post #901 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUPYSNB View Post

I am setting up my first HT setup and I am in dire need of a recommendation. I have a room that is 18 x 30 x 9 with the left side of my 18x30 room opened to a Kitchen and Breakfast area. My wife says I can buy whatever I want as long as the speakers are in-walls. I have read every post in this forum thread and have decided to go with Def Tech. I heard the old UIW's and liked them and was wondering what the best setup would be given the recent technology advancements.

In short, I want to know what would the "Masters" of this forum recommend for speakers, subs, receivers wiring etc...

I have less than 2 months to acquire all the equipment and have it ready before the wifes Home extension project is completed. I appreciate any recommendations you all can provide. I forgot to mention as part of this project I will be purchasing the new 1080p commerical plasma from Panasonic. If the wife can get an extension, I can get a HT....

Thats a big nice-sized room. If you want Def Tech's highest performance cost no object inwall solution, I would recommend three UIW RLS IIs across the front for a seamless huge soundstage, and then depending on your room, 2-4 UIW75 "Reference"s for the surround sound. Will she allow you to tuck away a subwoofer in the corner somewhere or does that need to be in-wall as well?

By the way, I sent you a PM.

Adz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 AM

Very stupid question coming so watch out.

I am interested in getting the Def Tech towers, center , and surrounds. They are all powered, so you have to have an electrical outlet by every speaker, no? Thats a bit of a pain IMO.
post #903 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:

In short, I want to know what would the "Masters" of this forum recommend for speakers, subs, receivers wiring etc...

Could/would you do an IB for a sub. It's an in-wall solution, it's relatively inexpensive, and it gives outstanding LF output and response. I'd also suggest the Behringer BFD to equalize it, of course.

--Otto
post #904 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssick View Post

Very stupid question coming so watch out.

I am interested in getting the Def Tech towers, center , and surrounds. They are all powered, so you have to have an electrical outlet by every speaker, no? Thats a bit of a pain IMO.

First, are you saying that "all Def Tech speakers are powered" or "all the Def Tech speakers that I'm interested in are powered"? DT definitely makes both powered and passive speakers. While most of their towers are powered, many of their centers and surrounds are not.

Second, you are right; any speaker that has an internal amplifier generally has to have AC power (i.e., be plugged into a wall outlet). I have two DT towers with powered subs, and I don't find it to be a pain to plug them in. My center's not powered, but if it were, it would be no problem to plug it in either.

My surrounds are not powered either, but if they were I agree that it would be slightly more of a pain. There happen to be outlets near them, but it would be a wire running down the wall. If you are handy, you could mount outlets near the speaker, but that's another project that many people would not be willing to take on. Also, better make sure you want those surrounds there before you start cutting holes.

So, my opinion is that it's more difficult for the surrounds, and not so bad for the center and mains. Good luck and have fun. There's lots of stuff out there that's good -- both powered and not.

--Otto
post #905 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoSpiral View Post

First, are you saying that "all Def Tech speakers are powered" or "all the Def Tech speakers that I'm interested in are powered"? DT definitely makes both powered and passive speakers. While most of their towers are powered, many of their centers and surrounds are not.

Second, you are right; any speaker that has an internal amplifier generally has to have AC power (i.e., be plugged into a wall outlet). I have two DT towers with powered subs, and I don't find it to be a pain to plug them in. My center's not powered, but if it were, it would be no problem to plug it in either.

My surrounds are not powered either, but if they were I agree that it would be slightly more of a pain. There happen to be outlets near them, but it would be a wire running down the wall. If you are handy, you could mount outlets near the speaker, but that's another project that many people would not be willing to take on. Also, better make sure you want those surrounds there before you start cutting holes.

So, my opinion is that it's more difficult for the surrounds, and not so bad for the center and mains. Good luck and have fun. There's lots of stuff out there that's good -- both powered and not.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I meant to say all the Def Tech I am interested in are powered. I am very handy, and very good with electrical, but I think it would look stupid to have outlets at every speaker location. I am one of those people that can not see any wires. Would the outlet go behind the speaker or next to it and have a plug hanging down?

Does anyone have any pics of a powered center or a powered surround? That would be cool.
post #906 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I meant to say all the Def Tech I am interested in are powered. I am very handy, and very good with electrical, but I think it would look stupid to have outlets at every speaker location. I am one of those people that can not see any wires. Would the outlet go behind the speaker or next to it and have a plug hanging down?

Does anyone have any pics of a powered center or a powered surround? That would be cool.

I have my 7004's and my clr 2500 plugged into my line conditioner, leaving only the line conditioners power cord in need of an outlet, .

I decided to go with non powered surrounds (BP2X), but when I was considering powered surrounds my thought was to put outlets in the attic and run the surround power cords in-wall along with the speaker wire.

Maybe something to consider if you plan on mounting your surrounds on walls and have adequate attic space.

Sounds like a fun project-Good luck-vinny
post #907 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 09:23 AM

Can somebody tell me the weight of the Definitive Technolgy BP-20 floorstanding speakers. I'm trying to get an estimate for shipping purposes? Thanks.
post #908 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I hear ya about not wanting to see any wires. I still have my speaker wires just hanging down the wall because I'm not sure I want to cut holes and fish the wires in that location yet.

So, for my case, the only wires (both speaker and power) I would have to really worry about would be the surrounds. Mains and center are easy because they are all around the entertainment center and TV, so the wires are somewhat naturally obscured.

As to the surrouds -- if I were going to do an outlet at the point of the surround, I wouldn't want it to be adjacent to the surround, where it would still be visiblel. I would want it to be behind the speaker and hidden. That might be difficult with a normal flush-to-the-wall outlet -- I would think that the plug itself would protrude such that you could no longer properly mount the speaker itself.

To get around that, I might recess mount the outlet itself so that the plug sits back enough to mount the speaker on the wall. Another option is to swap the plug on the DefTech speaker itself to a thin 90 degree plug so that the speaker will sit flush. That might not be good for your warranty, but I'd consider it...

--Otto
post #909 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylgreg View Post

Can somebody tell me the weight of the Definitive Technolgy BP-20 floorstanding speakers. I'm trying to get an estimate for shipping purposes? Thanks.

I saw someone list them as 168 lbs for the pair on Audiogon, and I saw someone else list them as about 80 lbs each or 90 lbs each with packaging. It's not a definitive answer (i.e., not from their website or an offical spec sheet), but those two numbers agree with each other, and they seem about right for that speaker.

Good luck.

--Otto
post #910 of 31269 Old 11-11-2006, 04:52 PM

I think I can convice her to put a sub in the corner. I have already explained to her I need a cabinet for the various components. (HD TIVO, Router, DVD/VCR, Soon to be purchased based on recommendations A/V Rec, etc...)

Would the UIW BPZ/A's be an option? I have read good things about them but once again, I must defer to the masters....
post #911 of 31269 Old 11-12-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:

I think I can convice her to put a sub in the corner...

Hi there,

First, how big is your room?

Second, as you probably know, you can get away with using any brand of sub; it doesn't have to match your mains. If you want to buy a pre-made box sub, I've heard tons of good stuff about SVS. There's way more information about them, and other sub makers, in the sub forums. Not trying to chase you away from the DT thread, just trying to get you the most bang for the buck on questions related to subs.

If I needed a sub solution, I'd go DIY for sure. Would you be willing to go DIY yourself? I'm thinking IB or LLT... Cost effective and, if done correctly, will generally outperform premade subs.

--Otto
post #912 of 31269 Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 PM

My room is 18 x 30 x 9 and I am open to all ideals regarding this system. As for DIY, I would not know where to begin. As for costs, I am trying to get the most bang for my buck but not to my detriment. I will check out the sub forum based on your suggestions.
post #913 of 31269 Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

got to a dealer that actually had the promonitor 1000 and Mythos 2, that was 1.5 hours from home. Nice. Anyway when listening in an A/B the Mythos 2 killed the 1000, that is until we cranked it up then the 1000's killed the Mythos. I thought that was interesting, seems at -10 to -15db the Mythos sounded so much better it was not even worth doing twice, but then when we cranked to 0db the 1000's pulled ahead. I will listen some more tomorrow. The sales guy was also trying to talk me into some flush ceiling speakers for rears, I guess I will listen before I say what my guess at how that will sound.
post #914 of 31269 Old 11-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post

got to a dealer that actually had the promonitor 1000 and Mythos 2, that was 1.5 hours from home. Nice. Anyway when listening in an A/B the Mythos 2 killed the 1000, that is until we cranked it up then the 1000's killed the Mythos. I thought that was interesting, seems at -10 to -15db the Mythos sounded so much better it was not even worth doing twice, but then when we cranked to 0db the 1000's pulled ahead. I will listen some more tomorrow. The sales guy was also trying to talk me into some flush ceiling speakers for rears, I guess I will listen before I say what my guess at how that will sound.

We have the Mythos 2 as left/right - the Mythos 3 as center - and 2 pretty ancient lower end rears in the ceiling. Sounds fine for movies - especially if you have a receiver where you can "equalize" the output.

The speaker that makes the most difference in a system like this is the sub-woofer (you have to have one). Robyn
post #915 of 31269 Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:

I am setting up my first HT setup and I am in dire need of a recommendation. I have a room that is 18 x 30 x 9 with the left side of my 18x30 room opened to a Kitchen and Breakfast area. My wife says I can buy whatever I want as long as the speakers are in-walls. I have read every post in this forum thread and have decided to go with Def Tech. I heard the old UIW's and liked them and was wondering what the best setup would be given the recent technology advancements.

I have less than 2 months to acquire all the equipment and have it ready before the wifes Home extension project is completed. I appreciate any recommendations you all can provide. I forgot to mention as part of this project I will be purchasing the new 1080p commerical plasma from Panasonic. If the wife can get an extension, I can get a HT....

I am far from a master of this forum, but your post caught my attention because your layout is almost the same as my own - very open plan with the media room flowing directly into the kitchen. I know you have an "in wall" prereequisite, and we were looking for a similar solution. We finally landed on the following configuration which does not use in-wall equipment, but rather unabashedly puts all the speakers (and other equipment) out there in plain view. I can attest that it works beautifully for us both sonically and aesthetically. We have a pair of Def Tech 7004 main channels, and a pair of Def Tech 350 studio monitors (on Def Tech stands) for the back surrounds. A Pro Sub 100TT sits next to the equipment rack. We opted not to go with the center channel, since the Denon 3806 does a decent job of creating a phantom, and I'm in no hurry to either spend the cash or clutter up the room with another bulky piece of equipment (yet). From what I hear from others, however, if I ever do get a center channel I'd wonder how I lived without one...

Sorry about the pics - I slapped this post together real quick, including snapping the images just a few minutes ago. I can post better images if you want a closer look.
LL
LL

lee
post #916 of 31269 Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Robyn55,
I am in Jacksonville also. Where is a good place here to audition some of the Def Tech Mytho's?
post #917 of 31269 Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Carrigan View Post

Robyn55,
I am in Jacksonville also. Where is a good place here to audition some of the Def Tech Mytho's?

Their HQ's is located in Owens Mills, MD.....has anybody checked out if they allow auditions at their site?

Rick -
On the Beach
post #918 of 31269 Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 PM

If you are looking for an in-wall subwoofer, I have the IWSUB Reference in my 15x22 Home Theater. I think it does a fantastic job!

If you cannot tell the difference between HD and SD on a large screen TV get your frackin' eyes checked!
XBox Live: Vinny516
post #919 of 31269 Old 11-14-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

hi everyone, i have a def. tech surround sound system, the bp7002s , clr2500 , and the studio monitor 350 for rears, i absolutely love these speakers, they sound alot better than my old polk tower setup. My question is, is anyone connecting their def tech speakers using high grade speaker connections rather than just plain old speaker wire like myself. If so do you hear a big difference and what speaker connection wires are good for these speakers. If it makes a difference than i wanna upgrade to some. but i dont feel spending on some cables for MIT or something. thanx chris

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #920 of 31269 Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am using monster z series for my mains, 12 ga canare cable for the center and 14 ga for the rears. I got a good deal on the z series, I would never pay list for monster. I did notice the bass seemed to be tighter once I installed the monsters.

post #921 of 31269 Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

hi everyone, i have a def. tech surround sound system, the bp7002s , clr2500 , and the studio monitor 350 for rears, i absolutely love these speakers, they sound alot better than my old polk tower setup. My question is, is anyone connecting their def tech speakers using high grade speaker connections rather than just plain old speaker wire like myself. If so do you hear a big difference and what speaker connection wires are good for these speakers. If it makes a difference than i wanna upgrade to some. but i dont feel spending on some cables for MIT or something. thanx chris

I'm also considering upgrading my speaker wires to something of a higher grade. For now, I'm using
two rolls of Monster Cable 20' THX Speaker Cable. This was easy to trim and blends very well with the wood floors, conceals better than the thick & black "hose" cables. I liked the fact that I could custom cut the perfect lengths. The price was very reasonably, only $40 invested for the 40 ft of speaker wire and I still have about 13 ft left over. But, I assume this is near the bottom of the line as far as cable quality is concerned.

I'm only considering upgrading the speaker wire for the fronts and center and not the surrounds. So far I'm favoring the Audience Au24 Loudspeaker cables. Would go with banana connections for the Pioneer receiver and either banana or spades for the Definitive Tech speakers.

FYI, if you go with spades, you need larger spades to connect to our Definitives. The founder/president of Audience, John McDonald, explained this to me this morning by email: "I spoke with Definitive Tech and your loudspeakers employ 5 way binding posts; they accept both spades and bananas. The binding posts are 5/16 so you would need our large spade connector if you go that route. So you can go from banana on the receiver to either banana or large spades on the loudspeakers."

For now I'm going to order the Audience 3.0m Au24 Subwoofer Interconnect Cable for my MartinLogan Descent subwoofer, mainly because my current RCA cable is too short and is a Monster RCA interconnect cable for analog stereo use (6' Sigma Retro). Question: Does anyone have a preference between spades or banana plugs for speaker wire connectors to their Def Techs?

P.S.: I have the BP7006s and CLR 2300 center and wish I had the BP7002s and 2500 center, but my TV stand won't accommodate the 2500. I like my stand's height, width, and mobility (has wheels), but I'm terribly vexed about my center channel limitations due to the size constraints. Fortunately, I've never heard the 7002s or the CLR 2500, so at least I don't know what I'm missing, I can only imagine.
post #922 of 31269 Old 11-15-2006, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Question: Does anyone have a preference between spades or banana plugs for speaker wire connectors to their Def Techs?

P.S.: I have the BP7006s and CLR 2300 center and wish I had the BP7002s and 2500 center, but my TV stand won't accommodate the 2500. I like my stand's height, width, and mobility (has wheels), but I'm terribly vexed about my center channel limitations due to the size constraints. Fortunately, I've never heard the 7002s or the CLR 2500, so at least I don't know what I'm missing, I can only imagine.[/quote]

I am using banana plugs with mine. Just find them easier to work with.
I am using a 2300 with my 2002tl's (older version of 7002) and it works fine.
There is no timbre shift at all.

post #923 of 31269 Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I think I can convice her to put a sub in the corner. I have already explained to her I need a cabinet for the various components. (HD TIVO, Router, DVD/VCR, Soon to be purchased based on recommendations A/V Rec, etc...)

Would the UIW BPZ/A's be an option? I have read good things about them but once again, I must defer to the masters....

I have the UIW BPZ/A's mounted in my vaulted ceiling as rear surrounds and they sound great over a wide area due the bipolar configuration.
post #924 of 31269 Old 11-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Calvin-
Don't mean to butt-in. Are you in Jacksonville, FL? If so- you can audition Def Tech's at Hoyt Stereo on Beach Blvd. I just bought a complete Def Tech speaker package from them. Very friendly and accomodating. If you go, tell 'em Jimmy sent you!

Jimmy
post #925 of 31269 Old 11-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Jimmy,
Yes I am in Jacksonville Florida (actually St. Augustine on C.R.210 ). I know Hoyt well. Good people. It's been a long time since I have been in there. Did they have any of the Mytho's set up? What did you get?
post #926 of 31269 Old 11-15-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

hi gang i thought i'd cross post this here since you folks can probably help me as easily as my receiver buddies can

i own the DT BP2002's along with a Mythos 3 Center (long story) and BPX surrounds

i recently purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSI receiver and have been fumbling through setting up the automatic room correction and eq feature (MCACC)

when i originally set it up it didn't sound quite right so i did some expermenting and found that since the AVR doesn't "see" a sub connected i had to turn down the amp gains on for the subs to achieve a better eq setting on the receiver.

what i'm wondering is, since i'm using the gold jumpers and allowing the bp2002's to set the crossover levels and feed the subs should i be setting the crossover frequency on the receiver differently? in otherwords am i somehow hurting my sound quality by letting the receiver set the crossover first and then again by the towers? how would i correct this?

any advice is greatly appreciated

hey, also, any tips for HD-A1 HD-DVD owners? i'm wanting to overcome the -10db loss of lfe over hdmi out on the HD-A1 to the pioneer.

tia

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #927 of 31269 Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 PM

Calvin-

I do believe they had several mythos' set up for auditioning.

I got a pair of PowerMonitor 500's for the fronts, a C/L/R2300 for the center, 4 BP2x's for the side and back surrounds and a SuperCube III subwoofer. In a small room with placement challenges. this set up works beautifully. I've had the system up and running for a week now and I couldn't be happier. Incidentally, I'm running everything from a new Pioneer 84txsi. I also have a new Sony 60a2000 television and a new Pioneer DV-79avi dvd player. All courtesy of a fallen oak tree that destroyed my den and its previous home theater component occupants.

Jimmy
post #928 of 31269 Old 11-16-2006, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Nugent View Post

Calvin-

I do believe they had several mythos' set up for auditioning.

I got a pair of PowerMonitor 500's for the fronts, a C/L/R2300 for the center, 4 BP2x's for the side and back surrounds and a SuperCube III subwoofer. In a small room with placement challenges. this set up works beautifully. I've had the system up and running for a week now and I couldn't be happier. Incidentally, I'm running everything from a new Pioneer 84txsi. I also have a new Sony 60a2000 television and a new Pioneer DV-79avi dvd player. All courtesy of a fallen oak tree that destroyed my den and its previous home theater component occupants.

Jimmy

Jimmy, how did you manage to get that tree to fall on your old gear ?
post #929 of 31269 Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 PM

Has anyone here used three CLR3000s across the front? I am considering it or bp7002 for left/right and CLR 2500 for center.
post #930 of 31269 Old 11-16-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post

hey, also, any tips for HD-A1 HD-DVD owners? i'm wanting to overcome the -10db loss of lfe over hdmi out on the HD-A1 to the pioneer.

tia

Check the HD-DVD section as there are some long threads on how to handle the -10db loss of LFE.

I just connected my HD-A1 to my Denon 2807 via HDMI 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed any loss in LFE. From what I understand, it's only applicable to the 5.1 analog connections.

You can also check your receiver to see if there's a way to boost the LFE signal - I know my 2807 has the option to boost LFE by +10db and +15db but that's only for the analog connection.

My blog: Koolio - Thoughts and news on technology
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page