Definitive Owners Thread - Page 883 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26461 of 31617 Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
my wife certainly thinks i am out of my mind! just trying to keep up with your upgrades james!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26462 of 31617 Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone think the tank will affect the sound. I know it may deflect at a different angel off it but will i notice it greatly.
LL
post #26463 of 31617 Old 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Liked: 12
I can't speak for the BPVX speakers but could about the BPVX/Ps
I love them and couldn't agree more that they are the best surround speakers. Currently looking for one more. Had two of these as part of my 5.1 system and later came across a single one. Want a 7.1 system and hope one day I can find one. If any of you decide to sell one or pair please let me know.
I also have the following available as part of a trade:
  • CLR 2500
  • BRAND New pair of UIW BPZ/A
I upgraded center channel so the CLR2500 needs a good home.
The wall/ceiling speakers I never installed as I never dared to cut the ceiling .
post #26464 of 31617 Old 04-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Liked: 18
Anyone own or heard the Mythos XTR series Def Techs? I was looking at a set of the 50's for my front and center but cant seem to find reviews from owners of them anywhere. The way my room is shaped I cant do floor standing and am still kicking around ceiling mounted bookshelf type. Thin wall mounted look like a nice idea, but how do they sound?

post #26465 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

Anyone own or heard the Mythos XTR series Def Techs? I was looking at a set of the 50's for my front and center but cant seem to find reviews from owners of them anywhere. The way my room is shaped I cant do floor standing and am still kicking around ceiling mounted bookshelf type. Thin wall mounted look like a nice idea, but how do they sound?

I'll spare you the trials and tribulations of my experience of trying to get a demo of Def Tech speakers. Joe and Chris are great guys that have tried to help me to no avail unfortunately. The bottom line is the best demo I could hear was a left and right xtr-50 playing 2 channel cable tv. It was anything other than than impressive. However, given this set up I would hardly use it as a strong bias. They may be great, I just have no idea at this point.

For comparison, the same retailer also had two tower Def Techs (not sure of the model since I wasn't in the market for floor standers) with a mythos 10 as a center. Obviously this sounded better, but I still have no idea how much that was due to the towers vs the 10. Keep in mind the demo material was stereo cable tv again, so when I say better, it's like saying it only stunk instead of sucked.

Again, to no fault of Def Tech, trying to find a decent retailer to demo speakers is almost more of a problem than finding the funding to pay for the speakers. An absolute waste of time so far. I've wasted 2 afternoons traveling an hour to each retailer - each way - and still can't get a proper demo. (The first retailer had NO mythos to demo). I've been forced to start considering other brands as a result.

Hope you have better luck!
post #26466 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepags View Post

I'll spare you the trials and tribulations of my experience of trying to get a demo of Def Tech speakers. Joe and Chris are great guys that have tried to help me to no avail unfortunately. The bottom line is the best demo I could hear was a left and right xtr-50 playing 2 channel cable tv. It was anything other than than impressive. However, given this set up I would hardly use it as a strong bias. They may be great, I just have no idea at this point.

For comparison, the same retailer also had two tower Def Techs (not sure of the model since I wasn't in the market for floor standers) with a mythos 10 as a center. Obviously this sounded better, but I still have no idea how much that was due to the towers vs the 10. Keep in mind the demo material was stereo cable tv again, so when I say better, it's like saying it only stunk instead of sucked.

Again, to no fault of Def Tech, trying to find a decent retailer to demo speakers is almost more of a problem than finding the funding to pay for the speakers. An absolute waste of time so far. I've wasted 2 afternoons traveling an hour to each retailer - each way - and still can't get a proper demo. (The first retailer had NO mythos to demo). I've been forced to start considering other brands as a result.

Hope you have better luck!

Just curious but what didn't you like about them?
post #26467 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Just curious but what didn't you like about them?

For lack of better words, to me, they sounded "thin" and "hollow". I didn't get much richness, depth or spatial dispersion. They just sounded dead and flat. Almost like a souped up tv speaker. Hence I was trying to demo the mythos 9's and 10's.

Again, I can't stress enough how abysmal the demo was. Horrible listening conditions and material. In the right setup with proper material they could be great.

Sorry, I know this isn't much of a help. Just trying to add what little I can.
post #26468 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

For lack of better words, to me, they sounded "thin" and "hollow". I didn't get much richness, depth or spatial dispersion. They just sounded dead and flat. Almost like a souped up tv speaker. Hence I was trying to demo the mythos 9's and 10's.

Again, I can't stress enough how abysmal the demo was. Horrible listening conditions and material. In the right setup with proper material they could be great.

I will never understand how retailers can do such a bad job of displaying equpmpent and continue to stay in business. Last time I was in a local shop they acted like I was bothering them. The last pair of speakers I purchased were through Craig's List. The guy let me come into his home, bring my own music and spend an hour with them. Maybe retail shops could learn something from this guy.....

post #26469 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I will never understand how retailers can do such a bad job of displaying equpmpent and continue to stay in business. Last time I was in a local shop they acted like I was bothering them. The last pair of speakers I purchased were through Craig's List. The guy let me come into his home, bring my own music and spend an hour with them. Maybe retail shops could learn something from this guy.....

Some times it helps to give them advanced notice so they can set things up before you get there. There's a awesome Best Buy Magnolia in Chicago (2100 N Elston Ave) that had no problems setting up a whole theater in their demo room. Their speakers were even a step up from other Best Buy Magnolias though. Probably won't hurt to talk the the manager too.
post #26470 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:

To add insult to injury, retailer prices are in line with their pricing, compared to online. It's a shame. I was ready to drop close to $3000 on Def Tech speakers. Not only did both retailers lose the sale, but now I'm so frustrated that I'm looking at other brands and likely Def Tech will lose the sale too. The amazing part was the sales guy thought I would still buy them! $3000 worth of speakers without even being able to listen to them! The icing on the cake was the sales guy was fumbling for over 20 Mins trying to even be able turn the right speakers on and off. Next thing I know, his boss - the owner of the store pulls him away from me to help him (the owner) make a sale to another customer. I waited almost a half hour for him to come back. When he did, he could only get cable tv to play. An hour's drive to get there, an hour in the store without a proper demo, an hour's drive home. There goes that Sunday afternoon. Mind you, this was my second similar experience! The sales guy seemed surprised that I was pissed!

As much as I would like to buy local, Amazon and the like have upped the ante and are here to stay. The same goes with hardware stores, etc....

In the same vein as Gordon Gehko saying "Greed is Good" - so is competition.
post #26471 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Some times it helps to give them advanced notice so they can set things up before you get there. There's a awesome Best Buy Magnolia in Chicago that had no problems setting up a whole theater in their demo room. Their speakers were even a step up from other Magnolia's though. Probably won't hurt to talk the the manager too.

I did! I was actually in communication with Joe and Chris at Def Tech and went to the retailers they recommended!!!!!! I think the retailers are pulling the wool over their eyes claiming to have all sorts of inventory on display and the reality is FAR from that!!!

While Joe and Chris are great, they can't be expected to monitor each retailer, in person - I get that. However, spot checks and reports like mine can't go on forever. They've likely lost my business and many others because of it. It's no different than products sold at home depot and the like.

Sorry, I didn't mean to take this conversation off topic. That's not what this forum is about. It just struck such a fresh nerve I had to vent.

I'm done now. :-)
post #26472 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
One of the main reason's for the B&M demise is lack of customer service. I've been snubbed several times in Audio/Video stores because I wasn't shopping for the high end. BB's set ups are terrible generally speaking and knowledge is non-existent. If I have to do my own research and answer my own questions, why would I want to pay for "service" at the B&M store? Oh well, I am just grateful that AVS is here along with you guys! The knowledge and advice on this form and this thread in particular is incredible!
post #26473 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

One of the main reason's for the B&M demise is lack of customer service. I've been snubbed several times in Audio/Video stores because I wasn't shopping for the high end. BB's set ups are terrible generally speaking and knowledge is non-existent. If I have to do my own research and answer my own questions, why would I want to pay for "service" at the B&M store? Oh well, I am just grateful that AVS is here along with you guys! The knowledge and advice on this form and this thread in particular is incredible!

+1 to all of the above.

My two favorite answers when asking the difference between two products: 1. When they read the boxes to you (since obviously we consumers are incapable of reading on our own and obviously didn't think to read the boxes before asking the question in the first place), and 2. "Well this one is bigger so it must be better"
post #26474 of 31617 Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

One dealer knew I was coming to listen to a particular pair of speakers and STILL blew the audition. I was the only customer in the store (I wonder why) and he turned on the system and walked out the door. The speakers sounded bad to me and I never saw him again to ask what the problem could be. I understand the web is killing retailers to some extent. In some cases I'm sure they are tired of tire kickers who end up buying on line. I would tell them that if you provide good customer service, are knowledgeable and can at least compete with the online price, you'll have my business. If I come to your store, you ignore me and not provide a good demo and refuse to move off msrp, what do you expect me to do?

post #26475 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 160
What kind of price can a person expect to pay for a pair of bpvx's? Not the bpxv/p's, but rather, the non powered versions?
post #26476 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

What kind of price can a person expect to pay for a pair of bpvx's? Not the bpxv/p's, but rather, the non powered versions?

There is a pair that have been on CL in the Dallas area for months @ $750. That price is a bit high in my book. I've never purchased any yet the pairs I've seen/watched sell were advertised in the $600 range.

Hope you're feeling better MC!

Cheers

Love DIY
post #26477 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_inc View Post

Does anyone think the tank will affect the sound. I know it may deflect at a different angel off it but will i notice it greatly.

Hi Northern, it looks like there will be some reflection off the tank. But how much you will notice it is hard to say. My guess is that you'll be OK - enjoy.
post #26478 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Hi JoePags, the current state of retailing aside...I am sorry if I was unclear about the 60's, 50's and 40's. It seems you got a demo of them without good bass material, and minus a subwoofer. For their slim size and awesome appearance, they are amazing - but they are designed to be used with a sub. There's no way to get all the rich, deep bass you get from a pair of SuperTowers out of such a slim product. We don't put an artificial bass bump in there to compensate. I used to live 2 miles from the Chicago Magnolia store on Elston that TruWarrior spoke of. There ARE some retailers who do a great job. I am sorry you had a bad experience. Best regards, Joe
post #26479 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I paid 550.00 for mine about 5 years ago. 600.00 seems about average for good to very good used.

post #26480 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I paid 550.00 for mine about 5 years ago. 600.00 seems about average for good to very good used.

$600 is the norm. I am hoping for a local deal(no shipping) of around $500, but I am pretty patient when waiting for a deal.
post #26481 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
well im off work today and im a little boared...lol....I have 8060-st towers upfront and an 8060-cs center....anyone want a demo of a movie?....I will take requests...

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #26482 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerpilot View Post

$600 is the norm. I am hoping for a local deal(no shipping) of around $500, but I am pretty patient when waiting for a deal.

I recently paid $660 for a Best Buy demo pair with full warranty (they look like new).

Used seem to be in $500-600 range.
post #26483 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Saw I,Robot this weekend in my HT.
Turned off the Dolby Volume processing, but kept on Dolby PLx-II 7.1 processing on.
amazing. Enjoyed the movie thoroughly.
post #26484 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Definitive View Post

Hi JoePags, the current state of retailing aside...I am sorry if I was unclear about the 60's, 50's and 40's. It seems you got a demo of them without good bass material, and minus a subwoofer. For their slim size and awesome appearance, they are amazing - but they are designed to be used with a sub. There's no way to get all the rich, deep bass you get from a pair of SuperTowers out of such a slim product. We don't put an artificial bass bump in there to compensate. I used to live 2 miles from the Chicago Magnolia store on Elston that TruWarrior spoke of. There ARE some retailers who do a great job. I am sorry you had a bad experience. Best regards, Joe

No worries Joe!!! You and Chris have been great! There is no way I can hold you guys or Def Tech responsible for horrendous retailers. It just goes to shoe the state of US retail in general. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for you, I would have abandoned Def Tech's from my consideration weeks ago!

Thanks for all of your support Joe!
post #26485 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post

They look awesome. They sound good. There's not much bass left below 100Hz by my meter. So, you'll need to crossover around 100 or possibly even 125. Be sure to get a subwoofer that can cover midbass, and depending on the room, you might even want it up front rather than in a back corner like you could do if it was crossed over lower. Mine is in back, and it's just fine for home theater, but not ideal for music.

Quote:

Some times it helps to give them advanced notice so they can set things up before you get there. There's a awesome Best Buy Magnolia in Chicago (2100 N Elston Ave) that had no problems setting up a whole theater in their demo room. Their speakers were even a step up from other Best Buy Magnolias though. Probably won't hurt to talk the the manager too.

Funny thing, they were the only ones I could find with them on display, as none of the suburban locations carried them. I called ahead and arrived a few hours later after an appointment downtown. One of the pair had broken off the wall mount on a brick alcove at the front of the store, so I got a "demo" with the salesperson holding it in the air lol. Needless to say, I bought elsewhere.

Honestly, despite a few great pro reviews, I'm sure for the money you can find better sounding speakers. They certainly won't be as good looking mounted on the wall next to a low profile LCD tv setup, though. I have some photos here-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1398848
post #26486 of 31617 Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

They look awesome. They sound good. There's not much bass left below 100Hz by my meter. So, you'll need to crossover around 100 or possibly even 125. Be sure to get a subwoofer that can cover midbass, and depending on the room, you might even want it up front rather than in a back corner like you could do if it was crossed over lower. Mine is in back, and it's just fine for home theater, but not ideal for music.

Funny thing, they were the only ones I could find with them on display, as none of the suburban locations carried them. I called ahead and arrived a few hours later after an appointment downtown. One of the pair had broken off the wall mount on a brick alcove at the front of the store, so I got a "demo" with the salesperson holding it in the air lol. Needless to say, I bought elsewhere.

Honestly, despite a few great pro reviews, I'm sure for the money you can find better sounding speakers. They certainly won't be as good looking mounted on the wall next to a low profile LCD tv setup, though. I have some photos here-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1398848

Looks nice, I would probably use them in tight spaces like a bedroom, ect. not my theater/family room.
post #26487 of 31617 Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 AM

You are of course welcome, JoePags! Best, Joe
post #26488 of 31617 Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Looks nice, I would probably use them in tight spaces like a bedroom, ect. not my theater/family room.

If you're not going to have a subwoofer, I assume they are much better than a TV built-in speaker. If you're not playing at any significant volume, you may not have to worry about sending them full range signal, but otherwise you will want a highpass crossover.

If you are going to have a subwoofer, I find they make a very good home theater speaker and a decent music speaker. One of the pro reviews found they worked quite well in a large room at high volumes, too. Sound & Vision and Home Theater had pretty comprehensive reviews. There's a good review at hometheaterreview.com as well.
post #26489 of 31617 Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Hey guys I was looking for some opinions as I have a dilemma. I want to know which surrounds would be better. My current 5.1 set-up consists of BP-2000's in the front, CLR-3000 center, BP10b's as surrounds, with a HSU VTF-3. I'm going to go 7.1 and I've bought bought a pair of BPX's and SM450's. Which do you think I should go with? Either one would be wall mounted as side surrounds with the BP10B's in the back position. Thanks a lot.
post #26490 of 31617 Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfan516 View Post

Hey guys I was looking for some opinions as I have a dilemma. I want to know which surrounds would be better. My current 5.1 set-up consists of BP-2000's in the front, CLR-3000 center, BP10b's as surrounds, with a HSU VTF-3. I'm going to go 7.1 and I've bought bought a pair of BPX's and SM450's. Which do you think I should go with? Either one would be wall mounted as side surrounds with the BP10B's in the back position. Thanks a lot.

The BPX's should give you a more diffuse sound field. You could use the 450's as Height speakers. I have a 5.1 set up and use BPX's in the rear and I am happy with them.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology , Definitive Technology Supercube Trinity , Definitive Technology Bpx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Bpvx Speaker Single Black , Definitive Technology Supercube 2000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000 Subwoofer , Definitive Technology Studiomonitor 350 Speakers , Definitive Technology Bp2x Speakers , Definitive Technology Mythos 6 Aluminum Stand , Marantz Sr7002 Surround Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Parasound , Definitive Technology Bp7004 , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page