Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1248 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 757Likes

post #37411 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFanMTV View Post
Thanks for your response. Is your TV & floor towers kept along the wall that you share with your neighbor ?
I don't have Def Tech towers, I have Studio speakers for all 5 channels. The front SM 65 LCR are not near a wall I share with neighbors. Same thing with the SVS PB-1000. It's on the same wall that is not shared with a neighbor. The SM 55 surrounds are on a wall shared with a neighbor. The sub I worry about with my neighbor downstairs but no complaints than goodness. My entire condo is carpeted except of course the kitchen and bathroom.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37412 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I don't have Def Tech towers, I have Studio speakers for all 5 channels. The front SM 65 LCR are not near a wall I share with neighbors. Same thing with the SVS PB-1000. It's on the same wall that is not shared with a neighbor. The SM 55 surrounds are on a wall shared with a neighbor. The sub I worry about with my neighbor downstairs but no complaints than goodness. My entire condo is carpeted except of course the kitchen and bathroom.

Hmm my apartment is also entirely carpeted except of Kitchen and bathroom. But I have my TV unfortunately along the wall with my neighbor. & the towers would go besides it. Def Tech towers are bipolar so they will also fire sound in backward direction hence I am worried.

I already have a 10" 115 W Sony Sub along the wall I share with my neighbor and that has never caused any problems once I adjusted the bass to a level at which it does not disturb my neighbor. But I am concerned about rear direction sound from Tower speakers.

Sony A1E 55" OLED, LG E7P 65" OLED (coming in Oct 2017)
Sony SA-CS9 115W 10" Subwoofer, Sony HT-ST 5000 (coming Oct 2017)
post #37413 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm my apartment is also entirely carpeted except of Kitchen and bathroom. But I have my TV unfortunately along the wall with my neighbor. & the towers would go besides it. Def Tech towers are bipolar so they will also fire sound in backward direction hence I am worried.

I already have a 10" 115 W Sony Sub along the wall I share with my neighbor and that has never caused any problems once I adjusted the bass to a level at which it does not disturb my neighbor. But I am concerned about rear direction sound from Tower speakers.
Not really sure. I think apartments are different from condos. Tough question. I guess try it and see. Maybe talk to your neighbors?

TVFanMTV likes this.

post #37414 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Tough call. I live in a corner unit, with only 1 wall shared with another unit. The "shared" walls in our building aren't actually shared and have an air gap between the walls for extra sound proofing. We also have concrete floors/ceilings. It's a pretty quiet building. My setup is along a wall in the middle of the apartment, and I frequently watch content near reference level and listen to music quite loud as well.

When the apartment next to us was vacant last year, the building manager must have accidentally left the door open after a tour, and the door was ajar. I took the opportunity to put on a movie at my usual listening level, and went over and listened. I could barely hear it, and what I did hear was just from the sub (it's an SVS PC2000). I think you'd have to be listening for it. I've never had complaints, and I live in a building where people would complain.

That said, some people moved in to that apartment next door, and their system is against the wall that shares with our apartment. When they crank it, it's quite noticeable in our apartment. Enough that I went and talked to them. I had them come over and listen and they were surprised. I asked about my stereo and they said they don't ever notice mine. They don't crank theirs up anymore, and I haven't heard it since.

So... talk to your neighbor. Maybe ask them if you can test your volume to see what's acceptable. They will probably appreciate the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Not really sure. I think apartments are different from condos. Tough question. I guess try it and see. Maybe talk to your neighbors?
The difference between a condo and an apartment is ownership. They can have the exact same physical characteristics.
progprog and TVFanMTV like this.

--
Living Room Home Theater Pic
Denon AVR-X4300H, Speakers: R/L: Def Tech BP6P, C: Def Tech CLR 2002, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's
Sub: SVS PC-2000, TV: Vizio P65, Media Console: BDI Corridor 8173
Misc: TiVo, Apple TV 4K, PS4, Mac mini w/ Plex, Harmony One Remote
post #37415 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Walls would have to be really thin and poorly insulated if a midrange and tweeter firing into the wall bothers your neighbors.

It should be a non issue unless you have better super towers like bp7000 or 7001.

Also someone recently brought up that newer line has a 6db drop on rear side of bipolar tower. They talked about the crossover doing this. Which is not true. They are 6db Lower because they only use one driver on back. Also newer lines sound brighter because they have a 4db push from 12khz up. The bp8080 is a little more neutral then say a sm45. Some people would even listen to sm45, sm55 or sm65 and think they are more detailed but the are just poorly designed.

I suggest that when you make a speaker change you do all your eq then just give it a couple weeks. Im sure after a few weeks your ears will be adjusted to the more balanced sound.
TVFanMTV likes this.
post #37416 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
So... talk to your neighbor. Maybe ask them if you can test your volume to see what's acceptable. They will probably appreciate the offer.
Great idea.
post #37417 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Walls would have to be really thin and poorly insulated if a midrange and tweeter firing into the wall bothers your neighbors.

It should be a non issue unless you have better super towers like bp7000 or 7001.

Also someone recently brought up that newer line has a 6db drop on rear side of bipolar tower. They talked about the crossover doing this. Which is not true. They are 6db Lower because they only use one driver on back. Also newer lines sound brighter because they have a 4db push from 12khz up. The bp8080 is a little more neutral then say a sm45. Some people would even listen to sm45, sm55 or sm65 and think they are more detailed but the are just poorly designed.

I suggest that when you make a speaker change you do all your eq then just give it a couple weeks. Im sure after a few weeks your ears will be adjusted to the more balanced sound.

Timothy I am getting a new LG E7 TV and with that I have a choice of getting Sony HT5000 (I have it on order currently) or two Def Tech BP-9020ST tower speakers, a CS-9040HD center-channel speaker and Denon Reciever (which is what I am thinking to get instead of a soundbar). Since I was buying 9020ST which have bipolar speakers I was concerned. I already have Sony 115 Watt 10" Subwoofer whose bass I have adjusted so that it does not disturb the neighbor and he is ok with that level.

Some have pointed I can do the same for bass in 8" Subwoofer in the floor towers and I think I can do that but I am worried about backward firing speakers in Def tech towers.

post #37418 of 37424 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
Tough call. I live in a corner unit, with only 1 wall shared with another unit. The "shared" walls in our building aren't actually shared and have an air gap between the walls for extra sound proofing. We also have concrete floors/ceilings. It's a pretty quiet building. My setup is along a wall in the middle of the apartment, and I frequently watch content near reference level and listen to music quite loud as well.

When the apartment next to us was vacant last year, the building manager must have accidentally left the door open after a tour, and the door was ajar. I took the opportunity to put on a movie at my usual listening level, and went over and listened. I could barely hear it, and what I did hear was just from the sub (it's an SVS PC2000). I think you'd have to be listening for it. I've never had complaints, and I live in a building where people would complain.

That said, some people moved in to that apartment next door, and their system is against the wall that shares with our apartment. When they crank it, it's quite noticeable in our apartment. Enough that I went and talked to them. I had them come over and listen and they were surprised. I asked about my stereo and they said they don't ever notice mine. They don't crank theirs up anymore, and I haven't heard it since.

I will talk to him. Thanks for your post. Let me go to BB Magnolia and replace HT5000 order with Def Tech speakers & Denon AVR.

post #37419 of 37424 Old Today, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying the SM 45,55,65 are poorly designed? Never heard that one before. They sound pretty good for being "poorly designed".

pbz06 likes this.
post #37420 of 37424 Old Today, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
but I am worried about backward firing speakers in Def tech towers.

You are worrying too much about the “backward firing” speakers. That shouldn’t be a concern nor should it play into your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech ProCenter 2000 * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit *
post #37421 of 37424 Old Today, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
You are worrying too much about the “backward firing” speakers. That shouldn’t be a concern nor should it play into your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm not audio engineer but I think bass is the only thing that really travels through walls. The sub is the thing you mostly have to worry about.

post #37422 of 37424 Old Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The newer definitive line to me has a poor design. I dont like a speaker that has a uneven distribution of sound. They needed to make a good definitive speaker with upgraded tweeter, mids and crossover. The bp8080 is the only speaker that upgraded amp and sub. But the bp8080 shares same tweets and mids as pm1000, sm45 and so on. Definitive use to put upgraded components as line got more expensive.

Something like definitive sm65 has a lot in common with klipsch now. They tune the speaker to sound more detailed to be used with lower end amp or receiver. To bad at over 100db it sounds like a loud tv speaker.
post #37423 of 37424 Old Today, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
The newer definitive line to me has a poor design. I dont like a speaker that has a uneven distribution of sound. They needed to make a good definitive speaker with upgraded tweeter, mids and crossover. The bp8080 is the only speaker that upgraded amp and sub. But the bp8080 shares same tweets and mids as pm1000, sm45 and so on. Definitive use to put upgraded components as line got more expensive.

Something like definitive sm65 has a lot in common with klipsch now. They tune the speaker to sound more detailed to be used with lower end amp or receiver. To bad at over 100db it sounds like a loud tv speaker.
I love the 7000 series (I still use BP7006 in my guest room setup) but I think Definitive did upgrade the bass, crossover, midrange drivers, and tweeter in the 9000 series according to the review in Sound & Vision. Have you heard the 9080's? I demoed them recently and thought they sounded fantastic.

Interesting about the SM line - if you look at the Soundstage Loudspeaker measurements (I didn't reproduce them here sorry, but there is a copyright warning on the site so I don't want to get in trouble!) that use the Canadian Govt anechoic chamber for their testing, the SM55 frequency response has some obvious significant deviations between 500h and 1k and between 2k and 5k, far from flat and neutral. But the BP8080 measurements are much more flat and neutal, and chart C (which they say represents the true frequency response of the speakers) is extremely flat, which represents a neutral and balanced sound. If they use the same mids and tweets as the SM series, I wonder why the measure so much better?
pbz06 likes this.
post #37424 of 37424 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had 9060. Found a pair used for $600. Flipped them for a profit. They had a similar sound to 7006 but still had a treble push.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page