SVS SBS-01 Owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I pulled the trigger on the 7.1 system. I now need a receiver. Knowing my room size, 15x14 and the fact that I will not go any larger than this speaker set, I want to make a good selection. I want something that optimizes these speakers and is not overly difficult to set up...but am willing to invest the time to tweak it....I like nice equipment, not going to cheap out, but am really a novice and now have the "frozen by indecision" problem. Can some of you recommend your receiver and if you feel that it is what you will stay with for this set of speakers...I have learned a lot from this forum (especially for my initial HDTV purchase) and look for one more assist....Thanks...

"A better tomorrow takes your best today"....Rik Emmett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

With that sized room, you won't need a lot of power. I'd start at looking at the Onkyo 503 or the Pioneer 815. The main differences are that the Onkyo has 3 optical & 1 coaxial inputs, and the Pioneer has 2 of each. Also, the Pioneer has an auto set-up feature, but I'd rather use an SPL meter and calibrate it myself. If you want component video conversion, look at the Denon 1706, Onkyo 603 or the Pioneer 1015.
post #93 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

subbedout...Those old Polks should hold up pretty well, hopefully you got an upgrade.

I was planning on getting the Polks to help out the TV in the dining room (terrible habit, I know ). If I get with the technobabble, I'd have to guess that the Polks are definitely on the warm side. Having used them alongside my PB10 for some time now, I can't say I'd noticed, lacking frame of reference of course.

I've ran a quick Avia balancing and things are looking pretty good in my acoustically-challenged family room, the center being the only one needing to be taken down a couple of dB. Also, for me it's a bonus having the same speakers all round instead of the menagerie from before, which must help them blend in better.
The SBS-01s in particular produce a nice clear, detailed sound. As I mentioned above, that's not what I'm used to, but it's what I prefer (typically with music I add emphasis to the higher bands - obviously, I was compensating for my previous speakers' characteristics). I haven't had much more of a chance to listen to my old favorites, but hopefully I will this coming weekend. Early impressions are that these are keepers!

One final point that really took me by surprise was the size of the units. I know they're bookshelf speakers and all, but the footprint of the SBS-01 is actually smaller than the footprint of my front stands! Made me chuckle for sure
post #94 of 1330 Old 01-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

More reviews!

I'm one of the MTS-01 e-mailers....
post #95 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 View Post

With that sized room, you won't need a lot of power. I'd start at looking at the Onkyo 503 or the Pioneer 815. The main differences are that the Onkyo has 3 optical & 1 coaxial inputs, and the Pioneer has 2 of each. Also, the Pioneer has an auto set-up feature, but I'd rather use an SPL meter and calibrate it myself. If you want component video conversion, look at the Denon 1706, Onkyo 603 or the Pioneer 1015.

Thanks,
this Denon comes with the mic also unlike the 3805...my 3yr old hitachi has DVI input (no sound) so I guess I don;t need hdmi switching...trying to learn but the HDMI conversion issue is tough to get my arms around, even doing the search...
so 75 watts is enough?
Can anyone who owns these speakers now say what wattage they have and room size? Last piece I need so I can "justify" my purchase to myself....
can't wait for the speakers...in my excitement I forgot to order the front stands...argh...

post #96 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just pulled the trigger and bought a 5.1 system. (With the intention of later this year buying the MTS-01 pair). My question is what receiver now? I had been debating about the HK-635 and the Pioneer 1015. They both seem to be highly recommended. The problem is the HK is selling it seems in the upper $600 where the Pioneer is right at $500. I'd take the pioneer in a heartbeat, but I am afraid the lack of Lip Synch correction would be noticeable. Although, I have noticed a lip synch issue with my current receiver it doesnt seem to be a common occurence. So I could just be sweating something that really is not an issue?

That being said, I need a 7.1 and 3 digital inputs (Mainly for movies). Ideally I would like to stay in the 500-550 range. Are there any other recievers that can be recommended? Or should I stay with 1 of the 2 above?

Any Help is appreciated.

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
post #97 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Well it's not my place probably (takes SVS hat off head), but I've always been a big fan of the quality and feature set of Denon receivers. Our CES suite had an "old" Denon 3805 in the "showroom" (surely available on E-bay for a song nowadays) and a 3806 in our main demo room.

These are about as mainstream as receivers get, and probably about what someone pulling out $1K for speakers will spend for one. Frankly I find the 3805 to be all I'd need in most circumstances (if you don't need the HDMI or XM radio features of the 3806). I've used the 1805 (not sure about the model number, but it's about their bottom of the line) and have had the predecessor to the 2805 too and never found them wanting in power or difficult to set up.

I never had a problem with a Denon receiver before CES, but the first one (NIB) was DOA in Vegas and we had to send out for a new one (which worked flawlessly) the night before the show started. The inclusion of the calibration mic, HDMI and XM make the 3806 worth looking at for sure if you need those things. Didn't get enough time with the new remote for that unit though. The 3805 remote was universally panned but I actually started to like it recently.

Anyway, there are more quality receivers in the $500-1000 price range than you can shake a stick at, and anything with 50 wpc or more will be enough to drive you out of the room with this set of speakers. I know neither receivers we used ever became more than moderately warm even though we were running full reference level for several hours each day at CES.

People tend to recommend stuff they are comfortable with so don't discount personal recommendations for sure.

Ron
SVS
post #98 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog View Post

I just pulled the trigger and bought a 5.1 system. (With the intention of later this year buying the MTS-01 pair). My question is what receiver now? I had been debating about the HK-635 and the Pioneer 1015. They both seem to be highly recommended. The problem is the HK is selling it seems in the upper $600 where the Pioneer is right at $500. I'd take the pioneer in a heartbeat, but I am afraid the lack of Lip Synch correction would be noticeable. Although, I have noticed a lip synch issue with my current receiver it doesnt seem to be a common occurence. So I could just be sweating something that really is not an issue?

That being said, I need a 7.1 and 3 digital inputs (Mainly for movies). Ideally I would like to stay in the 500-550 range. Are there any other recievers that can be recommended? Or should I stay with 1 of the 2 above?

Any Help is appreciated.

Spacehog, if you are interested in the Pioneer 1015. Check out this site.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395572329
I think it is in your budget.
I will also confirm what Ron says about the Denon 3805. I won one. I have it mated with an Outlaw 770 amp. (200 watts x 7)
In your case, and as Ron stated, I would bet the Denon will do just fine on its own.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #99 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 AM

Ron, thanks.....best wishes for your continued success.

post #100 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM

Looks like the Denon AVR-2106 is sufficient for my needs...has audio sync and comes with Mic.....plus 125 watts.......

post #101 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Has anyone done any FR charts with these speakers? the Secrets FR chart sucks because the dB range is between -40 and 120 db, that's way too large to be able to see the peaks and nulls.
post #102 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
post #103 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just received the 7.1 set-up with one small problem, it only came with 5 speakers and the sub. apparently SVS grossly under estimated the popularity of the 7.1 system and ran out of speakers . Anyway This isn't a big deal to me, I have dealt with SVS in the past and I know they will make it right. My only Dilemma is the system was bought by my uncle and this is his first time dealing with an on line dealer, so I have to convince him they will get his order straightened out and he will get his other speakers. Well anyway for anyone that is expecting a 7.1 system be aware you may only receive a 5.1 setup to start with.

If guns cause crimes, then pencils cause misspelled words.
post #104 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMAN180 View Post

I just received the 7.1 set-up with one small problem, it only came with 5 speakers and the sub. apparently SVS grossly under estimated the popularity of the 7.1 system and ran out of speakers . Anyway This isn't a big deal to me, I have dealt with SVS in the past and I know they will make it right. My only Dilemma is the system was bought by my uncle and this is his first time dealing with an on line dealer, so I have to convince him they will get his order straightened out and he will get his other speakers. Well anyway for anyone that is expecting a 7.1 system be aware you may only receive a 5.1 setup to start with.

from my understanding, they ship a "5.0" system where you get 5 speakers and the extra 2 speakers for 7.1 come in a separate "2.0" box. ups prolly just misplaced it and the extra 2 speakers will show up monday.

i ahve the 7.1 system on the way (thought it'd arrive today but ups sucks soo....) and there are 4 boxes which i am guessing are- 5.0 system box, 2.0 system box, pc-ultra sub and the 4 sets of wall mounts. the weights for each box based on tracking numbers appears to back this up.

ROB
post #105 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 PM

UPS only showed 2 boxes being shipped with my order, but you are correct they ship the 5.0 system in one box the sub comes in another box. The extra speakers must come in a box all of their own, however I spoke with SVS today and they are backordered on the 2.0 speakers to make up a 7.1 system and they will not have any in for a month or so.

post #106 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMAN180 View Post

UPS only showed 2 boxes being shipped with my order, but you are correct they ship the 5.0 system in one box the sub comes in another box. The extra speakers must come in a box all of their own, however I spoke with SVS today and they are backordered on the 2.0 speakers to make up a 7.1 system and they will not have any in for a month or so.

when did you order your system?

ROB
post #107 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 PM

I placed the order 1/1/06.

post #108 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

gotcha. So did you set up the 5 speaks that you got? If so, how do they sound?

ROB
post #109 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 08:32 PM

Just got them yesterday I will be helping my uncle set these up in a couple weeks when he gets his new 50" plasma. I think I am more execited to get these hooked up then he is. He has never had any kind of surround sound system or stereo for that matter, I turned him on to SVS I know he will be satisfied, I absolutley love my PB12/plus2. I will post my impressions ASAP.

post #110 of 1330 Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post

from my understanding, they ship a "5.0" system where you get 5 speakers and the extra 2 speakers for 7.1 come in a separate "2.0" box. ups prolly just misplaced it and the extra 2 speakers will show up monday.

i ahve the 7.1 system on the way (thought it'd arrive today but ups sucks soo....) and there are 4 boxes which i am guessing are- 5.0 system box, 2.0 system box, pc-ultra sub and the 4 sets of wall mounts. the weights for each box based on tracking numbers appears to back this up.

I had five boxes for my order. The 5.0 box, the 2.0 box, the PB-10, and two boxes for two pairs of stands. Each pair of stands counts as its own box.
post #111 of 1330 Old 01-14-2006, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Thanks to a couple of members of AH and HTF, I got a chance to listen to a 5.1 set with a PB10 in a 19X15x8 room. We listened to music exclusively. My conclusions are that while due to room limitations the setup wasn't perfect, but these speakers are wonderfully natural sounding. The tweeters are very smooth and precise, midrange detailed and neutral. As Dennis said, vocals are pure joy. I would have liked to move the speakers out another 2' each and toe them in to broaden the soundstage, but it just wasn't possible. Off axis depth was very good as well. I'm not an audiophile or an engineer like einsteinjb, but I was very impressed.

And I take back everything I said about the PB10 not hitting hard (slam) on the sub forum. I did say I'd only heard it in a huge room. In this medium size room, it has gobs of chest thump, as well as, clean extention. I'm even more impressed with this sub now.

If you've got $1500, $500 speakers - $400 - sub - $600 receiver(or less). I don't see how you can do better than this package. You guys that are getting this are getting a great product. I envy you...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #112 of 1330 Old 01-14-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Spacehog, if you are interested in the Pioneer 1015. Check out this site.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099395572329
I think it is in your budget.
I will also confirm what Ron says about the Denon 3805. I won one. I have it mated with an Outlaw 770 amp. (200 watts x 7)
In your case, and as Ron stated, I would bet the Denon will do just fine on its own.

Craig

I got my pioneer off of ebay brand new for $375 buy i tnow with $30 shipping
post #113 of 1330 Old 01-14-2006, 05:54 PM

Well, I just got my speakers yesterday (they got sent to CA instead of FL and sat there for a week, but Ron and Erik from SVS got them moving again and were really great to deal with - VERY fast replies to my emails and very generous.)

So, I got them set up (took a while, as I had to run wire, connect to the HK AVR-240 receiver, get the stands set up, install the wall mounts for the surrounds, go to Home Depot because one of the nuts that was critical to the wall mounts was the wrong size, etc.)

So, I haven't even done the "setup", the EZ-Set, used and SPL meter, etc. Just hooked them up and started watching some programs on satellite, including some music channels and now the wife is watching the Phantom of the Opera in DTS.

Her words echo mine:

WOW! We can hear every nuance of the tracks, crystal clear, neutral, great bass, etc. At one point I thought I was hearing static from the center, but it turns out we were hearing the ever so faint sounds of a woman's hair beads rustling as she moved her head and spoke. Wife also watched the last 30 minutes of Spiderman II in digital surround through the satellite and was amazed at the bass.

Will do more research and movie watching later - can't wait to watch LOTR trilogy!
post #114 of 1330 Old 01-14-2006, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

If you've got $1500, $500 speakers - $400 - sub - $600 receiver(or less). I don't see how you can do better than this package. You guys that are getting this are getting a great product. I envy you...

watch out for that bug ron...its persistant and evil!

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #115 of 1330 Old 01-14-2006, 11:44 PM

I've been reading this thread with interest. My current speaker setup consists of a pair of Polk RT35i mains, a Polk CS245i center, and a pair of small Polk R10's for surround. Sub is a Klipsch KSW12. Everything is powered by an old Kenwood VR-309 receiver I got with a HTiB setup several years ago.
I've been interested in an SVS sub for awhile after reading all the rave comments both here and at HTF. My Klipsch sounds pretty good, but I know that I'm missing a lot of that really low bass, and it sounds like SVS will be able to give me what I've been missing for a reasonable price.

Now that I find out SVS is also making speakers!! I am now thinking that I'll go ahead and eventually upgrade my speaker s. Just from reading a couple comments here, from someone who has the same front 3 speakers I have, and from someone else who has the same sub that I have, that this current system would be a winner. Would this setup be enough of an upgrade to go through the trouble of selling my current speakers and sub? Right now my intention is to go ahead and wait until the MTS-01 is available, as I really want some speakers that look more impressive. I'm also hoping they'll have some wood veneer finishes, as I want something classy too!

Also, I'll probably upgrade my receiver first. I like the Denon 3806, except for the price. There's a similar Denon I think I saw mentioned in this thread, except it doesn't have HDMI switching, which I really would like.

I will continue to follow this thread closely

Brian

PSN: bdshort
post #116 of 1330 Old 01-15-2006, 01:02 AM

Not sure if this is an unfair question but.... How do these SVS marvels compare to say M&K (S85's in particular) speakers?

I've got this wanting to spend money bug thats going around. I have replaced everything in my AV setup and the speakers feel left out

After checking out ths SVS site (nice looking now ) I noticed that the SVS family are expecting two new arrivals in the near future (you must be proud ). Worth waiting for?

Many thanks in advance guys.

PS Sorry for all the brackets and smilies. Thats another bug

Baffled
post #117 of 1330 Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Thinking about getting just SBS-01 without the sub. Would anyone recommend this system for a smallish living room (11'x12')? I'm afraid the sub is a little on the big side for this size.

Xbox Live: handinmypantz
BF2: HANDINMYPANTS
post #118 of 1330 Old 01-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

The PB10-ISD is pretty big, but, at that price you will like the performance much better. Music does have some content below 80 hz which you will miss unless you get the sub. Maybe they would let you get the set and if you don't like the sub, return it. Dennis

Dr Doan, Gonstead Chiropractor
It's the NERVE!
post #119 of 1330 Old 01-15-2006, 02:46 PM

1. How much would you pay if you did it again?
Up to $1300 for the 5.1 system.

2. What other speakers have you owned or are familiar with?
These speakers are replacing Paradigm Performance Series Esprit's, CC-270, and ADP-170's. I've also owned Bose Acoustimass 15 and some JBL bookshelves.

3. Are you thinking you should have went bigger or spent more?
No. I'm happy with what I have.

4. Is that big sub worth the size tradeoff.
Yes. I now have two of them.

5. What music sounds best?
Just about any newer recorded music.

6. What music sound worse?
Older music, say from the 70's and early. (I'll explain this further below.)

7. What is the best xover you have tried?
I've only tried 80 so far. It blends the sub and the speakers very well in their current position. As soon as I re-wire the room, I'll be splitting the subs. One up front and one next to the couch.

8. How do they sound 2 channel?
They lack the low end that the Esprit's have. It's not really a fare comparison though because the Esprit's are towers. They have the detail, just not the low end.

9. How do they sound with 4 5 channel ( no sub)
Haven't tried it.

10. Would you recommend them to your grandma and grandpa? How about your parents?
Yes.

11. What size is your room?
16'x13'x8' with openings into kitchen, hallway, and foyer.

12. Have you listened to them loud enough to hurt your ears? Did they still sound good?
I believe that I have driven them harder than I have the Paradigms. They remained clear and undistorted at levels that I would never listen at. For reference, I normally listen to movies at -15 to -10. I've had them to +5 without them or the receiver giving up. I haven't tried any further though.

13. How do they sound at very low levels?
At low levels, I think that they are still clear, but I prefer them at a higher power level.

14. How do they sound at levels you can talk over?
I'd say same as above. To me, they sound their best (for movies at least) at a mid to upper power level.

15. What are you preefeeding them with?
Onkyo TX-SR602

16. Pictures always help with understanding and credibility
I currently don't have any pictures. The way that they are currently setup is as follows:

Fronts - Sitting on top of Paradigms (at sides of TV)
Center - On top of TV (TV is in corner of room)
Rears - One on an end table, the other on stand. These will be wall mounted in the corners of the room.

As of right now, I still don't have everything setup and configured the way I want it. I just don't have the time with work. I did use the auto calibration on the Onkyo 602 to set up the speakers for me. It decided to set all 3 fronts to LARGE so I had to change them to SMALL. I still need to get a sound meter and do a proper calibration. Room size and configuration can be seen above. I bought this system basically for movies. I almost never sit down and listen to music. Usually I'll turn it on to listen to while I'm doing something else. I did sit down to listen to some music today though. I decided to buy these speakers because I've never had sealed speakers before and with the return policy, why not. Plus I got to buy something new. So, off to my review.

Movies

First up was WOTW. I have to admit, I watched this first because I wanted to see just how much more bass that second PB10 would add. In this room, the answer is lots more. The speakers did a great job with this movie. They never gave up when I pushed them hard. And this was the movie that I pushed them the hardest too. They were clear throughout the entire movie. I could actually hear what the actors were saying in the basement when the plane crashed. I never could hear them with the CC-270. I watched to the lobby scene in the Matrix. WOW! The combination of the guns being fired, the shells hitting the floor, and the music playing just sounded amazing. I've watched this scene on 3 different systems and this one sounded the best yet. On to Master and Commander. This movie actually broke one of my Esprit's. The cannon fire in the beginning scenes cooked the voice coil on the midrange. I don't know if it just decided to go out then or if it was the movie. I did play these harder than the Paradigms without them giving anything up. Voices were clear. The creaking of the boat again, makes you feel like you're right there. We Were Soldiers was another good movie to test the speakers. The "Broken Arrow" scene had dialogue along with guns firing, explosions, jets flying overhead, and bullets flying everywhere all at the same time. The only thing that I came across that hurt my hears was the THX intro for Phantom Menace when the ball explodes. It was a very high pitched sound. I never remember it sounding that high pitched with the Paradigms. To me, these speakers are well worth every penny for watching movies. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. The sounds just seem to place you right in the movies. These will be keepers for me.

Music
I used my Sony DVP-NP725P DVD player. Normally I don't sit and listen to music. But, today I did just so I could comment on how they sound. I listened to cd's and mp3's recorded to disc. One thing I found while listening to the Rolling Stones "Forty Licks" (cd) was that there was a static/hissing noise in the background of their earlier stuff. It kind of sounded like I was listening to a record player. Their newer songs did not have this. It may very well have been how it was recorded though. It wasn't horrible, but it was very noticeable. I wonder if this is somewhat the same experience that Axiom owners had mentioned while listening to less than ideal recordings. The Beach Boys "20 Good Vibrations" sounded like these speakers were created for them. This was one of my mp3 discs. It didn't have that static noise that the Rolling Stones had. The speakers seemed to blend with the subs flawlessly. They sounded as if they were floor standers. If I would have turned the subs off, it would be a different story. Another cd that I had the static noise on was the Beatles. Again, stuff recorded a long time ago and put on a newer disc. It still sounded good, but distracted me a bit. Other cd's/mp3's that I listened to were Poison, U2, Beastie Boys, Green Day, Lenny Kravitz, and Big & Rich. They all sounded good, but the speakers need a sub to back them up. They are capable of playing a wide variety of music. For me, the speakers matched perfectly with the PB10. There's nothing like the feeling of a kick drum slamming you in the chest.

Now in no way am I claiming to be an expert or that I have professional speaker reviewer skills or lingo, but I know the type of sound that I like. These speakers have it. At the time, I was happy with my Bose until I started listening to other speakers. I went in and demo'ed Paradigm's Performance Series and liked what I heard. I tried out the Atoms, Titans, Focus', Esprits, and Phantoms. I tried out both the CC-170 and CC-270 along with the ADP-170's. Compared to the SBS-01, the Esprit's and the CC-270's tweeter seems too harsh. I like the sound that the SBS-01's tweeter makes. It seems a lot softer. To me, these speakers sound good and do so at a good price. I'm completely happy with them. Now I just need to sell the Paradigms.
post #120 of 1330 Old 01-15-2006, 03:09 PM

myers212,

Thanks for the review. The fact that you said you would pay up to 1300.00 for the system puts it into perspective.

Seems like these are probally some of the better speakers in there price class +/- 15%.

Let me guess, your profound advice is " Go listen for your self."
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page