Definitive Owners Thread - Page 1249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 760Likes

post #37441 of 37445 Old Today, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Every one has their own preference and taste which is great. If I cant comfortably listen to a speaker at 100-105db it?s not going to get high remarks from me. I will not apologize for that.
With that statement, I'm wondering how well you actually hear. 85db or higher will damage your hearing. Protect your hearing. Once it's gone it's gone. I wish I could get my hearing back. With that said, with my fried ears, my Def Techs sound good.
My hearing is perfect. Just had my annual test.

85db???? Busy restaurant is louder then that. Im sure playing at extreme levels for extended times is dangerous.

I even asked my otolaryngologist last July. She said I can damage my ears with my stereo if I play at over 115db with mid to higher frequencies. With lower frequencies like subwoofers produce there isnt a lot of data that says what can damage my ears. She said I should keep it to whats comfortable to me and not exceed 130db. Really she guessed with that number. Could be higher or lower.

Still does surprise me when people think 85-90db is loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37442 of 37445 Old Today, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 75
From NIOSH and the CDC:

With all due respect, I think you need better medical advice, Timothy. Those levels, whether you enjoy them or not, are dangerous. It WILL damage your hearing. And as mentioned earlier, once it's gone, it's gone.
post #37443 of 37445 Old Today, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Timothy: I'm sorry if I came off as rude. I certainly didn't mean it that way. I'm in my early sixties and my hearing started to decline in my 40's. The damage is at the level of speech. It's likely due to loud music from various hifi systems, lots of concerts, hunting as kid without ear protection and being around loud explosions on military bases without hearing protection. Probably all contributed to my hearing loss. I spend my work days in courtrooms, attending depositions or hearings. To understand what's being said, I have to wear two hearing aides. I hate wearing them since there uncomfortable, irritating to wear and not a great substitute to being able to hear. But I couldn't work without them. I also have tinnitus. For me, its like a high pitched muffled buzzing sound. Almost like the sound of a refrigerator running but a lot louder. Sometimes it get loud enough to keep me awake at night. I wish I'd been smarter about my hearing to when I was younger. Live and learn I guess. Protect your hearing. The alternative is not good.

Sorry to go off topic.

Last edited by eaayoung; Today at 09:39 PM.

post #37444 of 37445 Old Today, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This seems to come up frequently. Those db levels are a constant noise that doesnt go away. Many people dont understand how that works.

I would never listen to a constant 115db for any longer than 1-2 seconds. Also certain frequencies arent as damaging to your ears either. My ent is top notch and I trust her opinion. My hearing at almost 40 is almost the same as it was when I was 18.

Im also talking about db c weighted spl levels not db a weighted. Which many avs members have little knowledge about. OSHA and many others use a dba level not dbc level to limit sound exposure. If I measured dba at 115db that would be ridiculous and ear damaging!! Also why would anyone ever measure speakers that way? 500-10khz is not a good representation of how loud a speaker goes. Dbc measurement are 30-10khz. Unless you have a better mic then you can even pick up a greater bandwidth.

Reason why they use a weighted is they dont believe low frequencies damage hearing. Reason why is that our ears naturally block low frequencies from damaging us.

Just wish people would do a little more research on the right thing instead of trying to preach the same hyperbole.

I do appreciate the concern though and I love this hobby. I wont risk my ears for it though!

Last edited by Timothy1180; Today at 09:52 PM.
post #37445 of 37445 Old Today, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Timothy: I'm sorry if I came off as rude. I certainly didn't mean it that way. I'm in my sixties and my hearing started to decline in my 40's. The damage is at the level of speech. It's likely due to loud music via various hifi systems, lots of concerts, hunting as kid without ear protection and being around loud explosions on military bases without hearing protection. Probably all contributed to my hearing loss. I spend my work days in courtrooms, attending depositions or hearings. To understand what's being said, I have to wear two hearing aides. I hate wearing them since their uncomfortable and irritating to wear. But I couldn't work without them. I also have tinnitus. For me, its like a muffled buzzing sound almost like what you hear with a refrigerator running. But sometimes it get loud enough to keep me awake at night. I wish I'd been smarter about my hearing to when I was younger. Live and learn I guess. Protect your hearing.

Sorry to go off topic.
No problem at all. In the near future I bet your hearing will get better with all the amazing things they are doing.

I have cousin that was born completely deaf and now with implants he can hear our conversations! Very amazing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page