post #3931 of 3953 Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
Any thoughts on how Ascend compares to Axiom? CMT-340 vs. M22; CBM-170 vs M3? (100% HT.)
FWIW...the CBM-170SE and the M22 are comparable to each other despite the difference in price and drivers. The M3 isn't even in the ballpark IMO.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3953 Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks. Will be looking to put in an order soon, matched with PSA XV15se...or dual Rythmik LV12R...

Last edited by JeffAV; 06-25-2014 at 03:23 AM.
post #3933 of 3953 Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone compared the CMT-340se against the EMP Tek E55Ti? Choosing speakers is tough! There are too many choices and I am not too fond of having to audition several and deal with the returning and paying the return shipping of the ones I don't want. One day I think I have finally made up my mind and the next day I am thinking something completely different!
post #3934 of 3953 Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ascend cmt-340

I set up 7.2 all Ascend CMT-340 surround speakers about 7 years ago, it still sound fantastic.

I upgraded my AV Receiver to Denon AVR 4520CI just few months ago.
This Denon is capable to drive full 11.2 speakers surround system.
I am thinking to upgrade the 7.2 system to 9.2 system.
Due to space limitation, I cannot do the full 11.2 with add on center wide speakers (front left and right wide).
I can only add HIGH front speakers (left and right).

Question:
How good is the 9.2 system compare to my current 7.2 system? I mostly watching movies in my HT Room.
Is it worth the investment for extra front HIGHT front speakers (2 units of Ascend CMT-340).

Any comments are most appreciated. Thanks.
post #3935 of 3953 Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post
I set up 7.2 all Ascend CMT-340 surround speakers about 7 years ago, it still sound fantastic.

I upgraded my AV Receiver to Denon AVR 4520CI just few months ago.
This Denon is capable to drive full 11.2 speakers surround system.
I am thinking to upgrade the 7.2 system to 9.2 system.
Due to space limitation, I cannot do the full 11.2 with add on center wide speakers (front left and right wide).
I can only add HIGH front speakers (left and right).

Question:
How good is the 9.2 system compare to my current 7.2 system? I mostly watching movies in my HT Room.
Is it worth the investment for extra front HIGHT front speakers (2 units of Ascend CMT-340).

Any comments are most appreciated. Thanks.
Dolby Atmos gear just started coming out. You might want to think about that

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3936 of 3953 Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Haven't read the whole thread - it is a long one. Anyplace where the 170s and Sierras are compared?

Thanks
post #3937 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Visit Ascend's forum and you can read plenty of comparisons as well as questions from perspective swappers answered by Dave over a number of years - both have been around for a while. As an owner of a pair of 1s and 2s, I have no doubt you'll notice a substantial difference if you make the jump, even if you just go with the "stock" tweeter. Remember you also have a 30 day audition window, I am doing that right now with some HTM-200s I bought for possible Atmos/surround use.
post #3938 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Visit Ascend's forum and you can read plenty of comparisons as well as questions from perspective swappers answered by Dave over a number of years
I have searched the forum and the most I have seen so far is "more detailed" and deeper bass. Maybe there is not other way to describe the sound.

Thanks
post #3939 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donindc View Post
I have searched the forum and the most I have seen so far is "more detailed" and deeper bass. Maybe there is not other way to describe the sound.
Not sure where you are reading, but the Sierra-1 is more detailed and refined, deeper/punchier bass. The midrange is more open (the 170SE is pretty freaking good at that too...especially for a $350 speaker), the treble is smoother.

It is difficult to put sound into words, and it is obviously better to experience it. Maybe you can find owners in your area.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #3940 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
Not sure where you are reading, but the Sierra-1 is more detailed and refined, deeper/punchier bass. The midrange is more open (the 170SE is pretty freaking good at that too...especially for a $350 speaker), the treble is smoother.

It is difficult to put sound into words, and it is obviously better to experience it. Maybe you can find owners in your area.
Thanks! The mythical Curtis. I remember reading on the Axiom forums comments about the M22 / CBM170 comparisons you and others made. Do you still sell the speaker your company designed? Sounded good.
post #3941 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks! The mythical Curtis. I remember reading on the Axiom forums comments about the M22 / CBM170 comparisons you and others made. Do you still sell the speaker your company designed? Sounded good.
Wow...that was a long time ago!

Yes, still sell the speaker at Wave Crest Audio.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #3942 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
The mythical curtis.
I heard he doesn't even really exist. He's like the cyber version of Kaiser Soze.
cschang likes this.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #3943 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
I heard he doesn't even really exist. He's like the cyber version of Kaiser Soze.
Or one of David Fabrikant's other personalities?
post #3944 of 3953 Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ha! Dave has enough on his plate!

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #3945 of 3953 Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Sierras vs Mackie 824s? Anyone compared the two? Or compared Mackies to the CBM170s?

Mackies are much easier to come by than even Sierra 1s. And Mackies are thought to be a standard bearer - at least for studios. I think.

Thanks for indulging me!

Curtis' take on Mackies - http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/arc...hp/t-3727.html
post #3946 of 3953 Old 09-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Huh?

Not sure I follow you.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of

post #3947 of 3953 Old 09-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Huh?

Not sure I follow you.
Just a bad joke - Curtis has been aligned with Ascend for so long that I thought it might be funny. But it probably isn't. Nothing but high regard for your speakers and the way you do business.
post #3948 of 3953 Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Just a bad joke - Curtis has been aligned with Ascend for so long that I thought it might be funny. But it probably isn't. Nothing but high regard for your speakers and the way you do business.

Ahh - no worries Yeah, years ago people (and our competitors) would often accuse Curtis of working for us. Never has.

I actually haven't seen him in quite a while now, he sometimes visits us with others to do some listening in our demo room. He remains one of the most honest and ethical audio enthusiasts I have ever come across.

Thanks for the nice comments and please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance.
holt7153 likes this.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of

post #3949 of 3953 Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Ahh - no worries Yeah, years ago people (and our competitors) would often accuse Curtis of working for us. Never has.

I actually haven't seen him in quite a while now, he sometimes visits us with others to do some listening in our demo room. He remains one of the most honest and ethical audio enthusiasts I have ever come across.

Thanks for the nice comments and please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance.
Thanks Dave...

I guess I got to visit again soon.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #3950 of 3953 Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks! The mythical Curtis.
Just for clarity - in grad school the word myth was used not in terms of real or fake - but as culture shaping, important to how people see reality. I guess it is a philosophy and theology thing. Stories of Jesus or in the Hebrew scriptures were culture shaping whether they are literally true or not. I realize that most dictionaries define it as pretend or fake - supernatural but not literal - like George Washington chopping cherry trees, or how many people view Jesus walking on water. OTOH, GW boating accross the Delaware was a mythical event even though literally true.

Curtis is mythical to me cause discussions he was part of influenced me to buy CBM 170s. Not because I think he is not real. He shows up at shootouts, and is very fair in assessing non ascend speakers, and has his own speaker for sale. I am just trying to say he is supernatural and won the revolutionary war.

Anyway, enough of that.

Last edited by donindc; 09-06-2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: coffee finally kicked in
post #3951 of 3953 Old 09-06-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Just for clarity - in grad school the word myth was used not in terms of real or fake - but as culture shaping, important to how people see reality. I guess it is a philosophy and theology thing. Stories of Jesus or in the Hebrew scriptures were culture shaping whether they are literally true or not. I realize that most dictionaries define it as pretend or fake - supernatural but not literal - like George Washington chopping cherry trees, or how many people view Jesus walking on water. OTOH, GW boating accross the Delaware was a mythical event even though literally true.

Curtis is mythical to me cause discussions he was part of influenced me to buy CBM 170s. Not because I think he is not real. He shows up at shootouts, and is very fair in assessing non ascend speakers, and has his own speaker for sale. I am just trying to say he is supernatural and won the revolutionary war.

Anyway, enough of that.
lol Holy smokes! How much did he pay you for that?
post #3952 of 3953 Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for any CMT-340 owners in the Northern Virginia area. I would love to check out the sound of these speakers. I live in Winchester, which is a pretty easy drive to almost anywhere in NoVa...or southern Maryland.
post #3953 of 3953 Old 09-11-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Honestly, how is the HVL-1 compared to 170S?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page