otk
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by htotay View Post

Though I'm honestly craving for opinions, it's not my intention to re-post my post. Thanks for pointing the delete option to me though.

Unfortunately, I have no way of auditioning this speakers as there are none available here in Jordan.

i would play it safe and go with the 450s

there are some rooms that the bp's do not work well in. it's not often but it does happen

the 450s will work in almost any room unless you're room is very very large

i base this recommendation on the fact that a return would be out of the question or very difficult if you don't end up liking the bp sound in your room

you will definitely need a sub to go with the 450s though

with the bp6 you might be able to get away with using them for music without a sub in smaller to medium sized rooms

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15062 of 31564 Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Liked: 10
i found a deal for a used pair of bp30's for $340. would this be more than what its worth, or would this be a good deal?
post #15063 of 31564 Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7r53l View Post

i found a deal for a used pair of bp30's for $340. would this be more than what its worth, or would this be a good deal?

If they're in good shape from a driver/audio standpoint, that's a fantastic deal. I wouldn't hesitate for a second, and I probably wouldn't even try to undercut his/her price. Even if aesthetically they've seen better days, you could get new socks and end-caps (most likely) from Def Tech and make them look like new.

Seriously, they are very good speakers. They compare favorably with my BP7001sc's that I use in my family room 5.1 setup. My BP30's have taken up residence as the fronts in my 7.2 dedicated theater setup, and it'll be a long time before I feel any urge to replace them.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #15064 of 31564 Old 12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7r53l View Post

sounds good. i've seen them go as high as $900 plus shipping on ebay

they are probably the best speakers def tech ever made "for the money"

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15065 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 07:48 AM

Just ordered a pair of 450's off E-Bay for 350.00. Thats all, no tax and free shipping. There brand new in a sealed box straight from an authorized DEF Tech Dealer who never opened them. I know there's no warranty, but feel the need to explore this avenue. If the speakers are good I'll get two more pairs, for a complete surround sound. I still have 7 days to return them if there broken, for a new pair.

In 2002 these same speakers cost 350.00 each and at authorized dealers, there still 650.00 a pair.

I'm taking a shot at this. Tell you all how it turns out
post #15066 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM
l2e

I have a problem I need some advice on.

I had a built-in entertainment center built and it fits all my equipment perfectly, except one problem. Somehow, somewhere the dimensions for the center channel were screwed up and now I am about 1/8 of inch too short for my CLR 2000 (with the feet off). I have already talked with the carpenter and his plans don't show what I thought we agreed on so what it comes down to is me finding a way to make the speaker work. So my question to the experts is:

Can I have my carpenter remove about 1/8" off the top of the cabinet and then repaint it? Or would that somehow screw up the resonance or whatever? Another option is buying just the CLR 2000 cabinet off of eBay, having it modified and then moving the components to the newly modified cabinet. However, I am not entirely comfortable moving components as I would be afraid of not connecting the correctly.

Thoughts?
post #15067 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2e View Post

I had a built-in entertainment center built and it fits all my equipment perfectly, except one problem. Somehow, somewhere the dimensions for the center channel were screwed up and now I am about 1/8 of inch too short for my CLR 2000 (with the feet off). I have already talked with the carpenter and his plans don't show what I thought we agreed on so what it comes down to is me finding a way to make the speaker work. So my question to the experts is:

Can I have my carpenter remove about 1/8" off the top of the cabinet and then repaint it? Or would that somehow screw up the resonance or whatever? Another option is buying just the CLR 2000 cabinet off of eBay, having it modified and then moving the components to the newly modified cabinet. However, I am not entirely comfortable moving components as I would be afraid of not connecting the correctly.

Thoughts?

Not sure, ideally the cabinet is not supposed to resonate but sound like a solid (not hollow) unit. I would be surprised if your suggestion would yield performance issues, especially if it's gonna be squeezed into as tight a space as it sounds like you have. You could always just buy a spare cabinet from your source (probably not very expensive) and if you end up ruining the cabinet you have just transfer over all the "guts" to the spare. It would be easy to do, just copy the setup you see if you have to pull apart. Then worst case scenario you'd be back where you started from and would know that you had to pursue another course.
post #15068 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

I have a problem I need some advice on as well... I have enough raw speakers and the right crossover to build a bpvx. I want to make a center channel out of them instead though with all drivers facing straight front. If I make a rock solid cabinet is the shape gonna matter much. Is the internal volume important if there's not sub? I actually would be replacing my clr3000 to do this. Is not having shielded speakers near an LCD tv gonna create any problems?

Thank you for your time,
post #15069 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone selling a pair of DefTech speakers, looking for some towers. PM me.

Rich
post #15070 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

I've got a pair of BP10b's that I'm willing to part with, but I don't have any interest in boxing them up and shipping them. If you're willing to drive to Rushville, IL to pick them up, I'll make a deal with you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #15071 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

That's an awfully broad question. Can you specify what you're looking for, maybe your price range, and where you're located?
post #15072 of 31564 Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
OTK, inb response to your query a couple pages back (sorry I don't catch this thread as often as I would like) I own bot the DSOTM Alan Parson Quad mix (in DTS) and the DSOTM SACD and if having to choose, I would choose the quad mix every day of the week and twice on Sundays. just a far superior blend and mixing of sounds and instruments as compared to the Guthrie SACD mix.

Listening to "Money" on the quad mix you can easily tell how much better the sound is surrounding you as compared to the dedicated 5.1 mix it just blends better and you get far better "seperation" I was lucky enough to have a buddy who made me an excellant copy and although the encryption won't allow me to recopy it (don't know why) when I have friends over this CD always gets pulled out.

To the member who wondered if the SM450s compred to SVS. I have tested out the SCS and MBS by SVS and own a pair of 450's and heres how I would break down the sound quality. The 450's beat out the SVS SCS series by a wide margin, but the SVS MBS beat out the 450's with it's upgraded tweeter. just better mid range bass handling in the MBS (especially with it's tri fold selecter switch to cpmpensate for proper mid bass handling (depending on room and if foam bung is installed or not) Don't get me wrong I love my 450's in my full 7.1 Deftech setup, but if going with five matching bookshelves and cost isnt a factor then get the SVS MBS and match it with a BP13 Ultra (or two).
post #15073 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 07:21 AM

Whats up guys! Just wanted to chime in here. First post. Im just building a little system in my upstairs living room, now becoming a theater room.
Here's what I have so far.

7002 towers (come in 5 days, just returned my 7004's)
2002 center
Pioneer elite sc-05
Pioneer bd-320 blu-ray player
Panamax 4300 Power conditioner
Xbox 360 elite

Still haven't picked out rears but I will be running 5.1.
Right now, on the sides of the listening positions are two end tables where my crappy cube sides currently sit. I am thinking, go with some smaller pro mons for the rear? Would I lose a lot of performance with say those over the bipolar rears? I will snap some pics of the room and side tables and get your thoughts.

MHT Sales Rep
Rutgers student
Electronic fanatic :)
post #15074 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid 3d View Post

Whats up guys! Just wanted to chime in here. First post. Im just building a little system in my upstairs living room, now becoming a theater room.
Here's what I have so far.

7002 towers (come in 5 days, just returned my 7004's)
2002 center
Pioneer elite sc-05
Pioneer bd-320 blu-ray player
Panamax 4300 Power conditioner
Xbox 360 elite

Still haven't picked out rears but I will be running 5.1.
Right now, on the sides of the listening positions are two end tables where my crappy cube sides currently sit. I am thinking, go with some smaller pro mons for the rear? Would I lose a lot of performance with say those over the bipolar rears? I will snap some pics of the room and side tables and get your thoughts.

Nice setup comin' together.
Look forward to those pics.
They're a little costly, but if you can swing it, the BPX surrounds are fantastic. I expected them to be good when I put them in my setup, but they far exceeded my expectations.

BTW, what are the "crappy cubes" you're referring to?

'It's not what you don't know that hurts you; It's what you know, that just ain't so.'
post #15075 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideofpotatos View Post

Just message the "bajawaverunner" guy on ebay. It cost me $200 in parts per bpvx speaker. I'll let you know how mine go. If you don't hear back within 2 days just keep sending him the same email, his communication is a bit lousy.

That's without the cabinet right?

Just makin' lemonade baby.
post #15076 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

Try removing the end caps and see if that gets you any closer.

Just makin' lemonade baby.
post #15077 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 08:13 PM

I have a pair of DT bpx dipole surrounds. I'm about to mount them as rear surrounds, directly over my head. I'm afraid that the end caps might fall off. Should I put a screw through the bottom?
post #15078 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Another question for the use of bpx surrounds....I'm intending to use them as rear surrounds. However, I'm thinking about using them as front wide left and rights in Audyssey set up. Which would be better use of this pair?
post #15079 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimluu View Post

I have a pair of DT bpx dipole surrounds. I'm about to mount them as rear surrounds, directly over my head. I'm afraid that the end caps might fall off. Should I put a screw through the bottom?

The BPX is, as the model designation suggest, bipolar.
I've never heard of an end cap falling off, but if you sense yours is loose or just want to be sure, then pull or gently pry it off and put it back on to get a feel how secure it is. If you find that it could be tighter, then wedge a little of the sock or another material into one or more of the holes to tighten it up.
You wouldn't want to drive a screw through those piano black gloss caps

'It's not what you don't know that hurts you; It's what you know, that just ain't so.'
post #15080 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've had my BPX's wall-mounted above and off each end of our couch in my 5.1 family room setup for about 3-4 years now, and have never had any issues with an end-cap falling off. I'd leave them well enough alone. You could always fasten them more securely later if you find that yours fall off, but I really don't think they will.

For your other question, I have no experience with the front effects matrix yet to voice an opinion on if a bipole or direct-radiating speaker would be better. However, I would definitely use them as rear surrounds, as they give a very nice diffuse soundfield for surround effects, while at the same time giving discrete channel separation when called for by the soundtrack. If you only have the one pair, I'd mount them as surrounds, and if you find you like them (and you will), you could think about another pair for the front effect position. Another good option for the front effects would be the SM350 or SM450.

post #15081 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 08:53 PM

I just read the bpx description from the DT website....they mentioned possible ceiling mount! How is that possible? As is, I left my speaker on its side for about a month, and the screw holding the woofers in started to strip! I noticed MDF dust coming out, and when I opened the grill, 2 of the screws worked loose. Brand new pair! I guess I'll use them as surround backs now since I have in ceiling rear surrounds already. Will it work as well in back surround as rear surrounds?
post #15082 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another question for the use of bpx surrounds....I'm intending to use them as rear surrounds. However, I'm thinking about using them as front wide left and rights in Audyssey set up. Which would be better use of this pair?

Like schroedk, I have not used additional speakers in the front sound stage as effects, height, or wide. I'd also add that I have never considered it either. My front bipolar main towers do all that already .
The BPXs are great surrounds. If you are running 5.1, then be sure to identify those surrounds as 'side surround' or just 'surrounds' in your receiver and not as rear surrounds.
What is the rest of your setup?

post #15083 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headedforhighend View Post

Like schroedk, I have not used additional speakers in the front sound stage as effects, height, or wide.
What is the rest of your setup?

I have the SC7001 and LCR 3000 as my front set up. I'm trying to see of I can get the 7001s to work in a cabinet Trying to hide all my front speakers behind my projector screen.
post #15084 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the SC7001 and LCR 3000 as my front set up. I'm trying to see of I can get the 7001s to work in a cabinet Trying to hide all my front speakers behind my projector screen.

Whoa... nice speakers. Is there a separate sub?
I seen your last post after I posted again. So you are going to be running 7.1 including a pair of in-ceiling speakers? Where are the ceiling speakers located in the setup?
Putting those BP7001s into a cabinet would be an audio felony . Do you have to do that?

post #15085 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM

The rear surrounds are in the far L and R rear corners of my room. I'm planing on placing the BPX as surround backs, spacing the PBX about 5 feet apart from each other. The in ceiling speakers are about another 4-5 feet to either side.

I have a pair of av123 mfw-15 subs, and possibly another pair coming when I get around to picking them up. The subs and the lcr 3000 are in a recess behind my screen. The space previously held my rear projector TV.

I'm ambivalent about the placement of my 7001s....they don't sound bad in the cabinet, in fact the bass is quite good. I find myself not needing to turn on my subs for most movies. Obviously the bipole effect is all messed up. I have to stuff the cabinet with acoustic wool to block the rear sound waves. They do sound and look much better outside the cabinet, but I have small children, and I'm worried they wont last.
post #15086 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The towers can be spiked to the floor, if it's carpeted.
Is the PJ screen audibly transparent?

post #15087 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Yes. I my screen is acoustically transparent from seymourAV.

I'm not too concern that the speakers will topple over, but there's something about little fingers and speaker cones....I can't tell you how many I've pushed in as a kid, not its pay back time
post #15088 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL
Ya know, each morning when I woke up after I setup my new speakers, I feared that I would find the socks on my towers ripped to shreds from two cats and a dog, but it never happened.
You have the makings of a wonderful home theater. It would be a shame to lessen the audio quality of something so good. Perhaps your Karma is audio bliss.

post #15089 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

jimluu,
Since there are in-ceiling speakers in the mix now, I would need to amend my earlier suggestion of identifying the BPXs as side surrounds. Since you already have the in-ceiling speakers there, then the BPXs mounted on the rear wall would then be set as rear surrounds in your receiver.

With that said, I would suggest an experiment.
Temporarily mount the BPX surrounds at the side position and turn off the in-ceiling speakers. You would want to make sure that the BPXs are connected to the side surround wires and identified as such in the receiver.
Temporary mounting can be done with two step ladders leaned agianst the wall in the Dolby recommended surround position with the speakers just sitting on top.
I believe you will find that the BPX surrounds are worth every penny and the in-ceilings are... well, you'll see .

post #15090 of 31564 Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton007 View Post

Try removing the end caps and see if that gets you any closer.

I think he means that the height of the opening is too small for the speaker.

l2e: Wow...1/8"? How frustrating. Personally, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth to try and modify the speaker that way, but if you or someone else is willing to evenly plane the top and/or bottom of the CLR2000, that would probably work. Good luck.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page