otk
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

should I not even be considering a super cube?

no

unless you can find a really good deal like 1/2 off retail or better

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23162 of 31460 Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_inc View Post

So about 500 for the pair of 7002 did you notice a extreme difference (was it worth the money) also did you do this your self or have a place I can ask about thanks

Vr3MxStyler2k3 from the Polk Audio Forum moddifed mine. I took them out and shipped them to him. I wasn't sure how to measure the coils, etc... I should have them back by Thursday so I'm not sure how they sound yet. I'm expecting a clearer smoother sound, but we'll see...
post #23163 of 31460 Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post

Spent the afternoon listening to my new BP8040s driven by a new denon 2311. Wonderfull.

Source is a newly assembled HTPC with Ceton tuner.

Christmas in May!!

Jim

Lucky! I like how the new series sound, their probably still just breaking in too! Enjoy!
post #23164 of 31460 Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Liked: 10
I plan to give them daily workouts! ;-)

Jim
post #23165 of 31460 Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

no

unless you can find a really good deal like 1/2 off retail or better

yeah can only get the $899 supercube II for around $630...so I guess not worth it.

I know most ppl dont care about looks for a sub and often its hidden, but mine is in a visible corner seen from various places including the upstairs hallway. I just want it to look half decent and be gloss black like current Energy sub (small but powerfull 6" M6 mini but not enough anymore) to match the XTR's

Man, looking at deftechs BP page including the CS-8080HD center, I'm already kind of regretting getting the XTR's. I'm sure they will be amazing and upgrade form the BP6's but just worried about losing the bass and bp feature.

I guess i had to go with the xtr 60 center to match the L&R. Just need a good good sub and I wont miss the bass then find a way to hide the wire and place some xtr20 bp surrounds and that will give me some more room filling bp for the surrounds where I like so I wont miss the bp6's at all.

so for the sub I'm kind of leaning towards the Rythmik F12SE after another member pointed it out, as it has nice looks, is one of the brands you recommended and should be up there in performance with the svs and epik empire I was interested in. I just wish it wasn't $100 more then the Epik.

edit: actually shipping is way more on the Epik bringing the total price closer to the Rythmik F12SE so I may pull the trigger. Just sucks that the Rythmik is $100 more just for the SE which only adds piano black finish which is what I'm looking for and some subs have that finish for no extra let alone $100 more :/

any other subs I should consider?
post #23166 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15.html

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

dollar for dollar, internet direct outperforms store bought subs in every way

those 3 subs would walk all over any of the supercubes except for the $3000 supercube Trinity

you may also wish to check out SVS & elemental designs

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_41

otk,

I'm Actually liking the offerings by Elemental Designs. I seem to be preferring a sealed cube and so they have the A3s-250, A5s-300, and A7s-450.

Rythmik charged $50 extra for the silver cone while the A3 and A7 seem to come with it. Shame the A5 doesn't because that would be the size to get at 15" cubed. its not much bigger then the 14" A3 though I guess.

Elemental are $170 extra for gloss black but the other wood finishes are $200 plus shipping is free so I can almost get the 22" cubed A7s-450 for around the same price as the Rythmik F12se or less.

do I need the EQ for $85 extra?
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=640

I guess without it you wont be able to adjust it really? so its "for those who already have an EQ in their system" as it says
http://www.edesignaudio.com/eQ.html

the A5s-300 would probably be the better medium size but it doesn't have the silver cone like hte A3 and A7 plus the A3 and A5 say they are not in stock till June and I need it before that so was just going to go with the A7 but now I see when I add it to cart it says "Products marked with *** dont exist in desired quantity in our stock.
You can buy them anyway and check the quantity we have in stock for immediate deliver in the checkout process."

but I only added 1 so I guess they dont have the A7 in stock either or just not the color I picked, who knows.

once I contact them and get it sorted, do you think the A7s-450 is a good choice. its a little big a 22" but while tempted to save $50 per sub by getting 2 in which case i could go with the smaller A3 or A5, I really dont have a good space for a second and if going with one the bigger would be better I guess.

If I got 2 I would probably get 2 A3s-250's though.

(ps. i know this non DT sub talk seems off topic for this thread but this sub recommendation is to go with Mythos XTR-60's lcr, DI 5.5 high wide lr's and di 5.5 bp surrounds)

edit: saw a good review by someone on AVS saying that one A7s-450 was better then 2 MFW-15's (not sure what manufac that is) but I think the A7s-450 is way too big and heavy for what I'm looking for. The A5s-300 would be better if came with the silver cone and more importantly was actually in stock.
post #23167 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

what about a Velodyne microvee?
http://www.velodyne.com/vproducts/se...?seriesid=1214

I know with Velodyne and REL I'm getting into expensive territory but I'm loving the REL T series
http://www.rel.net/index2.htm

probably the middle T2 size. the looks of it would go really well with my BDI stand/cabinet and I like how it elevates off the floor a little so all the bass doesnt' just go into the carpet.
post #23168 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

otk,

I'm Actually liking the offerings by Elemental Designs. I seem to be preferring a sealed cube and so they have the A3s-250, A5s-300, and A7s-450.

Rythmik charged $50 extra for the silver cone while the A3 and A7 seem to come with it. Shame the A5 doesn't because that would be the size to get at 15" cubed. its not much bigger then the 14" A3 though I guess.

Elemental are $170 extra for gloss black but the other wood finishes are $200 plus shipping is free so I can almost get the 22" cubed A7s-450 for around the same price as the Rythmik F12se or less.

do I need the EQ for $85 extra?
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=640

I guess without it you wont be able to adjust it really? so its "for those who already have an EQ in their system" as it says
http://www.edesignaudio.com/eQ.html

the A5s-300 would probably be the better medium size but it doesn't have the silver cone like hte A3 and A7 plus the A3 and A5 say they are not in stock till June and I need it before that so was just going to go with the A7 but now I see when I add it to cart it says "Products marked with *** dont exist in desired quantity in our stock.
You can buy them anyway and check the quantity we have in stock for immediate deliver in the checkout process."

but I only added 1 so I guess they dont have the A7 in stock either or just not the color I picked, who knows.

once I contact them and get it sorted, do you think the A7s-450 is a good choice. its a little big a 22" but while tempted to save $50 per sub by getting 2 in which case i could go with the smaller A3 or A5, I really dont have a good space for a second and if going with one the bigger would be better I guess.

If I got 2 I would probably get 2 A3s-250's though.

(ps. i know this non DT sub talk seems off topic for this thread but this sub recommendation is to go with Mythos XTR-60's lcr, DI 5.5 high wide lr's and di 5.5 bp surrounds)

edit: saw a good review by someone on AVS saying that one A7s-450 was better then 2 MFW-15's (not sure what manufac that is) but I think the A7s-450 is way too big and heavy for what I'm looking for. The A5s-300 would be better if came with the silver cone and more importantly was actually in stock.

the eD A7s-450 is a very well regarded subwoofer

you don't "need" the EQ unless you plan on getting an SPL meter and taking measurements

it allows you to cut a peak or boost a small dip in response. this will all be room dependent, every room is different as far as acoustics go

it can also allow you to boost the bottom end to get the sub to go a little lower. sealed subs have a very gentle 12db per octave roll-off and with EQ you can get the sub to extend down very low and since the A7s-450 has a massive 18" driver and 1300 watt amp, it can handle it easily

if you don't "need' to boost the bottom end, you can use the EQ to adjust 2 peaks or dips

you could always add it later. your receiver, if it's modern probably has some type of auto EQ or Audyssey built-in that will do some smoothing of the response

some people using the latest and best Audyssey proccessing don't use any other EQ at all on their subs. some do. sometimes it's good to tame a nasty peak with external EQ so that Audyssey has less work to do

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #23169 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what about a Velodyne microvee?
http://www.velodyne.com/vproducts/se...?seriesid=1214

I know with Velodyne and REL I'm getting into expensive territory but I'm loving the REL T series
http://www.rel.net/index2.htm

probably the middle T2 size. the looks of it would go really well with my BDI stand/cabinet and I like how it elevates off the floor a little so all the bass doesnt' just go into the carpet.

again, Velodyne will fall into the over-priced store bought category. if you can get a great deal on it, go for it as long as it's got 12" or larger driver

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #23170 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just joined the Def Tech fraternity with a clr 2002 center, 350's R/L, pro cinema 1000's as surrounds.
Sounds great. The 2002 is HUGE... What a beast. Audyssey on a Denon 1911 set them up as small with an 80 crossover.

I did already have a decent sub.
Any tips for gettin the most out of my set up?

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #23171 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Liked: 26
Hi Guys,

I am considering to upgrade my ProSub 800 (I have SM 450s in the front and BP1.2x as surrounds). The sub will need to go under a small table (with four thin legs and the sub output is not blocked in any way) so I am limited by the dimensions (W x H x D must be under 17.5 x 20.5 x 19). The budget is around $500. The usage is 90% HT and 10% music.

I initially considered HSU VTF2 MK3 but it's a bit too tall.

After browsing the forums and reading reviews, the following subs seems to meet my requirements:

1) Epik Legend
2) Elemental Designs A5s - 300
3) Emotiva Ultra Sub 12

On the paper, legend seems to be superior than the other two.

I will appreciate your feedback and advise!
post #23172 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

otk mentioned the Rythmik FV15 and now previous post the F12. now that you mentioned the F12se in particular I do like the look (partial to gloss black in general and to go with the xtr-60's) and size of it.

in between that and the epik empire now I think but looks the epik empire is still $100 cheaper then the Rythmik F12se I just wish the Epik Empire was gloss black, it just says its high quality black laminate finish and it looks matte. shipping is $140 for the Epik though, ugh.

should I not even be considering a super cube? I mean I had one bad experience turn me off but I can good prices on diff DT subs and a DT subwill go best with all the other speakers being DT wont they? or does sub not matter as much. I'd probably be happy with a supercube 2

I currently have a SVS PB12-plus/2 and am considering adding a rythmik F12 or svs SB12 to smooth out the bass in my room. I am using an SVS AS EQ-1 for EQ'ing and think either would blend nicely. My room is not very big at 14' X 14' with 9' ceiling and one open wall to the kitchen and dining room.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #23173 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Liked: 26
BTW HSU VTF-1 also meets the dimension / budget constraints but it does not seem comparable to the other options (please let me know if I am wrong here).
post #23174 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM

What should I check before before buying used speakers. I have found a pair that may be in rough condition for $550. Can I buy replacement speakers for the BP2000? Will the dent in the center cone be a problem?
Here is his reply

They are the 300w and the socks have been removed to show the speakers. There are a couple scuffs n dents in the end caps and one of the subs has a dent in the center cone but both still sound great....I'll take some close up pics when I get home from work n send them to you. Overall, they are in good condition.....since you are coming from out of state, I would take 550 for the tower speakers
post #23175 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownalcohol View Post

What should I check before before buying used speakers. I have found a pair that may be in rough condition for $550. Can I buy replacement speakers for the BP2000? Will the dent in the center cone be a problem?
Here is his reply

They are the 300w and the socks have been removed to show the speakers. There are a couple scuffs n dents in the end caps and one of the subs has a dent in the center cone but both still sound great....I'll take some close up pics when I get home from work n send them to you. Overall, they are in good condition.....since you are coming from out of state, I would take 550 for the tower speakers

End caps and socks are very hard to come by, as well as the 120v amps. The drivers and tweeters are available from baja. 550 is a good price if both are in working order.

HTPCat

post #23176 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Here is his reply

They may be better than you think - fingers crossed.

End caps and socks are near impossible to find - however, socks can be easily made via acoustic transparent fabrics available online. End/top caps can be buffed out if not too bad, and/or any auto body shop could make them look pristine for probably around an hour labor etc.
The dent in the subwoofer is most likely superficial. However, I have pulled many out with some good sticky tape etc.

I'm not sure if $550 is much less than advertised yet if standing there he may go lower etc. All of the above may be doable yet costs money and time thus a bit off a decent price is understandable. I can say that the cheapest I have seen in my neck of the woods was $600. So if functional, and cosmetically "OK," you are in the ballpark.

Love DIY
post #23177 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

End caps and socks are very hard to come by, as well as the 120v amps. The drivers and tweeters are available from baja. 550 is a good price if both are in working order.

I only see the 500w 15" sub for the "TL" on ebay
post #23178 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Need opinion on which would be the better speaker upgrade from current setup (C: CLR 3000, L/R: BP7002, Rear: BPX).
1) Buying a high end sub, Velodyne dd-12 plus (no opinions on actual sub plz, as it is awesome)
or
2) Buying 2 used BP 7000sc (pics look good and I'm gonna hear them soon) and 2 new BPVX.

Which option would add more sound, feeling, prescense to my room? (room is 15x12x8)
I would use the supercubes in the 7000s for LFE casue I would have spent my sub fund on the towers, so how would the 7000's subs fair on their own without additional seperate sub(s)?
I use my 7002 for listening to music in stereo, would the 7000s do this better? Could they be too bassy?
Mind you, that the velodyne is awesome and hits 17hz dead on and can auto cal to any room, and has bass setting galore...

Thanx

PS: Anyone know of a sure fire way to test used speakers?

Panasonic 65VT30 (calibrated by D-Nice) : Oppo 93 : Denon 4311CI : Emotiva XPA-5
Speakers - Definitive Technology BP7000sc (mains) CLR 3000 (center) BPVX (surround)
post #23179 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I only see the 500w 15" sub for the "TL" on ebay

Right here at baja are the mids not sure if they currently have the subwoofer but I know they do from time to time http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

HTPCat

post #23180 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the eD A7s-450 is a very well regarded subwoofer

you don't "need" the EQ unless you plan on getting an SPL meter and taking measurements

it allows you to cut a peak or boost a small dip in response. this will all be room dependent, every room is different as far as acoustics go

it can also allow you to boost the bottom end to get the sub to go a little lower. sealed subs have a very gentle 12db per octave roll-off and with EQ you can get the sub to extend down very low and since the A7s-450 has a massive 18" driver and 1300 watt amp, it can handle it easily

if you don't "need' to boost the bottom end, you can use the EQ to adjust 2 peaks or dips

you could always add it later. your receiver, if it's modern probably has some type of auto EQ or Audyssey built-in that will do some smoothing of the response

some people using the latest and best Audyssey proccessing don't use any other EQ at all on their subs. some do. sometimes it's good to tame a nasty peak with external EQ so that Audyssey has less work to do

Thanks for this explanation and your advice on subs. The REL T-series (1,2,or 3) just had the looks with the silver metal feet raising it off the ground which I thought goes well with my bdi stand amd thst raising it off the carpet woukd be good. and the round grill cover looks nice. And comes in white which woukd work nice and remind me of my old deftech sub. Still thinking of the the REL T series and its actually cheaper then the rythmik but I guess it wont be as good and one review i saw of it was good but not great.

So pretty much I'm between the Rythmik f12se and the eD A5s-300. The latter being half the price. It just doesnt have the direct servo technology.

There are onky a few subs that are direct servo and thry are all expensive, more then the rythmik from what I heard so at keast there is a reason behind the rythmiks price.

While complaining about the f12se price, I was almost considering the even more expensive f15hp se which would probably be all the sub Id ever need not thst its the biggest rythmik but its probably a little big for my space and I probabky dont need the HighPower feature which will just wake up the house even more from a family room open to upstairs where 2 kods and a wife are often sleeping when I watch and as it is with the 6" energy sub and especially the DT di bp in walls. Watching episodes of "The Pacific" my wife thoughg planes were flying through our house.

Just wish I could see the eD A5s-300 gloss black, to see if the finish compares to the rythmik. It seems to have very similar style so could be mistsken for one look wise especially if the eD gloss black is as quality as the rythmik. Soundwise probably woukdnt be as good but I wonder if I tried them both in my setup back to back, would I really notice a big difference.

How much of an impact is the direct servo feature?
post #23181 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

Hi Guys,

I am considering to upgrade my ProSub 800 (I have SM 450s in the front and BP1.2x as surrounds). The sub will need to go under a small table (with four thin legs and the sub output is not blocked in any way) so I am limited by the dimensions (W x H x D must be under 17.5 x 20.5 x 19). The budget is around $500. The usage is 90% HT and 10% music.

I initially considered HSU VTF2 MK3 but it's a bit too tall.

After browsing the forums and reading reviews, the following subs seems to meet my requirements:

1) Epik Legend
2) Elemental Designs A5s - 300
3) Emotiva Ultra Sub 12

On the paper, legend seems to be superior than the other two.

I will appreciate your feedback and advise!

I can vouch for the Legend. I got one recently. Still haven't gotten it fully broken in yet but it sounds amazing. The bass is very tight and accurate.
post #23182 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete View Post

Just joined the Def Tech fraternity with a clr 2002 center, 350's R/L, pro cinema 1000's as surrounds.
Sounds great. The 2002 is HUGE... What a beast. Audyssey on a Denon 1911 set them up as small with an 80 crossover.

I did already have a decent sub.
Any tips for gettin the most out of my set up?

Congrats on the new gear! I recently got a 2002 as well. You are so right. I was immediately struck by the sheer size and weight of the 2002. Of course I'm a newb when it comes to quality speakers. I'm jumping on board though. Got a 2002 center, BP2X surrounds and soon will have a pair of BP10B mains. Got an Epik Legend sub. I'm in heaven. When I get my BP10s I'll post pics and my thoughts on the total Def Tech experience.
post #23183 of 31460 Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa455 View Post

Congrats on the new gear! I recently got a 2002 as well. You are so right. I was immediately struck by the sheer size and weight of the 2002. Of course I'm a newb when it comes to quality speakers. I'm jumping on board though. Got a 2002 center, BP2X surrounds and soon will have a pair of BP10B mains. Got an Epik Legend sub. I'm in heaven. When I get my BP10s I'll post pics and my thoughts on the total Def Tech experience.

Very nice setup you are putting together. You are going to be like a kid on Christmas morning.......
post #23184 of 31460 Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=pwz1983;20394650]Need opinion on which would be the better speaker upgrade from current setup (C: CLR 3000, L/R: BP7002, Rear: BPX).
1) Buying a high end sub, Velodyne dd-12 plus (no opinions on actual sub plz, as it is awesome)
or
2) Buying 2 used BP 7000sc (pics look good and I'm gonna hear them soon) and 2 new BPVX.

Which option would add more sound, feeling, prescense to my room? (room is 15x12x8)
I would use the supercubes in the 7000s for LFE casue I would have spent my sub fund on the towers, so how would the 7000's subs fair on their own without additional seperate sub(s)?
QUOTE]

Me personally would go for the 7000SC's/BPVX's. Not sure what your plans are yet you could run the 7002's as side surrounds and your BPX's for rears and even skip the BPVX's. Also, you have a small room thus floor space is at a premium - you could run the BPVX's for sides and the BPX's for rears. Not dealing with a large dedicated sub/placement will be a bonus.

Big picture, tons of subs out there - you can always add a sub etc. But a deal on a pair of 7000s doesn't come along often and in my opinion getting the best mains first is more important than a dedicated sub.

And, considering your basically getting two DT Reference Subs with the 7000's, I doubt the LFE/Bass performance will disappoint one bit.

Let us know which road you take.

Love DIY
post #23185 of 31460 Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Just FYI: I ordered a pair of new socks direct from DT about a year for my BP 2000's...worked great.

A bit of advice on the replacement of them: PULL THE NEW SOCKS TIGHT INTO PLACE ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP, THEN STAPLE THE GASKET INTO PLACE AT THE AMP CUTOUT OVER THE SOCK, THEN CUT AWAY THE EXCESS.

I capped the heck out of the above because many seem to cut the fabric FIRST and then staple it into place which can become a completely unnecessary nightmare.

STAPLE, then CUT!!!

good luck,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #23186 of 31460 Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks for this explanation and your advice on subs. The REL T-series (1,2,or 3) just had the looks with the silver metal feet raising it off the ground which I thought goes well with my bdi stand amd thst raising it off the carpet woukd be good. and the round grill cover looks nice. And comes in white which woukd work nice and remind me of my old deftech sub. Still thinking of the the REL T series and its actually cheaper then the rythmik but I guess it wont be as good and one review i saw of it was good but not great.

So pretty much I'm between the Rythmik f12se and the eD A5s-300. The latter being half the price. It just doesnt have the direct servo technology.

There are onky a few subs that are direct servo and thry are all expensive, more then the rythmik from what I heard so at keast there is a reason behind the rythmiks price.

While complaining about the f12se price, I was almost considering the even more expensive f15hp se which would probably be all the sub Id ever need not thst its the biggest rythmik but its probably a little big for my space and I probabky dont need the HighPower feature which will just wake up the house even more from a family room open to upstairs where 2 kods and a wife are often sleeping when I watch and as it is with the 6" energy sub and especially the DT di bp in walls. Watching episodes of "The Pacific" my wife thoughg planes were flying through our house.

Just wish I could see the eD A5s-300 gloss black, to see if the finish compares to the rythmik. It seems to have very similar style so could be mistsken for one look wise especially if the eD gloss black is as quality as the rythmik. Soundwise probably woukdnt be as good but I wonder if I tried them both in my setup back to back, would I really notice a big difference.

How much of an impact is the direct servo feature?

I was in the same boat as you and was looking at subs from eD, SVS, etc. I actually ordered a SVS PB12-NSD. Unfortunately, the sub just wasn't what I was looking for in terms of music perf and that tight "punch" in movies. After spending hours in the sub forum here, I stumbled across Rythmik. I posted a ton of questions in there and was blown away to see Brian (owner) responding at length to each question. I opted to spend the money and pickup a F12 (black with black cone). Absolutely loved the F12SE finish, but thought the wife was going to shoot me for spending that much money on a sub. LOL

The Rythmik F12 (w/PEQ) has exceeded all my expectations and is the best piece of audio equipment I've owned. The only regret I have is not spending the extra cash for the piano black finish on the F12SE. Maybe I can pull a fast one and swap it out when the wife isn't looking. ;D

Dive into the Rythmik forum and google the subs to dig up other reviews. I'm positive you'll be blown away by the performance of the sub. Direct-Servo and incredible build quality.
post #23187 of 31460 Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Is it okay to mix and match the older models with newer ones and still get timbre matching?

I know the older ones all used basically the same drivers and the newer ones have changed a little.

Ex. using a 8000 series center channel with the 2000 series towers and BP2x surrounds.
post #23188 of 31460 Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesed View Post

Is it okay to mix and match the older models with newer ones and still get timbre matching?

I know the older ones all used basically the same drivers and the newer ones have changed a little.

Ex. using a 8000 series center channel with the 2000 series towers and BP2x surrounds.

Using the older and/or newer series for sides/surround duty would probably be fine yet I don't think you would want to mix a new/8000 series center with older L/R mains etc. I have no personally experience or data to back this up other than reading about the driver stats etc. If my memory is right I also believe one member phoned/asked DT directly and they did not recommend mixing the front three as well.

Love DIY
post #23189 of 31460 Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 AM

[quote=KJSmitty;20396257]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwz1983 View Post

Need opinion on which would be the better speaker upgrade from current setup (C: CLR 3000, L/R: BP7002, Rear: BPX).
or

QUOTE]

Me personally would go for the 7000SC's/BPVX's. Not sure what your plans are yet you could run the 7002's as side surrounds and your BPX's for rears and even skip the BPVX's. Also, you have a small room thus floor space is at a premium - you could run the BPVX's for sides and the BPX's for rears. Not dealing with a large dedicated sub/placement will be a bonus.

Big picture, tons of subs out there - you can always add a sub etc. But a deal on a pair of 7000s doesn't come along often and in my opinion getting the best mains first is more important than a dedicated sub.

And, considering your basically getting two DT Reference Subs with the 7000's, I doubt the LFE/Bass performance will disappoint one bit.

Let us know which road you take.

I would sell the 7002s and bpx. I have no room for that many speakers.
And I am leaning on buying the 7000s cause they are rare. Anyone know how I should test used speakers? What flaws I should look for?

So the subs in the towers should be plenty for the most part? It looks like the guys using seperates with the 7000s have much larger rooms than me.
Do 7000 owner like how 2ch music sounds?
Thanx

Panasonic 65VT30 (calibrated by D-Nice) : Oppo 93 : Denon 4311CI : Emotiva XPA-5
Speakers - Definitive Technology BP7000sc (mains) CLR 3000 (center) BPVX (surround)
post #23190 of 31460 Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Just want to get opinions from you guys.

Here's my setup. 8080 towers up front, 8080 center, four 8080 surrounds and a Trinity sub. I'm driving it all with a Denon AVR and the front three channels are being driven by three Outlaw monoblock amps. And I'm EQing the bass with the SVS-EQ1. Speaker wire only to 8080s, crossing over at 60hz.

Sounds great. But, in true upgrade-itis form, I'm wanting more bass. Not louder, not boomier, of course but more of the chest thump. My room is pretty big. 26'x14'x9', plus it's open at the rear left corner to the vaulted foyer and open at the front left corner to the fairly large kitchen. That's a lot of air. And as potent as the Trinity is, I'm wondering if a second one of those bad boys would really get that air moving.

What do you guys think? Worth adding a second Trinity (assuming I can get it for about half of retail)?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page