post #26191 of 31337 Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hello Low, we usually recommend 2-3 feet away from the back and side walls for the BP 8000 series products. They have rear-firing drivers, and the sound stage is noticeably better when you pull them out a bit. If you mean the CS 8060 HD center channel (which is not bipolar, but forward-firing), even a conventional speaker may sound a bit better if it isn't butted up against a wall or cabinet. I hope this helps - best, Joe

I kind of thought that,thank you Joe. Do the rear firing drivers really make any difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26192 of 31337 Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

I kind of thought that,thank you Joe. Do the rear firing drivers really make any difference?

No, definitive just felt like adding them

In seriousness, the rear drivers make a significant difference in quality, but at the same time, they make placement / distance from the wall more critical to tune. That seems to be the reason why definitive moved from a full set of drivers on the rear to the half set (essentially making bipolar speakers sound somewhat closer to the Mythos line, while still keeping some bipolar advantage).
post #26193 of 31337 Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

How do you guys have them positioned? Toed in? Not toed in? I have the left one about a foot from the side wall.. The right speaker has no side wall..
post #26194 of 31337 Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

How do you guys have them positioned? Toed in? Not toed in? I have the left one about a foot from the side wall.. The right speaker has no side wall..

I have mine toed in slightly.
post #26195 of 31337 Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

That's how I have mine.. But if they are toed in,how is the rear supposed to bounce off the walls at you or around you?
post #26196 of 31337 Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

That's how I have mine.. But if they are toed in,how is the rear supposed to bounce off the walls at you or around you?

Only Definitive knows that,,,, and it's a secret.. :-)

Perpendicular may be best in regards to the overall bipolar action yet toeing them in helps with localization. That way you get the direct radiating benefits as well as a dispersed front sound stage.

Try them both ways and see what you think. Depending on the room/surroundings it's just another way of tweaking your preferences etc.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #26197 of 31337 Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

I moved the speakers forward a little and toed them in just a touch and WOW! I was watching Hawaii five O last night and the sound stage was incredible. It sounded like one large sound stage. My girl even commented on it.. Watched a little Tron Legacy.. Had the buttkicker hooked up to the couch also..WOW again! Just sounded and felt crazy..
post #26198 of 31337 Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

I moved the speakers forward a little and toed them in just a touch and WOW! I was watching Hawaii five O last night and the sound stage was incredible. It sounded like one large sound stage. My girl even commented on it.. Watched a little Tron Legacy.. Had the buttkicker hooked up to the couch also..WOW again! Just sounded and felt crazy..

Awesome!
Nothing better than when you make a tweak and you get immediate noticeable/positive changes! I've never experienced the buttkickers but I bet that's quite the effects/enhancer.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #26199 of 31337 Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Smitty,don't even hesitate and get one.. I'd get the blue one tho.. I have the advance. The LFE one is more heavy duty.. I just couldn't believe there was no gap in the sound stage up front..It was cool..
post #26200 of 31337 Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Another happy DEF TECH owner Sound stage is definitely a Def Tech strength! Glad you are enjoying them.
post #26201 of 31337 Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Yeah, I don't even watch Hawaii 5-0 but I'll record it every once in a while just to enjoy the sound. One of the best sound designs and mixes on television.
post #26202 of 31337 Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

That and believe it or not Chuck.. I have the last one tapped just so I can hear the sound track. Why don't all stations sound like that?
post #26203 of 31337 Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Im considering the following setup to go with a Marantz SR5006 AVR and could use some feedback.

I'll be going to 7.1 with:
ProCinema 600 5.1 Speaker System
plus
2x Studio Monitor 45 Bookshelfs to use as L and R fronts

It's a small room which drove the need for a smaller setup. It was built in 1850 with thick walls that can break your hand if you punch them.

Is the pairing of the 45s with the 600s ok? Does the setup of the Marantz SR5006 and these speakers make sense? Meaning....will the setup allow both AVR and speakers to reach enough of their respective potentials to make sense?

Thanks!
post #26204 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivingrain View Post

Im considering the following setup to go with a Marantz SR5006 AVR and could use some feedback.

I'll be going to 7.1 with:
ProCinema 600 5.1 Speaker System
plus
2x Studio Monitor 45 Bookshelfs to use as L and R fronts

It's a small room which drove the need for a smaller setup. It was built in 1850 with thick walls that can break your hand if you punch them.

Is the pairing of the 45s with the 600s ok? Does the setup of the Marantz SR5006 and these speakers make sense? Meaning....will the setup allow both AVR and speakers to reach enough of their respective potentials to make sense?

Thanks!

I don't think that anyone here have tried that combination but in general it's not advisable to mix speakers from different generations. You might be ok with using promonitors as surrounds but the center channel may not blend well with the new studio monitors. Perhaps you should consider getting a matching center?

Marantz SR5006 is a pretty good receiver and it can handle much bigger speakers with ease so you should be ok.

Let us know your impression of the new SMs!
post #26205 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had Mirage speakers and switched to def tech? And if you did,why? I'm just curious..Or what made you switch from your other speakers you had previously?
post #26206 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post

I don't think that anyone here have tried that combination but in general it's not advisable to mix speakers from different generations. You might be ok with using promonitors as surrounds but the center channel may not blend well with the new studio monitors. Perhaps you should consider getting a matching center?

Marantz SR5006 is a pretty good receiver and it can handle much bigger speakers with ease so you should be ok.

Let us know your impression of the new SMs!

Thanks, will do.

What center speaker would be the best match? I dont see one in the Definitive lineup that matches the SM by name.
http://www.definitivetech.com/produc...torSeries.aspx

Given that I wanted real fronts and real center, given my space constraints, this seemed to be the best-non-matched solution. But maybe I missed a different small-form-factor bookshelf and/or center combo that would be a better match?
post #26207 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, will do.

What center speaker would be the best match? I dont see one in the Definitive lineup that matches the SM by name.
http://www.definitivetech.com/produc...torSeries.aspx

Given that I wanted real fronts and real center, given my space constraints, this seemed to be the best-non-matched solution. But maybe I missed a different small-form-factor bookshelf and/or center combo that would be a better match?

When you go to your link, select the SM45's, and then scroll down to find the link to the system recommendations. You will see that the CS-8040HD Center is recommended.
post #26208 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

When you go to your link, select the SM45's, and then scroll down to find the link to the system recommendations. You will see that the CS-8040HD Center is recommended.

Thanks. That's perfect, though a good chunk of change for that center. I might be forced to stick with the Pro Cinema for a while b/c of budget; though would the newer 400 series be a better match to the SM than the older 600?
post #26209 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hello Low, Smitty, Briman, Badger, Logic,
I chuckled a bit when I read these posts. Yes, it is great when you tweak your system a bit and it sounds much better. There's nothing wrong with buying new gear, but when you get a free upgrade - oh, yeah! Logicator talked about the newer bipolars having both the advantage of a big, realistic soundstage, yet having better imaging characteristics. The research pointed us to the 6 dB down point on the rear drivers. It really seems to work well. In my view, with all speaker placement: Experimenting is the key! Your room, how far away your main listening position is from the speakers, how the speakers are positioned vs. the rear and side walls - all influence the sound.
Now go buy UFO's "Strangers in the Night", and crank it as soon as your significant other goes out. Nothing like a little live rock n roll to get the blood flowing. Best, Joe
post #26210 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. That's perfect, though a good chunk of change for that center. I might be forced to stick with the Pro Cinema for a while b/c of budget; though would the newer 400 series be a better match to the SM than the older 600?

I would save your money for the matching center or try to find a deal on one. In the long run, you'll save money because I can almost guarantee that you will want to upgrade/wonder what you are missing. You can always set up your system with a "phantom" center for now until you can afford the center. Def Tech's can be pretty good at creating a phantom center. I can't vouch for the SM45's but the BP's are excellent in that respect IMO. One other thing, your center speaker is probably the most important speaker in your system. The majority of a soundtrack comes through the center including nearly all dialog. Don't underestimate the importance of that. This is from someone who tried three Def Tech centers before I followed the advice on this thread and ended up with a very reasonable priced but incredible center, the CLR1000b.
post #26211 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I chuckled a bit when I read these posts. Yes, it is great when you tweak your system a bit and it sounds much better. There's nothing wrong with buying new gear, but when you get a free upgrade - oh, yeah! Logicator talked about the newer bipolars having both the advantage of a big, realistic soundstage, yet having better imaging characteristics. The research pointed us to the 6 dB down point on the rear drivers. It really seems to work well. In my view, with all speaker placement: Experimenting is the key! Your room, how far away your main listening position is from the speakers, how the speakers are positioned vs. the rear and side walls - all influence the sound.
Now go buy UFO's "Strangers in the Night", and crank it as soon as your significant other goes out. Nothing like a little live rock n roll to get the blood flowing. Best, Joe

Some dude told me on a different speaker thread that the subs in the Def techs were a gimmick.. What do you have to say about that Joe?
post #26212 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Couldn't agree more! Set up is sooooo important. Experiment and suddenly you will have that silly grin moment!
post #26213 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Hello Driving,
The new SM 45's will make good left and right speakers for your ProCinema 600 system. They will have additional bottom end and a better midrange, but the mids and highs will be close enough that when the actors move from left to right or vice versa, it will transition smoothly. The new ProCinema 400 system is good, but not as good as the 600 system, so I would not suggest that direction. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #26214 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Some dude told me on a different speaker thread that the subs in the Def techs were a gimmick.. What do you have to say about that Joe?

Hello Low, I am chuckling again! If you read the independent reviews of the Mythos ST and STS, the BP 8000's, or way back to other speakers in our history, it is clear that they are no gimmick. Can adding high quality separate subs to a system that already has good bass from the main speakers make things even better? Sure - but for more money. Our powered Supertowers have a very high value proposition - good bang for the buck - which is why the reviews are so strong. I hope this helps - best, Joe
post #26215 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

was that dude talking about def tech towers or the long discontinued bpvx/p ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #26216 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Def tech towers.. Personally I love the subs. And when I add my 12" sub to the mix its even better.. I mean,seriously,the dude could not have ever heard these speakers or he would have never said that.
post #26217 of 31337 Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:

You can also consider a third sm45 as center. I have used three sm 450s in the front for more than a year (all mounted) and found that setup to sound a lot better than using two sm 450s as left / right and a procenter 1000.
post #26218 of 31337 Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

I had a friend over to listen to the def techs last night.. He owns a home theater company. He was floored by the def techs.. He just loved them. He said the room sounded a lot bigger than it really was.. He said he runs audyssey and then dials in the speakers.. He's not a real believer in audyssey tho. I threw some music on and he just loved it. Said it puts his James speakers in this theater to shame..lol
post #26219 of 31337 Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a friend over to listen to the def techs last night.. He owns a home theater company. He was floored by the def techs.. He just loved them. He said the room sounded a lot bigger than it really was.. He said he runs audyssey and then dials in the speakers.. He's not a real believer in audyssey tho. I threw some music on and he just loved it. Said it puts his James speakers in this theater to shame..lol

Lots of "experts" dismiss Def Tech. The reality is they have never heard them properly set up.
post #26220 of 31337 Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

He was ranting and raving about the imaging.. Sounded like you were in a movie theater.. I told him I liked how cinematic they sounded and he agreed..
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page