AVS Forum banner
4M views 43K replies 3K participants last post by  33Kills 
#1 ·
Definitive Owners Thread,

I am curious to see more Definitive systems around here. So lets posts pics, which speakers as well as associated equipment.

~Bob

#32,221 ·
PLEASE HELP!

In my infinite wisdom I bought all of the my equipment in advance of the installation for the new entertainment system. I purchased 2 Def Tech Promonitor 1000, 2 DI 6.5S (In ceiling) and 1 Procenter 2000 center speaker. Unfortunately the Procenter 2000 center speaker is 6 1/2" in height and the space will only allow 4" in height.

So, now i have to sell the Procenter 2000 (Take a loss) but more importantly find a center channel speaker less than 4" in height that would compliment/maximize the sound with the rest of my Definitive Technology speakers.

FYI, I am running Denon AVR-X2000 receiver.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

How far apart will the left and right speakers be and how far back will you sit? If I were you I wouldn't run any center because there is no good compromise less the 4", just go phantom CC mode.

#32,222 ·
With my 8060 towers and center the light changes from red to green once the speaker gets a signal. After about five minutes of in-use it will change back to red.

Weird that many are saying their light never cycles off of red.
That is odd. The light on my 8060 towers is red when not in use, switches to green when in use.

The light on my CS8060 does not light up, and then turns red when in use. It was always this way since I bought it new a year ago, and assumed that it was a variance on the center channel (a bright green light might be more visible on a screen). Is there a way to test if it is functioning normally?

#32,224 ·
The speakers are ceiling mounted and approx 7 1/2' apart from each other.
The distance from the speakers to the sofa is approx 13'.

It was hard before to picture why you had a 4" restriction on the CC height and now since you are ceiling mounting your L/R it's even harder. Can you explain the front sound stage a little better? What are you trying to work around?

#32,225 ·
It was hard before to picture why you had a 4" restriction on the CC height and now since you are ceiling mounting your L/R it's even harder. Can you explain the front sound stage a little better? What are you trying to work around?
Hopefully this attachment helps. The top shelf is to hold a sculpture. TV is below.. Then the center channel and cabinets.

It is not exact because the top shelf has to drop lower to fit the sculpture.

Attachments

#32,226 ·
Hello to all my fellow Definitive friends! I have made the very tough decision to sell my beloved Seaton Submersive HP's. They blend wonderfully with my BP7000's and would be a worthy upgrade from any Definitive Sub (maybe the Trinity would give them a run for their money in output - maybe - probably not). I upgraded to my dual Submersives from dual Supercube References and it was an amazing upgrade - an entire different world of performance.

I have been lurking a lot in the subwoofer forums and might be switching to giant folded horn loaded subs. And so my Seaton's must be sold. Let me know if any are itnerested!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/1852922-dual-seaton-submersive-hp-subwoofers.html

#32,227 ·
Anyone mounted a CS-8040HD to the wall yet? If so, what mount can you recommend? I recently purchased some Pinpoint Mounts AM15 to see how it looks however the speaker depth is just too long and the mounts sag towards the end of them so im going to return the mounts. i havent been able to find no good mount option online for this speaker. i would like to wall mount however it seems im just going to have to leave it on a audio rack and put the rack in the center which i was trying to avoid.

Any good ideas?

#32,228 ·
Hopefully this attachment helps. The top shelf is to hold a sculpture. TV is below.. Then the center channel and cabinets.

It is not exact because the top shelf has to drop lower to fit the sculpture.
If the TV does not take up the entire space, can you mount the CC onto the bottom of the top shelf and angle it to the MLP?

#32,229 ·
Well, I bailed on the 2002 towers and 2500 center, opted for the 8080 towers and center instead. While I'm waiting for them to arrive I peered into the literature for the speakers. I don't need to hook up the LFE input to these towers and center in order to get proper low end output, do I? I know that the option is available, is there a difference?

#32,230 ·
I wouldn't use the preouts. I have the Studio Monitors 65's with 8080 center and I hardly need a sub. From my experience, it took a very long time to break in the speakers. From what I read, just varying the distance of the towers from the wall can have profound effects ts on bass.I was also talking to another member who has a problem of to much bass with the 8060's. Perhaps plenty of other variables on focus on first- Enjoy

#32,231 ·
Bad luck with my DefTech speakers???!!!

Today, I just plugged in my brand new CS-8080HD to complement my two Mythos ST towers.

I did an A-B comparison vs my older center channel, a Klipsch RC-35. The sound of the DefTech was thin, lifeless...

I decided to run REW and I discovered the DefTech center had no bass output at all...

It is plugged in, the red light turns on on the back of it, I have cranked the dial of the bass level control to the max...still no bass!

Here is a chart I got using REW showing the frequency response of the DefTech CS8080HD (Klipsch in green, DefTech in black). The CS8080HD clearly exhibits a terrible lack of bass output. I thing the built amp is not kicking in...or is defective? both curves represent the same signal, sent to both speakers using the same connection (a single +/- cable wire).

Any idea what is going on? one of my Mythos ST towers started buzzing like hell recently, after a few months of use, what a bad luck...:(

2 DefTech speakers out of three defective almost OOTB??? I like the sound of my Mythos, my goal is not to bash against this company, I am just trying to get some help, since there is no warranty for me on those DefTech speakers (bought new from two different unauthorized eBay vendors)...
An update...I finally got in touch with DefTech customer support. My 8080HD was clearly defective OOTB and the ebay vendor who sold it to me agreed to a full refund.

About my buzzing Mythos ST, DefTech referred me to a service center closer to where I live (Canada). That service center diagnosed that my ST had a defective amp (OOTB) and offered to ship me the replacement part (110$ plus taxes and shipping). Hopefully, I will be able to repair it myself...

What a bad luck...2 out of 3, brand new DefTech speakers had defective amps out of the box...:confused: (and those were not B stock either). But still, I really like the sound of my ST! the 8080HD? not so much, I guess I will try a different CC.

#32,232 · (Edited)
Well, I bailed on the 2002 towers and 2500 center, opted for the 8080 towers and center instead. While I'm waiting for them to arrive I peered into the literature for the speakers. I don't need to hook up the LFE input to these towers and center in order to get proper low end output, do I? I know that the option is available, is there a difference?
Correct, just do the standard speaker wire hook up to them, don't worry about the pre-amp inputs for now, as said above, your biggest differences will be with placement and break-in.
After you're really used to them, then if you like, you can play with different connections, those differences can be very subtle and you may not even notice them in your room, or to your ears, that's why you really need to be used to their sound first.

#32,234 ·
I have a clr 3000 center channel and its is currently tilted upwards underneath my screen. Would there be any benefit to placing the center channel vertically underneath the screen?
Just going from Horizontal to Vertical won't change anything, unless it changes the physical space or amount of physical space around the speaker.

#32,235 ·
Any thoughts on this?

I have the 8040's for my front speakers and a lower power amp an old HK avr 135 powering them. I've been looking at an Marantz sr5009 to replace this with. Will I notice a big difference from the speakers with a better amp. The reason I ask is I'm debating which to get first a cs8060 or the marantz sr5009.

thanks

#32,236 ·
I did. I had a Pioneer 1019AHK, producing some 40 watts per channel in reality, and upgraded to a Denon AVR-X4000. Sound was much improved. Before the speakers sounded muted. Once the Denon was inline the experience was night and day to my ears. I must add I was powering 4 woofer towers and this may have contributed.

If I had a do over I would've went with the Marantz SR6008 from A4L.

#32,237 ·
I did. I had a Pioneer 1019AHK, producing some 40 watts per channel in reality, and upgraded to a Denon AVR-X4000. Sound was much improved. Before the speakers sounded muted. Once the Denon was inline the experience was night and day to my ears. I must add I was powering 4 woofer towers and this may have contributed.

If I had a do over I would've went with the Marantz SR6008 from A4L.
I went from a Denon 1911 to Marantz 6008 and it felt like night and day difference. I have loved the 6008 and is perfect for 7.1, and I have used it to run a Klipsch and now Def Tech speakers.

Of course now I am planning to go to 7.2 and will be switching to a 7008 (just for more fine subwoofer control) and will be selling the 6008.

#32,238 ·
Thanks, I've Debated on which receiver to get SR5009 or SR6009, and I'm going with the SR5009 as I will upgrade to the flagship Marantz when DTS-X is out.