Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #4111 of 4135 Old 07-16-2016, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
@Rfitz89 Yep, sounds like the difference is in placement of the center....got a pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4135 Old 07-17-2016, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I will put one up next week. I'm out all this week. It just seems odd to me. Should I be crossing it at 80 manually anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4113 of 4135 Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfitz89 View Post
I will put one up next week. I'm out all this week. It just seems odd to me. Should I be crossing it at 80 manually anyway?
Maybe if you go to that 4 inch position where its set for 80hz but don't lower a crossover setting generally (raising is okay). Why does it seem odd to you? The crossover is set on the perception of the f3 point of the speaker and that can be influenced by position as you've seen. Might be a better placement, too.
post #4114 of 4135 Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2091 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfitz89 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have a competent sub set them all at 80. 40 is too low for LR.
post #4115 of 4135 Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Hey, I'm looking at possibly getting 4 340SEs and matching center to replace 4 Pioneer FS52s and matching center.

Other set I'm considering are the Emptek R55tis

Hoping some folks here might have some input on the two choices....

Either would be pairing with a JTR Captivator 1400, so bass isn't a problem.

Usage is about 50% movies/TV, 40% video games, 10% music (though that'd be anything from classic rock to actual classical music)

Amp would be a Denon X3300W.

Room is 20x14x8, with the pairs of speakers on the long walls- fronts about 3 feet from MLP and 5 feet from each other; rears about 7-8 feet from MLP and about 5 feet from each other.

So I've done a bunch of reading through threads on these speakers... lots of positive reviews on both.... relatively few (surprisingly few given how often they're recommended) direct comparisons though.

From the few I've found I've seen these remarks:

The Ascends are very neutral, very accurate, though one review suggested they might be too bright or aggressive on highs? (which seems to contradict the neutral thing)

The Empteks are warmer, the bass isn't as deep (irrelevant in my case with the sub), and the highs roll off (only a tiny bit, or a whole lot, depending on reviewer)- but there's an emphasis in the mids (again tiny or large depending who you ask)

That kind of seems like the Empteks are a little better choice for use that's primary HT and Gaming (which is what I'm doing).... while the Ascends would be better if use were primarily music.... Does that seem right?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kurtz9; 10-06-2016 at 09:02 PM.
post #4116 of 4135 Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello Guys.
I'm considering changing out my LCR's. Currently running Klipsch KL650's Ultra 2's. I've had them for about 9 years now and itching for a change. Love what I read about these Ascends, especially the Sierra 2's with the Raal tweeter.
100% movies, no music listening in the home theater.
My room is 24'x24' with 12' ceilings, roughly 7000 cubic feet. A 138" diagonal AT screen at one end with speakers placed behind. I sit 11' from the screen, dead center.
I prefer crisp detailed and airy speakers and listen at moderate to low levels, typically around -20db, sometimes as loud as -15db.
Would the Sierra 2's as LCR be able to put out enough sound for my size room?
Or would the CMT-340's be better across the front?
Thanks for the opinions!
post #4117 of 4135 Old 10-06-2016, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^
post #4118 of 4135 Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I'd advise to try them both and decide. The RAAL changes things... I think the S2 are absolutely worth a listen.
cel4145 likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend CBM-170 SE surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules
SVS PB12 Plus (x2) PSA XV15SE (x2)
Denon X4200w / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Samsung UHD BD K8500
Sony XBR75X940C / Samsung 60F8000
post #4119 of 4135 Old 10-07-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They wont fill that big of a room like the 340s though.
post #4120 of 4135 Old 10-07-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 2739
True about filling the room at loud volumes. But he said he listens at "at moderate to low levels" and is 11' away. Seems like the Sierra 2s would be fine.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #4121 of 4135 Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks guys!
My KL 650's play pretty loud even at -15db on the volume knob. My wife says -20db is even a bit loud for her preference. Could this be due to the efficiency of the 650's?
Are the S2's efficient, easy to power?
I'm intrigued by the Raal tweeter, not ever hearing one before. I think I'll try the S2's first.
post #4122 of 4135 Old 10-10-2016, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post
Hey, I'm looking at possibly getting 4 340SEs and matching center to replace 4 Pioneer FS52s and matching center.

Other set I'm considering are the Emptek R55tis

Hoping some folks here might have some input on the two choices....

Either would be pairing with a JTR Captivator 1400, so bass isn't a problem.

Usage is about 50% movies/TV, 40% video games, 10% music (though that'd be anything from classic rock to actual classical music)

Amp would be a Denon X3300W.

Room is 20x14x8, with the pairs of speakers on the long walls- fronts about 3 feet from MLP and 5 feet from each other; rears about 7-8 feet from MLP and about 5 feet from each other.

So I've done a bunch of reading through threads on these speakers... lots of positive reviews on both.... relatively few (surprisingly few given how often they're recommended) direct comparisons though.

From the few I've found I've seen these remarks:

The Ascends are very neutral, very accurate, though one review suggested they might be too bright or aggressive on highs? (which seems to contradict the neutral thing)

The Empteks are warmer, the bass isn't as deep (irrelevant in my case with the sub), and the highs roll off (only a tiny bit, or a whole lot, depending on reviewer)- but there's an emphasis in the mids (again tiny or large depending who you ask)

That kind of seems like the Empteks are a little better choice for use that's primary HT and Gaming (which is what I'm doing).... while the Ascends would be better if use were primarily music.... Does that seem right?

Any input greatly appreciated.
I can vouch for the 340s', I have them and love them, and won't trade them for any other speakers in that price range. They are neutral and certainly not bright or aggressive on the highs. However, being neutral also means poor quality recordings will sound - you guessed it, poor. This may largely happen with a lot of TV content, and low quality content over radio. The 340s' throw a huge and accurate 3D soundstage in the stereo mode, which I just love!

Comparing the frequency response, you can see the CMT-340 SE is almost ruler flat, while the EmpTek is not. While this doesn't tell you anything about how the speakers will sound in your room, it gives you starting point for further research.

The differences mentioned irrelevant with a modern AVR like the Denon driving them or unless you are listening critically (I doubt anyone does that for HT and Gaming), so it all boils down to the WAF, as well as aesthetics and placement decisions.

Still confused? Best option is to opt for the 30-day in-home trial for both Ascend and EmpTek - only *your* ears and *your* home can decide which ones sounds incredible and which goes back! Good luck.
Bails52 and xpostal like this.
post #4123 of 4135 Old 11-07-2016, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm looking at Ascend speakers for height and wide surround for a 5.1.4 surround setup. Should I purchase the enclosed HTM-200se because then I don't have to worry how close to the wall they are, or should I buy the CBM-170se because they have better stats?

17.5' deep room 23' wide 8' high ceilings. I was also wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't side mount the speakers. If I side mount, should I turn the tweeter 90 degrees?
post #4124 of 4135 Old 11-14-2016, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morames View Post
I'm looking at Ascend speakers for height and wide surround for a 5.1.4 surround setup. Should I purchase the enclosed HTM-200se because then I don't have to worry how close to the wall they are, or should I buy the CBM-170se because they have better stats?

17.5' deep room 23' wide 8' high ceilings. I was also wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't side mount the speakers. If I side mount, should I turn the tweeter 90 degrees?
The HDM-200's should be plenty for the height and surrounds. The 170's are pretty chunky solid speaker, essentially a half 340 which to me is a large "bookshelf" speaker. As long as you have a sub, the HTM-200 would be plenty of speaker for that application. I use them for my surrounds in a 7.1 setup and they blend in nicely with the 340's up front.

I don't think you need to touch the tweeter. In surround duty I have not been able to determine any difference with them mounted horizontally or vertically. My sides are vertical and the rears are horizontal, mostly due to setup of my room. I believe I read something on Ascend's site about this, possibly their forum. If I found it I will post it for you.

Had I gone with the 170's I think I would have had push back from the wife even in "my" space. The 200's are not small speakers. If/When I go full Atmos, I think I will be mounting 4 in the ceiling similar to what was done in this thread.
TKNice's Theater Construction Thread
post #4125 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just wanted to post here.. i have had my Ascends for about 2 years now.. when they were about 18 months old i had one go bad.. (the cone in the middle of the speaker is made out of metal and barely epoxied in.. i have had 2 come loose on me now. But at the time i didnt know that.. i figured Hmmm long warranty. So i call up the company and a woman there named Dino Or Dana or something like that (been awhile) tells me not to bother sending it back, if it's over a year old it won't be a defect so no warranty. Which essentially means that their warranty is only 1 year if they can't weasel out of that even. I have zero faith in this company. i ended up buying a replacement speaker at full cost. and regret not going with HSU or someone else.. live and learn though.. just posting this here as a warning.

P.S. sorry if i had posted this before.. i rarely come here anymore and saw the thread pop up..
post #4126 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
That's bizarre. The warranties that I can see are 5 years on the lower end models like the 170, 340, and 200. The Sierras all look to come with a 7 yr warranty.
So it makes no sense that Dina would tell you they wouldn't honor a 2 yr old purchase- unless the damage was due to accident or mishandling.

FWIW I've had my 170's for over 14 years and they are still going strong without issue. Built like a mini tank. I still have full faith in Ascend, though I wish they were easier to get a hold of (this week is probably going to be worse for contacting them anyway).
cel4145 likes this.
post #4127 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post
Just wanted to post here.. i have had my Ascends for about 2 years now.. when they were about 18 months old i had one go bad.. (the cone in the middle of the speaker is made out of metal and barely epoxied in.. i have had 2 come loose on me now. But at the time i didnt know that.. i figured Hmmm long warranty. So i call up the company and a woman there named Dino Or Dana or something like that (been awhile) tells me not to bother sending it back, if it's over a year old it won't be a defect so no warranty. Which essentially means that their warranty is only 1 year if they can't weasel out of that even. I have zero faith in this company. i ended up buying a replacement speaker at full cost. and regret not going with HSU or someone else.. live and learn though.. just posting this here as a warning.

P.S. sorry if i had posted this before.. i rarely come here anymore and saw the thread pop up..
Hmmm… I am sorry to read this. This is definitely not how we handle warranty / repair issues here. Since reading your post, we went back through our records for 6 months and we have only shipped 2 replacement woofers over this period of time. I am not sure if one of these is yours.

This sounds like a miscommunication to me… Generally speaking, if a speaker has been used for a while (typically a year or more) we do discourage sending the speaker back to us as a problem can typically be isolated to a single component with some simple troubleshooting. Shipping a complete speaker back to us is a hassle and usually costs more in shipping than it does to replace a single component, plus there is always the risk of shipping damage. This is a convenience and a cost savings measure for the customer. However, if a customer would rather return the speaker - it is always welcome.

That said, once the problematic component is isolated – we ship a replacement to the customer and expect that the customer then return the suspect component back to us. Once we receive and inspect the returned component, we let the customer know our findings and if it is a warranty issue, immediately refund back the costs of the replacement component. This is how we have been handling warranty/non-warranty repairs since day one – and is basically how most speaker companies handle these things.

I am a bit confused as to the description of your problem, and perhaps that is where the miscommunication with Dina stems from – as we don’t use any metal cone woofers or metal dome tweeters in any of our products. It sounds like you are describing a dust cap that has somehow become unglued – this would be extremely rare but I suppose it could happen, in which case it would typically be covered under our warranty.

Did you email us any pictures regarding this?

I encourage you to reach out to me directly as both Dina and I are having difficulty trying to determine who you are.

Thanks in advance!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4128 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan XM View Post
I still have full faith in Ascend, though I wish they were easier to get a hold of (this week is probably going to be worse for contacting them anyway).

We are here... have you tried calling?

David Fabrikant

post #4129 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Actually i have spoken to you a few times and sent pics of the speaker in question.. it's not a big deal anymore i just don't want people to expect a long warranty when the exact words Dina (sorry bout forgetting her name earlier) used were "If it's over a year it won't be a manufacturing defect" which is the same as no warranty over a year.. Water under the bridge now i just wanted people to know what to expect. Great product btw.. although that center cone i would have some grooves machined into for the epoxy to hold a little better..

I will say that my dealings with you in email though were top notch and prompt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Hmmm… I am sorry to read this. This is definitely not how we handle warranty / repair issues here. Since reading your post, we went back through our records for 6 months and we have only shipped 2 replacement woofers over this period of time. I am not sure if one of these is yours.

This sounds like a miscommunication to me… Generally speaking, if a speaker has been used for a while (typically a year or more) we do discourage sending the speaker back to us as a problem can typically be isolated to a single component with some simple troubleshooting. Shipping a complete speaker back to us is a hassle and usually costs more in shipping than it does to replace a single component, plus there is always the risk of shipping damage. This is a convenience and a cost savings measure for the customer. However, if a customer would rather return the speaker - it is always welcome.

That said, once the problematic component is isolated – we ship a replacement to the customer and expect that the customer then return the suspect component back to us. Once we receive and inspect the returned component, we let the customer know our findings and if it is a warranty issue, immediately refund back the costs of the replacement component. This is how we have been handling warranty/non-warranty repairs since day one – and is basically how most speaker companies handle these things.

I am a bit confused as to the description of your problem, and perhaps that is where the miscommunication with Dina stems from – as we don’t use any metal cone woofers or metal dome tweeters in any of our products. It sounds like you are describing a dust cap that has somehow become unglued – this would be extremely rare but I suppose it could happen, in which case it would typically be covered under our warranty.

Did you email us any pictures regarding this?

I encourage you to reach out to me directly as both Dina and I are having difficulty trying to determine who you are.

Thanks in advance!
post #4130 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post
Actually i have spoken to you a few times and sent pics of the speaker in question.. it's not a big deal anymore i just don't want people to expect a long warranty when the exact words Dina (sorry bout forgetting her name earlier) used were "If it's over a year it won't be a manufacturing defect" which is the same as no warranty over a year.. Water under the bridge now i just wanted people to know what to expect. Great product btw.. although that center cone i would have some grooves machined into for the epoxy to hold a little better..

I will say that my dealings with you in email though were top notch and prompt.

Our warranty on 340's,170's, 200's is 5 years - warranty on Sierra products is 7 years. There are no exceptions to this. Can you please resend me the emails you had originally sent me? Dina would never say "if over a year it won't be a manufacturing defect". I believe this is a complete misunderstanding / miscommunication.

I am the only person who determines what is covered under our warranty - never Dina, but if you sent me emails regarding the problem and then spoke with Dina and weren't happy about the resolution, why didn't you follow-up with me? While it might be water under the bridge for you now, it certainly isn't for us as I would like to figure out what happened so that we can be more clear in our communications. Dina is actually quite unhappy about this and has no recollection of ever saying such a thing (she is hovering over me while I type this)

David Fabrikant

post #4131 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I dont believe you.
Shots fired!

I've been subscribed to Ascend Acoustics threads for a few years and the above is the only instance I can recall of such an account. It's diametrically opposed to the typical unsolicited feedback that Ascend's customer service is exemplary.

Colour me sceptical at present (FWIW).
post #4132 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post

Had I gone with the 170's I think I would have had push back from the wife even in "my" space. The 200's are not small speakers. If/When I go full Atmos, I think I will be mounting 4 in the ceiling similar to what was done in this thread.

TKNice's Theater Construction Thread

That's my setup! If you have any questions when it comes time to mount your HTM-200s in the ceiling, give a holler.

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE8000u 3D w/Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 (L R C), Emotiva UAC-8.2 (side), ERD-1s (rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" 350w Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One - Theater Pics
post #4133 of 4135 Old 11-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I dont believe you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Shots fired!

I've been subscribed to Ascend Acoustics threads for a few years and the above is the only instance I can recall of such an account. It's diametrically opposed to the typical unsolicited feedback that Ascend's customer service is exemplary.

Colour me sceptical at present (FWIW).
As I had previously mentioned, I suspect this is just a case of miscommunication or a misunderstanding. I am hopeful the customer will contact me so we can resolve it amicably. I see no reason at this point to doubt that this customer wasn’t wrongfully left with the impression being discussed. Sometimes there is confusion between what one person tries to get across and how the other perceives it, especially when things get technical. For example, when someone says sending a “speaker” back, we typically assume they mean a fully assembled speaker – while in this case, it might have meant he simply wanted to send back the woofer.
smurraybhm, TKNice and GIEGAR like this.

David Fabrikant

post #4134 of 4135 Old 11-16-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
I will offer an alternative to the post questioning Ascend's customer service and 5 year warranty. I had an issue with one of my HTM-200s earlier this year which were over a year old by then. Reached out to Ascend, talked to Dina by the way. Describe my issue which was static coming from the tweeter, mentioned that I had swapped the speakers and the static continued regardless of whether it was used as a L or R. In less than 24 hours I had a shipping notification that my new tweeter was on its way. As per Ascend policy my Amex was charged for the new tweeter, pending the return of the defective tweeter, the cost of shipping was my responsibility, all of this is stated clearly in the warranty. A few days later I got the tweeter, replaced the old with the new (took all of 4 minutes max, Phillips head required). Old tweeter went back to Ascend and in about 2 weeks from my call I had a credit on my Amex for the cost of the tweeter less the small cost of shipping.

So I hate to say bullxxxx to the post above about Ascend not providing great support or honoring their warranty, but as others have noted this is not what I've read having followed this thread since 2009 or experienced firsthand. Dina and Dave provide first class customer service, I've gotten emails and phone calls well after they have closed, heck Dave has emailed me at 3 in the morning to answer some questions I've had over the years. If the repair can be completed without requiring the return of the speaker, your saving money. This policy or approach is no different than any other well regarded ID speaker/sub company that I keep up. PSA like Ascend is perfect example of the great customer service offered by many of the ID companies that participate on AVS. Tom does the same thing when an issue pops up with one of his subs, ships out the new woofer or amp, for the user to replace themselves. For those who are challenged with the DIY approach, they are happy to walk you through the process.

If you really need to get your speaker fixed reach out to Ascend and get that new woofer shipped to you. On the other hand if you thought you'd just call up and receive a new speaker in the mail without going through a few steps first, nice try
TKNice, cel4145 and GIEGAR like this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
post #4135 of 4135 Old 11-16-2016, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
That's my setup! If you have any questions when it comes time to mount your HTM-200s in the ceiling, give a holler.
Your theater looks amazing. Projects like yours inspire me to do better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page