SVS SBS-01 Owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1330 Old 01-03-2006, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I figured that since my speakers have left SVS' site at OH, and my CC charged, I am an "owner" now...

Please post YOUR impressions of the SBS-01 system (5.1/7.1) in this thread, after you hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1330 Old 01-04-2006, 08:22 PM

Liked: 10
I got mine today at 6:30. I didn't get to really do much with them yet because I had to go back in to work till now. I only hooked up the two fronts and center. I recently moved the room around so I need to run wire for the rears. I also hooked up the PB10. Now I have two of them. I popped in WOTW and played a few scenes. Nothing is calibrated yet, but twin PB10's make a huge difference in my room. One shook the room a little. Two of them shakes the room alot, along with the closet doors in the hallway and foyer! If the neighbors didn't hear me before, they will now! I can't comment on the speakers themselves yet, because I didn't really sit down and listen to them. I'll do that this weekend.
post #3 of 1330 Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 139
come on you owners...provide some feedback

ROB
post #4 of 1330 Old 01-05-2006, 09:25 PM

I don't think many of us have received our shipments yet.

According to my "Friends at Brown" mine will be here on monday.
God I hope my idiot of a driver does not screw up this delivery.
Would bet I get 3 of 4 boxes and then a couple days later get the missing box.
I wish SVS used BAX or a real freight company and not "Brown".

Will be at CES when they show on Monday. Will set them up and run
my AVR4806 on them and will report back my opinion by Wed-Thur next week. I bought the 7.1 setup. My neighbors are going to enjoy this upgrade as well.

I am sure this thread will be large in a few days as we report our findings and opinions. Its always fun to have new toys to play with.

bltserv
post #5 of 1330 Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Will set them up and run my AVR4806 on them

good match.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #6 of 1330 Old 01-05-2006, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post

come on you owners...provide some feedback

I havent gotten mine either - it's supposed to be here on the 11th (next tues). I got the 5.1 system. I am going from 2 Bose 201 Series IVs, JBL TLXCenter2 center channel, and 2 Sony surrounds (got them for $30 each).

Im pairing the SBS with a Denon 3805 - which just arrived a couple of days ago; even with the existing setup, watching (hearing really) "Polar express" was just amazing.

I cant seem to make up my mind between floorstanding vs. wall mounting for the surrounds - I am getting 4 stands just in case.
post #7 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 AM

I picked mine up at UPS last night. I'm sure glad I drove a truck the boxes are BIG and HEAVY.

The boxes are all opened and speakers all over the living room floor waiting to be hooked up.

Craig
post #8 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanixs View Post

I picked mine up at UPS last night. I'm sure glad I drove a truck the boxes are BIG and HEAVY.

The boxes are all opened and speakers all over the living room floor waiting to be hooked up.

Craig

Lucky dog! I'm sitting here at work listening to XM streaming through my dinky pc speakers & you're getting ready to hook up some new SVS equipment!

Enjoy & let us know all of your first impressions!
post #9 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to hear what you guys think. Please write your impressions in this thread to keep them centralized.

ROB
post #10 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 01:17 PM

My order is still being processed, but nonetheless I'm technically an owner now!

I went with the 5.1 system because that's what I have room for in my family room. Would anyone recommend going with the 7.1 system to get 2 extra bookshelves for $100 and use them on their own in another part of the house? Basically, would the bookshelves sound well on their own without a subwoofer for listening to the radio, CDs, or even mp3s off of the computer?

Thanks

-Lee
post #11 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarlow View Post

My order is still being processed, but nonetheless I'm technically an owner now!

I went with the 5.1 system because that's what I have room for in my family room. Would anyone recommend going with the 7.1 system to get 2 extra bookshelves for $100 and use them on their own in another part of the house? Basically, would the bookshelves sound well on their own without a subwoofer for listening to the radio, CDs, or even mp3s off of the computer?

Thanks

-Lee

Im mixed on this - based on the specs alone, I am not sure if the 2.0 setup would be a good choice with a computer - the speakers are not on the sensitive side (86db) so they would need a good dedicated receiver to drive them for quality output - not sure a computer would be able to accomplish that.
post #12 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:

-Lee

I have a 5.1 HT and I ordered the 7.1 because I plan on using the extra 2 speakers in a 2.1 setup in my office. I think I'm going to get the 8" hsu sub (lot smaller then another pb10) and a 2 channel stereo like the Outlaw rr2150. For $100 more preorder you can't go wrong. I'f I don't like them I could sell them off for more then $100 since the 2 speakers will retail for $225.

Ed
post #13 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklinger View Post

I have a 5.1 HT and I ordered the 7.1 because I plan on using the extra 2 speakers in a 2.1 setup in my office. I think I'm going to get the 8" hsu sub (lot smaller then another pb10) and a 2 channel stereo like the Outlaw rr2150. For $100 more preorder you can't go wrong. I'f I don't like them I could sell them off for more then $100 since the 2 speakers will retail for $225.

Ed

Would they be worth using just as a 2.0 system? The price is definitely tempting, I'm just not sure how much I'll miss out on the lows, since I don't plan on putting a sub in the office anytime soon.

Thanks for the replies.

-Lee
post #14 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Would they be worth using just as a 2.0 system? The price is definitely tempting, I'm just not sure how much I'll miss out on the lows, since I don't plan on putting a sub in the office anytime soon.

Thanks for the replies.

-Lee

Well my thought was I was going to get the svs 5.1 regardless so then I thought about speakers for my office and noticed that it was only $100 more for the 7.1. So for $100 for 2 speakers is pretty darn good deal I think. As for the lows you will miss out unless you get a sub.

Ed
post #15 of 1330 Old 01-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Bastards! UPS was supposed to deliver my SVS speakers tomorrow, but all of a sudden there is some "error" in the shipment and it is now "rescheduled" to be delivered on Monday/Tuesday. ARGH! I was all ready to get them tomorrow and install them and test them.
post #16 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 04:48 AM

WTF is wrong with UPS? Of the two packages sent, one is now in Orlando (acceptable, so it should be here by Monday, though that is still 2 days later than it should be) but the other package (these both left the same place at the same time, right?) is in . . . . .

CALIFORNIA? How the hell did THAT happen?

Hmm, let's see - FL is SO close geographically and in "look" on paper to CA - duh?
post #17 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 05:13 AM

I was expecting delivery on Thursday. Sub came. The other pkg. ended up in Dallas and is just sitting there as of today. Pkgs. left SVS at the same time. I'm in the Boston area.
post #18 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie C View Post

I was expecting delivery on Thursday. Sub came. The other pkg. ended up in Dallas and is just sitting there as of today. Pkgs. left SVS at the same time. I'm in the Boston area.

Wow - sounds like SVS needs to take this up with whoever accepts the packages from UPS locally, because they are obviously NOT doing their job correctly.
post #19 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

I ordered my set which came UPS but took 3 days. When I ordered my new sub (PB12-Plus/2) they sent it by BAX. It got here in 2 days! UPS smells more and more like the post office everyday!
Yesterday I got my final 2 speakers and set them in the rear surround position. I toed in my front 2 speakers a little then ran the YPAO on my Yammie HTR-5990. The sound is simply amazing and sooooo fun to listen to! When sounds sweep around the room it is truly wonderful. Hope the rest of you enjoy your system as much as I. Dennis

Dr Doan, Gonstead Chiropractor
It's the NERVE!
post #20 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Damn - one of my packages (I have 4 incl. the 2 stands) - the 75lb one - which I think is either the sub or all the speakers hasnt left Hodgins, IL - while the rest show as DEPARTED.
post #21 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Gah, I hate UPS and am sure when my speakers are shipped they will screw something up.

UPS is the worst courier company out there from my experience. I wish I could ahve my speakers sent via Purolator but I think Purolator might be a CDN only company. Too bad because they are solid.

FedEx is good to from my past experiences.

ROB
post #22 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Guys/gals... I am really curious of these speakers.
As you receive them/set them up and spend some time with them, I would be interested to hear some comparisons in your reviews.
Like, what speakers you had/have and how the SVS's compare.
What receiver/amp(s) you had/have and how the SVS system pairs with your gear.
How big your room is.
What did you do to calibrate. Even if you did no calibration what so ever, please post your findings. I am sure we are all interested in what you have to say.

I feel telling us your gear will give us the best idea as to how these speakers sound.

Happy listening.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #23 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 12:52 PM

I hope to take delivery of a set next week sometime unless they go on an excursion and have a question regarding placement, as I read elsewhere that the SBS have a more "specific" sound field. I have read other threads on surround placement and I'm still confused as to what I should do.

My family room is 12x24, with the TV centered on one of the 12ft walls and the viewing position (sofa) being about 10ft back from the screen. The front and center speakers are easily placed. Currently, my aging floorstanding speakers provide the surround (I'm only going for 5.1) and are either side of the sofa. This isn't ideal for many reasons, and I want to properly wall (or ceiling) mount the SBS-01s and finally get rid of the floorstanding speakers.

My problem is that level with the viewing area on the right hand side is a small, glass-enclosed fireplace. I figure that it would not be good for the speaker to be directly above the fireplace, or would it really matter? Alternatively, it would be neat to mount them where the wall and ceiling join, but to avoid the fireplace I'd need to place them about 2ft behind the seating area. Will this destroy the surround affect? (even if I point the speakers at the sofa)

What is the right thing to do? Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!
post #24 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbedout View Post

My problem is that level with the viewing area on the right hand side is a small, glass-enclosed fireplace. I figure that it would not be good for the speaker to be directly above the fireplace, or would it really matter? Alternatively, it would be neat to mount them where the wall and ceiling join, but to avoid the fireplace I'd need to place them about 2ft behind the seating area. Will this destroy the surround affect? (even if I point the speakers at the sofa)

What is the right thing to do? Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!

You don't want speakers in corners, as it can really distort the sound. If you're going to mount them on the wall, they should be about 2' above where your head is at your listening position. So if the room is 12' wide and 24' deep, try about 5-6' up off the ground, facing each other along the long walls, a few feet behind the couch.

Did you get the 5.1 setup? Can your receiver do 6.1 or 7.1? If so, you might keep your floorstanding speakers and put them behind the couch for the rear surrounds.
post #25 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 07:26 PM

I am very interested in the new SVS speakers and have done a little reading up here on the forums. I have been saving money for quite some time preparing to get 4 Ascend 170's with a 340 center. I have also planned a SVS sub. Not sure yet which one.
Considering the price difference I am looking more at the SVS package now, but I did read somewhere that these speakers are not expected to be on the level of the 170's. My question to that is in what regard? My room is ~21x14.5 with 8-10 ft ceilings("tray ceilings"). Will the Ascends do better in filling this room considering the size? Although I would love to save a few $$, I certainly don't want any buyer's remorse. I will primarily be using the setup for 90/10 movies to music. I also expect that I will have some 'acoustic issues' with the room, as I also have hardwoods with no rugs at the moment. Any thoughts, comments?
post #26 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 08:20 PM

My previous SS setup was simply the Logitech z-680's - that's right - quite an upgrade to the SBS package. Room is roughly 11x11, w/Denon 1904. Also using DEQ2496 for sub eq.

First impressions:

Finally got everything hooked up and roughly calibrated. My main demo so far was The Corrs - Live in London DVD concert (5.1 DTS)......absolutely amazing! I just kept turning it louder and louder, although I couldn't tell if that was because of the speakers - or because of Andrea Corr Far superior to the Logitechs.

Now, back to testing....hmm...maybe Minority Report next...muahahahahhaa
post #27 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Far superior to the Logitechs.

surprise?

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #28 of 1330 Old 01-07-2006, 11:53 PM

Was the huge difference mainly because of the speakers or the sub?
post #29 of 1330 Old 01-08-2006, 11:51 AM

The sub almost goes without saying. Having the upgraded center speaker, however, was also the other big change.

Generally speaking, the surrounds are...well...just surrounds. Since most audio on any given movie is from the center, that's where I noticed the most difference. I had listened to the same Corrs performance the night before with the logitechs. If I had to give it a number, I'd say the voice and instrumentation were at least 75% better sounding.
post #30 of 1330 Old 01-08-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

You don't want speakers in corners, as it can really distort the sound. If you're going to mount them on the wall, they should be about 2' above where your head is at your listening position. So if the room is 12' wide and 24' deep, try about 5-6' up off the ground, facing each other along the long walls, a few feet behind the couch.

Did you get the 5.1 setup? Can your receiver do 6.1 or 7.1? If so, you might keep your floorstanding speakers and put them behind the couch for the rear surrounds.

cyberbri - awesome, thanks for your advice! I got the 5.1 setup, the area behind the viewing area is quite active (it is my family room after all), so the old floor standing speakers might just survive there. Wouldn't they pollute the quality of the existing 5? At the moment, it's all speculation as my receiver is 5.1 only, but I am planning to upgrade at some point this year (waiting for the new hddvd/bd audio formats to be supported)
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page