Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 103 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 4008 Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

FWIW I bought some ceiling and wall mount 20.0s from Amazon, they all came with the plate and hardware for using both inserts on the HTM200.

Happy to hear that, however, it probably depends on which reseller is fulfilling the order as I don't believe Amazon stocks these directly. We have had many customers call and ask us to send them the plates after purchasing the mounts at various other places. We don't stock the mounting plates and I am not sure if Omnimount will send them out on their own.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 4008 Old 02-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Azanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTR View Post

I was also looking at the Sierras and really like those but they are quite a bit more than the 340's. I doubt I would get the NRT upgrade because it simply is to expensive at this time (maybe down the road but I have a feeling I would be more than satisified with the stock Sierras). I could swing the Sierras but the 340's are quite a bit cheaper. The Sierras look way nicer but I am used to black box speakers so I could live with the 340 style (plus I would buy the pedestals to put them on).

Any opinions? I don't want to have to buy an external amp to help power either one of these (just the denon/yamaha receiver). I have gone back and forth between them so many times and can't seem to come to a decision.

IMO, the "value" cutoff with Ascend speakers stops with the 340s. I personally own Sierra-1 for L/R, and I did notice a slight improvement in warmth vs. Sierras but, (smiling), to tell that difference, I naturally turned the sub off for the comparison. With the VTF 3.3 on, basically say goodbye to the "improvement" unless you are a very trained listener.

Said another way, there is typically diminishing returns as you go up in price on speakers. From 200s to 170s to 340s, I notice a pretty big jump, for a relatively small price increase. Going from 340 to Sierra you pay a LOT more and get a "modest" improvement in sound. And that's about as strong a word as I'd dare to use. Again, if your setup is going to include a sub, you're mostly just paying for a shiny elegant looking, bamboo speaker that looks higher end.

To be clear, I mean my comment to be taken as a compliment to the 340, not as an insult to the Sierra-1.

What would I get? Well, obviously the Sierra-1's. But good fortune has smiled on me, and I have the money to blow. But even I have my limits. For me, that limit is - if even Ascend won't put a speaker into its standard selling lineup (reference Sierra NrT), then neither will I. I see it as me taking their unspoken advice. Besides, I'm not so good at construction, and I would dare send my babies through the hell treatment otherwise known as UPS.
Azanon is offline  
post #3063 of 4008 Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
YOTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon View Post

IMO, the "value" cutoff with Ascend speakers stops with the 340s. I personally own Sierra-1 for L/R, and I did notice a slight improvement in warmth vs. Sierras but, (smiling), to tell that difference, I naturally turned the sub off for the comparison. With the VTF 3.3 on, basically say goodbye to the "improvement" unless you are a very trained listener.

Said another way, there is typically diminishing returns as you go up in price on speakers. From 200s to 170s to 340s, I notice a pretty big jump, for a relatively small price increase. Going from 340 to Sierra you pay a LOT more and get a "modest" improvement in sound. And that's about as strong a word as I'd dare to use. Again, if your setup is going to include a sub, you're mostly just paying for a shiny elegant looking, bamboo speaker that looks higher end.

To be clear, I mean my comment to be taken as a compliment to the 340, not as an insult to the Sierra-1.

What would I get? Well, obviously the Sierra-1's. But good fortune has smiled on me, and I have the money to blow. But even I have my limits. For me, that limit is - if even Ascend won't put a speaker into its standard selling lineup (reference Sierra NrT), then neither will I. I see it as me taking their unspoken advice. Besides, I'm not so good at construction, and I would dare send my babies through the hell treatment otherwise known as UPS.

Thanks for the comments. The 340's are still tempting form a price standpoint compared to the Sierras. Saving a little over $500 could get me a better sub but in the end I am going to go for the regular Sierras most likely (hopefully ordering today or tomorrow). It still is stretching my budget but I am going to try and make it work. I did get a chance to finally hear the 340's in person and I admit that I was very impressed (which is probably why I had a moment contemplating the 340's again). Music is important to me and the 340's sounded great.
YOTR is offline  
post #3064 of 4008 Old 02-01-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,716
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Happy to hear that, however, it probably depends on which reseller is fulfilling the order as I don't believe Amazon stocks these directly. We have had many customers call and ask us to send them the plates after purchasing the mounts at various other places. We don't stock the mounting plates and I am not sure if Omnimount will send them out on their own.

Think they were Amazon sourced when I ordered (I usually avoid Amazon otherwise). I just checked the Amazon site now and the black wall mount 20.0 is from Portable Guy, the black ceiling mount is from Amazon. Think I checked the Omnimount site before ordering, too and the plate is standard. Sorry, didn't order this item from you as your price was significantly higher (had it been closer would prefer a single order).

Thanks for having Dina call me about my Sierra questions. Wish I had room for other than wall/ceiling mounting, or if you had inserts appropriate for that available on the Sierra...still considering my options at this point.

Keep up the good work in any case.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #3065 of 4008 Old 02-02-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon View Post

IMO, the "value" cutoff with Ascend speakers stops with the 340s. I personally own Sierra-1 for L/R, and I did notice a slight improvement in warmth vs. Sierras but, (smiling), to tell that difference, I naturally turned the sub off for the comparison. With the VTF 3.3 on, basically say goodbye to the "improvement" unless you are a very trained listener.

Said another way, there is typically diminishing returns as you go up in price on speakers. From 200s to 170s to 340s, I notice a pretty big jump, for a relatively small price increase. Going from 340 to Sierra you pay a LOT more and get a "modest" improvement in sound. And that's about as strong a word as I'd dare to use. Again, if your setup is going to include a sub, you're mostly just paying for a shiny elegant looking, bamboo speaker that looks higher end.

To be clear, I mean my comment to be taken as a compliment to the 340, not as an insult to the Sierra-1.

What would I get? Well, obviously the Sierra-1's. But good fortune has smiled on me, and I have the money to blow. But even I have my limits. For me, that limit is - if even Ascend won't put a speaker into its standard selling lineup (reference Sierra NrT), then neither will I. I see it as me taking their unspoken advice. Besides, I'm not so good at construction, and I would dare send my babies through the hell treatment otherwise known as UPS.

The 340s do seem to be the sweet spot of home theater. I recently bought them for my front three and the lower price along with the higher sensitivity were my deciding factors. I also liked the matching stands for the 340s.

The Ascend web site has lots of measurements of the various speakers that they make which allowed me to see what I would gain in going up in price. This summer I will get some of their 200s for my surrounds.
MikeBiker is offline  
post #3066 of 4008 Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Member
 
joeycannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

FWIW I bought some ceiling and wall mount 20.0s from Amazon, they all came with the plate and hardware for using both inserts on the HTM200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

I am not so sure they are the same. Omnimount offers a lesser expensive retail packaged bracket that does not come with the UMP (universal mounting plate) This plate is needed to attach the brackets to the speaker and in our experience, it is often not included. I would call to confirm before ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

Happy to hear that, however, it probably depends on which reseller is fulfilling the order as I don't believe Amazon stocks these directly. We have had many customers call and ask us to send them the plates after purchasing the mounts at various other places. We don't stock the mounting plates and I am not sure if Omnimount will send them out on their own.

FYI i got the pair of Omnimounts from VANNS today and they do in fact come with the generic mounting plate. Happy that i don't have to source them separate or make my own.
joeycannoli is offline  
post #3067 of 4008 Old 02-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm a regular over at blu-ray.com, and was going through the various speaker threads there. The one for Ascend was nowhere near the size of the one here. I currently have an Athena set up consisting of AS-B1's(2 pairs) and an AS-C1 along with a Velodyne VX-11. I'm using an Yamaha RX-A700 as my AVR. Originally I was considering the Axiom's, but after lurking around the threads here, I decided to give the Ascend's a try. I love my Athena's but it's been going on 8 years of ownership and I felt it was time to upgrade them, and the Ascend's seem right up my alley. The fact they are natural and accurate sounding is what drew me to them. I have a 700sq. ft. apartment, and was planning on going with a pair of CBM-170's for the front channels, the CMT-340 for the center and either the CBM-170's or HTM-200's for surround use.(I may go with the HTM-200's depending on the size of the CBM-170's) Okay now for my question, I know that I can get a set of CBM-170's B-Stock for around $41 less than a new pair. Has anyone here ordered a pair B-Stock 170's before, and if so, were the cosmetic blemishes that noticable? I know they would still carry the full 5 year warranty and 30 day in home tiral. I was just curious as to anyone's experience with buying B-Stock speakers, and what they thought about them. If I can save some money over new, why not right? Look forward to being a new member here and being a part of the forums.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #3068 of 4008 Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Member
 
xmtlkidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm a regular over at blu-ray.com, and was going through the various speaker threads there. The one for Ascend was nowhere near the size of the one here. I currently have an Athena set up consisting of AS-B1's(2 pairs) and an AS-C1 along with a Velodyne VX-11. I'm using an Yamaha RX-A700 as my AVR. Originally I was considering the Axiom's, but after lurking around the threads here, I decided to give the Ascend's a try. I love my Athena's but it's been going on 8 years of ownership and I felt it was time to upgrade them, and the Ascend's seem right up my alley. The fact they are natural and accurate sounding is what drew me to them. I have a 700sq. ft. apartment, and was planning on going with a pair of CBM-170's for the front channels, the CMT-340 for the center and either the CBM-170's or HTM-200's for surround use.(I may go with the HTM-200's depending on the size of the CBM-170's) Okay now for my question, I know that I can get a set of CBM-170's B-Stock for around $41 less than a new pair. Has anyone here ordered a pair B-Stock 170's before, and if so, were the cosmetic blemishes that noticable? I know they would still carry the full 5 year warranty and 30 day in home tiral. I was just curious as to anyone's experience with buying B-Stock speakers, and what they thought about them. If I can save some money over new, why not right? Look forward to being a new member here and being a part of the forums.

Their B-stock is excellent stuff. Most times you'd never notice unless you really look. performance wise, they will be perfect.
xmtlkidx is offline  
post #3069 of 4008 Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmtlkidx View Post

Their B-stock is excellent stuff. Most times you'd never notice unless you really look. performance wise, they will be perfect.

Thanks for the response. I will most likely go this route for the front mains.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #3070 of 4008 Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Member
 
xmtlkidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post


Thanks for the response. I will most likely go this route for the front mains.

I have the 170 se's for front three and am still shocked by them. I thought I wanted a 340 center, but just can't justify it, these speakers are amazing.
xmtlkidx is offline  
post #3071 of 4008 Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've just received a pair of HTM-200SEs and I'm getting ready to wall mount them for side surrounds. The speaker is unsymmetrical with the tweeter off center. Is there a recommenced direction that the tweeter side should be on. Is it better for the tweeter side to be nearer the listening position or away from it?
MikeBiker is offline  
post #3072 of 4008 Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,716
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

I've just received a pair of HTM-200SEs and I'm getting ready to wall mount them for side surrounds. The speaker is unsymmetrical with the tweeter off center. Is there a recommenced direction that the tweeter side should be on. Is it better for the tweeter side to be nearer the listening position or away from it?

I set mine, which are front left and rights, with the tweeter on the outside so as to maximize the sound stage/stereo effect...but it probably makes little difference especially on surrounds...
lovinthehd is online now  
post #3073 of 4008 Old 02-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Senior Member
 
chas_w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

I've just received a pair of HTM-200SEs and I'm getting ready to wall mount them for side surrounds. The speaker is unsymmetrical with the tweeter off center. Is there a recommenced direction that the tweeter side should be on. Is it better for the tweeter side to be nearer the listening position or away from it?

Page 3 of the owner's manual has some suggestions:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ers_Manual.pdf
chas_w is offline  
post #3074 of 4008 Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MikeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post

Page 3 of the owner's manual has some suggestions:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ers_Manual.pdf

Somehow I missed that.
MikeBiker is offline  
post #3075 of 4008 Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Member
 
dougl99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased front 340's w/ the matching stands for the L/R. Any suggestions on a stand for the 340 center channel that will match. I can't mount to the wall. I have 32" to the bottom of the screen and the speaker is ~8" tall. I need a stand in the 18" range +/- and preferably in the $50-75 range. I like the idea of a slightly angled stand.
Thanks.
dougl99 is offline  
post #3076 of 4008 Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
After getting my tax return I purchased a pair of B-Stock 170 SE's. I can't wait for them to get here so I can compare the sound vs. the Athena's in my current set-up.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #3077 of 4008 Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Member
 
xmtlkidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

After getting my tax return I purchased a pair of B-Stock 170 SE's. I can't wait for them to get here so I can compare the sound vs. the Athena's in my current set-up.

Let us know what you think. I'm sure you'll be impressed.
xmtlkidx is offline  
post #3078 of 4008 Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....41#post5947641
So far I am enjoying the sounds of the 170 compared to my AS-B1's. I have the front left as the 170 and the front right as the AS-B1. I've only had them since Friday, so I will spend more time doing a comparison, but as of right now I'm really liking them. I was watching the Incubus-Live At Red Rocks BD in 2-channel, the midbass/midrange sounded warmer and a little bit more 'open' to me. I have a good feeling that they won't be going back to Ascend. The link I posted is to my HT thread over at blu ray.com, where I posted some pics of the speakers.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #3079 of 4008 Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello,

Are there adjustable height speaker stands with mounting brackets that fit the threaded inserts on 170s and 200s?
I'd like to be able to experiment with positioning for movies and music.

the stands have to be sturdy enough to support the weight at , say, 42" height.

do such things even exist?

thanks!
zheka is offline  
post #3080 of 4008 Old 03-26-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,716
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 2037
I elevated my Ascend ownership over the weekend, picked up a used set of Sierra-1s (L/C/R), since the 200SEs (L/C/R), while better suited to mounting on the wall/celing junction in my living room, weren't enough. Not a tax refund situation (just the opposite, gotta pay more as I didn't adjust my W4 after a partial year of employment), but rather an uncontrollable reflex action to upgrade.

Now I hear the fuss over these speakers, the image they create is amazing for their size although I don't think they're as detailed in the highs as I expected (but still in the beginning of running various material through them). I got a L/R stand set so am trying that, although I think I need to get them off the floor (one would need to sit smack center in front of a real fireplace), but maybe I can live without my usual pyro needs Also a bit of acoustics, aesthetics, too. I don't want to drill into 'em for a good ceiling/wall mount as much as I thought I wanted to either.

I'm pulling out a bunch of music I haven't listened to for a while for the 2.1 channel experience, very nice. On the movies in 5.1 or 7.1 so far simply a new experience, so am getting some familiar discs out to experiment.

Now that my 200SEs are still up on the wall I can also easily experiment with front height settings with a little plug and play for a bit of an experimental bonus (but haven't done so yet).

It' always so nice to upgrade :0)
lovinthehd is online now  
post #3081 of 4008 Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:


Now I hear the fuss over these speakers, the image they create is amazing for their size although I don't think they're as detailed in the highs as I expected (but still in the beginning of running various material through them). I got a L/R stand set so am trying that, although I think I need to get them off the floor (one would need to sit smack center in front of a real fireplace), but maybe I can live without my usual pyro needs Also a bit of acoustics, aesthetics, too. I don't want to drill into 'em for a good ceiling/wall mount as much as I thought I wanted to either.

I think that's why some decide to upgrade to the NrT tweeter. Apparently, the highs are a little more defined and less laid back. I actually enjoy the somewhat laid-back character of the stock Sierra tweeter. I think you can order the parts from Ascend and do it yourself if so inclined.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
post #3082 of 4008 Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,716
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post

I think that's why some decide to upgrade to the NrT tweeter. Apparently, the highs are a little more defined and less laid back. I actually enjoy the somewhat laid-back character of the stock Sierra tweeter. I think you can order the parts from Ascend and do it yourself if so inclined.

The center already has the upgrade. So far it seems to have been my source material so far being exposed somewhat for what it is. The better the material the better it's sounding.

Didn't know you could do the upgrade to nrt yourself.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #3083 of 4008 Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
chas_w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The center already has the upgrade. So far it seems to have been my source material so far being exposed somewhat for what it is. The better the material the better it's sounding.

Didn't know you could do the upgrade to nrt yourself.

They have instructions (with video) on the Ascend forum:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4526
chas_w is offline  
post #3084 of 4008 Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 9,716
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1597 Post(s)
Liked: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_w View Post

They have instructions (with video) on the Ascend forum:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4526

Any idea of the pricing for the kits vs sending in?
lovinthehd is online now  
post #3085 of 4008 Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
chas_w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Any idea of the pricing for the kits vs sending in?

No sorry...probably best to contact them direct:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...contactus.html
chas_w is offline  
post #3086 of 4008 Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Member
 
Pat Sexton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just posted this on the bi/di/mono/omni sticky but wanted to get some feedback from SE owners...

Setting up a dedicated HT (12.5' x 20') with two rows of seating (100% movies and HD programming). I ran into the surround (mono, bi, di, omni) problem due to the two rows, and I was wondering if this could be a posibble solution.

Decided:
AVR - Denon AVR 33312CI
L/C/R (x3)= CMT 340 SE behind an AT screen/false wall.
subs (x2) = SVS PC12 NSD

Problem:
was considering linking two mono pairs of HTM 200SE for surround at each row, And then having a another pair of HTM 200SE for rears. Then there was a discussion about problems linking the surrounds, and the clutter of 6 speakers that close to the rear wall.

Solution?
I have seen a lot of great reviews of the Mirage OMD5 but not much discussion regarding the Mirage OMD-R. I love the look of the OMD-R and am wondering if this will work mounted between the first and second row, and then useing the HTM 200's for rear surrounds to finish the 7.2.

Is the OMD-R a good fit fwith the Ascend set up?

Here's a sketch of the room with the screen wall pulled back. Please let me know what you think or what might be a better option.

Thanks,
Pat
LL
Pat Sexton is offline  
post #3087 of 4008 Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sexton View Post

Just posted this on the bi/di/mono/omni sticky but wanted to get some feedback from SE owners...

Setting up a dedicated HT (12.5' x 20') with two rows of seating (100% movies and HD programming). I ran into the surround (mono, bi, di, omni) problem due to the two rows, and I was wondering if this could be a posibble solution.

Decided:
AVR - Denon AVR 33312CI
L/C/R (x3)= CMT 340 SE behind an AT screen/false wall.
subs (x2) = SVS PC12 NSD

Problem:
was considering linking two mono pairs of HTM 200SE for surround at each row, And then having a another pair of HTM 200SE for rears. Then there was a discussion about problems linking the surrounds, and the clutter of 6 speakers that close to the rear wall.

Solution?
I have seen a lot of great reviews of the Mirage OMD5 but not much discussion regarding the Mirage OMD-R. I love the look of the OMD-R and am wondering if this will work mounted between the first and second row, and then useing the HTM 200's for rear surrounds to finish the 7.2.

Is the OMD-R a good fit fwith the Ascend set up?

Here's a sketch of the room with the screen wall pulled back. Please let me know what you think or what might be a better option.

Thanks,
Pat



Although I am not familiar with the Mirages', if I were in your shoes, I would go pick up a pair of any dipolar or bipolar models from manufactures such as Definitive Technology, Paradigm, Klipsch, ect. No need to purchase 6 sets of surrounds when a good pair of dipoles can provide a killer ambience. Use a pair of direct radiators, such as the HTM-200se's, for the rear channels, and put the dipoles on the side walls. I honestly think that is your only option as I seriously doubt your receiver can handle 6 pairs of surroud channels. First off, it does not have the speaker inputs for that many channels, and secondly, you will be seriously sucking power out of your receiver with it trying to power all of those speakers. If you don't take my advise, then I recommend you also pick up a separate power amp. You want to do that anyway, though. Good luck!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #3088 of 4008 Old 03-30-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zheka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am not familiar with OMD-Rs but am currently evaluating OMD-5s in place of Ascends 170s and 200s for surround duties. OMD-Rs seem very different from OMD-5 so none of my observations may apply.

My initial impressions of the Mirages is not very favorable. The sound is too polite and washed out. Maybe I am too used to precise imaging of the Ascends and the sound of the mirages will grow on me over time. I will give it another week or so and switch back to the Ascends for comparison.

The Mirages seem to be very dependent on room reinforcement. In my room Audyssey never measured LF rolloff for the OMD-5s below 100hz ( HTM-200s consistently measure at 70hz) . My guess is the bass traps I have in the back kill any possibility of them getting close to the advertised specs. Just something to keep in mind.

My room size and dimensions are very close to yours at 12x23x8. While i too have two rows of seating, I rarely have them all occupied. My preference is to optimize for the MLP +/- 2 feet to the left and right.

In my experience one pair of HTM-200s nicely covers middle seats in both rows. It is likely to be more problematic for the side seats being too close to the speakers and that's where omni/bi/di - poles may have an edge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sexton View Post

Just posted this on the bi/di/mono/omni sticky but wanted to get some feedback from SE owners...

Setting up a dedicated HT (12.5' x 20') with two rows of seating (100% movies and HD programming). I ran into the surround (mono, bi, di, omni) problem due to the two rows, and I was wondering if this could be a posibble solution.

Decided:
AVR - Denon AVR 33312CI
L/C/R (x3)= CMT 340 SE behind an AT screen/false wall.
subs (x2) = SVS PC12 NSD

Problem:
was considering linking two mono pairs of HTM 200SE for surround at each row, And then having a another pair of HTM 200SE for rears. Then there was a discussion about problems linking the surrounds, and the clutter of 6 speakers that close to the rear wall.

Solution?
I have seen a lot of great reviews of the Mirage OMD5 but not much discussion regarding the Mirage OMD-R. I love the look of the OMD-R and am wondering if this will work mounted between the first and second row, and then useing the HTM 200's for rear surrounds to finish the 7.2.

Is the OMD-R a good fit fwith the Ascend set up?

Here's a sketch of the room with the screen wall pulled back. Please let me know what you think or what might be a better option.

Thanks,
Pat

zheka is offline  
post #3089 of 4008 Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I can't even begin to describe how much I am enjoying the 170SE's. Such a nice, clean, natural sound, with nice imaging and dynamics I was missing from the Athena's. Can't wait to get the 340CMT center and HTM-200SE's for surround use.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #3090 of 4008 Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 3,382
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:


I can't even begin to describe how much I am enjoying the 170SE's. Such a nice, clean, natural sound, with nice imaging and dynamics I was missing from the Athena's. Can't wait to get the 340CMT center and HTM-200SE's for surround use.

I have this exact setup in the living room and am very pleased. You are in for a treat.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off