could try and distinguish themselves from what "they" considered to be unlearned casual listeners.
While you can train your brain to listen for certain qualities in sound, you are still going to hear things different from anyone else, and YOUR personal taste, is YOUR personal taste.
Ascend makes a High quality loudspeaker that is designed to be very neutral, therefore inherently have a fairly flat measured response, DefTech's aren't, while the quality of some of the components may be different throughout the years, I personally think "their"sound is still there, and if you like their sound, you like their sound, plain and simple.
For me, when I sit in my threats, I'm happy with the sound, and that's all that matters to me.
eaayoung likes this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #37431 of 37439 Old Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo "ish"
Posts: 2,920
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a good night. I am curious about the radiators that dt uses. Don't use a speaker currently that has one. I would assume that bass comes out of the radiators some but mainly the woofer on the other side? Would putting the side with a radiator close to a side wall be a bad idea? I am assuming they need room to breath. I run my surrounds Bp30s north/south against side walls. If I would go to something like the 7000s or 8000s the radiators would be really close to the side wall. Bad idea.
A bass radiator is nothing more than a large tuned port, you would treat it as such.
In most cases 3-6" would be considered minimum clearance distance. Anything less than that wouldn't necessarily destroy the sound, but it probably would have an effect on it in some way.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html

Last edited by ALtlOff; Today at 03:57 PM.
ALtlOff is offline  
post #37432 of 37439 Old Today, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
About 85db is as loud as I listen to music. That seems pretty loud to me in my house. I turned the towers up to 90db last night out of curiosity and that’s too loud for me!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wimp! Lol. I have a v1801 right behind my seat. Watched some horror movies last night for the mood of the season. I have to admit the jump scares with a vnf sub adds a new dimension. You see sooner or later you forget the sub is there and then it scares the **** out of you.
keeper is online now  
post #37433 of 37439 Old Today, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
A bass radiator is nothing more than a large tuned port, you would treat it as such.
In most cases 3-6" would be considered minimum clearance distance.
Thanks buddy. I guess you don't have to worry about those radiators with your bp2000s. If I remember correctly you have your surrounds n/s also.
keeper is online now  
post #37434 of 37439 Old Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALtlOff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: St. Louis Mo "ish"
Posts: 2,920
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Thanks buddy. I guess you don't have to worry about those radiators with your bp2000s. If I remember correctly you have your surrounds n/s also.
The original 2000's don't have them, so no worries for me at all.

Oh, edited my other post a little.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
ALtlOff is offline  
post #37435 of 37439 Old Today, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
The original 2000's don't have them, so no worries for me at all.

Oh, edited my other post a little.
Yes saw that. Thanks for the info. My Bp3000s don't have them either.
keeper is online now  
post #37436 of 37439 Old Today, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Falconsfan71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Well I like Def Techs. I’m no expert and haven’t heard many other speakers. I heard a pair of B&W bookshelves that sounded pretty detailed. But there’s different things I’ve liked and enjoyed about all the Def Techs I’ve owned thus far. The 600’s, the 800’s, the SM45’s, and now the 8080’s. Their subs is a different story...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
Falconsfan71 is online now  
post #37437 of 37439 Old Today, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,320
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Technically reference for regular speakers is peak 105db. Subs are 115db. That is reference though.

Every one has their own preference and taste which is great. If I cant comfortably listen to a speaker at 100-105db it?s not going to get high remarks from me. I will not apologize for that.

I really am just trying to help people out from the experience that I have. About 15 years ago I went through a bunch of speakers. All the typical brands Polk, klipsch, infinity, Boston, energy, jbl and Im sure im missing a few. I found definitive and was sold!!!

Something else happened as well. In 2010 I heard some canton karat speakers and I was blown away. Then continued to try higher end speakers. Martin Logan, Salk, canton, Bowers, paradigm, ascend, jtr, Wilson, CAT, and I?m sure a few more. I began to pick up certain ideas of what I like best. Also subs are very important! Ive had svs, deep sea, Psa, rythmik, jtr, seaton hsu, epik, elemental, and more.

After trying last year to move to all the bp8080 line I just realized they weren?t my thing. Not saying they are horrible or junk. Just not my thing. Ill say this about bp8080 though is they are not as good as bp7001 or bp7000 but they are closer to them then the others. For example clr3000 is so much better then cs8080. Also bpvx are way better then sr8080.

If I built a new definitive setup I would do bp8080 for mains. Cs8080 for Center. Sm65 for all my surrounds. Probably would sound decent for movies at 100db and below.
Falconsfan71 likes this.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #37438 of 37439 Old Today, 05:18 PM
Member
 
j4894's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question in regards to what you just posted, if I buy a sub that has measurements below 115db in reviews does that mean playing at reference volume would damage it?
j4894 is offline  
post #37439 of 37439 Old Today, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Every one has their own preference and taste which is great. If I cant comfortably listen to a speaker at 100-105db it?s not going to get high remarks from me. I will not apologize for that.
With that statement, I'm wondering how well you actually hear. 85db or higher will damage your hearing. Protect your hearing. Once it's gone it's gone. I wish I could get my hearing back. With that said, with my fried ears, my Def Techs sound good.
eaayoung is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off