Forum Jump: 

post #23071 of 31269 Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa455 View Post

Thanks for your reply. I went ahead with ordering the BP2X pair. Seems these are discontinued? but I was able to find a pair used in good condition.

So now my 5.1 setup is going to be...

BP10 mains
C/L/R 2002 center
BP2X surrounds
Epik Legend sub

AVR is Pioneer 1120K. Can't wait to get it all set up!

I think you'll be pleased with the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23072 of 31269 Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post

I think you'll be pleased with the sound.

I like pioneer. I've owned 2 elite models and were very pleased with the sound and ease of use. I'm thinking of when I upgrade my onkyo that I might go back with pioneer elite unless I come across some money and go with separates. That was always my goal before I got out of HT. I was fond of lexicon but couldn't afford. Anyway good luck.
post #23073 of 31269 Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_inc View Post
You can not have side surrounds in the front. That's why they are called side the go on the side....the planning and effects the put out would be a mess if in the front. Get a 9.2 or 11.2 and run them as wide or high
Ok thanks, I figured that was the case but was just wishfull thinking that I could add more surrounds somehow instead of 4 front right and left (2 high and wide and 2 low and closer together). it works and sounds good and even pro audio boutigue said my DT bp di's in the rear even though only 2 were doing surround very well.

Its just with upgrading the BP6's up front (low), to xtr 50 or 60's , I figured those would be enough and I could somehow use the high wide front right and left in walls as surrounds somehow.

If i have to stick with 4 up front r&l (low closer, and high and wides) then I can probably get away with the mythos xtr 50's even if when wall mounted next to a 70" tv they wont cover as much of the sides of that size tv they're mounted next to as the xtr 60's.

But just being i have the high adn wides, I dont think I need xtr 60's as my front low narrower right and left so I can probably just get 50's for those and an xtr 60 as the center.

I'd just hate to later down the road feel I want to upgrade to the xtr 60's and then wish i had just got them in the first place.

with the wires already in wall from previous owner where they were that I made use of for the high wide front right adn left and 2 surrounds that was probably best way to go as it would have been a mess to try to move those and probably not enough slack to move them far from wehre they were sticking out of the wall

The DT DI's look adn sound great. If i want more then the 2 in wall bp surrounds then I'm probably better off figuring a way to hide the speaker wire under the carpet or something and doing 2 floor standing or lower wall mounted surrounds (preferably the bp xtr20's if those even come with floor stand.

I dont really have any floor space though and the one side is also open with only a wall that starts pretty high up. that wouldn't be bad since the other surrounds are high up and could maybe point the wall mounted xtr 20's down.

Just so much trouble to get the speaker wires through those walls and the one wall is an upstairs hallway balcony wall so not sure how doable.

brings me back to floor level surrounds to compliment the high up 2 bp di surrounds but again nowhere to put them.

I think I'm stuck with the 2 rear bp di surrounds which luckily are good. And just go witht he xtr 50's up front low narrow right and left sinc I have the high wide DI's and then the xtr 60 center.
post #23074 of 31269 Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quatre, I think you should stic with the BP6 up front, your gonna get far better bass response than you would with the XTR50 or 60. I feel the XTR had to give up any bass for thinness and your BP6 although not a low bass hitter like the BP10 or 700X series, it will get down to at least 60Hz before dropping off unlike the XTR series which will drop off at 100Hz.
post #23075 of 31269 Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre

Ok thanks, I figured that was the case but was just wishfull thinking that I could add more surrounds somehow instead of 4 front right and left (2 high and wide and 2 low and closer together). it works and sounds good and even pro audio boutigue said my DT bp di's in the rear even though only 2 were doing surround very well.

Its just with upgrading the BP6's up front (low), to xtr 50 or 60's , I figured those would be enough and I could somehow use the high wide front right and left in walls as surrounds somehow.

If i have to stick with 4 up front r&l (low closer, and high and wides) then I can probably get away with the mythos xtr 50's even if when wall mounted next to a 70" tv they wont cover as much of the sides of that size tv they're mounted next to as the xtr 60's.

But just being i have the high adn wides, I dont think I need xtr 60's as my front low narrower right and left so I can probably just get 50's for those and an xtr 60 as the center.

I'd just hate to later down the road feel I want to upgrade to the xtr 60's and then wish i had just got them in the first place.

with the wires already in wall from previous owner where they were that I made use of for the high wide front right adn left and 2 surrounds that was probably best way to go as it would have been a mess to try to move those and probably not enough slack to move them far from wehre they were sticking out of the wall

The DT DI's look adn sound great. If i want more then the 2 in wall bp surrounds then I'm probably better off figuring a way to hide the speaker wire under the carpet or something and doing 2 floor standing or lower wall mounted surrounds (preferably the bp xtr20's if those even come with floor stand.

I dont really have any floor space though and the one side is also open with only a wall that starts pretty high up. that wouldn't be bad since the other surrounds are high up and could maybe point the wall mounted xtr 20's down.

Just so much trouble to get the speaker wires through those walls and the one wall is an upstairs hallway balcony wall so not sure how doable.

brings me back to floor level surrounds to compliment the high up 2 bp di surrounds but again nowhere to put them.

I think I'm stuck with the 2 rear bp di surrounds which luckily are good. And just go witht he xtr 50's up front low narrow right and left sinc I have the high wide DI's and then the xtr 60 center.
Dude not to sound rude but you are all over the place with your post. The added front high if hooked up right as added presence speakers should not even put out that much sound if I'm correct so get matching those out of your head. Go with nicer fronts and match those with same size drivers for rears. Maybe 7002 up front with bpvx in back, if you budget allows. A clr3000 for center will work perfect. If you want 7.1 or 9.1 since you have front high add some bpvx on stands to the side of room fishing wire is simple to basement. If you don't have the tools it shouldn't be to expensive. I fished all mine with a 15.00 flat snake.
post #23076 of 31269 Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 PM

What amp are you using for all thesis it a true 9.1 capable
post #23077 of 31269 Old 04-26-2011, 11:52 PM

Location: Derby City, USA- a blue oasis in a sea of red-state insanity...
Liked: 15
Quote:
I like pioneer. I've owned 2 elite models and were very pleased with the sound and ease of use. I'm thinking of when I upgrade my onkyo that I might go back with pioneer elite unless I come across some money and go with separates. That was always my goal before I got out of HT. I was fond of lexicon but couldn't afford. Anyway good luck.
You know, I have to say how pleasantly surprised I've been the last year at how good my Def Techs (PowerMonitor 700s/CLR 2500) and Pio Elite SC-25 sound together, particularly with music. My old Onkyo TX-DS 797 was pretty good with movies; music was passable, but rarely more than that. I can't tell you how many "Wow, that sounds amazing!" moments I've had with CDs, even some I've had for 20 years or more (the 1987 release of Joni Mitchell's Blue is a good example). And with the Pioneer, I finally can hear the difference between SACDs (currently in stereo) and CDs. I have an Oppo BDP-93 on the way to replace my DV-47Ai for hi-rez music discs (plan to keep it for CDs) and my PS3 for Blu-ray (likewise, for gaming), and I can't wait to hear my SACDs' surround tracks. Now I just need a good sub
post #23078 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 AM

I have a question. I hear a lot of people on here talking about 9.1 and even 11.1. All movies are encoded in 5.1 or 7.1. So with that being said. Is it even worth the extra money to invest in anything more than a 7.1?
post #23079 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I have a question. I hear a lot of people on here talking about 9.1 and even 11.1. All movies are encoded in 5.1 or 7.1. So with that being said. Is it even worth the extra money to invest in anything more than a 7.1?

That depends. I have 9.1 with height channels and don't notice much of a difference on most movies. I have heard the wide channels are more noticeable but my room is not laid out for them. Bipolar speakers throw such a big soundstage which probably diminish the effect of the height channel.

post #23080 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 AM

Is anyone using a newer center channel (8060HD or 8080HD) with older front mains like the BP8B's or BP10's??? Just wondering how well they match.
post #23081 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Like g-bartman stated above, the DT bipolar effect definitely opens up a normal 5.1/7.1 movie sound track. I've always been a fan of the Yamaha DSP modes, initially with the front two high/wide presence speakers. When experimenting with 5.1 and the different effect programs, turning the effect off and on etc, I near always preferred the presence speakers activated.

I did listen briefly one day to a friends Denon setup when he was experimenting with a 9.1 configuration, utilizing the height mode. Obviously wasn't a side by side comparison yet it reminded me of the Yamaha/front presence speaker effect etc. I have not however heard a "wide" configured 9.1 setup.

I picked up my current Yamaha 11.1 receiver for a great price thus grabbed a couple extra BP2Xs and went for all 11 channels. The "dialog lift" effect, a function of the front height/effect speakers, works wonderfully for the center channel when located below your display. And the front - rear wide/height speakers definitely add to the overall 3D effect as Yamaha calls it.

Overall,
IMHO if I had a 9+ channel receiver and a room that could accommodate the speakers and wiring I would definitely experiment.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #23082 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Like g-bartman stated above, the DT bipolar effect definitely opens up a normal 5.1/7.1 movie sound track. I've always been a fan of the Yamaha DSP modes, initially with the front two high/wide presence speakers. When experimenting with 5.1 and the different effect programs, turning the effect off and on etc, I near always preferred the presence speakers activated.

I did listen briefly one day to a friends Denon setup when he was experimenting with a 9.1 configuration, utilizing the height mode. Obviously wasn't a side by side comparison yet it reminded me of the Yamaha/front presence speaker effect etc. I have not however heard a "wide" configured 9.1 setup.

I picked up my current Yamaha 11.1 receiver for a great price thus grabbed a couple extra BP2Xs and went for all 11 channels. The "dialog lift" effect, a function of the front height/effect speakers, works wonderfully for the center channel when located below your display. And the front - rear wide/height speakers definitely add to the overall 3D effect as Yamaha calls it.

Overall,
IMHO if I had a 9+ channel receiver and a room that could accommodate the speakers and wiring I would definitely experiment.

Cheers

I'll do some research on this and if may be something I'll do later when I upgrade my receiver. Right now I want to sell my CLR2300 and get the clr3000. I just got paid for a Job from a month ago and got a few more decent jobs coming in the next couple of weeks. If I can sweet talk my wife maybe I can het that clr3000.

So if someone wants a mint clr2300 pm me and we ll talk.
post #23083 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Hi all -

Upgraditis has flared again and I'm looking for more advice from the wise DT crowd. First, my current setup:
- Fronts: BP6B
- Center: CLR2002
- Surround: BP1.2X
- Sub: SuperCube III
- AVR: Denon 1611
- Room: 14x30, 9' ceilings, great room layout w/HT utilizing half the room, opening to 24' vaults on non-HT side of the room.

Primarily this setup is used for 2.1 music / music Blu-Rays, with the occasional movie. The sound is probably a 7 out 10, which is a huge improvement from my prior setup. I'm looking for more musical mid-low end "punch", and believe my room size is too big for the poor SCIII.

If my budget was $1K, would replacing my fronts with a nice set of local BP2000s be wise or would the money be better spent on an ID sub like the Epik Empire? Or, would adding another (non-retail) SuperCube III offer the additional punch and salvage my SCIII investment?

Thanks!

post #23084 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by koicraft View Post

Hi all -

Upgraditis has flared again and I'm looking for more advice from the wise DT crowd. First, my current setup:
- Fronts: BP6B
- Center: CLR2002
- Surround: BP1.2X
- Sub: SuperCube III
- AVR: Denon 1611
- Room: 14x30, 9' ceilings, great room layout w/HT utilizing half the room, opening to 24' vaults on non-HT side of the room.

Primarily this setup is used for 2.1 music / music Blu-Rays, with the occasional movie. The sound is probably a 7 out 10, which is a huge improvement from my prior setup. I'm looking for more musical mid-low end "punch", and believe my room size is too big for the poor SCIII.

If my budget was $1K, would replacing my fronts with a nice set of local BP2000s be wise or would the money be better spent on an ID sub like the Epik Empire? Or, would adding another (non-retail) SuperCube III offer the additional punch and salvage my SCIII investment?

Thanks!

If you're looking for musical punch, I can't recommend Rythmik highly enough. I have an F12SE in my family room setup, and absolutely love how perfectly it blends with my Avalon Symbols for 2-channel music. I also have experience with the Epik Empire since I am using two of them in my theater, along with another pair of Rythmik F15s. Both the Epiks and Rythmiks are leaps and bounds better than the Supercubes until you get to the Reference or Trinity. I think the Rythmik is a little more articulate and musical than the Epiks, but you would be thrilled with either one.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #23085 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglovergfd View Post

I am looking at getting on wall speakers setup, I am leaning toward Def Tech Mythos Nine for R/C/L. They are getting good reviews as far as on wall speakers go. I dont have room for floor speakers on side of fireplace or would probably go with Mythos Ones or Fours. I am trying to figure out what sub will go best with this.

My room in 12 1/2 ft x 18 1/2 ft with 8 ft ceiling. The sub will go behind my component stand in front Right Corner. I do need a small footprint. I was looking at the Def Tech SuperCube II or SVS SB12-NSD. The SVS will be at tight fit will be close to wall, but will fit. It will primarily be used as home theater with some music listening. I can get the SuperCube II for $699 and the SVS for $599. I want to stay close to this price range. For 47 LG LED, Integra DTR-20.1, LG Blue Ray.

To get an ideal to my listening taste my favorite speakers where my ESS monitors.

Keep in mind I love good sounding music but am not tech savy at all. So all the specs dont really mean anything to me, lol,

Thanks for any Input
doglovergfd is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

I ended up getting a supercube I. I found a new one on sale for $597, such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.
post #23086 of 31269 Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
^^^

congrats...nice price

let us know what you think after playin around with it for awhile...
post #23087 of 31269 Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 AM

I just want to say that last night me and my family rode to Target and I ran across Avitar the extended version on blu ray for $24.99. That was an awesome deal normally its 35-40. So I bought it. I only watched a few minutes of it but that is a beautiful movie, and my bp2002tl's was paying off. Great sound so far. My complaint with the movie is the language. James Cameron could have left the language out and would have been a better movie. Well that's my 2 cents anyways.
post #23088 of 31269 Old 04-29-2011, 08:46 AM

I'm looking for advice on an upgrade.
My current setup is:

Front: SM350's
Center: CLR2002
Rear: BPX's
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC Plus

I upgraded to the BPX's a few weeks ago from BP1.2's and the difference has been fantastic and now I'm looking at upgrading the Front speakers. Due to space constraints I won't be able to upgrade the CLR2002, so I'm trying to determine which set of fronts I want to go with. The options I'm currently looking at are BP10B, BP8B, BP7002, and BP7004.

Would BP10B's overpower the center channel? The 6.5" driver is a concern for me. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether or not the drivers should match across the front, but I've been told in the past to match when possible. The only reason the BP8B's are in consideration is because they would match.

From the bit of reading I've done in the forum, it doesn't look like many people purchase the 7004's, I'm assuming this is because they only have the 2-5.25" drivers while the 7002's have the 4 drivers. How big of a difference does this make?

With the sub that I have, is it necessary to get front towers with powered subs? Again, it looks like a lot of people have chosen to go with the 7002's and a separate sub, but I don't fully understand what other benefits I'd get from the 7002's beyond the bass extension.

I haven't tested any of these speakers, and as discontinued models, I don't expect to be able to, so the last question, what kind of improvements do the 70XX series have over the older BP10/8's?

EDIT: I emailed Chet at deftech and he seemed to think that the BP10B's would be perfect for my system, so at this point, I'm leaning towards those. The price/availability is much nicer than the 7002's.

Thanks
post #23089 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan8186 View Post

I'm looking for advice on an upgrade.
My current setup is:

Front: SM350's
Center: CLR2002
Rear: BPX's
Sub: SVS 20-39 PC Plus

I upgraded to the BPX's a few weeks ago from BP1.2's and the difference has been fantastic and now I'm looking at upgrading the Front speakers. Due to space constraints I won't be able to upgrade the CLR2002, so I'm trying to determine which set of fronts I want to go with. The options I'm currently looking at are BP10B, BP8B, BP7002, and BP7004.

Would BP10B's overpower the center channel? The 6.5" driver is a concern for me. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on whether or not the drivers should match across the front, but I've been told in the past to match when possible. The only reason the BP8B's are in consideration is because they would match.

From the bit of reading I've done in the forum, it doesn't look like many people purchase the 7004's, I'm assuming this is because they only have the 2-5.25" drivers while the 7002's have the 4 drivers. How big of a difference does this make?

With the sub that I have, is it necessary to get front towers with powered subs? Again, it looks like a lot of people have chosen to go with the 7002's and a separate sub, but I don't fully understand what other benefits I'd get from the 7002's beyond the bass extension.

I haven't tested any of these speakers, and as discontinued models, I don't expect to be able to, so the last question, what kind of improvements do the 70XX series have over the older BP10/8's?

EDIT: I emailed Chet at deftech and he seemed to think that the BP10B's would be perfect for my system, so at this point, I'm leaning towards those. The price/availability is much nicer than the 7002's.

Thanks

I would go with the BP7002... I love those for music and movies. I also like the new BP8060's. Haven't heard the BP8080's. Chet probably said that because they don't make the BP7002's any more. The high's on the BP7002's at very loud volumes can get a little harsh but at moderate level's they sound really good. I thinking maybe a capacitor upgrade might help with that issue though.
post #23090 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

I would go with the BP7002... I love those for music and movies. I also like the new BP8060's. Haven't heard the BP8080's. Chet probably said that because they don't make the BP7002's any more. The high's on the BP7002's at very loud volumes can get a little harsh but at moderate level's they sound really good. I thinking maybe a capacitor upgrade might help with that issue though.

I would vote for the 7002's as well. I have the 7004's but only because I got a great deal on them. The 7002's will match your 2002 perfectly. I have the BPX's as well - love 'em!
post #23091 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
Another vote here for the 7002's. I went from the BP10b's to the BP7002's (and ultimately to the BP7001sc's), and the biggest jump in sound quality is when you go from a single mid-range and tweeter front and back to dual mid-range drivers and a tweeter front and back in a D'appalito array. The next biggest factor in sound quality (for me) was going from smaller mids to larger mids. What each of these jumps get you is much improved sound quality in the mid-ranges of the audio spectrum, where the largest percentage of sound in our audible spectrum occurs.

YMMV of course, and what I wrote above is true only in my experience specific to Definitive Technology (I've owned/used about 23 or so different models in their lineup over the years). I replaced my BP7001sc's with a pair of Avalon Symbols which employ two smaller mid-range drivers (5 1/4") vertically-stacked below a 1" tweeter which is angled higher. The Avalons absolutely crush my BP7001sc's in music and hold their own with movies, but they REQUIRE a standalone subwoofer (thankfully I have a few), whereas the BP7001sc's can get along pretty well without one (although many of us still use them).

You really can't go wrong with any of your choices, but to avoid the need to upgrade and spend more down the line, I would recommend you get the best ones that you can afford right now.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #23092 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Another vote here for the 7002's. I went from the BP10b's to the BP7002's (and ultimately to the BP7001sc's), and the biggest jump in sound quality is when you go from a single mid-range and tweeter front and back to dual mid-range drivers and a tweeter front and back in a D'appalito array. The next biggest factor in sound quality (for me) was going from smaller mids to larger mids. What each of these jumps get you is much improved sound quality in the mid-ranges of the audio spectrum, where the largest percentage of sound in our audible spectrum occurs.

YMMV of course, and what I wrote above is true only in my experience specific to Definitive Technology (I've owned/used about 23 or so different models in their lineup over the years). I replaced my BP7001sc's with a pair of Avalon Symbols which employ two smaller mid-range drivers (5 1/4") vertically-stacked below a 1" tweeter which is angled higher. The Avalons absolutely crush my BP7001sc's in music and hold their own with movies, but they REQUIRE a standalone subwoofer (thankfully I have a few), whereas the BP7001sc's can get along pretty well without one (although many of us still use them).

You really can't go wrong with any of your choices, but to avoid the need to upgrade and spend more down the line, I would recommend you get the best ones that you can afford right now.

This is a lot of good information, and muddles my decision a little bit more.
I'll keep my eyes out for a pair of 7002's, but I'm hoping to upgrade within the next month. Craigslist sales are in either California or Florida, so shipping would be prohibitive (also peoples unrealistic view of the value of their speakers), so I'll keep an eye on ebay for a pair. Hopefully a pair shows up before I get too impatient.
post #23093 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Let me start by saying I still enjoy my 7001's for music. I had a tought week at work. (I work for a ginormous telephone company, we had a big windstorm, lots of down trees.) I sat and listened to music for several hours yesterday to unwind. I wish there were a way to audition several speakers without having to go on a major cross country road trip to do so. I know Keith loves his avalons, I would love to hear them along with several others. I hope to get to Chicago to visit family this summer, I'll have to see what dealers are in the area. Hopefully they wont recognize me as a tire kicker and give me the cold sholder.

post #23094 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
two questions. Does anyone know of a source for screw in feet that extend out so that there is less chance of my BP3000s tipping. Always worried my kid will have it fall on him?

also does anyone know if you can get replacement top/side caps for my BP3000s and CLR 3000. All of them got damaged during my recent move. How much and ware from? Def Tech??

thx,
Jim

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Panamorph UH-480/ATH1 Anamorphic Lens

Stewart Ultramat 200, 120", 2.0 Gain, 16x9 Aspec Screen (Motorized)

SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2, 144", 1.4 Gain, 2:35 Aspec)

Yamaha...

post #23095 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post

two questions. Does anyone know of a source for screw in feet that extend out so that there is less chance of my BP3000s tipping. Always worried my kid will have it fall on him?

also does anyone know if you can get replacement top/side caps for my BP3000s and CLR 3000. All of them got damaged during my recent move. How much and ware from? Def Tech??

thx,
Jim

EBay will be a good start to look for caps.
post #23096 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 PM

hey guys what do you guys think.. I am trying to decided on what to buy: polk audio cs2 series ii OR definitive technology procenter 2000 please help. Thanks!
post #23097 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1
Quatre, I think you should stic with the BP6 up front, your gonna get far better bass response than you would with the XTR50 or 60. I feel the XTR had to give up any bass for thinness and your BP6 although not a low bass hitter like the BP10 or 700X series, it will get down to at least 60Hz before dropping off unlike the XTR series which will drop off at 100Hz.
I assumed that going from BP6's (lowest BP model) to mythos xtr60 (highest xtr model) would be a significant upgrade. I was mostly concerned about losing the BiPolar feature. Hadnt thought aboutthe bass factor.

Im needing the thin wall mountable form factor and they seem to be really well reviewed. I'm doing a subwoofer upgrade as well so hopefully that will make up for any bass lost going from BP6's to XTR60's.

I still think it will be a significant upgrade. Especially using one as a center channel coming from a mythos 7 (lowest end mythos center).
post #23098 of 31269 Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_inc

Dude not to sound rude but you are all over the place with your post. The added front high if hooked up right as added presence speakers should not even put out that much sound if I'm correct so get matching those out of your head. Go with nicer fronts and match those with same size drivers for rears. Maybe 7002 up front with bpvx in back, if you budget allows. A clr3000 for center will work perfect. If you want 7.1 or 9.1 since you have front high add some bpvx on stands to the side of room fishing wire is simple to basement. If you don't have the tools it shouldn't be to expensive. I fished all mine with a 15.00 flat snake.
Using an Integra dtr 30.2. Its capable of doing 4 front right and left. Like ive said, previous owners left wires in the walls so I put 2 DI 5.5 bp surrounds which have been good even though I came from a 7.1 setup with 4 surrounds. Matched those with 2 DI 5.5 LCR for high wide front r&l, that are same height and width as the rears.

Then did the bp6's for low narrower front L&R. They have been decent and so has the Energy mini sub (smaller then dt supercube but surprisingly more powerful). The weakest link is the mythos 7 center as dialog is often too low.

Trying to clear some space and wall mount the tv eventually and at least the low front R&L's and possibly also the center.

Xtr60's seem like a great choice for LCR. I lose the bp feature and I guess some bass from the bp6's but xtr60's should be a major upgrade right? Upgrading the sub will be enough low end. And having also the high wide front R&L should negate needing the low narrow fronts to have bp feature.

If anything the biggest concern would be the xtr60's overpowering the rear DI bp surrounds and especially the high wide DI 5.5's making them almost a non factor. But until i can figure out how to get the speaker wires through the walls to add some xtr20's as side surrounds. (which is newr impossible as basement is finished with dry wall ceiling, not drop ceiling, and the right side of this room has no wall, so the speaker would have to go on the wall in hallway.

So at least for now, I have given up on adding any surrounds until I csn figure out a way to do floor or low wall side surrounds which as ive explained is not really possible in the room.

I need the xtr60's over 50's for 65-70" tv as the 60's are for 55" and up. And i guess an xtr50 center could end up back to slightly weak dialog when up against the xtr60's and the main thing I really need to upgrade is the center.

I have a family member to take the bp6's, mythos 7 center and sub so if after xtr60's i really miss the bp feature and bass of the bp6's i could always sell the xtr60's and go to bp8 or 10's but either way think im ready to move on from the bp6's.

Will use on floor stand for now but have the ability to wall mount later.

Only question is if I can get away with an xtr50 as the center With xtr60 L&R? And what would a good sub upgrade be from the Energy mini (I'll check on exact model).
post #23099 of 31269 Old 05-01-2011, 06:13 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

Only question is if I can get away with an xtr50 as the center With xtr60 L&R? And what woukd a good sub upgrade be from the Energy mini (I'll check on exact model).

i wouldn't use the xtr50 as a center for xtr60 mains, use a 3rd xtr60 as your center

as far as subwoofer, what is your budget? how big is your room? is the room open to other rooms ? is your preference music or home theater ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #23100 of 31269 Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Are the drivers in the SM450 the same as the BP7000/7001? I just received 8 from Baja's eBay auction for 6.5" 7000/7001 listing, and the labels on the boxes all say SM450 6.5" mid on them.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page