Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 104 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 102  103  104 105  106  ... Last
Speakers > Ascend SE Owner's Thread
Gov's Avatar Gov 06:53 AM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

I can't even begin to describe how much I am enjoying the 170SE's. Such a nice, clean, natural sound, with nice imaging and dynamics I was missing from the Athena's. Can't wait to get the 340CMT center and HTM-200SE's for surround use.

You need the 340SE center right away. If interested drop me a PM, I am looking to unload one

Mark_1042's Avatar Mark_1042 05:19 PM 04-04-2012
Can anyone comment on the performance of the CMT-340 SE's when used for 2.1 stereo. Where do you set your crossover? Any problems with being able to locate the subwoofer or do they do a good job in pulling the bass forward?
Operajay's Avatar Operajay 07:26 PM 04-04-2012
I own LCR Sierra 1 and currently HTM 200 SE rears.

Is there any benefit of replacing the htms with the Cbm 170 (they are NOT the SEs).

Thanks.
MikeBiker's Avatar MikeBiker 07:38 PM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_1042 View Post

Can anyone comment on the performance of the CMT-340 SE's when used for 2.1 stereo. Where do you set your crossover? Any problems with being able to locate the subwoofer or do they do a good job in pulling the bass forward?

I quite often listen to stereo music without the center or surrounds. I cross over at 80 and can not tell that the sub is working. If I turn the sub off, I definitely can tell that it was working.
cschang's Avatar cschang 07:44 PM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operajay View Post

I own LCR Sierra 1 and currently HTM 200 SE rears.

Is there any benefit of replacing the htms with the Cbm 170 (they are NOT the SEs).

IMO, the SE tweeter is a better match for the Sierra-1. I'd keep the 200SE, and use the classic 170's for something else.
cschang's Avatar cschang 07:47 PM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_1042 View Post

Can anyone comment on the performance of the CMT-340 SE's when used for 2.1 stereo. Where do you set your crossover? Any problems with being able to locate the subwoofer or do they do a good job in pulling the bass forward?

Being able to locate the sub is a function of how high you cross to the sub, and the quality of the sub itself, not the speakers.

What do you mean by pull the bass forward?
Operajay's Avatar Operajay 08:50 PM 04-04-2012
Thanks curtis...
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 08:59 PM 04-04-2012
I recently picked up a set of L/C/R Sierra 1s, the center having been upgraded to the NRT tweeter. Should I upgrade the L/R to match? Thoughts? Bon mots?
cschang's Avatar cschang 09:14 PM 04-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I recently picked up a set of L/C/R Sierra 1s, the center having been upgraded to the NRT tweeter. Should I upgrade the L/R to match? Thoughts? Bon mots?

How do you like the integration of the three speakers?

It is really a preference thing. For the best match, yes, upgrade the L/R. If you like it, and not too critical, then just enjoy.
Mark_1042's Avatar Mark_1042 12:16 PM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

I quite often listen to stereo music without the center or surrounds. I cross over at 80 and can not tell that the sub is working. If I turn the sub off, I definitely can tell that it was working.

Thanks Mike, I had figured people would typically be crossing them at 80 Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Being able to locate the sub is a function of how high you cross to the sub, and the quality of the sub itself, not the speakers.

What do you mean by pull the bass forward?

It was basically a question about crossover frequency. I see that the response curve begins to drop off around 80-90 Hz, so that seems like a good place to set the crossover, but I also wanted to know what people's personal experiences with them were. My apologies if the last line was confusing.

From what I've read bass begins to become directional at frequencies over 100 Hz, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate figure.
cschang's Avatar cschang 04:23 PM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_1042 View Post

It was basically a question about crossover frequency. I see that the response curve begins to drop off around 80-90 Hz, so that seems like a good place to set the crossover, but I also wanted to know what people's personal experiences with them were. My apologies if the last line was confusing.

From what I've read bass begins to become directional at frequencies over 100 Hz, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate figure.

Got it...no problem.

The -3dB point of the speaker is spec'd at 48hz, so a crossover to the sub is good at 60hz and above. Play around with it and see what you like.

Yes, generally speaking, sub localization starts around 100hz.
Mark_1042's Avatar Mark_1042 05:38 PM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Got it...no problem.

The -3dB point of the speaker is spec'd at 48hz, so a crossover to the sub is good at 60hz and above. Play around with it and see what you like.

Yes, generally speaking, sub localization starts around 100hz.

Thanks cschang.

I actually don't own a pair (so maybe the owner's thread was a bad place to post ), I'm just looking to get a new surround set up, possibly with the SE's.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 06:51 PM 04-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

How do you like the integration of the three speakers?

It is really a preference thing. For the best match, yes, upgrade the L/R. If you like it, and not too critical, then just enjoy.

So far it sounds good, just hard to imagine what the difference might be with the L/R matching the C. Maybe I'll play around in mono or something to see what differences between the speakers are on the same material...
ozar's Avatar ozar 07:03 AM 04-30-2012
Hello, fellow Ascend Acoustics owners!

I've just purchased a pair of CMT340 SE speakers for mains, another CMT340 for center channel, and two pairs of CBM170 speakers for surrounds. After doing some research, I chose these over the Arx, Hsu, and SVS options, so hope that it was a good choice. Unfortunately, I am not in a situation where I can listen to each of the options, so had to go on professional reviews and the personal experience posted by others. I already have a pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofers that I believe they will blend in with very well. These speakers will be replacing some Polk Monitor 60's and 30's, which will be moved to a system in another room.

Don't know when they will ship, but will report back after they've arrived and I've played around with them a bit.
xmtlkidx's Avatar xmtlkidx 08:42 AM 04-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Hello, fellow Ascend Acoustics owners!

I've just purchased a pair of CMT340 SE speakers for mains, another CMT340 for center channel, and two pairs of CBM170 speakers for surrounds. After doing some research, I chose these over the Arx, Hsu, and SVS options, so hope that it was a good choice. Unfortunately, I am not in a situation where I can listen to each of the options, so had to go on professional reviews and the personal experience posted by others. I already have a pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofers that I believe they will blend in with very well. These speakers will be replacing some Polk Monitor 60's and 30's, which will be moved to a system in another room.

Don't know when they will ship, but will report back after they've arrived and I've played around with them a bit.

I think you'll be more than happy, and with the two hsu subs, that will make one serious system. Enjoy!
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 11:54 AM 04-30-2012
Not sure if anyone would be interested, but, I have a single Sierra center that I am looking to sell. I will list it tonight, but, if anyone reading this might be interested, please feel free to pm me!
Drew888's Avatar Drew888 11:44 AM 05-04-2012
Oz,

I'm only now starting my research but just yesterday I demo'd the HSU's at thier showroom and was very impressed.

Ascend's are more expensive but does their performance justify the difference? The HSU's also get great reviews, if they are comparable I may pick them up.

It's not easy finding comparisons online nor is it easy to do locally.

Thanks,

Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Hello, fellow Ascend Acoustics owners!

I've just purchased a pair of CMT340 SE speakers for mains, another CMT340 for center channel, and two pairs of CBM170 speakers for surrounds. After doing some research, I chose these over the Arx, Hsu, and SVS options, so hope that it was a good choice. Unfortunately, I am not in a situation where I can listen to each of the options, so had to go on professional reviews and the personal experience posted by others. I already have a pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofers that I believe they will blend in with very well. These speakers will be replacing some Polk Monitor 60's and 30's, which will be moved to a system in another room.

Don't know when they will ship, but will report back after they've arrived and I've played around with them a bit.


ozar's Avatar ozar 12:24 PM 05-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

Ascend's are more expensive but does their performance justify the difference? The HSU's also get great reviews, if they are comparable I may pick them up.

It's not easy finding comparisons online nor is it easy to do locally.

Hi, Drew

Right... speakers have been by far the hardest component to fulfill, or at least that's true with my own home theater system.

Having never heard the Hsu speakers, I don't know how they compare to the Ascends. In fact, I've not heard the Ascends yet, either. They are due for delivery later this afternoon, so I'll get to hear them at some point this evening provided I don't run into any issues. The cost for the shipped Ascends came out to be $1 more than it would have been for the Hsu speakers. That said, I have a strong feeling that I would have liked the Hsu speakers and may end up purchasing them anyway at some point down the line, especially if the Ascends don't satisfy my craving for good sound.

Good luck to you with whatever you end up purchasing!
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 02:08 PM 05-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew888 View Post

Oz,

I'm only now starting my research but just yesterday I demo'd the HSU's at thier showroom and was very impressed.

Ascend's are more expensive but does their performance justify the difference? The HSU's also get great reviews, if they are comparable I may pick them up.

It's not easy finding comparisons online nor is it easy to do locally.

Thanks,

Drew

Well, you are in SoCal as is Ascend...but which Ascends do you think compare to the single model of Hsu? Maybe the 170SE...

Don't both offer a guarantee such that you could do an A/B in home (the best place to compare) and return the one that loses the competition?
Drew888's Avatar Drew888 06:04 PM 05-08-2012
^^^ Very good point, I didn't realize they were local.
fastgt79's Avatar fastgt79 03:08 PM 05-09-2012
I am interested in the ascend cmt-340. How do they compare to B&W or PSB speakers? I am looking for good soundstage, separation, dynamic and clarity like the B&W cm series or are they in different leagues?
cschang's Avatar cschang 03:13 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 View Post

I am interested in the ascend cmt-340. How do they compare to B&W or PSB speakers? I am looking for good soundstage, separation, dynamic and clarity like the B&W cm series or are they in different leagues?

I posted in your other thread.

I think you will be amazed at the 340 compared to the CM1 and the cost difference.
dougl99's Avatar dougl99 10:20 PM 05-15-2012
I need help. I have cmt340se's L/C/R and cbm170se's in the rear. I don't have room for anything other than in-wall for side surround because of a knee wall and an aisle. I want a 7.1 set-up and am using the rythmic sub-15".

I'd like to stay around $300 or so for the pair.
The room is 28 x 23 x 10.

Do I need to worry much about trying to match the side surrounds? or am I over thinking this?
xmtlkidx's Avatar xmtlkidx 09:33 AM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 View Post

I need help. I have cmt340se's L/C/R and cbm170se's in the rear. I don't have room for anything other than in-wall for side surround because of a knee wall and an aisle. I want a 7.1 set-up and am using the rythmic sub-15".

I'd like to stay around $300 or so for the pair.
The room is 28 x 23 x 10.

Do I need to worry much about trying to match the side surrounds? or am I over thinking this?

I think you'll be fine going unmatched. Others may disagree, but I have unmatched surrounds and have never once thought about it. They are your ears and its your happiness. Do what makes you and your ears happy.
MikeBiker's Avatar MikeBiker 10:35 AM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmtlkidx View Post

I think you'll be fine going unmatched. Others may disagree, but I have unmatched surrounds and have never once thought about it. They are your ears and its your happiness. Do what makes you and your ears happy.

I agree with this.
cschang's Avatar cschang 03:25 PM 05-16-2012
While I don't think having matched surrounds is essential, I do feel that once you do have match surrounds, you wouldn't want to have it any other way.

If you can't use the HTM-200SE to mount on wall, I would give Ascend a call, as I am sure they get asked this same question often.
Robert Cook's Avatar Robert Cook 04:56 PM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

While I don't think having matched surrounds is essential, I do feel that once you do have match surrounds, you wouldn't want to have it any other way.

That's exactly how I feel about the matter. Having lived with both options, I'll confirm that the surrounds are indeed the least critical in terms of timbre-matching, both amongst one another and with the front speaker, and that you can have quite a satisfying experience with just about any decent surround speaker. That said, once I started using a fully timbre-matched system, it sure didn't take me long to appreciate how seamless the whole sound field became. I used to notice my surround speakers more, but now I just experience the effect transparently--like a well-integrated subwoofer (which took me nearly forever to achieve in my HT, with numerous failed attempts), you don't notice that the speaker or channels are working, you just hear what you're supposed to hear.

When you're caught up in a movie the effect is perhaps more subtle than I'm making it out to be, but for critical listening (especially with multichannel music and how certain movies utilize the surround channels) it is surprisingly noticeable, and as cschang said, I wouldn't want to have it any other way (if I could help it). This doesn't stop me from recommending non-timbre-matched surrounds in certain cases, especially for those who would otherwise have to skimp on the quality of their front speakers due to budget considerations, but in my opinion striving for a fully timber-matched system (or close enough, anyway) is a worthwhile consideration--not the be-all-end-all, or even necessary, but still a goal to be weighed against other trade-offs.
dougl99's Avatar dougl99 06:15 PM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

While I don't think having matched surrounds is essential, I do feel that once you do have match surrounds, you wouldn't want to have it any other way.

If you can't use the HTM-200SE to mount on wall, I would give Ascend a call, as I am sure they get asked this same question often.

I went to Ascend before I posted here. No real help. Their response below.

The only in-wall speaker company I know of would be Sonance. You can
look them up online. Good luck!


Even the HTM200 would be a problem. To match the height of the speaker on the Knee wall side of the room, it would be about shoulder height...on an aisle in a dark room.

Any suggestions in the $300 a pair range that might be close to matched....even though it doesn't matter. Thanks.
cschang's Avatar cschang 06:30 PM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 View Post

I went to Ascend before I posted here. No real help. Their response below.

The only in-wall speaker company I know of would be Sonance. You can
look them up online. Good luck!


Even the HTM200 would be a problem. To match the height of the speaker on the Knee wall side of the room, it would be about shoulder height...on an aisle in a dark room.

Any suggestions in the $300 a pair range that might be close to matched....even though it doesn't matter. Thanks.

Have a look at this thread:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=720
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 06:40 PM 05-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 View Post

I went to Ascend before I posted here. No real help. Their response below.

The only in-wall speaker company I know of would be Sonance. You can
look them up online. Good luck!


Even the HTM200 would be a problem. To match the height of the speaker on the Knee wall side of the room, it would be about shoulder height...on an aisle in a dark room.

Any suggestions in the $300 a pair range that might be close to matched....even though it doesn't matter. Thanks.

Why not just put the HTM200's in the wall to keep your shoulders/knees from knocking into 'em?
Tags: Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer
First ... 102  103  104 105  106  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop