Definitive Owners Thread - Page 834 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #24991 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Eric,

I'm not sure if your post was a reply to g_bart or both of us but I had a couple questions.

In case you haven't seen what I will(should have the system tomorrow) be setting up below is the list.

Def tech:
8040 towers
8040 center
8040 surrounds
AVR-2112CI

So when using the meter I only adjust the volume level to get 75db on the front left speaker and only the trim level on the rest to get 75db?

You also recommend setting all speakers to small. Would this be the case with my towers as well?

Thx,
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24992 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkimberly View Post

Eric,

I'm not sure if your post was a reply to g_bart or both of us but I had a couple questions.

In case you haven't seen what I will(should have the system tomorrow) be setting up below is the list.

Def tech:
8040 towers
8040 center
8040 surrounds
AVR-2112CI

So when using the meter I only adjust the volume level to get 75db on the front left speaker and only the trim level on the rest to get 75db?

You also recommend setting all speakers to small. Would this be the case with my towers as well?

Thx,
Bryan

Correct. With you RS SPL set to Slow and C Weighting, set the master volume so the Front Left Speaker's tone is at 75dbl. Next, set the test tone for Center and adjust the TRIM (-12 to +12 dbls) so that it too is at 75dbl. Repeat this for all speakers, including Subwoofer.

You may want to set your center speaker for 78dbl and your subwoofer as well at 78dbl as this will make dialog easier to hear and add more bass to the overall sound.

Set your speakers to small. However, since you are using speakers that can handle low frequencies, I would set your Crossover to 60 for your Front Left and Right, 80 for Center and Surrounds.

What is your Sub? I usually set my sub's internal volume at 33% and then use the Trim adjustment to get it perfect.

For example, in my current set up
Mythos 2 Fronts
8040 Center
In Ceiling Monoprice Rear
SVS 10
HSU VTF2.4

I have the fronts at -1.5, the Center at -3, Surrounds at 0, and the Sub at +3. All of the speakers are putting out 75dbls of pink noise, with the center putting out 78dbls and the Subs putting out 78dbls.

Also, use a tape measurer for the distance.
post #24993 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM

Great explanation! Thank you.

I am hoping I can get by without a sub for awhile. With the subs in the towers I'm wanting them to be enough.

Hopefully it will all be here tomorrow and I can start setting up. Thx again and I'll update my progress.
post #24994 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkimberly View Post

Great explanation! Thank you.

I am hoping I can get by without a sub for awhile. With the subs in the towers I'm wanting them to be enough.

Hopefully it will all be here tomorrow and I can start setting up. Thx again and I'll update my progress.

You're going to need a sub. You won't get below 40hz with your current set up if your lucky. Look at SVS, HSU, or Epik. Stay away from Def Tech subs. They are WAY overpriced for their performance. I've had the ProSub 100, 1000, SC 3, SC 2, and SC 1 and none of them compare to the Hsu or even my 10" SVS.
post #24995 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 PM

Well that sucks. I was hoping I could get by without spending anymore $. You suggested brands but what would u suggest based off best bang for the $?
post #24996 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Hi, I just bought the SPL meter at radio shack. I never used this before where should i place the microphone? is it where my "sweet spot" would be? and while I'm doing the test tone levels should the meter be facing each of the speakers while measuring or just place it straight forward facing the screen? And what about my in-ceiling should it be facing up the ceiling while measuring?

Point the mike at the screen at ear level for all the channel measurements.

I used audyssey as a tool to see where it set crossovers and the difference in levels between the speakers and made some adjustments. For example if it set my mains at -7, sides at -9 and rears at -6 I would set the mains at 0, sides at -2 and rears at -1 and confirm db's at the listening position with a db meter. It was also a good tool to adjust xovers in my room. Wound up changing a few xovers up or down 5 to 10 hz but it gave me an ideaa of the lf output for each channel in my room.

Thanks Bartman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

How to use a RS SPL:

First, get a test tone disk (check the audio theory and setup area for free discs)

Sit in the sweet spot. Put the Radio Shack SPL in front of you, with the mic facing up. Turn the volume up until your Front Left Speaker is 75dbl. Now, move the test tone to the center speaker. Adjust the trim until it is 75dbl (the TRIM not the Master Volume). Do this for each speaker, including your Sub (make sure your sub volume is set to about 33% and do the fine tweaking with the Trim adjustment).

You still need to set your speakers to small, adjust crossover, and distance. But this is a good start.

Free?? i like the sound of that
I'm about to check the levels with the meter. I'll make a video and post it so you guys can tell if i did it correctly. Thanks.
post #24997 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Correct. With you RS SPL set to Slow and C Weighting, set the master volume so the Front Left Speaker's tone is at 75dbl. Next, set the test tone for Center and adjust the TRIM (-12 to +12 dbls) so that it too is at 75dbl. Repeat this for all speakers, including Subwoofer.

You may want to set your center speaker for 78dbl and your subwoofer as well at 78dbl as this will make dialog easier to hear and add more bass to the overall sound.

Set your speakers to small. However, since you are using speakers that can handle low frequencies, I would set your Crossover to 60 for your Front Left and Right, 80 for Center and Surrounds.

What is your Sub? I usually set my sub's internal volume at 33% and then use the Trim adjustment to get it perfect.

Mythos 2 Fronts
8040 Center
SVS 10
HSU VTF2.4

I have the fronts at -1.5, the Center at -3, Surrounds at 0, and the Sub at +3. All of the speakers are putting out 75dbls of pink noise, with the center putting out 78dbls and the Subs putting out 78dbls.

I tried setting my fronts to small's (8040's) and it just didn't sound as full or blend well; am I missing something?
post #24998 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504 View Post

I tried setting my fronts to small's (8040's) and it just didn't sound as full or blend well; am I missing something?

What did you set your crossover at? What type of Sub do you have? How far away from the wall do you have your speakers? I believe with the BP Towers (I only have a BP Center and Mythos Mains), you need to have the Towers 24"-36" off the wall.
post #24999 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:

What did you set your crossover at? What type of Sub do you have? How far away from the wall do you have your speakers? I believe with the BP Towers (I only have a BP Center and Mythos Mains), you need to have the Towers 24"-36" off the wall.

Cross over at 80hz. HSU VTF 3 Mk3 (3.3). they are a good distance, probably 2 feet or so.

I get conflicting reports, my AVR directions tell me to set em as small, even if they can be set to large. My Def Tech direction state to set them to large.
post #25000 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504 View Post

Cross over at 80hz. HSU VTF 3 Mk3 (3.3). they are a good distance, probably 2 feet or so.

I get conflicting reports, my AVR directions tell me to set em as small, even if they can be set to large. My Def Tech direction state to set them to large.

Which BP do you have again? Are you wiring them with speaker wire only or are you also using the LFE/RCA input? I would just use speaker wire, set them to small, and set the crossover to 60.

Are you using Audyssey or any room correction EQ?
post #25001 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Which BP do you have again? Are you wiring them with speaker wire only or are you also using the LFE/RCA input? I would just use speaker wire, set them to small, and set the crossover to 60.

Are you using Audyssey or any room correction EQ?

8040ST for now, likely go 8060's.

8040st (L/R), 8060HD(C), 8040BP(S).

Just wired with speaker wire; I will try what you have suggested.

Am I missing something by setting to large? They seem to sound much better (most will say go with it), but am I losing out? I try to set them manually becuz Yapo seem to blow...Never sounds right to me.
post #25002 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
just crank up the surrounds to plus-12 and jack the volume up to max

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #25003 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

just crank up the surrounds to plus-12 and jack the volume up to max

How quickly after do you think I'll hear the buzz and kaa-boom, then the smell of burnt electronics...???
post #25004 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Mythos 2 Fronts
8040 Center
SVS 10
HSU VTF2.4

Ok, what should the trim level be set at for the fronts when i adjust the master volume to get to 75dbs
post #25005 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfather View Post

ok, what should the trim level be set at for the fronts when i adjust the master volume to get to 75dbs

0.0. :-)

I tend to set/adjust the lowest trim to 0.0.

IE, if any of the trims fall into the negative range I raise the others up the same so the lowest trim remains no less than 0.0 etc.

Love DIY
post #25006 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES MCHUGHES View Post

Mine sets to -2.5db fr
-1.0 cen db
-4.5 sur db
-15db sub

So do you also turn off audessey in receiver setting it to manual ?
OTK/Afudeftechguy
You do calibrate than go back and turn audessey off and change decibal settings etc...

Sean Olive did a double-blinded study on a variety of room corrections. The conclusion was that some people thought room correction improved the sound, and some people thought room corrections worsened the sound quality.

It makes perfection sense to me since room corrections always sucked to me, yet some other people swear by it.

The only thing I think Audyssey does well is the distance setting.

But we can do that easily with a measuring stick.

I turn everything off - Audyssey, Dynamic & Volume EQ. Everything off.

Sit in my sweet spot with my digital SPL meter since it's easier for me to read. Set to Slow Response, C-weight, range 60-90dB.

Set AVR channel levels to zero. Measure FL & FR. They should be the same volume, whatever volume it is. If not, let the loudest speaker be the reference volume level.

If FL is 76dBC & FR is 75dBC, then I use 76dBC as my reference level.

So I set FL to 76dB (channel level +0), FR to 76dB (channel level +1).

Since I like my Center to be a little louder for better dialogue, I set the Center to 78dB. But 76 or 77dB is cool.

I set all the Surr to 76dB.

I set my subwoofer to 79dB since I like the sub to be 3dB louder than the FL/FR & Surr.

I don't like setting my levels in the Negatives because it just means I have to crank up the master volume a lot more.

Anyway, that's how I see it.
post #25007 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Deftechguy,

When you talk about setting the db levels at 76,77, etc, are you setting them using the trim(-12db to +12db) like others have done?
post #25008 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM

I just took the measurements. the first and last is sub and it's very hard to set it at 75db as the needle goes crazy, and the funny thing is that i can barely hear the bass LOL. I'm i doing something wrong? the results were worst than audyssey! i ended up setting the sub to -4.0. Here is the video of the measurements http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga71M...ature=youtu.be
post #25009 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfather View Post

I just took the measurements. the first and last is sub and it's very hard to set it at 75db as the needle goes crazy, and the funny thing is that i can barely hear the bass LOL. I'm i doing something wrong? the results were worst than audyssey! i ended up setting the sub to -4.0. Here is the video of the measurements http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga71M...ature=youtu.be

Turn the "response" switch on your meter to slow. The 75db number is irrelevant. Just set the master volume to where the tone is not too loud and the needle is steady on a line/number etc that's easy to trim to.

You may need to get into your receiver setup to ensure your LFE/sub is set to 0.0 too.

Also, I hold my meter vertical with the mic straight up - at the seated position where my head would be. Adjust your trims so the needle falls on the same position/line on your meter. If any of the adjustments fall below 0.0 just bump the lowest up to 0.0 then change the rest equally. IE, if the lowest results in a -1.0, raise it to 0.0 then raise all others by 1.0 etc.

Love DIY
post #25010 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Turn the meter dial to 80 or 90! Are you using a sub or the bass coming from just the speakers? Either way, turn down the sub volume on the speakers/sub! Then adjust the trim.
post #25011 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Turn the meter dial to 80 or 90! Are you using a sub or the bass coming from just the speakers? Either way, turn down the sub volume on the speakers/sub! Then adjust the trim.

Also, aim the SPL up!
post #25012 of 31440 Old 12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

As others said, set the meter to slow and turn it to 80db. That room looks like it has a lot of hard reflective surfaces. It's probably going to be hard to get any type of speakers to sound good in that room. You might not hear the bass because your head is in a null and the meter is in a peak. Stand next to a side wall and walk back and worth the wall. You'll notice that some areas are louder then others.

On a side note, I think room correction features only sound good at low volume levels, at least with my bipolar towers.
post #25013 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:

I will try all the setting suggested here and report back. on the EQ note, i have the dynamic EQ set to "ON" and dynamic volume set to "Day" and those setting its where everything sounded better and louder, i turned both off and lost volume level and bass.

Sorry to hear the 8060s aren't sounding as expected - while I do not have the same speakers, I have been through the whole Audyssey / tuning / endless tweaking drill to get the current great sound I have out of my BP2000s.

What is the audio source that you are using to test with? My Denon treated stereo and other outputs separatley - make sure you make your changes to both.

My main AVR is now an Onkyo 709, but I do have a Denon 1611 in another room that used to be main. I have found that my Audyssey approval depends on the room - in the main room with my DT speakers it sounds hollow and too flat - in the other room it actually works ok with the hard surfaces, other brand of speakers, and 20' ceilings. I'm still not a huge fan though.

Others have given you great advise as to using the RS meter for SPL adjustment. If your sound still isn't cutting it, I'd advise going back to basics and try the following:

1) Speaker/sub positioning - how far out from the wall are the 8060's? Try increasing the distance if possible. Sub - try moving it to different locations if the bass isn't adequate. For my huge room, I found corner loading works well. Do the subwoofer crawl if possible (when nobody is watching).
2) Run speaker wire only to the 8060s. Set the sub volume to 10-12 o'clock on each tower. Also, make sure they are turned on
3) Enable subwoofer in the AVR and connect just the real sub to the LFE/sub output on the AVR. Turn off double-bass.
4) On your sub - if it has a crossover dial - set it to max. Also set phase to 0 and volume to 10-12 o'clock.
5) Plug in the mic and re-run Audyssey setup. Ensure the mic is at ear height and test all 6-8 positions. I tend to have all positions within 3' of my main listening position.
6) When Audyssey is complete, set your 8060's to Full size if they are not already, set all of your other speakers to small, and try an 80Hz crossover. Note - only set to 80Hz if Audyssey has set to something lower - if set to 100Hz or higher, leave as-is. When I had the Denon in the main room, I had the best results setting Audyssey to Bypass L/R, Dynamic EQ on, Dynamic volume at Day.

Now test your audio at this point with a blu-ray and a good stereo source if possible. Try different listening modes - I am a huge fan of Dolby PLII on the Onkyo for music (now PLIIz height since I added my additional speakers).

Now, if necessary, use the RS SPL meter and adjust to get 75db at the main listening position if not already there from each speaker by adjusting the trim. As other have mentioned - increasing the center and sub levels above what is set are common. I like to run my center and sub about 3-5db higher.

Good luck - hope this helps!

post #25014 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

Turn the "response" switch on your meter to slow. The 75db number is irrelevant. Just set the master volume to where the tone is not too loud and the needle is steady on a line/number etc that's easy to trim to.

You may need to get into your receiver setup to ensure your LFE/sub is set to 0.0 too.

Also, I hold my meter vertical with the mic straight up - at the seated position where my head would be. Adjust your trims so the needle falls on the same position/line on your meter. If any of the adjustments fall below 0.0 just bump the lowest up to 0.0 then change the rest equally. IE, if the lowest results in a -1.0, raise it to 0.0 then raise all others by 1.0 etc.

Ok, so i measured again and got these results;
FL 0.0
C 0.0
FR 0.0
SR +2.O
SL +2.0
SW+2.0

i Had to turn down the master volume way down in order to get 75DB for FL & FR from the 0.0 trim point. I guess Audyssey has a pre-set volume for the test tone menu.

speakers sounded better this way at -20db it was pretty loud, but i still think i'm missing something here.

Quote:

i'm using the svs pb13 ultra. The gain is at 50% and audyssey had set it originally to +1.5db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

As others said, set the meter to slow and turn it to 80db. That room looks like it has a lot of hard reflective surfaces. It's probably going to be hard to get any type of speakers to sound good in that room. You might not hear the bass because your head is in a null and the meter is in a peak. Stand next to a side wall and walk back and worth the wall. You'll notice that some areas are louder then others.

On a side note, I think room correction features only sound good at low volume levels, at least with my bipolar towers.

You guys keep saying how you hate all the eq features, but in my case, as soon as i hit the multeQ button on the denon remote And set it to "manual" (assuming this means that my manual settings are the ones being played?) and turn dynamic EQ and Volume to "OFF" i no longer feel the little bit of bass I get and everything sounds worse Even though my manual settings are set louder than audyssey settings including the sub. Same thing if i turn multieq to "OFF". But when i turn it to "Audyssey" and DynamicEQ "on" and Dynanic volume to "day" everything sounds louder and clearer, you can hear the bass pretty "loud" in comparison.

So, this is leading me to believe there's something very wrong in my picture. Could my tile be really affecting the sound to this degree? isn't reflection supposed to make things sound "bright"? that is what i feel i'm lacking, that vivid,defined sound. I remember when i first heard the speakers at BB and they demo a gladiator fighting scene and the sound from the swords slamming together was so real and clear i felt i was inside the coliseum with them! that is what made me fell in love with them. But on that note, I do have a big 11x9 area rug in the main listening area. The rug is 3' away from the speakers, I think that should help with reflection.

On the bass note, I have crawled around the entire area looking for that pressurized sweet spot and i just can't find it anywhere. I'm gonna move the sub to the size of my couch on a corner to see if that helps.

I'm open to all suggestions guys so please feel free.
Thanks for all the support gang
post #25015 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koicraft View Post

Sorry to hear the 8060s aren't sounding as expected - while I do not have the same speakers, I have been through the whole Audyssey / tuning / endless tweaking drill to get the current great sound I have out of my BP2000s.

What is the audio source that you are using to test with? My Denon treated stereo and other outputs separatley - make sure you make your changes to both.

My main AVR is now an Onkyo 709, but I do have a Denon 1611 in another room that used to be main. I have found that my Audyssey approval depends on the room - in the main room with my DT speakers it sounds hollow and too flat - in the other room it actually works ok with the hard surfaces, other brand of speakers, and 20' ceilings. I'm still not a huge fan though.

Others have given you great advise as to using the RS meter for SPL adjustment. If your sound still isn't cutting it, I'd advise going back to basics and try the following:

1) Speaker/sub positioning - how far out from the wall are the 8060's? Try increasing the distance if possible. Sub - try moving it to different locations if the bass isn't adequate. For my huge room, I found corner loading works well. Do the subwoofer crawl if possible (when nobody is watching).
2) Run speaker wire only to the 8060s. Set the sub volume to 10-12 o'clock on each tower. Also, make sure they are turned on
3) Enable subwoofer in the AVR and connect just the real sub to the LFE/sub output on the AVR. Turn off double-bass.
4) On your sub - if it has a crossover dial - set it to max. Also set phase to 0 and volume to 10-12 o'clock.
5) Plug in the mic and re-run Audyssey setup. Ensure the mic is at ear height and test all 6-8 positions. I tend to have all positions within 3' of my main listening position.
6) When Audyssey is complete, set your 8060's to Full size if they are not already, set all of your other speakers to small, and try an 80Hz crossover. Note - only set to 80Hz if Audyssey has set to something lower - if set to 100Hz or higher, leave as-is. When I had the Denon in the main room, I had the best results setting Audyssey to Bypass L/R, Dynamic EQ on, Dynamic volume at Day.

Now test your audio at this point with a blu-ray and a good stereo source if possible. Try different listening modes - I am a huge fan of Dolby PLII on the Onkyo for music (now PLIIz height since I added my additional speakers).

Now, if necessary, use the RS SPL meter and adjust to get 75db at the main listening position if not already there from each speaker by adjusting the trim. As other have mentioned - increasing the center and sub levels above what is set are common. I like to run my center and sub about 3-5db higher.

Good luck - hope this helps!

Hi,
Thanks for your great reply. So far i have been testing with the the incredible Hulk blu-ray in that park battle scene. Lots of gun shots and smashing stuff.
I have not tested with music, but i did notice and i mentioned here that the speakers sound better and louder with music i played in pandora.

The speakers are 18" from the wall. i just ordered more sub cable so i can move it to other locations so i have to wait and do that next till next week. Unfortunately i ran in-wall sub woofer cable with a RCA wall plate and i do not want to go up the attic and pull all 50 feet of cable to move the sub around.

I'm only running 12awg speaker wire with banana plugs to the speakers and they are certainly on.

I'm running the sub cable from the SW output on the avr directly to the sub left input. All crossovers and parameter eq have been disable and phase set to 0, letting the AVR manage the sub. I'm not sure what "double bass" is? and last the gain of the sub is at 12 o'clock

I will re-run Audyssey later on this week and see if i get different results. Audyssey has set my fronts L/R to "Large" (full band) but based on people's advice here, i set them to small and let the big sub take over the low frequencies. I have set them to 40hz,60 and 80. and to be frank i can not tell the difference of the sound My center Audyssey had set it to 150hz but i set it to 60hz-80hz and also couldn't tell a difference in sound. The Surrounds were set to 80hz and i just left them at that.

What exactly does the audyssey "Bypass L/R" means/Do?

What is good source for stereo? will pandora be consider good or airplay from my iPhone? I Don't really own any Music CD's.

Here is a couple pictures of my living room. As you can see it's not big so i should be getting full blown vivid sound. The main listening area is 18x12 where my couch is. But it extends another 7 feet to that grey wall and another 13 feet to that blue wall so in a whole we can say it's a 18'x25' room with the open (small) hallway. and the kitchen (behind blue wall) is another 17 feet.

Thanks Again for the support guys. I'm going to be it is 4:47am here and i have to be up in 3 hours for a doctors appointment. i will check back tomorrow.
THANKS!
post #25016 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,
Thanks for your great reply. So far i have been testing with the the incredible Hulk blu-ray in that park battle scene. Lots of gun shots and smashing stuff.
I have not tested with music, but i did notice and i mentioned here that the speakers sound better and louder with music i played in pandora.

The speakers are 18" from the wall. i just ordered more sub cable so i can move it to other locations so i have to wait and do that next till next week. Unfortunately i ran in-wall sub woofer cable with a RCA wall plate and i do not want to go up the attic and pull all 50 feet of cable to move the sub around.

I'm only running 12awg speaker wire with banana plugs to the speakers and they are certainly on.

I'm running the sub cable from the SW output on the avr directly to the sub left input. All crossovers and parameter eq have been disable and phase set to 0, letting the AVR manage the sub. I'm not sure what "double bass" is? and last the gain of the sub is at 12 o'clock

I will re-run Audyssey later on this week and see if i get different results. Audyssey has set my fronts L/R to "Large" (full band) but based on people's advice here, i set them to small and let the big sub take over the low frequencies. I have set them to 40hz,60 and 80. and to be frank i can not tell the difference of the sound My center Audyssey had set it to 150hz but i set it to 60hz-80hz and also couldn't tell a difference in sound. The Surrounds were set to 80hz and i just left them at that.

What is good source for stereo? will pandora be consider good or airplay from my iPhone? I Don't really own any Music CD's.

THANKS!

Well I took a quick look at your Denon manual (don't get me wrong, Denon's are great AVR's, I've just never found them to be overly user friendly...)

Some of this you may already have mentioned but,,

- Make sure "DRC" and "D. Comp" are set to Off.
- Make sure LFE is set to "0dB"
- Make sure "Dynamic Volume" is Off
- Check the "Dynamic EQ" setting
- Subwoofer: On
- Bass Setting/Subwoofer Mode: set to "LFE+Main."
- Set main speakers "Large" and the rest "Small" with a 60Hz cross.

The above very well could be input specific so make sure you check.
I was reading through the Denon 3311CI manual via pdf - your hard copy could be different but check pages 76-86 for the above info/descriptions etc.

Fun, fun!

Love DIY
post #25017 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hey Guys Just ran audyssey last night and these are the channel levels i got.
Are they normal?

The speakers don't seem to get too loud during movies i have to turn it up all the way to 0db to get somewhat close to that movie theater volume. I'm not feeling that life-like in-your-face crystal clear sound i was hoping for. Also i can barely hear my Surrounds whenever they come into play. The speakers seem to sounds better and louder when i play music on pandora but still didn't hit me with that wow factor :-/

I hope i'm doing something wrong, If not I'm going to be pretty disappointed.
BTW system:
F/L/R 8060ST
Center 8060HD
Surround IN-ceilling RSS II
SVS PB13 ULTRA
Denon AVR 3311CI

I have the fronts and center set to 40hz and surrounds set to 60hz, all set as Small.

Do you have an SPL Meter? If not, you should order one, and set up the channel trim levels so that your close to ZERO dB, at 75dB for listening position main sweetspot.

These lower negative dB (Cuts) per channel are giving you less power and causing you to bring up your Vol. Knob Gain to try and offset the lower trim levels.

I am getting 85dB in room at sweetspot and the AVR Vol Knob on a Relative Scale is down all of -15dB (-80 to +18dB), but all of my trim levels for each channel are close to Zero.

Set all speakers to SMALL, Xover at 80Hz., set LPF for LFE to 120Hz. if not setup that way already.

This is the FUN part in getting the SETUP correct for your room and Denon AVR. Over the years I have found out that for just pure Music, I setup the following just for STEREO Mode, with my Dual Subs [2.(2)]:

Audyssey = OFF
Restorer = OFF
DynEQ = OFF
DynVol = OFF

And when running .flac or .wav Uncompressed Audio files thru the Denon this sounds the most Natural and closest to how it was recorded at the studio to us.

You might also, to get some more headroom and dynamics assuming you have PreOuts off of your Denon AVR look into an Emotiva XPA-5 Amp, on sale right now at:

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm $769, which is a Super Fine Amp.

Ah, your Denon AVR-3311CI has Pre-Outs to hook up an External Amp -- Good thing.
post #25018 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I'm not sure what "double bass" is?

Double bass means sending the same bass content to your subwoofer and your LARGE front speakers. The goal is to exaggerate the bass level. On a Denon this is done with LFE+Main. You have one person saying turn it off and another saying turn it on.

Byp. L/R means don't apply Audyssey correction to the LF/RF speakers. All other speakers are corrected.

Questions about getting Audyssey working in difficult environments are best addressed in the Audyssey thread.
post #25019 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Sean Olive did a double-blinded study on a variety of room corrections. The conclusion was that some people thought room correction improved the sound, and some people thought room corrections worsened the sound quality

This is a complete misrepresentation of Dr. Olive's research. In their studies trained listeners prefer more "accurate" sound supplemented by a falling "house" curve. For everyone without a purpose built room that means room correction.

E.g. my room has a +20dB boost at ~49Hz at my main listening position from a room mode. The only way to remove that boom is with correction. It can be mechanical or electronic but it needs to be done.
post #25020 of 31440 Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

This is a complete misrepresentation of Dr. Olive's research. In their studies trained listeners prefer more "accurate" sound supplemented by a falling "house" curve. For everyone without a purpose built room that means room correction.

E.g. my room has a +20dB boost at ~49Hz at my main listening position from a room mode. The only way to remove that boom is with correction. It can be mechanical or electronic but it needs to be done.

+1 for most of us room correction is the only way to get accurate sound and for some auto room correction such as audyysey MultiEQ XT32 is a welcomed tool - check out the Audyysey thread for help in proper setup and troubleshooting a specific room.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page