post #542 of 31794 Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOBX View Post

Just upgraded my system today.....7004s (Mains) and a CLR 2002 (Center)....Sounds are fantastic! One question - should I install the feet on the 2002 (it sits on a glass shelf under the plasma), I have heard that installing them can cause rips in the fabric past the install area?

If you're talking about the adjustable legs on the front bottom, I would go ahead and use them. You should have no problem of damaging the fabric sock.

Scott
post #543 of 31794 Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khellandros66 View Post

DigitalOBX,

Just go to your local Walmart or something and ask for small furniture feet about 1/2in diameter and they can be placed on the end caps od the speaker so the fabric will be ok.

~Bob

The problem with doing that is you get sticky stuff on the end caps, and transfer most of the speakers weight to the end caps instead of where it should be more centrally located where the factory legs go. I would avoid this scenario. Using the factory legs is fine and will not damage anything. Plus, you get the added ability to adjust height and direction becase the legs adjust. In the event the socks ever fail, Def Tech will send replacements free anyway.

Scott
post #544 of 31794 Old 06-28-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOBX View Post

Just upgraded my system today.....7004s (Mains) and a CLR 2002 (Center)....Sounds are fantastic! One question - should I install the feet on the 2002 (it sits on a glass shelf under the plasma), I have heard that installing them can cause rips in the fabric past the install area?

I installed the legs on my CLR 2300 and there weren't any issues. I just used a hammer and tapped them into the holes. You shouldn't encounter any issues with the fabric tearing.

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
post #545 of 31794 Old 06-28-2006, 09:18 AM

Thanks again for the responses.....I was not going to use any type of adhesive (sticky stuff -don't want to mar these fine speakers)....if DefTech ensures replacement if damage occurs I will use the supplied feet....

Rick -
On the Beach
post #546 of 31794 Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 PM

I tried searching this thread.. But couldn't find an answer.. Can someone tell me whether either the Mythos 1s or 4s have just 2 binding posts or 4 (typically for bi-amping or biwiring)?
post #547 of 31794 Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrain View Post

I tried searching this thread.. But couldn't find an answer.. Can someone tell me whether either the Mythos 1s or 4s have just 2 binding posts or 4 (typically for bi-amping or biwiring)?

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...hos_tower.html

Pic shows one.
post #548 of 31794 Old 06-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...hos_tower.html

Pic shows one.

LOL.. missed that one.. went over their site trying to find pictures in the gallery and/or an instruction manual..

So, that answered, is there any simple adapter that can take 2 speaker wires and connect to just one that would go into the speaker itself?
post #549 of 31794 Old 07-01-2006, 09:06 PM

hey guys quick question , i have a pair of 7002 towers, and a supercube I, all have lfe outs, i have a pioneer elite receiver 74txvi with one lfe out. im wondering if its possible to use all 3 lfe outs. would i use a splitter into another splitter?? and run 3 subwoofer cables out of them?? would i lose power to all 3 speakers doing this? if anyone has a solution or has tried doing this let me know, maybe i need an amp?

brandonc
post #550 of 31794 Old 07-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonc View Post

hey guys quick question , i have a pair of 7002 towers, and a supercube I, all have lfe outs, i have a pioneer elite receiver 74txvi with one lfe out. im wondering if its possible to use all 3 lfe outs. would i use a splitter into another splitter?? and run 3 subwoofer cables out of them?? would i lose power to all 3 speakers doing this? if anyone has a solution or has tried doing this let me know, maybe i need an amp?

brandonc

I have used two hardware "T" type of splitters piggybacked together which provides three LFE outs -- one going to each LFE input on my towers and one going to a dedicated sub and it worked great. However, compared to using the setup in my pre/pro and adding the LFE to the regular speaker connections instad of using the LFE inputs, I did not notice any improvement in doing that.

Currently I have three dedicated subs and am using a Velodyne SMS-1 parameteric equalizer to feed all three from one LFE output from my pre/pro and that produced FANTASTIC results in stronger and cleaner subwoofer response by watching the display on the screen in real time as I tweaked the phase and gain and slight placement differences of all three subs.

It will not cost you much to give the method about which you had a question a try, but doubt you will find any difference in the LFE produced by your towers -- providing that you can send the .1 LFE to your towers via the regular speaker wires in your receiver's setup menus.

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #551 of 31794 Old 07-01-2006, 11:45 PM

Hello - long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a new Def Tech owner as of earlier this week. I just replaced my current 8-yr-old speaker array with the following:

- L/R: BP7002's
- C: C/L/R 2300
- Surr: BP2X's

Like someone else that posted earlier, the couch that is the prime listening area in my room is up against the rear wall, and I don't have viable side walls for mounting the BP2X's, so they will have to go on the rear wall. This is my first hands-on experience with bipolars, so I'm feeling my way through this at the moment. My question is - do you think I would get a better rear soundfield by placing the speakers lower (about head level) or should I mount them higher towards the ceiling? I've uploaded 2 pics of the rear of the room (one L and one R) that can be checked out in the Photo Gallery. Just search on my username - they're the only two pics there from me (I just found out I can't post URL's until I've posted 5 times).

From a strictly logistical point of view, I'd like to mount them higher up, so that the tops are even with the top of the window that is behind the couch. I can then move the pictures down slightly, and that ends up being the least invasive setup, but I'm not going to ruin the sound in favor of it if it's going to be a big deal. I mean, I do have my priorities in order...

Any comments? If it matters, I use my system about 50/50 for movies and music. I have a couple of DVD-Audio discs and some concert DVD's that get quite a bit of use as well.

Thanks in advance...
Snoogins
post #552 of 31794 Old 07-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogins View Post

Hello - long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a new Def Tech owner as of earlier this week. I just replaced my current 8-yr-old speaker array with the following:

- L/R: BP7002's
- C: C/L/R 2300
- Surr: BP2X's

Like someone else that posted earlier, the couch that is the prime listening area in my room is up against the rear wall, and I don't have viable side walls for mounting the BP2X's, so they will have to go on the rear wall. This is my first hands-on experience with bipolars, so I'm feeling my way through this at the moment. My question is - do you think I would get a better rear soundfield by placing the speakers lower (about head level) or should I mount them higher towards the ceiling? I've uploaded 2 pics of the rear of the room (one L and one R) that can be checked out in the Photo Gallery. Just search on my username - they're the only two pics there from me (I just found out I can't post URL's until I've posted 5 times).

From a strictly logistical point of view, I'd like to mount them higher up, so that the tops are even with the top of the window that is behind the couch. I can then move the pictures down slightly, and that ends up being the least invasive setup, but I'm not going to ruin the sound in favor of it if it's going to be a big deal. I mean, I do have my priorities in order...

Any comments? If it matters, I use my system about 50/50 for movies and music. I have a couple of DVD-Audio discs and some concert DVD's that get quite a bit of use as well.

Thanks in advance...
Snoogins

Methinks that you would, in the long run, behappier with the CLR2500 as a better match for your 7002's if it is not too late to swap and you didn't mind paying a few extra dollars.

Regarding your rears -- currently I am in the same boat until my new HT room is finished, except that I have side surrounds doing their job too, but my couch is against the wall and my rears are above the couch which really add little. I have wondered how, in such a circumstance, it would sound IF the BP2X's were mounted horizontally instead of vertically -- just a thought. (My BPVX/P's are too heavy to try out in that manner -- at least, I am too lazy to figure out a mounting to try it since they are temporary in their present location above my couch).

ALSO, the 5.1 surrounds really should be beside the listening position and not behind it (the ones behind the listening position are for 6.1 or 7.1) -- might it be possible to place your BPX2's on stands beside the listening position???

MkeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #553 of 31794 Old 07-02-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

They will most likely look better up high, but heh, you've got "priorities." I would guess they would sound better lower.

Scott
post #554 of 31794 Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

This seems like an appropriate thread to post this...

I've got a mint condition C/L/R 2300 w/ cherry endcaps for sale. Specs are here...
I paid $550 and am looking to sell for $375. I've got the original packaging and manuals/accessories and I'd be happy to split shipping. Attached are a few pics.

PM if interested.

J.
LL
LL
LL

Custom Built For The Win!
post #555 of 31794 Old 07-06-2006, 06:15 AM

I have been using DefTech ProCinema 80s as both fronts and rear surrounds for several years now and have been very pleased with the overall sound (also using ProCinema 100 center and ProSub 200). I am now considering upgrading to 7.1 from the current 5.1, and am wondering if it's better to add another pair of ProCinema 80s as the side surrounds (using the existing pair of 80s as rears) or to go with bipolars for the sides, and if so, which ones from DefTech? Thanks for any suggestions.....
post #556 of 31794 Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You could also add two ProMonitor 100s up front and rotate your current ProMonitor 80s around to the back.
post #557 of 31794 Old 07-06-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

This seems like an appropriate thread to post this...

I've got a mint condition C/L/R 2300 w/ cherry endcaps for sale. Specs are here...
I paid $550 and am looking to sell for $375. I've got the original packaging and manuals/accessories and I'd be happy to split shipping. Attached are a few pics.

PM if interested.

J.

Actually, this would be the appropriate place

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=127

Scott
post #558 of 31794 Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 PM

Finally had a chance to hook things up (at least most of the setup -- 7002 fronts, 2300 center, bp2x surrounds). Wow.

Due to a strange layout in the room, the best place for the rear surrounds is in the ceiling. The room is 12.5 x 24 and unfortunately has no wall space to mount anything in the rear 1/4 of the room (french doors, stairs, 2 doors). This sort of "evolved" as the basement was built out.

We had originally bought 4 of the BP2X speakers for surround and rear surround. Is there any way to ceiling mount these speakers? The side surrounds just hang on the keyhole, no problem -- but for the rears is there any way to add a mount to them? Obviously they aren't quite designed for this, but can it be done?

My husband has suggested a solution that involves screwing an l-bracket plate to each end of the speaker and flush mounting it. I'm thinking we may be trading them in on some other option (although I love the sound!) instead of ruining something! Id' like to keep them, but I'm hoping that you all can tell me if we're insane.

Any options? Or should we be shopping for something else? Thanks!
post #559 of 31794 Old 07-07-2006, 06:49 AM

Here's what I did based on a recommendation from definitive tech support. It sounds scary, but worked out great.

What I did was remove the speakers from the bpx2 cabinet and pre drill a small hole slight of center and in the middle widthwise. I then used a lag bolt and a large metal washer on the inside to screw the speaker directly into the ceiling joist. I then caulked around the washer. By being slightly off center I was able to have the speaker wire come through the drywall and right into the speaker. Basically the speaker is completely flush mounted with no wires showing. I have the ported side aiming at the listening position and the other side aiming at the back wall which is roughly 24" away. I can post a pic if that will help. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phouka View Post

Finally had a chance to hook things up (at least most of the setup -- 7002 fronts, 2300 center, bp2x surrounds). Wow.

Due to a strange layout in the room, the best place for the rear surrounds is in the ceiling. The room is 12.5 x 24 and unfortunately has no wall space to mount anything in the rear 1/4 of the room (french doors, stairs, 2 doors). This sort of "evolved" as the basement was built out.

We had originally bought 4 of the BP2X speakers for surround and rear surround. Is there any way to ceiling mount these speakers? The side surrounds just hang on the keyhole, no problem -- but for the rears is there any way to add a mount to them? Obviously they aren't quite designed for this, but can it be done?

My husband has suggested a solution that involves screwing an l-bracket plate to each end of the speaker and flush mounting it. I'm thinking we may be trading them in on some other option (although I love the sound!) instead of ruining something! Id' like to keep them, but I'm hoping that you all can tell me if we're insane.

Any options? Or should we be shopping for something else? Thanks!

post #560 of 31794 Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 AM

I have 7002 fronts, BP2X sides, CLR2500 center, and rear ceiling def tech and Yamaha RXV2600 receiver.

The 7002s had a wider soundstage than similar sized klipsch(500 each cheaper!) but klipsch delivered a brighter intense music sound. I went w/ def tech for movies.

My question is what settings/placement is recommended to enhance music? I like clarity, bright clear sound w/ enhanced highs. I have the sep LFE setup. I read various posts of large/small settings etc..but am not knowledgeable about home theater.

My room is an open room 16x50 but main home theater area is 16x20.

Evidently w/ that particular receiver has equalizer type adjustments for the speakers but i'm not sure how.

My advice to other shoppers would be to get a great center channel for movies since that seems to be most of the sound. Are there other settings that shift some of the center channel duties to the 7002s as well?
post #561 of 31794 Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Folks,
I recently purchased the studio monitors (SM350)
Also purchased the stands available from definitive. How do I go about screwing the speakers to the top plate. I dont see any screw holes under the speaker?

Thanks
post #562 of 31794 Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I used a sheet of velcro the size of the stands top plate. Then just sit the speaker on it and whalla.

~Bob
post #563 of 31794 Old 07-07-2006, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by khellandros66 View Post

I used a sheet of velcro the size of the stands top plate. Then just sit the speaker on it and whalla.

~Bob

Thing is, the installation manual for the stand indicates that the base of the speaker can be screwed in. I see plastic supports at the bottom (one on each corner) of the speaker. The screw holes on the top plate appear to align with the plastic supports. Somehow need to figure out how to remove the plastic supports
post #564 of 31794 Old 07-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Need to purchase a set of rears to go with the Mythos Solo L/C/R speaker. While I understand the Mythos Gems would be the ideal choice for this purchase, I was curious if going with the ProCinema 80's or 100's would jeapordize performance too drastically. The price difference is rather significant (for me right now at least), especially when factoring in the stands.

I've been told to try to keep all speakers in a surround setup native to one manufacturer when possible, which I'd be doing, but not native to the one family. I'm a novice at best and was wondering how drastic a difference this decision will make. Figure I could always add the Gems down the road when I have more cash and go 7.1. Any comments/suggestions appreciated as always fellas.
post #565 of 31794 Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can Mythos Ones be mounted on wall? I liked them at my dealer and they were on stands.

Thanks!
post #566 of 31794 Old 07-08-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No th e towers cannot be wall mounted afaik

You can however take a look at then closer at your dealer or perhaps they know.

~Bob
post #567 of 31794 Old 07-09-2006, 02:39 AM

I have the BP10's as mains w/ a CLR 2002 center. I use a svs pci 20-39 sub and a couple of old htib surround speakers. What would be a good match for a set of new surround speakers? Are bi-polar surround speakers that much better? I would think that bi-polar technology would be most effective in the surround position. I have been looking at the bpx or bpx2 series. What are your thoughts?
post #568 of 31794 Old 07-09-2006, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not asking for anyone to quote me prices on any speakers, however I would like to know from you guys (who have obviously purchased Def Tech's) whether their speakers can be had for any sort of discount? As an example, with Bose speakers (not discussing their quality or lack of here), Bose strictly controls the pricing. No store puts them on sale unless Bose says ok, and when they go on sale, every dealer discounts them the same amount. Most other speaker brands do not have "unilateral" pricing like Bose, at least as far as I know.

I am interested in some in-wall Def Tech's. There are only a few dealers in my home state and I'm not aware if you can purchase Def Tech's online.

So, my simple, but rather long-winded question is, will I be forced to pay full price for Def Tech's, or does your expeirence prove that the price is negotiable?'

Thanks!!
post #569 of 31794 Old 07-09-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman126 View Post

I have the BP10's as mains w/ a CLR 2002 center. I use a svs pci 20-39 sub and a couple of old htib surround speakers. What would be a good match for a set of new surround speakers? Are bi-polar surround speakers that much better? I would think that bi-polar technology would be most effective in the surround position. I have been looking at the bpx or bpx2 series. What are your thoughts?

Due to the constraints of my listening room, I have my rears in my 5.1 setup directly behind the couch on the wall, about 9' up and about 12' apart. I, too, have BP10b fronts, and I have a CLR 2300 center and SuperCube II. For surrounds, I can tell you that the BPX are fantastic, even in the position that I have them. They're a great compliment to the entire system, and miles ahead of the direct-radiating rear surrounds that I had before. I agree that the bi-polars would probably shine most in the surround position of a 7.1 setup, but if you ever decide to go that route then you could just move your BPX or BPX2's over to the new position. However, I think you'll be extremely pleased with the bipolar rears. My BPX's mimic the BP10b's wider soundstage, but with enough accuracy for front/back or left/right pans that it doesn't sound muffled.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #570 of 31794 Old 07-09-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Due to the constraints of my listening room, I have my rears in my 5.1 setup directly behind the couch on the wall, about 9' up and about 12' apart. I, too, have BP10b fronts, and I have a CLR 2300 center and SuperCube II. For surrounds, I can tell you that the BPX are fantastic, even in the position that I have them. They're a great compliment to the entire system, and miles ahead of the direct-radiating rear surrounds that I had before. I agree that the bi-polars would probably shine most in the surround position of a 7.1 setup, but if you ever decide to go that route then you could just move your BPX or BPX2's over to the new position. However, I think you'll be extremely pleased with the bipolar rears. My BPX's mimic the BP10b's wider soundstage, but with enough accuracy for front/back or left/right pans that it doesn't sound muffled.

I have a very similar setup. My mains are the 2002tl's along with an svs sub. I agree that bpx would work very well in your situation.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page