Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3871 of 3992 Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 895
If youre just as interested in music as you are movies and you want the best sound quality you can get I highly suggest the Sierra 1 over the 340. The S1 will provide better sq for music and will have plenty of output in a room that small.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3872 of 3992 Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Trace79, my opinion is just that, as I haven't used the 340, but do have Sierra-1s (NrT), 170SEs & 200SEs. My general impression is that the 340 should be able to fill a larger room better than a Sierra1 from what I've read. I've been happy now in two fairly large rooms with the Sierra-1s performance, though I rock out occasionally, my higher volumes aren't usually music but is regularly for movies. Previous room (just recently moved) was something like 23 x 19 x 10; (high vaulted ceiling but adjusted) think 4500 cuft plus open to a stairwell/downstairs and often other rooms that had doors. My current living room is 32 x 15 x 8 plus an extra height and depth at one end so figure 4200 cuft, plus a fairly large opening to a good sized dining/kitchen area. I've got the Sierra-1s across the front, 170SEs as surrounds, 200SEs as rear surrounds. I think you'd be happy in your size room with the Sierras easily if you want to spend the coin but might give the edge to the 340 for the use you specify, and either would be a good decision.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is offline  
post #3873 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Trace79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks for the replies. I just checked out Newc33's thread posting the YouTube bids of his CMT-340's with dual RV15HP's and damn! Much bigger room and he was hitting 90dB from his MLP. I know its inaccurate to try and replay the sq so won't go off that. Sure sounded nice even through the recording though.
I'm guessing with the Sierra 1's I can expect a louder soundstage because of my small room. The CMP-340's would destroy though lol. Anyone know how much dB or SPL difference there would be roughly, between these two?
Here's the link just for future ref.http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517338/ascend-plus-rythmik-demo-vids-enjoy#post_24346206
Trace79 is offline  
post #3874 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

Thanks for the replies. I just checked out Newc33's thread posting the YouTube bids of his CMT-340's with dual RV15HP's and damn! Much bigger room and he was hitting 90dB from his MLP. I know its inaccurate to try and replay the sq so won't go off that. Sure sounded nice even through the recording though.
I'm guessing with the Sierra 1's I can expect a louder soundstage because of my small room. The CMP-340's would destroy though lol. Anyone know how much dB or SPL difference there would be roughly, between these two?
Here's the link just for future ref.http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517338/ascend-plus-rythmik-demo-vids-enjoy#post_24346206
Either one will handle more power than your AVR can put out if youre listening in a 5 channel mode. Lots of people use an external amp with them if you want ear bleeding sound levels. Id bet that Newc33 is using one. Your room is so small though that you would have to really want outrageous levels to need an external amp. But keep in mind its just as easy to damage speakers by clipping your amp as it is by giving them too much power.
Both speakers have very good sound quality. If youre looking for the loudest speaker with the best value I would get the 340. If youre really looking for the best sound quality then get the S1.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #3875 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Trace79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Either one will handle more power than your AVR can put out if youre listening in a 5 channel mode. Lots of people use an external amp with them if you want ear bleeding sound levels. Id bet that Newc33 is using one. Your room is so small though that you would have to really want outrageous levels to need an external amp. But keep in mind its just as easy to damage speakers by clipping your amp as it is by giving them too much power.
Both speakers have very good sound quality. If youre looking for the loudest speaker with the best value I would get the 340. If youre really looking for the best sound quality then get the S1.

I'm definitely learning towards the Sierra 1s for Ascend. I was reading in the Sierra thread and discovered the RAAL upgrade that's available. I love that concept as it will probably be used down the road. And right now I have no idea how loud I'll be able to push them stock but there is that 30 day demo to try them out and find out. SQ definitely reigns supreme over SPL so I'll give the 340's a pass I think.

The more I read about these the closer they sound in the reviews as a close comparison to SVS' Ultra bookshelfs which are slightly more expensive. Other factors to consider would be the Sierra 1 center vs the SVS Ultra center too as I'm going for a complete package with the SVS being about $300 more for the center channel.

Regarding the surrounds for Ascend and SVS both, I feel I'd be getting a different brand as SVS surrounds are a crazy $1200 but wall mountable and the Ascend 170's need too much room away from the wall due to the rear port :/.

Lastly, and I don't know how much of a difference this will make, but my sub will be an SVS PC12-Plus so it may integrate with the Ultras slightly better. The only critique I read on the Sierra1 was a slight lack of midrange but great bass. Of course, with a sub, the bass is null regardless of speaker.

I know I still have time to make a decision but these two are the highest contenders right now. When the time comes, and if the funds allow, I may just have to get both and sample them side by side smile.gif.

And then there is the Sierra 2 to think about as well smile.gif. The more I read about Ascend, the more respect I have for them as a company in general...same reasons I'm a fan of SVS. Going to be a tough one.
Trace79 is offline  
post #3876 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 7,602
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
The 200SE is a good surround and sealed so good with on wall mounting...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz


lovinthehd is offline  
post #3877 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Trace,
3" is too far away from the wall for the 170s? Lots of people have wall mounted them.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #3878 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have all my 170's wall mounted and think they look fine.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
post #3879 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post

I have all my 170's wall mounted and think they look fine.
Can you post a link to the mount you use?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #3880 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
These are the mounts I used since the Omni mounts were not available. They work good and I have had no problems with them.

2 Pack wall mounts

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
post #3881 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 895
It seems like thats what a lot of people use. This is the same thing and is cheaper here:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392230990&sr=1-1&keywords=video+secu+speaker+mount

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #3882 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Trace79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Trace,
3" is too far away from the wall for the 170s? Lots of people have wall mounted them.

I was saying that based on another person's perspective that they needed about a foot of space from the wall. I suppose everyone has preferences. The 200SE looks more attractive but I've read people prefer the 170's performance over it though. Due to my small room, a small surround without small sound is ideal. I'll have to make a custom stand for the right surround too since that wall is brick and I am not allowed to drill into it. There's furniture there as well so that's why I say custom. Hence, a smaller surround is ideal.
Trace79 is offline  
post #3883 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

I was saying that based on another person's perspective that they needed about a foot of space from the wall. I suppose everyone has preferences. The 200SE looks more attractive but I've read people prefer the 170's performance over it though. Due to my small room, a small surround without small sound is ideal. I'll have to make a custom stand for the right surround too since that wall is brick and I am not allowed to drill into it. There's furniture there as well so that's why I say custom. Hence, a smaller surround is ideal.
As surrounds, the performance difference between the 170SE and 200SE is not a deal breaker IMO.

I use the 200SE as surrounds, and they are great. I used to use 170SE, but changed to the 200SE's due to mounting and aesthetics...and they haven't missed a beat. This is with Sierra-1's up front.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #3884 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markham,Ont
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

As surrounds, the performance difference between the 170SE and 200SE is not a deal breaker IMO.

I use the 200SE as surrounds, and they are great. I used to use 170SE, but changed to the 200SE's due to mounting and aesthetics...and they haven't missed a beat. This is with Sierra-1's up front.


Hey Curtis....if you go with the S2 and replace your mains will you feel the same about the surrounds?

Btw...I use the 200se with the Towers....and like them plenty enough...just not sure how I would feel with the RAAL across the front.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
Billy p is offline  
post #3885 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Hey Curtis....if you go with the S2 and replace your mains will you feel the same about the surrounds?

Btw...I use the 200se with the Towers....and like them plenty enough...just not sure how I would feel with the RAAL across the front.
Good question. I don't know, and will have to deal with it when the time comes. If I can swing it, I would love to have S2's all the way around.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #3886 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Trace79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I haven't found the S2's on the website. Are they released yet?
Trace79 is offline  
post #3887 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

I haven't found the S2's on the website. Are they released yet?
They are released, but not officially on the website.

There is a thread about them on the Ascend forum, with ordering info in the first post.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4978-Sierra-2-Development-Thread

There is also a dedicated Sierra thread here on AVS that was started with the Sierra-1 almost 7 years ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/849859/the-official-ascend-acoustics-sierra-thread

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #3888 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 895
That explains it. I saw some discussion about the S2 over at Ascend and I thought someone even said they had received them. Cant wait to see some pictures and specs.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #3889 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

That explains it. I saw some discussion about the S2 over at Ascend and I thought someone even said they had received them. Cant wait to see some pictures and specs.
There are pics and specs(measurements) in the Ascend thread I linked. Also pics in the Sierra thread here at AVS....that I also linked.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #3890 of 3992 Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,534
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

There are pics and specs(measurements) in the Ascend thread I linked. Also pics in the Sierra thread here at AVS....that I also linked.
Ahh..sorry. I didnt even click the links. Im running around about 10 different threads right now trying to help some people. I will check it out later.
Thanks.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #3891 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Can the CMT340SE withstand loud playback at reference level (13feet distance to listening position)? How's the dynamic? Will it be suitable as HT speakers?

Anyone play it at reference level? Clean or distort?

Has anyone compare it against the Klipsch RB61 or RC62 or any of the Klipsch Synergy budget series?
Skylinestar is online now  
post #3892 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
pmanyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am considering these speakers (340se) to replace B & W sats. However, I am hesitant because I noticed that they haven't been refreshed in quite some time. Now I am leaning toward the new B & W refresh of the 600 series. (685's and a htm62 center). I have two questions:

1. How would the ascend 340se stack up against the B & W 685? Especially for that heavy sound and impact for HT use.

2. Do you guys think the 340se will be receiving a refresh soon? I noticed the sierra 2's just came out; aren't the 340 se's getting a little old (2005 I think). If there is no planned refresh, how do they stack up against today's bookshelf systems in the 1000-1500 dollar price range?


Thanks
pmanyon is offline  
post #3893 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post

I am considering these speakers (340se) to replace B & W sats. However, I am hesitant because I noticed that they haven't been refreshed in quite some time. Now I am leaning toward the new B & W refresh of the 600 series. (685's and a htm62 center). I have two questions:

You do realize that speaker manufacturers like to do frequent "refreshes" to get loyal fans to upgrade more frequently. A good sounding speaker designed 10 years ago can still be a good sounding speaker today. So price/performance value is way more important than when the speaker was designed.

Also, if I am not mistaken, there is a lot of criticism of the center channels used with the B&W 600 series--you might want to look into that. On the other hand, the BEST center channel is one that is an exact match to the left and right, which is the same speaker, not the horizontal center channel that companies typically sell. With the CMT-340 SEs you get the exact same speaker in a center channel to give you a better match than you can get from manufacturer center channels like the HTM62.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #3894 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
pmanyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks for the response, would you say the 340se set is the best speaker for the dollar at that price? The reason I am asking about a refresh is because I would like to wait a little if there will be one soon. I do realize that these are usually marginal upgrades, but I like to buy products right when they are updated, so I don't feel like I could have made a better purchase if I waited a month.
pmanyon is offline  
post #3895 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post

Thanks for the response, would you say the 340se set is the best speaker for the dollar at that price? The reason I am asking about a refresh is because I would like to wait a little if there will be one soon. I do realize that these are usually marginal upgrades, but I like to buy products right when they are updated, so I don't feel like I could have made a better purchase if I waited a month.
The 340SE is probably Ascend's best "bang for the buck".

Something to keep in mind, for every Ascend speaker that has been "refreshed" since it's first speaker, the CBM-170, the older generation has been upgradeable to the newer generation.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #3896 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Can the CMT340SE withstand loud playback at reference level (13feet distance to listening position)? How's the dynamic? Will it be suitable as HT speakers?

Anyone play it at reference level? Clean or distort?

Has anyone compare it against the Klipsch RB61 or RC62 or any of the Klipsch Synergy budget series?
It is great for home theater...dynamic and loud.

As for "reference level"...you do realize that is 105db peaks from one speaker, right? In a typical room, you will need 300 watts per channel to achieve that. Also, "reference level" is a spec meant for actual commercial theaters. In a typical home theater, since the room is smaller, there is much more direct sound, the same "sound and feel" is achieved at much lower levels depending on the room.

Have you actually measured your listening levels? What speakers do you use now?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #3897 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I play most of my movies at -10 and if I really want to impress at 0 and can tell you that the 340's will deliver great HT sound. I sit roughly 9 ft. from LP but even if I move to the back of the room, the quality and loudness is deafening. I Like it. biggrin.gif

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
post #3898 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
pmanyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is the midrange thump or impact good on the 340SE? Do they sound heavy for HT? I see that they have a lower end of 45hz, what do owners cross them over at? I have a pb2000, how will they match with that subwoofer? I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the 340se 5 speaker system.
pmanyon is offline  
post #3899 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,767
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post

Is the midrange thump or impact good on the 340SE? Do they sound heavy for HT? I see that they have a lower end of 45hz, what do owners cross them over at? I have a pb2000, how will they match with that subwoofer? I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the 340se 5 speaker system.

They will work great with the PB-2000. Cross them over at either 60 or 80hz, whichever sounds best to you smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #3900 of 3992 Old 02-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have mine crossed at 80 but have tried 60 and find that the 80 crossover is what I like.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
BCRSS is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off