post #23401 of 31567 Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfrandad View Post

I almost never post here but I am always interested in where the conversation goes. Anyway, I have had a problem with room acoustics that will plague me until I figure out how to correct it; but what I wanted to share is that I have finally figured out how to get some really good sound coming out of my BP2002TLs. I have disengaged Audyssey Dynamic EQ on my Denon 3808 and the soundstage just ripped open! These things are singing right along with the PB 13 (all of which I bought used and in great shape) There is clarity and depth without that damn processing.
Now if I could only fix the room...
later- Jmo

I don't think my 2808 has dynamic EQ, but Audyssey sounds much better when enabled after I upgraded the caps etc on the crossovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23402 of 31567 Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I almost never post here but I am always interested in where the conversation goes. Anyway, I have had a problem with room acoustics that will plague me until I figure out how to correct it; but what I wanted to share is that I have finally figured out how to get some really good sound coming out of my BP2002TLs. I have disengaged Audyssey Dynamic EQ on my Denon 3808 and the soundstage just ripped open! These things are singing right along with the PB 13 (all of which I bought used and in great shape) There is clarity and depth without that damn processing.
later- Jmo

Thanks for posting your findings - I found similar results as you. After much experimentation and running Audyssey setup more times that I can count, I finally set my 1611 to MultiEQ Bypass L/R for my BP2000s and it is night and day - from thin / hollow with minimal bass to full and punchy - like a different set of speakers.

I do like the Audyssey Dynamic Volume feature though - brings out the full range at lower volume levels.

post #23403 of 31567 Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetwinofpat View Post

anybody know a good place to buy def teks....thanks

For the most part unless you want to pay MSRP online, you will have to look at either a local dealer or eBay. A while back I purchased brand new Definitive Studio Monitor 350's there for a great price. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 450's since the same seller also has them and has a really good deal on them right now.
post #23404 of 31567 Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
r0n

This should be an easy question for all the Definitive owners =).

I have a Procenter 2000 center channel. I'm looking for front tower speakers to match my center channel. They have to be towers but doesn't have to be Definitive as long they work well / match with the center channel.

I'm on a budget so I'll probably be getting them used. I'm looking for best bang for the money. They will be mainly be used for home theater and rarely for music.

Btw feel free to PM if you have matching tower speakers forsale .

Thanks in advance.
post #23405 of 31567 Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM

I recently purchased a set of 8040ST's and CS8040 as well as a pair of Pro Monitor 1000's for surround. Does anyone have thoughts on whether I should actually replace the Pro Monitor 1000's with the SR-8040BP's? Any pros or cons to consider?

Thanks in advance...
post #23406 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n View Post

This should be an easy question for all the Definitive owners =).

I have a Procenter 2000 center channel. I'm looking for front tower speakers to match my center channel. They have to be towers but doesn't have to be Definitive as long they work well / match with the center channel.

I'm on a budget so I'll probably be getting them used. I'm looking for best bang for the money. They will be mainly be used for home theater and rarely for music.

Btw feel free to PM if you have matching tower speakers forsale .

Thanks in advance.

http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/src...finitive&B1=go

post #23407 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynsky View Post

I recently purchased a set of 8040ST's and CS8040 as well as a pair of Pro Monitor 1000's for surround. Does anyone have thoughts on whether I should actually replace the Pro Monitor 1000's with the SR-8040BP's? Any pros or cons to consider?

Thanks in advance...

the SR-8040BP's are bi-polar, the pro monitor's are not

to borrow some words from def tech

Quote:

Definitive’s SR-8040HD is a bipolar system containing two complete full-range speaker systems, one on each side of the cabinet. Bipolar radiation spreads the surround signals evenly throughout your room for a more enveloping sense of you-are-there realism than could be achieved with conventional forward-firing speakers.

you might have to use a higher crossover but other than that, you "should" get a more enjoyable surround experience out of them if your system is 5.1 (or if you're going to use them as side surrounds in a 7.1 system)

if these are for the rear speakers in a 7.1 system, stick with the pro monitors

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23408 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:

later- Jmo

I'll try that on my onkyo and 2000tl's when I get home.
post #23409 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

is anyone here using their BPVX's set to "large" ?

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23410 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

Thanks for the info on the BP20's...

Although i never actually ran my vx's large (manually adjust to 70 I think) audyssey ALWAYS set them as large. Which doesn't exactly answer your question but might lend at least some evidence to suggest that they might be flat (-3db) into the 20's with a good power supply.
post #23411 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yes-On my surround channels that also have Martin Logan Dynamo subs running on each. My rear surround BPVX's are set to small however. That's the way my Yamaha YPAO see's both as well.
post #23412 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 07:32 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Yes-On my surround channels that also have Martin Logan Dynamo subs running on each. My rear surround BPVX's are set to small however. That's the way my Yamaha YPAO see's both as well.

so your side BPVX's are set to large but they have a subwoofer on each ?

and your rear BPVX's are set to small ? what crossover point do you use ?

by the way, which Dynamo model are you using ?

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #23413 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

later- Jmo

I had the same issue with my 7001's and my first iteration of Audyssey. I could never get my system to sound good with Audyssey, and I was convinced that Audyssey and bipolar didn't mix, so I gave up on it. As I learned later, there were two problems. The most important problem was with the mic that shipped with my receiver, which apparently wasn't calibrated correctly and wasn't sensitive enough to do the job. Those mics are no longer used.

The second problem was that I didn't spend enough time learning the proper procedure for setting up Audyssey. I now use a mic stand and follow the recommend procedures to the letter.

This setup guide helped me out immensely...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

I am now an Audyssey convert. My system sounds better than ever in a large and difficult acoustical space. I use dynamic volume on the "light" setting with the offset at (-10) for normal TV and (0) for movies.

The only tweaking that I have done after running Audyssey is raising the AVR xover settings to better take advantage of my sub and take some of the load off of the amps in the AVR.

You mention that you need to "fix the room". That is what Audyssey and other "room correction software" is supposed to do.

There are four consumer implementations of Audyssey...Audyssey 2EQ, MultEQ, MultEQ XT or MultEQ XT32. The first two were rather weak. The last two, XT and XT32 are much more powerful than the early implementations. When I moved from MultEQ to XT, it made a huge difference with my system. Someday, I hope to have XT32 or whatever comes next, as XT32 uses many more filters for improving bass response.

Your Denon uses the same Audyssey as my Onkyo.

Here are the different implementations of Audyssey...

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/m...lteq-solutions

I'm not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong. Your preferences and mine may be totally different.

I do know that I once thought that Audyssey was a waste with my bipolars. I have changed my mind completely on that issue. There is simply no comparison between what my system sounds like with and without Audyssey engaged. I never disengage Audyssey.
post #23414 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Audyssey with & without

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmDenKL4U0

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #23415 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so your side BPVX's are set to large but they have a subwoofer on each ?

and your rear BPVX's are set to small ? what crossover point do you use ?

by the way, which Dynamo model are you using ?

Running the side BPVX surrounds large with the speaker wire running straight to the speakers and the pre outs for the surround L&R from my receiver to the L&R ML Dynamo subs. (Located in the room's rear corners/rear (main) seating/riser area) Running the rear surround BPVX's small and crossing them over at 80hz. The rear surrounds are the only speakers running small in the entire set up with the exception of the effects speakers which you have now choice one way or the other with DSP Yamaha's processing anyway. I use a sub with my CLR3000 center and run it large as well.
post #23416 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 10:50 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Running the side BPVX surrounds large with the speaker wire running straight to the speakers and the pre outs for the surround L&R from my receiver to the L&R ML Dynamo subs.

how do you keep the really low stuff out of the side BPVX's ?

i guess you don't ?

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #23417 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how do you keep the really low stuff out of the side BPVX's ?

i guess you don't ?

I was concerned about that when I set up the system and was considering putting bass blockers inline to them-In real world use it doesn't seem to be an issue however. It's working extremely well and I've never heard anything that sounds like they're being over driven. The subs work really well in the surround channels-It's almost like having transducers in our HT recliners since they are on the riser that the subs are sitting on.
post #23418 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

how do you keep the really low stuff out of the side BPVX's ??

He just mounted them higher up on the wall.

I'm curious how the additional/dedicated "center" sub facilitates the CLR3000. Never heard anyone doing that with a 3000 etc. Cool

Love DIY
post #23419 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 11:28 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was concerned about that when I set up the system and was considering putting bass blockers inline to them-In real world use it doesn't seem to be an issue however. It's working extremely well and I've never heard anything that sounds like they're being over driven. The subs work really well in the surround channels-It's almost like having transducers in our HT recliners since they are on the riser that the subs are sitting on.

yes i love having subs on the surrounds

too bad your surround subs don't have speaker level in/outs but if you're not having any issues, that's great

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #23420 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

He just mounted them higher up on the wall.

I'm curious how the additional/dedicated "center" sub facilitates the CLR3000. Never heard anyone doing that with a 3000 etc. Cool

LOL

it should be easy. once you set the level on the 3000 it should behave like any other speaker

or are you asking if he's doing the same thing as the BPVX and running the 3000 large with speaker wire direct and running the subwoofer along with it from the center pre out

i ran a subwoofer with my clr2000 once but i used the high-level speaker wire in/outs and utilized the subwoofers low-pass crossover

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #23421 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL

or are you asking if he's doing the same thing as the BPVX and running the 3000 large with speaker wire direct and running the subwoofer along with it from the center pre out

Yep - sounds like he is running an additional sub with the 3000. Just curious if there was even more low freq's (beneficial) to be had out of the center channel that the 3000 wasn't managing. If so then that definitely points to something like you mentioned: a CLR2000 and sub combo etc having the upper hand, both functionally and possibly cost. Several here have definitely gone that route.

Slowly but surely I am getting talked into adding dedicated subs to my HT.....

Cheers

Love DIY
post #23422 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes i love having subs on the surrounds

too bad your surround subs don't have speaker level in/outs but if you're not having any issues, that's great

The subs do have speaker level inputs, however they have no speaker level outputs. Also, I ran subwoofer cable to the rear L&R sides of the room when the house was being built 15 years ago-So I felt like I should use them for this so I could say I had some kind of special insight about future tech back in 1996 and impress everybody.
As far as the center channel-I'm basically doing the same thing with my CLR3000 running large with speaker wire and an older Infinity SSW210 sub running line level from my receiver. Interestingly the Yamaha YPAO picks up both the center and side surround channels as large with the subs powered up, and small if they are off.
post #23423 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as the center channel-I'm basically doing the same thing with my CLR3000 running large with speaker wire and an older Infinity SSW210 sub running line level from my receiver. Interestingly the Yamaha YPAO picks up both the center and side surround channels as large with the subs powered up, and small if they are off.

YPAO always tells me my CLR3000 is reversed, IE speaker wires connected wrong etc. If I unplug the 3000 power cord then all is normal.. I've read where others have had the same. Obviously I checked all of my own wiring...

Love DIY
post #23424 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

YPAO always tells me my CLR3000 is reversed, IE speaker wires connected wrong etc. If I unplug the 3000 power cord then all is normal.. I've read where others have had the same. Obviously I checked all of my own wiring...

I've had that issue as well. The last time I ran the program after installing my AT screen, only the rear surrounds showed as being reversed. I guess firing through a screen made a difference in what the YPAO mike picked up in that respect.
post #23425 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Just wanted to share a special find on Ebay. I won a bid for the
Definitive DR -7 bookshelf speaker, that is from 1991-1994. Audio
review flags it as a floorstander - it is a bookshelf.
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/defin...6_1594crx.aspx
I won the bid for $15.50 - the cabinet is still in fairly good shape and
all the drivers work - no woofer glue problem. I use to own the little
Celsius speaker, and the current SM350. I have always liked the Direct
Radiating speakers better. This speaker has a soft dome tweeter and
a poly woofer. This thing is still the real deal - and I prefer it over the
SM 350 ( which is a good one). The soft dome tweeter and the bass is
the key to the sound. The bass is tight and tuneful, with no one note
boom. The imaging is sharp, and the sound stage is forward and wide.
The tweeter and woofer seem more balanced than the SM 350. Voices
are clean, clear and realistic - the midrange has good resolution. I have
owned the PSB Image, NHT Classic Two, Paradigm Mini Monitor and the
Monitor, plus mid level JBL > the DR-7 stands ahead to me. The cabinet
is built strong and the crossover is right on. If you can find this around
Ebay or a yard sale or thrift shop - then go for it.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #23426 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Got mine at 50hz which is what audyssey selected. I used a tripod to put the mike at ear height and am very satisfied with the results. The only settings I changed were the 7001/3000 audyssey set to large, I set them at 40hz.

post #23427 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:

the SR-8040BP's are bi-polar, the pro monitor's are not

to borrow some words from def tech

you might have to use a higher crossover but other than that, you "should" get a more enjoyable surround experience out of them if your system is 5.1 (or if you're going to use them as side surrounds in a 7.1 system)

if these are for the rear speakers in a 7.1 system, stick with the pro monitors

Thanks for the reply otk. I just want to make sure I heard you right. So you're saying that for a 5.1 system you recommend the SR-8040BP's but for a 7.1 system you feel the Pro Monitor 1000's are a better fit correct?
post #23428 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynsky View Post
Thanks for the reply otk. I just want to make sure I heard you right. So you're saying that for a 5.1 system you recommend the SR-8040BP's but for a 7.1 system you feel the Pro Monitor 1000's are a better fit correct?
is a 7.1 system, i would still recommend the SR-8040BP's as side surrounds and use the pro monitors as rear surrounds

for 5.1 i would use the SR-8040BP's

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #23429 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbassinger View Post
I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of bp7001s for a screaming deal. I currently have 7002s for both front and rear with a 3000 center. Should I swap out the fronts with the 7001s and get rid of the 7002s or keep my matched set? Is there that big of a difference between the two to justify swapping them out? What would be a fair price for the 7001s if I decide to sell them? I don't like people coming to the house, but wouldn't mind meeting them somewhere, so it would basicaly be sight unseen, or I guess sound-unheard would be the correct statement. So the price would have to reflect that point. I saw a fair price above for 7002s would be around 900-1000 unheard.
bump
post #23430 of 31567 Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbassinger

bump
7002 vise 7001s.......

I would probably seriously consider it if it really is a screaming deal.

You get the larger drivers matching your 3000, and better subs. Plus, if a great deal you could turn around and sell a pair of 7002s and consider it a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

Then again, if money is tight and the time it would take the 7002s to sell and/or the difference in price is needed elsewhere, two pairs of 7002s is definitely nothing to sneeze at and a highly desired/regarded system!

Cheers

Love DIY
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page