Forum Jump: 

post #15091 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy Holidays to all....

Picked up a pair of BPVX's to complete my 7.1 setup. I'll use them for my side surround and my BP2X's for the back surround... Took about 11 years to complete but I did it.... .

Just wanted to know if I can replace the (end caps) and (sock)? If so what are they going for ($) wise. Should not take 11 years to do that LOL... I would like to change them front (white) to (gloss black). I checked Definitive's website and did not see any information on parts... I'll have to give them a call on Monday.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15092 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr View Post

Picked up a pair of BPVX's to complete my 7.1 setup. I'll use them for my side surround and my BP2X's for the back surround... Took about 11 years to complete but I did it.... .

Just wanted to know if I can replace the (end caps) and (sock)? If so what are they going for ($) wise. Should not take 11 years to do that LOL... I would like to change them front (white) to (gloss black). I checked Definitive's website and did not see any information on parts... I'll have to give them a call on Monday.

Steve

I would call and request black socks, and just get some piano black spray paint for the end caps.

Congrats on completing your HT project. Sounds like a great setup! (Yeah....pun intended.)
post #15093 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Hello...I am ready to begin setting up my first Home Theater system at the young old age of 55. Feel so out of touch, just learning about this subject, but it has been fun.

I need some help with one of my speakers. I will be setting up a 5.1 system. I have no interest in anything higher, nor heights or wides.

Here is what I purchased:

A pair of mint Definitive Technology 2002 TL's for my fronts.
A pair of new Definitive Technology BPX's for my two rear surrounds
For my center speaker, I purchased two different ones to try. Which ever one I do not want, I will sell.
I purchased a mint C/L/R-2002 and a mint C/L/R 2000.

My questions concerns the 2000 center channel speaker. As I said, the speaker looks beautiful. I just have to hook it up. However, when looking at the speaker, the left side black gloss end cap had two of the clips that hold those caps in place in the cap holes break off or something. It's not a big deal, but that end cap is only staying somewhat in place from the two clips or screws on the other end of the cap. So, the end cap isn't tight against the speaker.

Being pretty much an idiot when it comes to connecting or fixing even the simple things in life, I was wondering if I can buy whatever it takes to get that cap to connect up again? Looks like the screws push against the grill cloth, than that fits into the end cap hole.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Cannot wait to hook things up. I will be listening to music and watching TV at about a 50/50 split.

Dave
post #15094 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 View Post

My questions concerns the 2000 center channel speaker. As I said, the speaker looks beautiful. I just have to hook it up. However, when looking at the speaker, the left side black gloss end cap had two of the clips that hold those caps in place in the cap holes break off or something. It's not a big deal, but that end cap is only staying somewhat in place from the two clips or screws on the other end of the cap. So, the end cap isn't tight against the speaker.

Being pretty much an idiot when it comes to connecting or fixing even the simple things in life, I was wondering if I can buy whatever it takes to get that cap to connect up again? Looks like the screws push against the grill cloth, than that fits into the end cap hole.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. Cannot wait to hook things up. I will be listening to music and watching TV at about a 50/50 split.

Dave

Try calling or emailing Chet at Definitive on Monday. He can probably ship out some replacements "tree plugs."

Congrats on the new setup and the new hobby! It's a blast.
post #15095 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:

Hello...I am ready to begin setting up my first Home Theater system at the young old age of 55. Feel so out of touch, just learning about this subject, but it has been fun.

I need some help with one of my speakers. I will be setting up a 5.1 system. I have no interest in anything higher, nor heights or wides.

For my center speaker, I purchased two different ones to try. Which ever one I do not want, I will sell.

Dave

Congratulations, and welcome. First off, I'm partial to the CLR2000, but that's just my personal opinion, so I hope you can get the endcap fixed to your liking.

To help with this, I would suggest you contact our favorite DT employee, Chet Pelkowski, and explain your situation to him. He's very familiar with all of us here, and is always willing to help in a very timely manner. You can e-mail him at Chet.Pelkowski@definitivetech.com. He usually has access to all types of spare parts and replacements, and more often than not can get you hooked up with what you need.

I believe all you need are a pair of clips which screw or otherwise fasten into the end of the speaker cabinet itself, with tabs that slide into corresponding holes in the endcap.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #15096 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
progprog, not only are you faster than me, but you're also a lot more efficient It took me 10x the number of words to say the same thing that you said.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #15097 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL! Naw, I'm just multi-tasking and can only hold a thought for about that long....
post #15098 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 02:14 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
i tried out using one of my bp2x's as a center the other day. it didn't sound very good

perhaps a bpvx would sound better with the extra and larger drivers but i have a feeling it was the shape and design causing the problem

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #15099 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the help. Seems like getting that one end cap to fit securely against the speaker isn't as complicated as I thought it was going to be. I will call Chet on Monday.

And to Schroedk...Thanks for your input on the C/L/R-2000 center speaker. As I said, I bought both that speaker and the 2002. It will be interesting to hear the difference once everything is connected and ready to roll.

I figured I would not get hurt, since I purchased both of them for such a low price and could sell which ever one I decided not to keep and at least get my money back.

Dave
post #15100 of 31441 Old 12-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I would call and request black socks, and just get some piano black spray paint for the end caps.

Congrats on completing your HT project. Sounds like a great setup! (Yeah....pun intended.)

I'm down with that piano black spray paint progprog.... (sweet) keep what little chips I have in my pocket.... .

I'll give them a call first thing Monday morning (WestCoast Time).... Thank You..

Steve
post #15101 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2e View Post

I have a problem I need some advice on.

I had a built-in entertainment center built and it fits all my equipment perfectly, except one problem. Somehow, somewhere the dimensions for the center channel were screwed up and now I am about 1/8 of inch too short for my CLR 2000 (with the feet off). I have already talked with the carpenter and his plans don't show what I thought we agreed on so what it comes down to is me finding a way to make the speaker work. So my question to the experts is:

Can I have my carpenter remove about 1/8" off the top of the cabinet and then repaint it? Or would that somehow screw up the resonance or whatever? Another option is buying just the CLR 2000 cabinet off of eBay, having it modified and then moving the components to the newly modified cabinet. However, I am not entirely comfortable moving components as I would be afraid of not connecting the correctly.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton007 View Post

Try removing the end caps and see if that gets you any closer.

Quote:

I think he means that the height of the opening is too small for the speaker.

l2e: Wow...1/8"? How frustrating. Personally, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth to try and modify the speaker that way, but if you or someone else is willing to evenly plane the top and/or bottom of the CLR2000, that would probably work. Good luck.

Just try it, the end caps seem to stick out just a hair beyond the rest of the speaker on top and bottom on mine. Might just be enough to slide it in there. Failing that, look for a clr100b.

Just makin' lemonade baby.
post #15102 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felton007 View Post

That's without the cabinet right?

Yes, I bought some MDF and made my own cabinets with the specs on dt's website. The cabinets were $90 each.
post #15103 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimluu View Post

I have the SC7001 and LCR 3000 as my front set up. I'm trying to see of I can get the 7001s to work in a cabinet Trying to hide all my front speakers behind my projector screen.

Just remember that there are just as many speakers on that tower that face directly to the rear and you would likely be cutting your sound output in half if you surrounded 3 sides of the tower in a cabinet.
post #15104 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 AM
l2e

Quote:

I think he means that the height of the opening is too small for the speaker.

l2e: Wow...1/8"? How frustrating. Personally, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth to try and modify the speaker that way, but if you or someone else is willing to evenly plane the top and/or bottom of the CLR2000, that would probably work. Good luck.

Yes, it is EXTREMELY annoying and what is more annoying is that it is likely my fault during the design phase of the built-in. I probably gave him one measurement and meant another.

I tried with and without endcaps and it didn't make a difference. It is clearly hanging up on the cabinet itself. I am meeting with a different carpenter to see what can be done as the first one was uninterested in working with me.

At least I caught all this before it was stained...
post #15105 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimluu View Post

The rear surrounds are in the far L and R rear corners of my room. I'm planing on placing the BPX as surround backs, spacing the PBX about 5 feet apart from each other. The in ceiling speakers are about another 4-5 feet to either side.

I have a pair of av123 mfw-15 subs, and possibly another pair coming when I get around to picking them up. The subs and the lcr 3000 are in a recess behind my screen. The space previously held my rear projector TV.

I'm ambivalent about the placement of my 7001s....they don't sound bad in the cabinet, in fact the bass is quite good. I find myself not needing to turn on my subs for most movies. Obviously the bipole effect is all messed up. I have to stuff the cabinet with acoustic wool to block the rear sound waves. They do sound and look much better outside the cabinet, but I have small children, and I'm worried they wont last.

The speakers or your children!!? I also have the 7001 towers and found that treating the lower half of the towers as separate subs (I use a y-splitter for the lfe output and run one to each lfe input on the towers) gives a much better bass response than sending a full bandwidth signal thru the speaker wire input. You might already know this but just throwing it out there just in case it's useful.
post #15106 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr View Post

Steve

Go on ebay and look up seller "bajawaverunner," I think it's DT's warehouse. He's got everything def tech in parts or assembled, just message him and ask. I just bought spare parts to make bpvx's for $200 a speaker (I am making the cabinets). If you just do a search for "definitive technology" over half the listings that come up are from him. Happy Shopping!
post #15107 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dave

Yeah, Chet will definitely get you hooked up. Also I think you'll find the 2000 will have a higher sound output, mostly just because of the driver compliment. I have found that the sub in the clr series is not really that practical, but can still be enjoyable. If you set the receiver crossover for the center channel to 100hz than anything lower than that will get sent your sub(s), which will do a much better job of producing the low effects. I also have found that if the full bandwidth line input on the back of the sub is not used (connected to the center channel pre-out on your receiver) the sub portion of the 2002 will hardly do anything even if you turn the bass knob all the way up. Just some thoughts, I'm sure you'll figure out what coordinates best with your setup.
post #15108 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

i tried out using one of my bp2x's as a center the other day. it didn't sound very good

perhaps a bpvx would sound better with the extra and larger drivers but i have a feeling it was the shape and design causing the problem

I am hoping what you think is true, I bought all the spare parts to make a bpvx (except the cabinet) and am going to make a center channel out of it instead with all 6 drivers facing straight forward. I am anxious to see if the output of this will surpass the clr 3000 I have.
post #15109 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Do you know if BP2X also exist in white color? I have seen the BP1.2X in white, though it looks like they disappeared last week from DefTech website.
post #15110 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideofpotatos View Post

Yeah, Chet will definitely get you hooked up. Also I think you'll find the 2000 will have a higher sound output, mostly just because of the driver compliment. I have found that the sub in the clr series is not really that practical, but can still be enjoyable. If you set the receiver crossover for the center channel to 100hz than anything lower than that will get sent your sub(s), which will do a much better job of producing the low effects. I also have found that if the full bandwidth line input on the back of the sub is not used (connected to the center channel pre-out on your receiver) the sub portion of the 2002 will hardly do anything even if you turn the bass knob all the way up. Just some thoughts, I'm sure you'll figure out what coordinates best with your setup.

when you tried the center pre-out, was your center channel set to large in the receiver ?

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #15111 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 AM

I ordered SM450 for my front L+R. I'm deciding on center between CLR2500, CLR2300 and CLR2002. So far I'm leaning toward CLR2500. I would love CLR2000 or 3000, but the cabinet is too big and therefore am limited only to these three. Please post your experience if you have SM450 with any of the three CLRs I listed.
post #15112 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

when you tried the center pre-out, was your center channel set to large in the receiver ?

The answer to your question is indirectly yes, I'll extrapolate. My receiver (onkyo 605) doesn't have large/small settings but instead I can set the crossover filter to specific frequencies. I was sending a "full bandwidth" signal out to the center which is the same as setting it on "large." The problem I'm having is that my receiver doesn't have multichannel pre-outs so i was using the pre-out on the back of my player but I found this would produce sound that was out of phase with the receiver output. If I disconnected the line input from this pre-out the sub in the center channel goes virtually dead (I have a clr 3000). So now I have only the speaker wire going to the center speaker and set the crossover freq. at 100 hz and everything below that goes to my proper subs. I have found for my system that the sub in the center channel is not very applicable.
post #15113 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 01:36 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

"on paper" the sub should help clean up the mid-range a bit

the non powered CLR's mid-drivers are in ported boxes

on the powered CLR's with the sub, the mid-drivers are in sealed chambers which should improve sound quality

a little extra extension is also a feature

my clr-2000 sounds great but my clr3000 sounds even better

it could be psychological though

i've been using my clr2000 the last couple of weeks. still sounds great

i'll have to switch to my 1000b soon and give that a work-out

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #15114 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Liked: 16
What's a fair price to offer for a barely used, mint condition CLR2002/CLR2500 (no scratches, dents, dings, pulls, or otherwise)?

Original packaging, even has the warranty card in the box still.

No receipt, but looks and performs 100%.

Thanks in advance.
post #15115 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p6889k View Post

I ordered SM450 for my front L+R. I'm deciding on center between CLR2500, CLR2300 and CLR2002. So far I'm leaning toward CLR2500. I would love CLR2000 or 3000, but the cabinet is too big and therefore am limited only to these three. Please post your experience if you have SM450 with any of the three CLRs I listed.

Order three more (or 4) SM 450's and have the best matched system around. I have a 6.1 system of 450's and it's fantastic.
post #15116 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlobbyBobby View Post

Order three more (or 4) SM 450's and have the best matched system around. I have a 6.1 system of 450's and it's fantastic.

I wish, but don't have the room/location for it.
post #15117 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 PM

I dont see many people posting that they have the mythos 6 or 7 models. I just ordered two 6's for left/right and a 7 for center. Also purchased a Prosub 1000.
What are your thoughts on these speakers for a 15 x20 room with 20 foot ceilings?

Also wondering if you think that my Harman Kardon AVS 2600 that only puts out 65 watts per channel will be able to get the most out of these speakers. Can't push all the watts its rated for(100), but the HK's 65 is supposed to be super clean...

What do you think?
post #15118 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaftm View Post

I dont see many people posting that they have the mythos 6 or 7 models. I just ordered two 6's for left/right and a 7 for center. Also purchased a Prosub 1000.
What are your thoughts on these speakers for a 15 x20 room with 20 foot ceilings?

Also wondering if you think that my Harman Kardon AVS 2600 that only puts out 65 watts per channel will be able to get the most out of these speakers. Can't push all the watts its rated for(100), but the HK's 65 is supposed to be super clean...

What do you think?

There's a dedicated Mythos thread....that's probably why you don't see much talk about them here. You might get more knowledgeable responses there.

(Not that you aren't welcome here......just not too many Mythos owners amongst the regulars.)
post #15119 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideofpotatos View Post

Go on ebay and look up seller "bajawaverunner," I think it's DT's warehouse. He's got everything def tech in parts or assembled, just message him and ask. I just bought spare parts to make bpvx's for $200 a speaker (I am making the cabinets). If you just do a search for "definitive technology" over half the listings that come up are from him. Happy Shopping!

Sideofpotatos,

Thank You for the heads up.... I already ordered the socks this morning.... from Definitive but good looking out...

Steve
post #15120 of 31441 Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Hello fellow Def Tech owners!

I recently purchased the following:
BP7004 floor towers (2)
C/L/R 2300 Center
ProMonitor 1000 surrounds (2)

I've been reading and a lot of people seem to recommend the CLR 2002 over the 2300. And the BP2X surrounds are bipolar, which match the BP7004 floor speakers. The main reason I got the ProMonitors is because the lowest I could mount the BP2X speakers is 9 feet (top of speaker) on a wall 3 feet behind couch, and I was thinking that was too high. So, I got the PMs to mount high and point down. Is that too high for the BP2X surrounds, or would that work?

The cost difference between what I've mentioned is not a factor, they practically equal the same. I just want to get the best system I can get to match the BP7004s. But, I don't know anything about all this timbre matching and same driver stuff. Would I be better off with the C/L/R 2002 and BP2X surrounds? Or, am I ok?

Thanks!
Mark
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page