AVS Forum banner
480K views 4K replies 631 participants last post by  cyberbri 
#1 ·
My 3, 340SE's are here (central California).

The only indication of an "SE" is an oval sticker on the back that says "Signature Edition". I'm home for lunch so no time to plug 'em in yet.

See less See more
#3,206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3180#post_22596814

Well, i just placed my order, 340's across the front and a pair of 170's as sides ...

I do have a question, should I use my 13 year old htib Sub with the new speakers or remove it until I get a better one, ...

Congrats on the speakers!

Re your using your older, current sub in the interim - if your worried about it's sound quality you could always set the crossover very low, say 40Hz, so it just helps fill things out on the very low frequencies without muddying up the lower/lower-middle ranges.

#3,207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3180#post_22596921

Congrats on the speakers!

Thanks, I'm getting excited to finally have good speakers.
I expect it will be a major improvement.

#3,208 ·
#3,209 ·
If anyone has a used sierra-1 they are thinking of selling, let me know. I can manage with any finish and either stock or NrT tweeter. I also need a HTM-200SE for the center channel. I am putting together a system for my Dad for Christmas and all speakers are behind fabric in a cabinet.

PM if you have anything for sale.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brandon

#3,210 ·
Hi all - I've got 340s across the front and 170s for my surrounds.... Sitting in boxes, torturing me :). We're doing a renovation starting just after the new year so I won't get to listen to them until early march! Good news is our contractor will hang them for me... They do seem heavy. I got the 170 brackets that Ascend sells, and the brackets from Amazon they recommend for the 340's... But I must admit to be rethinking the idea of hanging the fronts. But I think it should be ok.

My question is - I need a new receiver and would love some recommendations. It's a big space, but the main listening area is about 25 x 30.

Hdmi needs are :

Panasonic plasma (3d - so I want pass through ability even if I doubt we'll watch much 3d)

br player

Dtv hd Dvr

Xbox

Maybe will ad an Apple tv at some point?

I've owned Onkyo, Marantz and Sony in the past and been happy with them, but my current Marantz is over 10 years old so Im looking for an upgrade. Don't want to go crazy on the price. Assuming around $500 but I'm ok being flexible.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Frank

#3,211 ·
I don't know how you can wait! Mine should arrive next wednesday and I can hardly contain my excitement. I also have a pair of klipsch rw-12d subs that should arrive Thursday!
I just now got done ordering Sub cables,a splitter for the subs and a 100 feet of speaker wire.

#3,212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22618501

I don't know how you can wait! Mine should arrive next wednesday and I can hardly contain my excitement. I also have a pair of klipsch rw-12d subs that should arrive Thursday!
I just now got done ordering Sub cables,a splitter for the subs and a 100 feet of speaker wire.

Congrats, I have a feeling once you have everything dialed in, you will be amazed at how everything sounds. After having my CBM-170's and CMT-340C for a few months now, I think I personally made the right choice in going with Ascend for my new speakers. Dave has a new customer for years to come, as I don't see myself parting with them anytime soon. Now just to scrape together some money for a pair of speaker stands, some new speaker wire(nothing wrong with the speaker wire I have now, but I would like to get a little bit of a longer length for the surrounds), and a pair of HTM-200's for surround use.

#3,213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22625142

Congrats, I have a feeling once you have everything dialed in, you will be amazed at how everything sounds. After having my CBM-170's and CMT-340C for a few months now, I think I personally made the right choice in going with Ascend for my new speakers. Dave has a new customer for years to come, as I don't see myself parting with them anytime soon. Now just to scrape together some money for a pair of speaker stands, some new speaker wire(nothing wrong with the speaker wire I have now, but I would like to get a little bit of a longer length for the surrounds), and a pair of HTM-200's for surround use.

I do need speaker stands and hope they get the new stands in soon so I can decide between those or opt to go with something else.

So Dave if your reading this hurry up and get the new stands for the CBM 170's!

#3,214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj325is  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3180#post_22593087

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082804&p_id=6839&seq=1&format=2

Will these fit CBM-170's? I don't want to spend a lot of money on fancy brackets since I will be moving in a few months.
Even though it can support the weight limit for the CMB-170's it did not hold up well at all. The problem was the speakers are kinda front heavy and the mount just couldn't hold it up. You get what you pay for. Then I made "floating"shelf with two "L" brackets on the left and right side of the tv. Only problem was I couldn't toe the speakers in. So eventually I made speaker stands 30"Hx9Wx10D. I've had these speakers for about 3yrs now and still enjoy them. I might just get the CMT-340's for the mains and use the 170's for surrounds. You can probably got with out a sub with this set-up because I'm running them at "large" and they sound great and only use the JTR captivator for special occasions.

#3,215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22626847

Even though it can support the weight limit for the CMB-170's it did not hold up well at all. The problem was the speakers are kinda front heavy and the mount just couldn't hold it up. You get what you pay for. Then I made "floating"shelf with two "L" brackets on the left and right side of the tv. Only problem was I couldn't toe the speakers in. So eventually I made speaker stands 30"Hx9Wx10D. I've had these speakers for about 3yrs now and still enjoy them. I might just get the CMT-340's for the mains and use the 170's for surrounds. You can probably got with out a sub with this set-up because I'm running them at "large" and they sound great and only use the JTR captivator for special occasions.

Did you build the tv stand as well? Your setup looks sharp -- I'm trying to achieve a similar look, but not having any luck with prebuilt cabinets.

#3,216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22627706

Did you build the tv stand as well? Your setup looks sharp -- I'm trying to achieve a similar look, but not having any luck with prebuilt cabinets.
That's an Ikea piece. I forgot the name of the model but you can still get it from Ikea. It's in the cabinet section I think.

#3,221 ·
I recently purchased a Panasonic 55ST50 and Denon AVR-1712. I want to achieve a 2.1, maybe 3.1 setup, for movies, video games, and music in my 11'x11'x8' room. Originally I was thinking of matching two CBM-170 SEs with a $200-300 subwoofer and then possibly adding a matching center channel down the line. I came across a post in another forum recommending two CBM-340 SEs, thus creating a phantom center, and forgoing an actual center. Would I still want a sub with the CBM-340 SEs? Would the CBM-340 SEs be overkill in my small room?

So my options are:

1) CBM-170 SEs + subwoofer for $500-600 (adding a center would increase total to $700-800)

2) CBM-340 SEs alone for $568 (adding a subwoofer would increase total to $768-868)

What do you guys think?

#3,222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22719605

I recently purchased a Panasonic 55ST50 and Denon AVR-1712. I want to achieve a 2.1, maybe 3.1 setup, for movies, video games, and music in my 11'x11'x8' room. Originally I was thinking of matching two CBM-170 SEs with a $200-300 subwoofer and then possibly adding a matching center channel down the line. I came across a post in another forum recommending two CBM-340 SEs, thus creating a phantom center, and forgoing an actual center. Would I still want a sub with the CBM-340 SEs? Would the CBM-340 SEs be overkill in my small room?

So my options are:

1) CBM-170 SEs + subwoofer for $500-600 (adding a center would increase total to $700-800)

2) CBM-340 SEs alone for $568 (adding a subwoofer would increase total to $768-868)

What do you guys think?
For movies and video games, you will definitely want a subwoofer for either setup.

Why do you think a center channel will cost you $700-$800??

#3,223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22720161

For movies and video games, you will definitely want a subwoofer for either setup.

Although I've never owned a decent sub - only a sub from a 5.1 Klipsch 5.1 PC package - that's what I was thinking. I don't need or really want room shaking bass, but I want to experience the low range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22720161

Why do you think a center channel will cost you $700-$800??

I don't think a center channel will cost me $700-800. If I add a $200 center channel to the $500-600 spent on the CBM-170 SEs and subwoofer that would equal $700-800 for the whole 3.1 setup.

#3,224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22720275

I don't think a center channel will cost me $700-800. If I add a $200 center channel to the $500-600 spent on the CBM-170 SEs and subwoofer that would equal $700-800 for the whole 3.1 setup.
Ooops...sorry, I read it wrong.

I think 3xCBM-170SE and a $300 subwoofer will do you well....a Hsu STF-2.

#3,225 ·
Or for the sub get the Klipsch RW12-D from newegg when it's on sale for 299 shipped. By the way I'm really enjoying my new speakers the only problem i have now is my interest in those new Sierra towers, thankfully there out of my price range.

By the way for anyone looking for stands for the 170's I bought the Sanus SF34B1 Black 34-inch Steel Speaker Stands and am very happy with them, I first ordered the Sanus BF-31B MDF speaker stands and they arrived banged up so i returned them and happy I did.

#3,226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22720296

Ooops...sorry, I read it wrong.

I think 3xCBM-170SE and a $300 subwoofer will do you well....a Hsu STF-2.

No worries.
Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to get this all figured out soon, like before Christmas, before the CBM-170 SE sale is over. I will most likely go with them, but am still considering the CBM-340 SEs. A dark horse is the Arx A1bs, but I haven't seen much info on them yet, especially in comparison to the CBM-170 SEs.

#3,228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22719605

So my options are:

What do you guys think?

In a room that small unless you really desire high spl I think the 170s will do fine but if you watch a lot of tvs and movies the center gets a lot of work and I'd get one, couldn't tell you about games and wouldn't matter for music unless multichannel music is in your future (thinking 5 channel in that case, though). That Klipsch RW12D sub is a good deal at 300 (I actually got one recently, while it's not a super sub it's good for the $). I'd still want a sub with pretty much any bookshelf speaker, but I like a lot of bass (I have Sierra1s L/C/R, 170SEs for surrounds, 200SEs for rear surrounds, plus 3 subs albeit in a much bigger room (about 4500 cubic feet as against your 968 cuft)

#3,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/629769/ascend-se-owners-thread/3210#post_22720860

In a room that small unless you really desire high spl I think the 170s will do fine but if you watch a lot of tvs and movies the center gets a lot of work and I'd get one, couldn't tell you about games and wouldn't matter for music unless multichannel music is in your future (thinking 5 channel in that case, though). That Klipsch RW12D sub is a good deal at 300 (I actually got one recently, while it's not a super sub it's good for the $). I'd still want a sub with pretty much any bookshelf speaker, but I like a lot of bass (I have Sierra1s L/C/R, 170SEs for surrounds, 200SEs for rear surrounds, plus 3 subs albeit in a much bigger room (about 4500 cubic feet as against your 968 cuft)

I agree...for my room I think the 170 SEs will be fine. The problem I see with the 170 SEs is if I decide to add a center the 340SE is really the only true matching center that Ascend offers, unless I'm mistaken. After shipping and taxes that's $350 for just the center. Some of the other ID companies I looked at that had bookshelf speakers for $300 a pair also had centers for $150-200. I'm also limited on space and placement options for a center and the 340 SE is bigger than some of the other companies offerings. What to do.

#3,230 ·
Well there is a 170SE center speaker and there's nothing wrong with using just a regular 170SE (but you'd have to call to arrange the order) and they're so squarish it isn't a huge difference positioned vertical or horizontal. Three 340SEs on the other hand are a nice ideal all the same...but they are fairly large.

Not even sure the 170SE Center is anything but a grill with the logo appropriately positioned (maybe the rear terminal as well). There's no waveguide on my 170SEs so can't see how positioning is that critical horizontal vs vertical.