Definitive Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Speakers > Definitive Owners Thread

Speakers

J.H.'s Avatar J.H.
10:02 AM Liked: 12
post #1531 of 32455
02-13-2007 | Posts: 3,634
Joined: Nov 2003
I like the setup you have put together. The only thing I would change is using the GEM Xls coming out but thats just one little change optherwise it will sound great. The Mythos ones are incredible I have them in my current setup.
kevinjo23's Avatar kevinjo23
10:44 AM Liked: 10
post #1532 of 32455
02-13-2007 | Posts: 104
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasman2 View Post

last reply wsa meant for kevinjo not lowell, sorry.

WAF of course...
kevinjo23's Avatar kevinjo23
10:53 AM Liked: 10
post #1533 of 32455
02-13-2007 | Posts: 104
Joined: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

Funny, i have 7002 & 1.2s and i think its fine. only like 5% of sound comes from the rears. With 80%+ coming from my center, I'll up to 2500. Bpx's will come after a receiver upgrade, and after area rug and drapes.


rr,

I would like a more balanced sound (more sound from rear speakers). I auditioned a 7002 & 1.2 set up and I felt that the sound of the 7002s was too much for the 1.2s, would you agree with this? Those 7002s are bombshell speakers, in my opinion, too bombshell for my room. I'm looking at the 7006 with 2xs in the rear. The 7006s don't hit the lows quite like I would want them to (like the 7002s) but they sound great. If I'm not content with the low bass in my home with the 7006s, maybe a sub for Christmas.
LowellG's Avatar LowellG
04:04 PM Liked: 139
post #1534 of 32455
02-13-2007 | Posts: 1,718
Joined: Aug 2004
Quote:


Originally Posted by rr330i
Funny, i have 7002 & 1.2s and i think its fine. only like 5% of sound comes from the rears. With 80%+ coming from my center, I'll up to 2500. Bpx's will come after a receiver upgrade, and after area rug and drapes.

My room is over 5000 cubic feet and the 1.2s are mounted on 2 pillars in the back of the room. Behind them is another 2500 cubic feet. There is also nothing on the sides for them to reflect off of. I just feel like there barely there, even with 7 channel stereo. I am thinking about moving up to the BPX.
Buttabean's Avatar Buttabean
05:37 PM Liked: 24
post #1535 of 32455
02-13-2007 | Posts: 640
Joined: Nov 2005
ive got the bp7001sc towers with c/l/r 3000 center and have 4 bpz/a in the ceiling of my loft for surround sound hooked up to a yamaha rvx4600. Sounds amazing!

old pic when i just hooked it up

JBTEMT's Avatar JBTEMT
08:47 PM Liked: 10
post #1536 of 32455
02-13-2007 | Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 2006
Im looking into getting a pair of SM-350's and a Denon AVR-1907....Just wondered what everyone thinks of the speakers and if anyone own's them??? also......what does everyone think of the 1907 powering the 350's??? powerful enough???
LowellG's Avatar LowellG
09:58 PM Liked: 139
post #1537 of 32455
02-13-2007 | Posts: 1,718
Joined: Aug 2004
Quote:
Im looking into getting a pair of SM-350's and a Denon AVR-1907....Just wondered what everyone thinks of the speakers and if anyone own's them??? also......what does everyone think of the 1907 powering the 350's??? powerful enough???

I owned them and they are very detailed speakers. Great imaging. The 1907 should be fine. I had a Yamaha RX-V530 and I could have used a little more power. Did I mention they are great speakers?
Adz523's Avatar Adz523
01:32 AM Liked: 10
post #1538 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 890
Joined: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferry View Post

Need some opinions. I have pretty much decided on the bp7004's, but not sure what to select for the center. Would the Pro Center 2000 be sufficient or should I go with the CLR 2002? I am just thinking about going with these 3 speakers as a start. My couch is pretty much right up against the wall so I have no room in back of me for surrounds, and have a foot to my left of wall space for one and probably 2 ft on my right of wall space. I think the BP surrounds would be too big and not look that great. Also would it sound right if they are that close to my seating? I have been thinking of possibly the in-walls UIW BP/A.

Any help would be appreciated

In ceilings may be a better option for you for surrounds right above the couch.
Spindizzy's Avatar Spindizzy
07:16 AM Liked: 10
post #1539 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 133
Joined: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I owned them and they are very detailed speakers. Great imaging. The 1907 should be fine. I had a Yamaha RX-V530 and I could have used a little more power. Did I mention they are great speakers?

I'll second that. The sm-350s are great speakers - I'm still using them in my setup. The 1907 should be fine powering them.
slouque1's Avatar slouque1
08:16 AM Liked: 10
post #1540 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 141
Joined: Mar 2004
Are the BP2X surrounds to much speaker for a 15X20' den or should I look into getting the BP1.2X surrounds? I already have the BP7006 for my mains and am looking for the surround that will provide the best match and effect for the 7006. Right now I'm thinking about getting the 2X but don't want to spend that kind of $ if I don't have to. Is there that much difference in the BP2X than say the BP1.2X as far as effect or are they close to the same? These are just a few of the ?'s I would like to have answered before buying the surround speakers for my setup.
rr330i's Avatar rr330i
08:29 AM Liked: 10
post #1541 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 1,002
Joined: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

My room is over 5000 cubic feet and the 1.2s are mounted on 2 pillars in the back of the room. Behind them is another 2500 cubic feet. There is also nothing on the sides for them to reflect off of. I just feel like there barely there, even with 7 channel stereo. I am thinking about moving up to the BPX.

Room is 19x13x9, thats 2223cu ft. much smaller than yours.(i could see the sound getting lost)
7002s are 24" off the side walls & 18" off the front wall.
I have my 1.2s mounted @ 6ft hi, 1ft off the back wall(right next to the seating position).
I hear them plenty. I would go for the BPX if i were to upgrade, but I don't see it worth $800 right now. I just got the room set up. I've had my 1.2s for 4 years now, otherwise if i had started from scratch, the BPXs would have been bought w/ my 7002s(new). But i also think i'll benefit ALOT more from a 2500 center than from the rears. Rears don't do nearly the work a center will, and that is not an opinion.

Per Chet, "The system you've assembled is well matched and should sound quite natural for both music and video applications."
"When upgrading your system, I'd recommend using our CLR2500 center speaker and BPX surround speakers. (Upgrading your center speaker would produce a noticeable improvement in sound quality, while it's not very important to upgrade your surrounds.)"
rr330i's Avatar rr330i
08:40 AM Liked: 10
post #1542 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 1,002
Joined: Jan 2004
slouque1, how close do you sit to the rear of your room?
btw, there is only $150 retail difference between the BP2x and 1.2x.
slouque1's Avatar slouque1
08:44 AM Liked: 10
post #1543 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 141
Joined: Mar 2004
well right now I have an apartment and my sofa is against my back wall but I am planning on building a new house in the not so distant future and am trying to get ideas for speaker choice and placement of the speakers when I do build. Right now I would say that my sofa will be about 5' from the rear wall in my new house but that is not definite.

BTW, thanks for the reply.
rr330i's Avatar rr330i
08:46 AM Liked: 10
post #1544 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 1,002
Joined: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferry View Post

Need some opinions. I have pretty much decided on the bp7004's, but not sure what to select for the center. Would the Pro Center 2000 be sufficient or should I go with the CLR 2002? I am just thinking about going with these 3 speakers as a start. My couch is pretty much right up against the wall so I have no room in back of me for surrounds, and have a foot to my left of wall space for one and probably 2 ft on my right of wall space. I think the BP surrounds would be too big and not look that great. Also would it sound right if they are that close to my seating? I have been thinking of possibly the in-walls UIW BP/A.

Any help would be appreciated

In my last setup, i had a opening leading to another room and had about 1ft of all space from the 'door' molding to the back wall. I just squeezed my 1.2x in there. The oposing wall was a full wall. Did it look funny? I didnt think so. my wife complained when she first saw it. Never mentioned it again for the next 3yrs.
Things just become the norm.
Check out my previous post for my speaker placements.
rr330i's Avatar rr330i
08:52 AM Liked: 10
post #1545 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 1,002
Joined: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by slouque1 View Post

well right now I have an apartment and my sofa is against my back wall but I am planning on building a new house in the not so distant future and am trying to get ideas for speaker choice and placement of the speakers when I do build. Right now I would say that my sofa will be about 5' from the rear wall in my new house but that is not definite.

BTW, thanks for the reply.

you should send an email to dt customer service.
chet will let you know which surrounds will work w/ your current setup.

Its hard to plan for the future.
I just got the 7002s, figuring i wouldn't have to upgrade my fronts again. Thats the big ticket item w/ speakers anyway.

I'm no pro, just a guy who likes his chit.
And I'm pretty damn happy w/ my choice.
A real audiophile may not like what i have, but all of my friends are average wealthy guys who don't know crap about AV. So my setup kicks ass to them.
Plus the real deal is my kids 6 & 8, LOVE the room!
slouque1's Avatar slouque1
09:05 AM Liked: 10
post #1546 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 141
Joined: Mar 2004
I'm same as you rr330i as far as my knowledge of this goes but like you I love my two 7006's. Really for now they are all I need but like any other person who wants to have the best, I got to get what I want and right now I want to get the matching surrounds to go with the 7006's I bought and want the one's that will give the best effect for my setup. Anyway thanks for the reply and I'm really looking forward to hooking up whatever surrounds I buy.
1loudsuv's Avatar 1loudsuv
10:25 AM Liked: 10
post #1547 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 1,165
Joined: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

BUT, with varying room acoustics, there is the real possibility that facing the active drivers out MIGHT sound better as is indicated in the manual. Trial and error, trial and error

(I currently have the active drivers pointing in, but when they are moved to their new homes in a few months, I will try them both ways to see which provides the best sound).

MikeSp

so did you try it? or has anyone else has and what kind of results did you get?
RudyMeister's Avatar RudyMeister
11:22 AM Liked: 10
post #1548 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 1,457
Joined: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by slouque1 View Post

I'm same as you rr330i as far as my knowledge of this goes but like you I love my two 7006's. Really for now they are all I need but like any other person who wants to have the best, I got to get what I want and right now I want to get the matching surrounds to go with the 7006's I bought and want the one's that will give the best effect for my setup. Anyway thanks for the reply and I'm really looking forward to hooking up whatever surrounds I buy.

slouque my room size is 14 X 18.5 and viewing distance is 12'

I also have the 7006 and really like them. When I first got them my 65" DLP was sitting on a 50" wide temporary console with openeings, and the sounds from the 7006 was phenomenal. Then my console arrived and it's 4" taller, solid block of hard woods, and it has taken away some of the sound quality from my 7006.Speaker placement is so tricky and crucial, I was able to get it to the best positiion, I believe. They sound good but not as phenomenal as when I first got them, because of thenew console.

I'm now considering moving up to the 7004. It's still within my 30 days return policy from Magnolia. I may do it since it would be cheaper to exchange it now then having to sell them later and buy them new
ctauber's Avatar ctauber
02:12 PM Liked: 10
post #1549 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 60
Joined: Jul 2004
Does anyone have experience with bi-wiring a 2002 center?

What differences would I expect to hear by removing the supplied jumpers and hard wiring both sets of connectors to the amp?
teds12's Avatar teds12
03:47 PM Liked: 10
post #1550 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 2007
Folks,
I've had the ProTower 400's with the matching ProCenter C2 for a half dozen years. I am using Klipsch Quintets as my surrounds.

Everything was fine with my old 1990 era Pioneer VSX-9500 driving a big muddy bass 4 channel surround (Dolby ProLogic was all I had and not too acceptable) sound. Well, thankfully the Pioneer bit the dust after a power surge and I just bought the enlightening Yamaha HTR 5960. So now I have a better feel for what surround sound is all about, I've taken a closer look/hear at the ProTower 400 sound.

Just as I was about to buy a pair of ProMonitor 80's for channels 6 and 7, I started reading through the threads on this site. I'd like to start by asking everyone's advise on 2 thoughts:
1. Buy a SuperCube II and those ProMonitor 80's for the surrounds and move the Quintets to rear surround service, or
2. Buy a pair of 7004's and put the ProTower 400's in the surround positions and move the Quintets to rear surround service.

Other facts:
My room is 14' x 15' x 8'
I auditioned the BP2004's before I decided on the ProTower 400's (I couldn't get comfortable with the bipolar sound PLUS the 2004's impacted my then prime TV, a Mitsubishi direct view 35" CRT.
My TV is a Sony 50" rear projection LCD.

Ted
plasman2's Avatar plasman2
04:17 PM Liked: 10
post #1551 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 2007
Ted,
If you couldnt get comfortable with the bp sound of the 2004s then why would you consider the 7004s?
What is your center speaker?
teds12's Avatar teds12
09:35 PM Liked: 10
post #1552 of 32455
02-14-2007 | Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasman2 View Post

Ted,
If you couldnt get comfortable with the bp sound of the 2004s then why would you consider the 7004s?
What is your center speaker?

Great question plasman!
Even though I love the articulation and clarity and direct radiation of the ProTower 400's, I just got a BAD CASE of bass envy reading through the posts here.
When I had the Pioneer receiver which I swear has a "deeper signature" than the lighter but cleaner "Yamaha Sound", I convinced myself that the 400's possessed enough deep bass. Perhaps I've always wanted to sit in a room with the walls shaking.

My center is called the Definitive Technology ProCenter C2 which in the Y2K timeframe was sold by DT as a "perfect timbre match" to the 400's. Now that I've finally got surround sound that isn't only Dolby ProLogic, I'm satisfied that I've got a uniform and clean wall of sound from the front, and I'm focusing on the rears.

I haven't abandoned my original thoughs on the ProMonitor 80's for the surrounds and the Quintets for rear surrounds, the heck with the deep bass.

One thing that I hate to do is kiss off less than 100 Hz from the 400's (I know that the 400's have an honest, very strong bass signature to 40 Hz and a decent signal [-3 dB point?] even at 35 Hz from test CDs), and roll the dice on the Supercube II's - but from what I've read here, that will be as close to a sure thing as there can be.
Buknakyd's Avatar Buknakyd
08:11 AM Liked: 11
post #1553 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 93
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctauber View Post

Does anyone have experience with bi-wiring a 2002 center?

What differences would I expect to hear by removing the supplied jumpers and hard wiring both sets of connectors to the amp?

I have yet to try this but Chet from Definitive Tech stated the following:

"Bi-wiring allows your main amplifier to control the movement of the speaker cones better. In a real sense, the damping factor of the system increases. Most listeners would hear a subtle improvement by doing this.

The benefits would include a smoother high end, greater inner detail in the midrange frequencies and a tighter bass response. These improvements would be subtle but noticeable to most listeners."
mshawn's Avatar mshawn
11:06 AM Liked: 10
post #1554 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 2007
Hello All

I recently purchased a Def Tech setup:

BP7004s
C/L/R/ 2002
Denon 2807

I would like some advise on an inceiling rear/surround setup. I'm in the process of finishing my basement. The theater area is not closed off to the rest of the basement. Completely open on the left side.

I'm looking for inceilings because I only have a soffit (no wall) on the left side that comes down about 6-8" from the ceiling, so a BP2x, BP1.2x etc... would hang off because of their height. The bookshelfs on a stand are also not an option.

I've heard the speakercraft aim8 two at BB magnolia. But not as a surround/rear speaker. I haven't read "great" things about the UIW 94/84A inceilings.
I plan to purchase 3. 2 behind the seating area and 1 over the bar area which is directly behind the seating area. The height of the ceiling over the seating area is 7' on the left side and 7.5' on the right side.

I've read that inceiling do not provide the "greatest" home theater experience as compared to a BP2x, BP1.2x, ProMon900 etc.. But I would like to have the best "home theater" experience I can get with an inceiling speaker. This setup will be used mostly for tv shows/movies/sports. Not much music at all.

Anyone have a similar situation?

Thanks in advance
teds12's Avatar teds12
11:21 AM Liked: 10
post #1555 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 2007
Best Buy has it at $899.
In NJ, that makes it $962 at 1.07x.

Three Internet sites have it under $700, e.g., Howard Pierce's Direct Audio Video, $698.54 with no tax and UPS Ground included (a $263 savings).
This is claimed: "All products we carry are Brand New, Factory Sealed, complete with All factory supplied accessories, and a full manufacturer's USA warranty."

While I see it as a massive savings, I've resisted the "Butterfly Photos" thus far for big ticket camera and audio equipment.

How big a risk would I be taking?
(Bait and switch post-Credit Charge swipe stories about these places abound even among my 100 or so colleagues at work.)

Will Best Buy even listen to an argument for price matching here?
Best Buy did match an Internet $319 against its' $499 for the Yamaha HTR-5960.
While Butterfly has it there, Best Buy matched Expo Electronics' $319.
teds12's Avatar teds12
11:36 AM Liked: 10
post #1556 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 2007
Sorry
Djoel's Avatar Djoel
11:59 AM Liked: 242
post #1557 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 7,832
Joined: Jul 2006
Still no info on Mytho St/Gem LX Def Tech website!

I believe the Gem lx had started to ship,and no further specs/pics on website!

Djoel
J.H.'s Avatar J.H.
12:07 PM Liked: 12
post #1558 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 3,634
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Still no info on Mytho St/Gem LX Def Tech website!

I believe the Gem lx had started to ship,and no further specs/pics on website!

Djoel

Yes i am surprised by this myself. I thought they would want this information on the website very quickly.
Djoel's Avatar Djoel
01:55 PM Liked: 242
post #1559 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 7,832
Joined: Jul 2006
Yeah hopefully in the next few weeks ,days if we're lucky,or if we are really lucky the DT can reramp their whole website ,and make it a bit more modern.


Djoel
J.H.'s Avatar J.H.
02:19 PM Liked: 12
post #1560 of 32455
02-15-2007 | Posts: 3,634
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Yeah hopefully in the next few weeks ,days if we're lucky,or if we are really lucky the DT can reramp their whole website ,and make it a bit more modern.


Djoel

Modern? Is it outdated I really don't know?
Tags: Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems

Gear in this thread
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3