SVS SBS-01 Owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1330 Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be using the sub as an end table to one of our couches, up front....wife actually likes the idea.....
by, steelerhater

Sounds like it's time to get a matching end table for her side. lol wink wink

If it only takes one match to start a forestfire, then why does it take the whole#$%@!&* box to start a camp fire for the kids?!?!? PITTDOG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdog1 View Post

Sounds like it's time to get a matching end table for her side. lol wink wink

Now THAT'S an idea...
post #63 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 02:32 PM

I just got my set and quickly wired them up. First question: a few years back, a friend told me that all my speaker cables should be the same length to prevent unbalanced stress on the receiver. Is this still true today? (or was it ever?)

The SBS-01s have supplanted the following:
front/mains - Polk RT35i
center - Polk CS245i
surrounds - old Toshiba floorstanding (I forget the model #s)

They are to complement my PB-10 sub. I haven't run through Avia with them yet as I still need to wall mount the surrounds which will probably end up being a weekend job. As they're not calibrated, the center is distinctly pronounced compared to the mains, and overall the setup sounds a little top and bottom heavy compared to the previous menagerie. I haven't changed the gain on the PB-10, so is it possible that my receiver isn't driving them sufficiently for the mids to be more balanced? I'm guessing that calibrating them will make quite some difference, but I have already listened to several of my favorite chapters across a couple of DVDs and have noticed details I hadn't realized before. So more simply, could it be that my old Polks were more muddy? I paid good money for them back in the day
post #64 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbedout View Post

First question: a few years back, a friend told me that all my speaker cables should be the same length to prevent unbalanced stress on the receiver. Is this still true today? (or was it ever?)

Nope, never.

Definitely calibrate and let us know what you think after that (my friend also just set up a set and the center had to be down 3 dB from the others).

-Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

The spec's clearly state that the center (87dB@1W) is more sensitive than the satellites (85dB@1W).
post #66 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

My pair of SBS-01s had been sitting at my buddy's house over the weekend, as I was away on business. I hooked them up last night and we listened for about 3 hours before I packed them up and brought them home. I'll post more details later, just thought for now I'd post a few early comments for those anxious folks who are thinking of ordering these.

First impressions? I LOVE THEM. We crossed the SBS-01s over to my buddy's PB12 Ultra/2 at 100 Hz (80 sounded a tinch thin in his 22' x 12.5' room) and we spent about 3 really pleasant hours enjoying a variety of music on them, in 2.1 stereo. I previously had brought over my BIC DV62CLR-S pair with Ed Frias' excellent crossover mods to try in the same room, and at the time we had thought they were pretty good for the low price I paid, but we weren't motivated to spend more than a few minutes listening to them. They wouldn't play loud enough without distortion to fill his room sufficiently and the sound quality was not bad but definitely not magical. We had to force ourselves to put the SVSs away after 3 hours (so I could take them home) because they sounded that good -- and they have the Magic. Any true audiophile knows what I mean by that; if you get it, you get it.

For reference, we used my buddy's new Rotel RSP-1068 pre-pro and his Rotel RMB-1095 200 watt/chan. 5-channel amp to power them. We sat them on stands that are too low, probably only about 2' high or less since they were designed for my buddy's older DM602s which are very tall, and we basically sat them in front of and inwards of his 802s, maybe 6 feet apart and at least 5-6 feet out from the back wall and probably 3-4 feet from the side walls -- about 1/3 of the way in from each side. We toed them in slightly. The left speaker had a large leather chair sitting too close to the front of it which definitely had a negative affect on the imaging.

We played a lot of smooth jazz and acoustic music along with some pop, rock, funk, and some singer-songwriter folk stuff. Material included Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Gavin DeGraw, Fourplay, David Lanz, Destiny's Child, Filter, Counting Crows, Dishwalla, Eric Clapton, Eve 6, and some mixes I've done of live recordings of funk/horn bands I work with (so you might say I'm rather familiar with what those mixes should sound like . Fourplay in particular is a fantastic artist for really hearing the sound of your speakers; there's incredible detail, excellent stereo positioning, and a full range of very cleanly recorded instruments. Track 6 on their Heartfelt record really shows off a speaker's abilities or shortcomings, and we were really impressed with how the SBS-01s handled this track. Everything from the most subtle percussion to the natural piano, the acoustic bass (lot to do with the sub here of course), and even the sound of the piano's footpedals being released at the end of the song were reproduced in beautiful lifelike detail. Very sweet. On lesser speakers, reverb tails on this kind of material lose their realism and make the mix sound messy; on the SBS-01s, reverbs sounded just as they should, very natural, sweet and spacious.

Now keep in mind my buddy's main L/R speakers are B&W Nautilus 802s (with the aluminum tweeter, not the diamond), which retailed at $8,000 new. Let's just say they're not bad speakers. Being used to listening to those, we both agreed that if we were stranded on a desert island with nothing but the SBS-01s and the sub to listen to, we'd definitely survive and be quite happy with them. As pro sound engineers we're a bit particular about our speakers so that's serious praise from us. We didn't bother trying them as surrounds in his system, though we probably will at some point and we were both very confident they'd perform beautifully.

Of course in his largish room, the sound wasn't anywhere near as "big" or full as his N802s or his DM604s they replaced and of course not as dynamic, but naturally we expected that. They were definitely capable of playing at very solid volumes without audible distortion (and WAY louder than the BICs); even when we deliberately pushed them too hard, they never really distorted so much as they lost dynamics and started sounding a bit "hard" and compressed. In other words, they began showing in a very polite way that they were approaching their limits, rather than just losing it. Very nice.

We were especially impressed with the tweeters, which had a very clear, detailed, airy, open, and pleasant sound. We experienced no fatigue whatsoever in our 3 hours of listening at pretty decent volumes. The mids were extremely natural too, and surprisingly full for such small midrange drivers. Acoustic instruments like piano, guitar and sax sounded right and very natural, and vocals were really clean and natural on them. We thought the soundstage and imaging were very good, though we acknowledged that they weren't properly positioned in the room and would probably sound better if we took the time positioning them correctly.

The main thing we kept thinking (and expressing to each other) as we listened was, these should NOT cost $225!!!! Of course there are plenty of better speakers available, but for that price range??? I've never heard anything close for that price. If you told me these cost $400 or more, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I recently auditioned a set of Paradigm Signature S4s which I could have new for $2,200, and I thought they were really impressive. Considering their beautiful cabinets and big (for their size), natural sound, I thought that price was a bit high but not completely out of line. Their bass response was outstanding for their size, and of course they were capable of playing LOUD without distortion. But if you will be crossing your bookshelf speakers to a good sub in a small to medium-sized room, and you compared those S4s to the SBS-01s under those conditions, I would have to seriously question why you would ever pay that much for the S4s (besides of course the great looks). Side by side or in a blind test, who knows, I might prefer them to the SBS-01s, but just the fact that I'm not SURE I would definitely says something.

What I'm most excited about is not even these speakers, but what SVS's upcoming mid-size and full tower speakers will sound like!!!!!! If they perform proportionately to their size and price like the SBS-01s do, I want on the pre-order list right now for the full towers.

I'm confident the reviews of these speakers will soon silence the cynics who complain about all the SVS hype, and who opine that just because you make a great sub doesn't mean you'll do as well with speakers. Shoot, at this point if SVS announced they were introducing a line of cars and minivans, I'd be outside in 10 minutes getting my minivan ready for trade-in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #67 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Nice review. We seem to agree on the great sound of these speakers. I just finished the LOTR series (again!) this time I played it in straight DTS with no eq other than my HT room treatments and level matching. OUTSTANDING! I think I like the sound even better than with the THX Select 2 setting. I will try it this way with other movies and compare. It is amazing how clear these speakers are. Thanks for taking the time to post. Mine are mated to the SVS PB12-Plus/2. Makes for some great fun. Dennis

Dr Doan, Gonstead Chiropractor
It's the NERVE!
post #68 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 09:05 PM

WOW that is some very high praise indeed! Great review w/ good detail, congrats on your purchase
post #69 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 09:19 PM

Drdoan, did you have the PB10 previously? I've been listening to these speakers every chance I've had for the last week, and I couldn't be happier with the price and performance. The only thing is, I thought the PB10 would absolutely blow me away (since I'm only used to listening to passive Bose subwoofers), but I think I might have expected a bit too much. The room my system is setup in is 17x13x10 (closed dedicated room), and I was wondering how much better the PB12+/2 is.
post #70 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hathx View Post

Drdoan, did you have the PB10 previously? I've been listening to these speakers every chance I've had for the last week, and I couldn't be happier with the price and performance. The only thing is, I thought the PB10 would absolutely blow me away (since I'm only used to listening to passive Bose subwoofers), but I think I might have expected a bit too much. The room my system is setup in is 17x13x10 (closed dedicated room), and I was wondering how much better the PB12+/2 is.

How did you calibrate the sub? Did you try different locations in the room? I ask this because I have a PB10 in an 18x15x8 room and it rocks.
post #71 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 09:39 PM

I have a 28x22 room where only 17x17 is really used for a Home Theater. Would these speakers possibly work well for this area?

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
post #72 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Before you decide to upgrade, how did you set it up, and where? Have you calibrated your setup with a meter and Avia, setting phase, volume, balancing the levels across the speakers and sub, verified it's in the optimal position of the possible locations? The room is like one big speaker, and if you have bad placement/settings, upgrading isn't going to help all that much.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #73 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Before you decide to upgrade, how did you set it up, and where? Have you calibrated your setup with a meter and Avia, setting phase, volume, balancing the levels across the speakers and sub, verified it's in the optimal position of the possible locations? The room is like one big speaker, and if you have bad placement/settings, upgrading isn't going to help all that much.

No calibration tools were used. I did, however, lug the subwoofer to every possible area in the room. The shape of my room is a bit odd, and but I found the area where it feels and sounds the strongest to me. Don't get me wrong, it's much better than any sub I've listened to. I just don't get the gut rumbling feeling that I thought I would. I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred more to have a sub that will make the average joe think I'm insane.

But the upgrade is just something on my mind for the time being. I will definitely be picking up an SPL meter soon. I will also definitely be building a few acoustic panels and bass traps. I think I will also pick up a BFD along the way. Then, if I'm still not satisfied, the route of upgrading my sub would be taken. I just remember reading one of drdoan's previous posts where he mentioned upgrading too. I was curious how much of a difference he noticed.
post #74 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 10:58 PM

I finally received my SBS-01 5.1 setup today. Its replacing a Micra HT system. The receiver is a Panny XR55. The DVD is a Sony ##?70# with the digital coax going to the receiver and the HDMI going to a 40" LCD Bravia.

The SVS system is slick. The speakers are well made and flawlessly finished (for vinyl). The Sub is great, and is placed in a back corner. The manuals are clear and correct (e.g., start the gain way down...). Setup as "small" with a 80hz crossover. I used the receiver test tones to calibrate - the center had to be knocked back a few db, as well as the RS that is closer to my preferred chair (I have to work around my wife...). I calibrated at 74db which was -15db on the Panny. The 85db speaker sensitivity is a non-issue to me. My hearing is still intact.

Movies - some Starwars, Nemo, T2, WoTW. Music - some rock, piano, guitar, classical, organ & opera. I don't have a long history with HT, I really can't imagine anyone wanting anything more for movies. Its clean, clear, and plenty loud. Sub had no problem moving this 24 x 16 room. Still playing with the sub for best position. Wife commented that she heard a lot more the high frequency stuff - a lot of the background sounds can be identified. I'm pleased with it for HT.

Music - the 2.0 speakers do fine for piano and guitar and vocals. The fake 5.1 (IIx, neo) sounded cool, but I don't have much experience playing with it. The classical/opera in 2.0 stereo showed that these are small bookshelf speakers. Sounds like both the highs and lows were rolling off. Not unexpected. Not bad. These just aren't big floor standers, and the tiny XR55 might be part of this too. Still a lot more playing to do. The organ music was cool with the 5.1 Neo and SFC and the sub.

Comparison to the Micra is unreasonable, and comparison to other speakers and HT (friends and B&M shops) would be based on my poor memory (and confounds the XR55 too). Overall I think the system matches the previous descriptions and my expectations quite well.

M.
post #75 of 1330 Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:

my jaw still drops from time to time watching FOTP, WOTW, and just recently the LOTR trilogy with my 1-yr old PB10. my room measures roughly 15.5'x19.5'x9' with no treatments. wow indeed.....
post #76 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
einsteinjb...great review...

I'm going to get a chance to hear a full set this weekend. I'm looking forward...

subbedout...Those old Polks should hold up pretty well, hopefully you got an upgrade.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #77 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Interesting reviews by all.
My brother is looking for speakers, and does not want to spend much money on them. ($1000 tops) So I think these look like the ones I am going to recommend.
You guys that are posting your reviews should be careful though or this thread will be closed as well due to paranoia that we are all on the SVS payroll.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=629506

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #78 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Comparison to the Micra is unreasonable, and comparison to other speakers and HT (friends and B&M shops) would be based on my poor memory (and confounds the XR55 too). Overall I think the system matches the previous descriptions and my expectations quite well.

Thanks for the honest frame of referance. Good observations.

einsteinjb , great review, I found the direct comparisons usefull as I am familiar with those speakers.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #79 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 07:28 AM

For those that have it or know more that I could ever know. I have a 28x22 room where only 17x17 is really used for a Home Theater. Would these speakers possibly work well for this area? They are right in the price range I am looking at.

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
post #80 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 AM

Liked: 11
I am looking to get a new pair of bookshelf speakers for my in-laws house and am considering the SBS-01's. However, due to space restraints, the big sub is out of the question. Has anyone set up a SBS-01 system with a smaller less expensive sub and how did they sound?
post #81 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

My room is 15 x 11.8 with 10 ft vaulted ceiling. The PB10 in my room did almost as well as my 16-46PCi. When I used both it was simply stunning with the impact felt and heard. I upgraded so I could get the same or better headroom in one speaker instead of a cylinder and a box. I think that if you will follow the directions carefully in the sub's manual, you will get that sub to woof well. You may be sitting in the "null" part of your room. (Each room has a null spot where the bass will be attenuated). That PB10 is an amazing sub, and in your room, it should do great. Dennis

It's the NERVE!
post #82 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

All,

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. It's a bit of an SVS tradition to be a tad conservative with into'ing new products (though the usual critics will label anything we or others say as "hype". I had the honor or personally setting them up for European dealers in December then doing it all over again with two systems at CES. I know on a personal level I like them alot, but then again I'd be in a world of hurt if I didn't ;^)

Credit is due to the past year's work done by the R/D crew back in Ohio and the subcontractor we worked with closely to get them out the door.

The bad news is we undershot demand and will soon be dead out of the 5.0 systems (in the next two weeks for sure). We already are out of the 2.0 packages (so those looking to build a 7.1 system will have to get by with 5.1 for a bit till stocks catch up). As a result, we'll ask you all to remain flexible as we work hard to fill up the pipeline and keep it full.

Many have e-mailed us about the MTS-01 speakers too. Work is proceeding, fast. Some concept speakers were shown at CES that might indicate the direction we go at least for the bookshelf componenent of that new product line (I'm sure pics are floating around already). Keep an eye on our news page in the mid-March timeframe where some updates should start to be available.

Anyway, shortages might loom until March, but we should be clear after that. Just figured you might want to have an update from the OEM corner. Only the quick, the lucky and the patient will be able to chat with authority for the moment (though something like 1,500 people got to hear them at Alexis Park), but I hope the product is proving they'll be worth any wait those seeking them might incur.

Thanks again for sharing. We're enthusiasts first and foremost so we get a thrill out of new stuff being discussed from several perspectives. AVS members are all part of this product, we might never had even built them if not for folks egging us on here.

All the best,

Ron
SVS
post #83 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

It's great to hear an update from SVS themselves. Thanks, Ron. I was surprised to see you're in Colorado Springs too. Does SVS have a local operation/office? I have to build my HT first, but at this point I plan to buy the SVS 7.1 setup.

Guy

post #84 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Interesting reviews by all.
My brother is looking for speakers, and does not want to spend much money on them. ($1000 tops) So I think these look like the ones I am going to recommend.
You guys that are posting your reviews should be careful though or this thread will be closed as well due to paranoia that we are all on the SVS payroll.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=629506

Craig

If we're all on the SVS payroll, I have two questions:

1. Where are they keeping the money tree?? Cause they're sure not paying us all out of the massive markups on their products!

2. Where's my checks?!?? LOL.

post #85 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

If we're all on the SVS payroll, I have two questions:

1. Where are they keeping the money tree?? Cause they're sure not paying us all out of the massive markups on their products!

2. Where's my checks?!?? LOL.

einsteinjb,

Well, I am probably already pushing it here, but if you read that thread which I posted the link to then you will see what I was refereing to.
I can't believe how some people interpreted all of this excitement of a new product as some sort of conspiracy by SVS.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #86 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

I just put some more sound damping material behind the 2 front speakers and realigned them. Still more improvement. I would love for someone to come by and hear this amazing speaker package. If anyone is around the Oklahoma City area and would like an audition, please contact me by PM or my email: drddoan@yahoo.com. These speakers are simply wonderful, come by and prove it to yourself! Dennis

It's the NERVE!
post #87 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 02:12 PM

Got mine set up last night
Have the 7.1 but only finished 5.1. Ran out of wire !
Have a 17x18x8 room.
Got the AVR-4806 and did the quick EQ via front panel.
Need to redo with the tripod. I used a tall candle stand.
Almost had it at ear level.
Sounds great. Way better than my old Blose 28
Speaker mount kits via drywall not so good.
Will remount in the studs over the weekend.
Overall sound is clean and crisp. Very nice for the price.
Speakers are well designed externally and are rugged.
I did not turn the Sub up past 50%. But it was rocking.
Will provide a detailed review after full tuning is complete.

As far as "hype" and "payroll comments".
I own a company that sells high ticket storage gear.
IMHO. SVS is a quality outfit with a good reputation.
When you do a good job like them. Business is easy and you
will be satisfied. So all the "cynics" take your attitude to a different thread.

bltserv
post #88 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Digital Man,

My office is the only SVS presence in "the Springs". We might set up a commercial office/showroom down town but so far time just doesn't allow me to cover that and other tasks too. Ohio is where most activity is centered. Drop me a line sometime and I'll be only too happy to pull myself away from real work and give demos for a few hours in my personal HT/music room (though I'm in line for a full SBS-01 system for my location just like everyone else, they are too short in supply for it to be otherwise).

Einstein, heck you have more experience listening to music than I do. Thanks especially for your feedback. I'm always humbled with professional musicians or producers get our gear and like it. I mean everything we do is designed to hold up well to such scrutiny, but as an OEM we still bite our collective lips a bit when someone with that much time behind a console actually stands up to give his/her opinion.

We've said it 100 times, at least, by now. Speakers are a very very subjective area of audio. What one guy/gal might love, another might hate. Objective testing created these speakers, backed by probably thousands of hours of listening, but it's not THAT that sells a speaker. It's what customers feel they do or don't do. The best design approach (in our view) is to strike a balance that all users COULD like, if they listen to them a bit and appreciate what a flat FR and high output combined can provide a customer on a tight budget (or anyone I suppose. It's important to note that playback is still dependent on a sub too, these are not "full range" speakers on their own).

So, as I suspect you know Einstein, you can test and tweak and KNOW you have a high output, utterly neutral design that does not color music or movie audio, but that does mean someone will like it. If you are used to bright speakers (with heavy emphasis on treble), or "warm speakers" (essentially the opposite situation), more power too you. You probably won't like these speakers, or the wine I prefer for that matter. The sound of the SBS-01 was no accident. We meant them to disappear in a room. To never call attention to themselves with "their own sound". I hope we achieved that. Your report (and others coming in) gives me some reason to believe we did (though I can't trust my ears, I'm clearly too biased in any judgement I might lend).

Oh yeah the day we pay anyone to say anything (not what Suffolk meant of course, though others certainly allude to it whenever we intro something new) THAT is the day I demand a raise for myself. Fact is we're too cheap to bribe a reviewer or even someone just posting on the web. The thin margins (by industry standards) of a factory-direct business model means you had best look elsewhere for a way to get rich, or even create a nice pool for which to buy reviews.

I'm sure it's happened out there somehere, but there's no "money tree" in this company. We're picking that damn tree and putting all the "leaves" in new product man. Every new product you see or hear about (not just at SVS, anywhere) costs tens of thousands of $$ just to make it to production, forget about stocks enough to keep up with demand if your new product is a hit.

Ron
SVS
post #89 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Well said, Ron. I still will challenge anyone to hear my setup and go and listen to any other speakers and see (hear) for yourself how good these speakers really are! Disappear they do! Neutral they are! Dynamic they are! I can't thank you guys at SVS enough for 1) making audiophile quality speakers and subs, 2) Keeping the price ridiculously low, and, 3) allowing me to get the complete set before the rush! I hope we can meet someday, love to see you guys face to face. Dennis

It's the NERVE!
post #90 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

PS-Colorado Springs, what a lousy place to live. What with all those mountains, clear air, etc. You must be suffering! (I used to live there, can't remind my wife as she would go there again in a heartbeat!). Dennis

It's the NERVE!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page