post #9451 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon08 View Post

Hi guys, please give me some advice...

I'm shopping around for new front speakers for my 5.1 (soon to be 7.1) setup. While originally looking at a pair of Polk TSi 400s, I found the Def Tech SM 350s sounded MUCH better, even with their smaller, more compact size. I mean, the sound wasn't even comparible in my opinion.

So, I've decided to go with the DT SM-350s for my fronts. In the future, I'll replace them with a nice pair of towers, and move them to the rear, but for now they will sound awesome in the front. My question is, they typically sell for around $500 a pair, but I found a pair on eBay for $350. They are from a "power seller" with good feedback, but still - that seems cheap. Any advice? Should I make sure I'm purchasing these high end speakers from the manufacturer or a big box store?

Don' t know where you live but 6th Ave Electronics has had some really good sales in the past on new in the box the SM350's (1/2 off or more). You may want to check there web-site and/or give them a call as they also do mail order. Check there weekly-ad online - they are running a deal on BP-6b's right now too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a good set of stands for the ProMonitor 800s? Mine are currently setting on my old stands atop my old fronts, as you can imagine, rather ghetto looking.

So I am in the hunt for some good stands and I also need to know the bolt size / pitch of the hold on the back so I can secure it properly to whatever stand I decide on.

Jason
post #9453 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingOK View Post

Just about finished with my setup in the house.....it's taken a little longer than expected, but I'm happy with the results. Using the Mythos line for all 7 speakers (Ones, Two's, Three and Gem XL's) and an Epik Castle mounted under the stairs.

Before pic:

After putting a slate wall up:

Converted a hall closet to an AV closet:

Built the subwoofer into the wall (still finishing up the cloth install):

Great looking room! The slate fireplace is a HUGE improvement. How do you like the performance of your castle under the staircase?
post #9454 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiel View Post

Can anyone recommend a good set of stands for the ProMonitor 800s? Mine are currently setting on my old stands atop my old fronts, as you can imagine, rather ghetto looking.

So I am in the hunt for some good stands and I also need to know the bolt size / pitch of the hold on the back so I can secure it properly to whatever stand I decide on.

Not to hijack the question, but ive been curious if anyone has recommendations for stands to use with the SM350's.
post #9455 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 AM

I use 7002s for my fronts, bpx for surrounds and bp2xs for rear surrounds. is my 2002 center too small to use with 7002s as fronts? also would a good pioneer elite receiver be powerful enough to drive my speakers or are seperates preferred. (I have never used seperates, only receivers), thanks
post #9456 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post

I use 7002s for my fronts, bpx for surrounds and bp2xs for rear surrounds. is my 2002 center too small to use with 7002s as fronts? also would a good pioneer elite receiver be powerful enough to drive my speakers or are seperates preferred. (I have never used seperates, only receivers), thanks

Hi, there. I have the same setup as you minus the BP2x rears in my 5.1 setup. I use a CLR2500 for my center, which matches very nicely. The CLR2002 is essentially the same without the subwoofer/amp. I've replaced two amp modules in my 2500, eventually getting to the point where I just unplugged the speaker and set the crossover to 80Hz. I can barely tell the difference.

So, to answer your question, I think you will find the 2002 a great match for the 7002 fronts. It's voice-matched, and will not be overpowered by the 7002's as long as you do proper calibration of your setup. You didn't mention anything about a subwoofer, but as I stated, crossing the center over to the sub below 80Hz really is not an issue vs. using the 2500's onboard sub, so that should hold true for the 2002 as well.

As far as the receiver goes, pretty much any mainstream modern receiver will power Def Techs just fine (I never say "all", but I've never heard of a receiver that can't power them). Def Techs, as I and others have found, really can open up with more power, but perform very well with moderate power as well. I went from an Onkyo TX-SR805 in both my setups to Sunfire amps (using the Onkyo's as pre/pros) rated at 200x5 (in my 5.1 setup) and 400x7 (in my 7.3 setup), and there's a noticeable (to me) increase in dynamics and channel separation, as well as extra headroom for dynamic movie soundtracks. However, before I went with the outboard amps, I would not say I was every disappointed with my systems; it's just that I'm MORE impressed with my systems now. If the Pioneer Elite has pre-outs, you can always add an outboard amp in the future, which is what a lot of us here have done.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #9457 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post

Welcome to the forum. The 2002 is a good match for the rest of your speakers. They all have the same size drivers so that is good. As far as separates, that depends on room size and personal preference. I am driving my main l/r with a power amp, the rest with my receiver. I do plan on getting a 5 channel amp eventually.

post #9458 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Welcome to the forum. The 2002 is a good match for the rest of your speakers. They all have the same size drivers so that is good. As far as separates, that depends on room size and personal preference. I am driving my main l/r with a power amp, the rest with my receiver. I do plan on getting a 5 channel amp eventually.

Hey, g_bartman, I beat you to it! Actually, I just wanted to be the prompt to get you to reply back and get your 1,000th post

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #9459 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

hey, g_bartman, i beat you to it! Actually, i just wanted to be the prompt to get you to reply back and get your 1,000th post

lol...

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #9460 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Hey, g_bartman, I beat you to it! Actually, I just wanted to be the prompt to get you to reply back and get your 1,000th post

To quote the great American Moe Howard "why you..."
Great minds think alike. We had similar answers to his question.
I have had to hold up on getting another amp as well as new theater seats. I was working a ton of overtime (helped with the down payment on my house) but there has been none offered in over 2 months Oh well, gotta be patient. I may get a sunfire or rotel to power my other 5 channels. Don't want to bust the bank with a 5 channel mcintosh. Gotta have $$ left for seats.

post #9461 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Thanks for the reply mate, all in all though, is the BP 1.2x a better speaker than the PM800? and i have one more question, is the L/C/R 2002 much better than my ProCenter 2000? if i were to get the L/C/R 2002 , would it match with my front left and right Pm1000s and surround Pm800s?

let me put it this way... I would take the BP1.2X over the PM800 for use as a surround. Not only because of my preference for the bipolar design, but it has twice as many drivers in a larger cabinet.

'It's not what you don't know that hurts you; It's what you know, that just ain't so.'
post #9462 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The ST is one helluva speaker! It compares equally with the BP7002. It's just a matter of preference in the mids and tweeters for direct radiating or bipolar and tonal quality from the different cabinet sizes. I like my 7002s for music and really love them for home theater. I like the STs for home theater, but absolutely love them for music. Either speaker can be tweaked to make up for their weaknesses. For example; I have to be careful to control my 7002s bass section cause it can become boomy very easily. However, that 6 x 10 race track woofer in the STs are always very quick and tight... a great design by Def Tech. Both these speakers are 5 1/4" drivers and it would not be fair to compare either of them to the 6 1/2" super towers. As far as looks go... my BPs are more manly looking .

'It's not what you don't know that hurts you; It's what you know, that just ain't so.'
post #9463 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 AM

I forgot to mention that I do have a sub in the mix, it is one of the older 1500tl or something I cant remember right now while im at work. I got is as a package of def tech years ago with bp2x, bp8s, and 2002 center, it is pretty big and i do plan on using it in my room, i am not very good with the techical part of home theater I usually just hook everything up to my receiver and use the automatic calibration. I have been working on my dedicated home theater room with all def tech speakers and will have pics sometime, it is turning out pretty sweet.
post #9464 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by headedforhighend View Post

The ST is one helluva speaker! It compares equally with the BP7002. It's just a matter of preference in the mids and tweeters for direct radiating or bipolar and tonal quality from the different cabinet sizes. I like my 7002s for music and really love them for home theater. I like the STs for home theater, but absolutely love them for music. Either speaker can be tweaked to make up for their weaknesses. For example; I have to be careful to control my 7002s bass section cause it can become boomy very easily. However, that 6 x 10 race track woofer in the STs are always very quick and tight... a great design by Def Tech. Both these speakers are 5 1/4" drivers and it would not be fair to compare either of them to the 6 1/2" super towers. As far as looks go... my BPs are more manly looking .

Quick decoding of the above:

BP7000SC > (BP7002 OR Mythos ST)

Gotcha.
post #9465 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1991 View Post

Don' t know where you live but 6th Ave Electronics has had some really good sales in the past on new in the box the SM350's (1/2 off or more). You may want to check there web-site and/or give them a call as they also do mail order. Check there weekly-ad online - they are running a deal on BP-6b's right now too.

Thanks, I checked their site and didn't see any SM's but they do have some pretty good deals.

Hey by the way, has anyone compared the SM350s with the B&W 686s? I was all set to purchase but a salesguy at soundscape recommended those instead. He didn't have the SM350s though, so that kind of makes sense. But he was claiming Def Tech's SMs are their "weakest" line of speakers, and that B&W are the greatest brand of speaker ever to grace the ears of mankind.

Anyone agree/disagree? He was selling the 686s (on sale) for $400.
post #9466 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks, I checked their site and didn't see any SM's but they do have some pretty good deals.

Hey by the way, has anyone compared the SM350s with the B&W 686s? I was all set to purchase but a salesguy at soundscape recommended those instead. He didn't have the SM350s though, so that kind of makes sense. But he was claiming Def Tech's SMs are their "weakest" line of speakers, and that B&W are the greatest brand of speaker ever to grace the ears of mankind.

Well, if his claim that StudioMonitor's are Def Tech's "weakest" line of speakers is true, then Def Techs are even better than what I thought they were!

Seriously though, neither the SM350/450 nor the B&W 686's will do you wrong. You'll want to use a subwoofer with both of them; they both provide very good imaging; they are both very strong with both mid-ranges and the upper frequencies. I would say it comes down simply to personal taste, aesthetics, and price.

post #9467 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 PM

How would you compare the BP7006 vs the Mythos Four... Granted one doesn't have built in sub woofers?

Overall comparing the 2 lines, gem vs comparable SM350, how does the mythos line fare?

sig
post #9468 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ok guys, im going to put my ProMonitor System on ebay tonight probably(2 pm1000S, 1 procenter 2000 and 2 promonitor 800s)

Im having too much buyer's remorse and i should have researched more before i pulled the trigger on the promonitors..

Basically this is the speaker setup i came up with:

For the fronts im going to get 2 BP6s Towers, for the center im going to get the CLR 2002 and for the Surrounds im going to get the BP2X.

Im dead set on the center channel because i think its a really good center channel and i didnt hear any center channel that sounds as good as that one, same for the surrounds, they are 1 step higher than the great 1.2x so im going to buy the BP2X to avoid any extra buyer's remorse in the future.

And for the fronts i think i decided to get the bp6 Towers, these are good right? my choice was either the bp6 towers or the Studio Monitor 350 but everyone i asked said the bp6 is by far better than the studio monitor 350.. What do you guys say? By the way the Bp8 is not worth the extra money right? i saw that it has the same drivers as the bp6, it just seems to have a larger cabinet..

Please give me some input on my decision. Thanks guys
post #9469 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok guys, im going to put my ProMonitor System on ebay tonight probably(2 pm1000S, 1 procenter 2000 and 2 promonitor 800s)

Im having too much buyer's remorse and i should have researched more before i pulled the trigger on the promonitors..

Basically this is the speaker setup i came up with:

For the fronts im going to get 2 BP6s Towers, for the center im going to get the CLR 2002 and for the Surrounds im going to get the BP2X.

Im dead set on the center channel because i think its a really good center channel and i didnt hear any center channel that sounds as good as that one, same for the surrounds, they are 1 step higher than the great 1.2x so im going to buy the BP2X to avoid any extra buyer's remorse in the future.

And for the fronts i think i decided to get the bp6 Towers, these are good right? my choice was either the bp6 towers or the Studio Monitor 350 but everyone i asked said the bp6 is by far better than the studio monitor 350.. What do you guys say? By the way the Bp8 is not worth the extra money right? i saw that it has the same drivers as the bp6, it just seems to have a larger cabinet..

Please give me some input on my decision. Thanks guys

the bp8b's have cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange drivers which are supposed to be better than the drivers in the bp6b

the larger cabinet will also give slightly more bass response

i saved the original pages from the old def tech site:

The BP8B
The BP8B is an extraordinary full-range bipolar loudspeaker which offers award-winning sonic performance superior to competitors' systems selling for twice its price and more. The BP8B 's taller cabinet and cast basket drivers deliver even more extended bass response than the BP6B. Its exquisite, jewel-like piano-gloss black or natural oak finish complements the finest home furnishings, and its sleek, ultra-compact design takes up only 1/2 sq. ft. of floor space.

BP8B Specifications:
Dimensions: 7" W x 11" D x 38" H
Frequency Response: 22 Hz - 30 kHz
Rec. Assoc. Amplification: 20 - 200 Watts/channel
Efficiency: 91 dB
Nominal Impedance: 4 - 8 ohms
Drivers:
- Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeters
- Two 5-1/4" mineral-filled homopolymer-coned,
cast-magnesium basket bass/midrange drivers
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black with wraparound black grill cloth (optional white cloth available separately).
Weight: 44 lbs. Speakers are supplied with an optional spiking kit.
Retail: $499 ea.

The BP6B
Leading experts agree that Definitive's revolutionary bipolar loudspeakers are sonically superior to any conventional speaker regardless of size or price. Our least expensive tower, the astonishing BP6B, brings all the dramatic benefits and sonic superiority of full-range bipolar technology to a new level of affordability.

BP6B Specifications:
Dimensions: 7" W x 11" D x 35" H
Frequency Response: 25 Hz - 30 kHz
Rec. Assoc. Amplification: 20 - 175 Watts/channel
Efficiency: 91 dB
Nominal Impedance: 4 - 8 ohms
Drivers:
- Two 25 mm pure aluminum dome tweeters blended by a Linkwitz-Riley crossover
- Two 14 cm mineral-filled homopolymer-coned bass/midranges.
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black with wraparound black grill cloth.
Weight: 42 lbs.
Speakers are supplied with an optional spiking kit.
Retail: $399 ea.

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #9470 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

hm thanks otk, would you suggest that i buy the bp8? the setup is going to cost me indeed, im trying to avoid any extra costs, by the way my reciever is the onkyo sr606, love that reciever.

i dont know how much i can get a pair of the bp8s but i can get a pair of the bp6s for like $480 or something around there which is fine, i mean is the difference noticable between the bp6 and bp8? my other speaker choices are good right?(the CLR 2002 for center and bp2X surrounds)

And its right that the bp6 is better than the studio monitor 350/450 because its a floor standing speaker afterall right?
post #9471 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hm thanks otk, would you suggest that i buy the bp8? the setup is going to cost me indeed, im trying to avoid any extra costs, by the way my reciever is the onkyo sr606, love that reciever.

i dont know how much i can get a pair of the bp8s but i can get a pair of the bp6s for like $480 or something around there which is fine, i mean is the difference noticable between the bp6 and bp8? my other speaker choices are good right?(the CLR 2002 for center and bp2X surrounds)

And its right that the bp6 is better than the studio monitor 350/450 because its a floor standing speaker afterall right?

i never did much listening to the bp6b & bp8b when i sold them so i can't really say how different they are but that's a great price for the bp6b's

the bp6b is a whole different animal from the studio monitors. the bp's are bi-polar and the studio monitors are direct radiating so it will depend on which type of sound you prefer

but the bp6b does have twice the mid drivers and a much larger box. the bp6b should have greater bass & dynamics and definitely a larger sound-stage

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #9472 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Hi guys it's me again looking for some advice. I may have found a buyer so it's time to upgrade and need to decide tomarrow. I currently have pm1000s in front and pm800 for surrounds. Those are going byebye. I am keeping the procenter 2000 and supercube I as well as a pair of 800. I need a front stage, and 2 side surrounds. Mythos although very good it is out of my budget. So my choices are bp6b for fronts and/or bpx maybe bp1.2x. Or bp7006 and bp1.2x for sides. The guy at the shop said that I shouldn't go with the 7006 since I have the supercube I and the 4.5in drivers will not sound as good as my pm1000s with 5.25in drivers. So I'm stumped. Please help me decide thanks.
post #9473 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM

I just got back from my local HT shop to demo some Mythos. Unfortunately they were about to close and didn't have them on a working display, but he did throw a 5.1 package together for me:
-Mythos SSA42 (left/center/right)
-Mythos Gem (rears)
-Supercube III

Anyone have a similar setup or care to comment on this one? I will be going back soon so I can hear it.

Everything was quoted to me at MSRP. Is there any negotiating room on this stuff or is it pretty well set? I want to buy locally, but I'm not opposed to buying online if I can save money.
post #9474 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

i never did much listening to the bp6b & bp8b when i sold them so i can't really say how different they are but that's a great price for the bp6b's

the bp6b is a whole different animal from the studio monitors. the bp's are bi-polar and the studio monitors are direct radiating so it will depend on which type of sound you prefer

but the bp6b does have twice the mid drivers and a much larger box. the bp6b should have greater bass & dynamics and definitely a larger sound-stage

I think its a great price too man, is there any chance of buyer's remorse if i buy the bp6 for my fronts? i mean what could possibly be an upgrade from that other than the bp8? i dont want the 7004s because i already have an ed sub and i live in an apartment so i dont need front towers to have bass too really..

Im trying to decide between the bp6 and bp8 but i dont know if the bp8 extra price is worth it and i dont think i can allow myself to spend more but if its really worth it then maybe i can reconsider
post #9475 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Hey guys,

Front left and rights:

Mythos Gem Duals
-or-
SM 350s

discuss...
post #9476 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Otk, basically if not the bp6 or bp8, what are my other options for around the same price? again i dont want the 7004 or any of these which are twice the price and also include a subwoofer in them which i dont want because i already have an eD sub(a2 300) and i dont want too much bass because i live in an apartment you know..
post #9477 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys,

Front left and rights:

Mythos Gem Duals
-or-
SM 350s

discuss...

i heared them both, the SM 350s were better in my opinion.. im trying to decide on front speakers aswell, im thinking about the bp6 towers, why are you not going for towers? it would cost you only about $100 more than a pair of 350s and its a tower speaker so you know its better than a bookshelf speaker..
post #9478 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 06:58 PM

I'd get the SM350 over the Mythos gems any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The gems to me are just not that great a speaker, and I onw a pair, they have to be crossed over at 120Hz otherwise they get distortion, the SM350 because of the 8" rad driver will get far lower and to me seems like a better constructed speaker.

The SM350 can be used as mains if you need, the mythos gems to me can only be used a rear channel because of driver size.
post #9479 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubel View Post

I'd get the SM350 over the Mythos gems any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The gems to me are just not that great a speaker, and I onw a pair, they have to be crossed over at 120Hz otherwise they get distortion, the SM350 because of the 8" rad driver will get far lower and to me seems like a better constructed speaker.

The SM350 can be used as mains if you need, the mythos gems to me can only be used a rear channel because of driver size.

I agree, Jubel, what do you think about the bp6? i can get a really good deal on these, along with the clr 2002 and the bp2x surrounds.. Is it worth getting the bp8 instead?
post #9480 of 31337 Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

If you are still interested in the SM350's I would call 6th Ave and ask if they still have them in stock and if they would give them to you for the advertised deal (I got them for 60% off (bought 2 pr) and later saw them for 50% off.)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page