Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #4141 of 4164 Old 12-08-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
I would not be so quick to jump on another customer. Your experience with ascend acoustics may not have been the same for everyone else. Based on my own dealings with this company I would have to say that Ascend has the worst customer service of any ID company.
Great sounding speakers. Very poor CS.
The great thing about AVS is you can be pretty quick to the draw as long as you do it respectfully, then I've got plenty of other positive customer experiences from which to site as evidence of my B.S. Interesting enough we have heard nothing from the poster since then either.

I guess I missed the part about your personal experience with Ascend or the fact that what was posted contradicts every customer experience discussed on this forum when it comes to Ascend. Did you note the owner of Ascend getting involved right after the post? Now if we were discussing Reaction Audio that would be a different story

A comment like "worst customer service of any ID company" comes off like a troll. The unique thing about Ascend and a number of other ID companies is when you have questions about their products you get to talk to the folks that design and build them. I've spent 10+ years buying products from Dave and other ID companies, what's your experience? If Ascend did not have such a good reputation, I don't care how good the speakers are, I would be shopping elsewhere. Final comment, do you think Rythmik would have a relationship Ascend if they didn't take care of their customers in a similar manner. What's next, Rythmik's CS is bad too.
Avliner, kma100 and darkpoet25 like this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4164 Old 12-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
I would not be so quick to jump on another customer. Your experience with ascend acoustics may not have been the same for everyone else. Based on my own dealings with this company I would have to say that Ascend has the worst customer service of any ID company.

Henry, I am very confused about this post. We haven't had any communication with you in nearly 3 years and our records indicate that you have been extremely pleased with your speakers...

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4143 of 4164 Old 12-08-2016, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meature View Post
Been lurking extensively with a couple of posts.
Want to upgrade and drawn to Ascend. Current system Onkyo HTIB but I dug out some old Mission 77 speakers.

Listen at very moderate volumes. 70% TV, 15% movies, 15% music. No gaming. Would like a versatile system that handle all of these. Would like really crisp/clear dialog and open airy music. Definitely not bass heads. Do plan to get a sub, maybe a Rythmik. Will also get an AVR maybe something like Denon s720, x1300, x2300--sort out later. Don't want any separates so speakers need to be easily driven with AVR. 5.1 system for foreseeable future. (Hold off on surrounds for now and use existing speaker)

Room is pretty big 23x18, cathedral ceiling 14 ft.
Room is 50% open in back to kitchen/dining, open on one side to hallway and stairs. Seating about 12 ft from TV. Picture attached.

Definitely not an audiophile just want a good system.
I'm torn between the CMTs and Sierra 1's. A big consideration is the center. The mantle is 10 inches wide, I can raise the TV (yes I hate the TV above the fireplace but stuck with it). The center will be essentially flush with wall. Would Ascend make sense? Should I look for a front ported center? I have been looking hard at the KEF Q300 and Q200C.

I am planning to put the LR on the built-in, I know that is not ideal but is what I would like to do (34.5 inches high). That is a very wide built-in, so I have flexibility in placement.

Sorry, long-winded post. Recap:
1) CMT vs Sierra 1?
2) Center placement difficulties?
3) Can a standard AVR drive efficiently, particularly the Sierras.
FWIW in a similar room/setup I run a "phantom" center.
- In other words, I intentionally do not have a center speaker and the AVR sends any center channel signal to the L & R mains equally and automatically by setting the center speaker = no in the setup.

In that application, I do not miss it at all.

IMHO this is preferable to an inadequate center due to mantle limitations or having the screen excessively high.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Last edited by XEagleDriver; Yesterday at 09:26 AM.
post #4144 of 4164 Old 12-08-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2148 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Care to elaborate?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #4145 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Henry, I am very confused about this post. We haven't had any communication with you in nearly 3 years and our records indicate that you have been extremely pleased with your speakers...
I have been extremely pleased with my, also your, speakers. As I said in my earlier post," great sounding speakers".
I just find it frustrating that if a person posts anything other than this company is the greatest ever, when talking about an internet direct company, it must be bullxxxx. No company has a perfect record. That includes Ascend Acoustics.
Posts like smurraybhm made just piss me off.
Billy p likes this.
post #4146 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
The great thing about AVS is you can be pretty quick to the draw as long as you do it respectfully, then I've got plenty of other positive customer experiences from which to site as evidence of my B.S. Interesting enough we have heard nothing from the poster since then either.

I guess I missed the part about your personal experience with Ascend or the fact that what was posted contradicts every customer experience discussed on this forum when it comes to Ascend. Did you note the owner of Ascend getting involved right after the post? Now if we were discussing Reaction Audio that would be a different story

A comment like "worst customer service of any ID company" comes off like a troll. The unique thing about Ascend and a number of other ID companies is when you have questions about their products you get to talk to the folks that design and build them. I've spent 10+ years buying products from Dave and other ID companies, what's your experience? If Ascend did not have such a good reputation, I don't care how good the speakers are, I would be shopping elsewhere. Final comment, do you think Rythmik would have a relationship Ascend if they didn't take care of their customers in a similar manner. What's next, Rythmik's CS is bad too.
I have also been buying products form ID companies for many years. I stand by my statement: I found Ascend to have the worst CS when compared to all the other ID companies that I have had dealings with.
Thanks for calling me a troll. If I was going trolling I would have made up a name, maybe something like smurraybhm, instead of using my real name.
post #4147 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have been extremely pleased with my, also your, speakers. As I said in my earlier post," great sounding speakers".
I just find it frustrating that if a person posts anything other than this company is the greatest ever, when talking about an internet direct company, it must be bullxxxx. No company has a perfect record. That includes Ascend Acoustics.
We have never claimed and would never claim to be perfect, no company is. But your post concerned us greatly and caused us to look up your order and our correspondences with you to see what we might have done wrong. I understand we had a small issue with your order from us (~3 years ago) but we quickly sent you the replacement grille without issue and you seemed fully satisfied with that. Your emails to us were always cordial and polite, as were ours to you - so your post about our customer service was shocking to say the least, as we were not able to figure out what went wrong. Dina even tried to reach you today, both by phone and email.

That said, I always feel that how a company resolves a problem is representative of that company's customer service. We can not take responsibility for customer posts or any type of perception that we don't make mistakes, but this is really an entirely different matter than our customer service, and customer service is indeed something that we work very hard at and are always trying to improve upon.

I rarely spend much time on AVS these days, haven't in many years - probably for some of the same reasons you stay away or made your post about our CS. With your explanation though, I do somewhat understand where you were coming from, but it isn't reflective of our customer service - it is reflective of this crazy hobby / passion / industry of ours. In what is fast approaching 4 decades in this industry, I still don't understand why or how Audio brings about so much emotion, fanboyism, anger...

Regardless, I am very happy that you continue to enjoy your Sierra-2 speakers.
enricoclaudio, cel4145 and kma100 like this.

David Fabrikant

post #4148 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have also been buying products form ID companies for many years. I stand by my statement: I found Ascend to have the worst CS when compared to all the other ID companies that I have had dealings with.
Thanks for calling me a troll. If I was going trolling I would have made up a name, maybe something like smurraybhm, instead of using my real name.
No one cares about your grievance if you dont say why. Thats what makes you still come across as a troll.
smurraybhm and cel4145 like this.
post #4149 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Then I will assume you posted your own bullxxxx simply to offset his bullxxxx in an effort to satisfy your personal needs.
cel4145 likes this.
post #4150 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1624
Quote:
Henry - I guess we can agree to disagree since the original post and your post is perceived by me in the same way - when someone comes on a thread and contradicts hundreds of posts on the Ascend related threads to the contrary that post smells a little stinky, especially with the lack of details. Similar to someone posting that a company's CS stinks without providing details. Time to look up the definition of BS. Nice job running the truck over Ascend instead of the one who pissed you off - me.

I make no apologies for defending Dave, Dina and Ascend since they have earned my loyalty via the quality service they've provided to me for over 9 years, on top making of some pretty darn good speakers. That being said I have and will always continue to recommend other quality ID companies given a members needs and budget. There are a lot of very good speaker companies to choose from, ID or retail. I've always respected Dennis Murphy, Jim Salk, Chane, PSA and Selah Audio to name only a few as the list is long...... In fact I will admit the next time I buy speakers it will be from another company, not because I don't enjoy my Ascend's on a daily basis - but just to try something else. Life is short, I married so playing the field is out, so that leaves the a/v world as my "playground." Just keep in mind I'm not in a hurry to switch - see 4k/HDR/Immersive Audio.

Enjoy your Ascend speakers, happy holidays and I'll hope that you have no need for their crappy customer service

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
post #4151 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 2807
I have had experience with seven Internet direct audio brands: Ascend, PSA, SVS, Chase, Outlaw, Indeed, and Audio-Gd. I have had excellent experiences with Dave and Dina myself, and I have followed many of the Ascend owners threads for years where I have seen similar testimonials from others. So I, too, don't understand the "worst" characterization for Ascend. Especially when it cannot be described with any detail as to what is bad about it.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1

Last edited by cel4145; Yesterday at 08:08 AM.
post #4152 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEagleDriver View Post
FWIW in a similar room/setup I run a "phantom" center.
- In other words, I intentionally do not have a center speaker and the AVR sends any center channel signal to the L & R mains equally and automatically by setting the center speaker = no in the setup.

In that application, I do not miss it at all.

IMHO this is preferable to an inadequate center due to mantle limitations or having the screen excesdively high.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Xeagle,

Many thanks. Interesting idea.
Some people say the center is really important, that maybe 70% of sound come through center.
Although I guess if can push everything through LR maybe that would. I guess the upside is that without a center I could spend more on LR and sub.
I am going to do some search on phantom center.
post #4153 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzchard View Post
+1
And yes you can purchase the HTM-200 center. I run this now.
Thanks Swizzchard
I think that would be good but I am a little worried about the size of my room for the smaller center.
Someone else mentioned phantom center I am searching and trying to learn on that as a possibility.
post #4154 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

Quote:
We have never claimed and would never claim to be perfect, no company is. But your post concerned us greatly and caused us to look up your order and our correspondences with you to see what we might have done wrong. I understand we had a small issue with your order from us (~3 years ago) but we quickly sent you the replacement grille without issue and you seemed fully satisfied with that. Your emails to us were always cordial and polite, as were ours to you - so your post about our customer service was shocking to say the least, as we were not able to figure out what went wrong. Dina even tried to reach you today, both by phone and email.
Dave I have never received the grille. I did not think that it was ever sent. I just saw the email from Dina in which she said the grille was sent to me. I guess it was lost in the mail.
Maybe your customer service is not as bad as I though. Looked to me like a case of we have your money and don't need your satisfaction.
post #4155 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
I have had experience with seven Internet direct audio brands: Ascend, PSA, SVS, Chase, Outlaw, Indeed, and Audio-Gd. I have had excellent experiences with Dave and Dina myself, and I have followed many of the Ascend owners threads for years where I have seen similar testimonials from others. So I, too, don't understand the "worst" characterization for Ascend. Especially when it cannot be described with any detail as to what is bad about it.
I never said anything about Ascends customer service before because I have been on this forum long enough to no that my experience with Ascend was not the norm. I have a lot of respect for Dave. I am just one of the few that slipped through the cracks. As Dave said they are not perfect.
I don't jump on other people just because their opinion is not the same as mine. You can disagree with me and not be called a troll.
Billy p likes this.
post #4156 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Dave I have never received the grille. I did not think that it was ever sent. I just saw the email from Dina in which she said the grille was sent to me. I guess it was lost in the mail.
Maybe your customer service is not as bad as I though. Looked to me like a case of we have your money and don't need your satisfaction.
So they have the worst customer service ever because you requested a replacement grill, missed a response from them and when you didnt receive it rather than follow up with them you just assumed they ripped you off?

Last edited by Bond 007; Yesterday at 11:18 AM.
post #4157 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meature View Post
Thanks Swizzchard
I think that would be good but I am a little worried about the size of my room for the smaller center.
Someone else mentioned phantom center I am searching and trying to learn on that as a possibility.
phantom center works well and I am converting my htm-200 center upstairs to a phantom center using CBM-170 - which I just received in the mail yesterday.

However, in your case your builtins are recessed behind the television a decent amount so the imaging may be off.

You can order the 3 - cmt, htm and try it as a LCR and just LR.
post #4158 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 2807
Quote:
I never said anything about Ascends customer service before because I have been on this forum long enough to no that my experience with Ascend was not the norm. I have a lot of respect for Dave. I am just one of the few that slipped through the cracks. As Dave said they are not perfect.
I don't jump on other people just because their opinion is not the same as mine. You can disagree with me and not be called a troll.
I didn't jump on you. I purposely did not respond directly to you. Just expressed my opinion.

All I will say is if the grill was that important to you, doesn't make sense to me that you didn't follow up. I would have. It would have taken 1 minute of effort to reply to Dina and ask, "Did you mail the grill to me yet?" Anyone interested in actually using the grills would have done that

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
post #4159 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am really sorry that you never received the grille. Our last correspondence with you was Dina sending you an email that she had shipped the grille. Since you are in Canada, she shipped it by US Post - which then goes to Canadian Post, making it much easier on your end for customs clearance etc. Unfortunately, USPS is not the most reliable carrier and the tracking system is completely antiquated.

Unfortunately, since this was Jan 2014, there is no way for us to still track it or make a claim against the lost package. I do, however, have a transaction reference number for your shipment indicating the fees we paid to ship your grille - so we can at least confirm without any reasonable doubt that it was shipped.

When we ship something and don't here from that customer, we assume all is fine. I wish you would have let us know that you never received it, a simple email or phone call and we would have simply sent another while making a claim against the lost package. I am truly sorry that you have harbored ill-feelings towards our customer service for so many years now because of this. How were we to know? We are so not a "take the money and run company" - that is against everything I stand for.

I need you to reply back to Dina's email yesterday so that we can ship you the grille once again, hopefully with better luck this time . I understand that you want the 3/4 length grille for your center (as opposed to the full length grille), since you are using it vertically. We are happy to get this out to you ASAP, but we need to confirm your shipping address since the phone number we have for you is no longer in service.

Again, our sincere apologies Henry.
GIEGAR and FIQBAL like this.

David Fabrikant

post #4160 of 4164 Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 641
What's with all the crapping on Hlam....he's allowed to express his dissatisfaction or frustration...given his circumstance...I had a couple of issued with Ascend thou I did not speak publicly....stuff happens and iirc he owns five S2...so he's not a troll...

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...7276#post47276

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18(Santos RW)
Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; Yesterday at 11:04 PM.
post #4161 of 4164 Old Today, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I am really sorry that you never received the grille. Our last correspondence with you was Dina sending you an email that she had shipped the grille. Since you are in Canada, she shipped it by US Post - which then goes to Canadian Post, making it much easier on your end for customs clearance etc. Unfortunately, USPS is not the most reliable carrier and the tracking system is completely antiquated.

Unfortunately, since this was Jan 2014, there is no way for us to still track it or make a claim against the lost package. I do, however, have a transaction reference number for your shipment indicating the fees we paid to ship your grille - so we can at least confirm without any reasonable doubt that it was shipped.

When we ship something and don't here from that customer, we assume all is fine. I wish you would have let us know that you never received it, a simple email or phone call and we would have simply sent another while making a claim against the lost package. I am truly sorry that you have harbored ill-feelings towards our customer service for so many years now because of this. How were we to know? We are so not a "take the money and run company" - that is against everything I stand for.

I need you to reply back to Dina's email yesterday so that we can ship you the grille once again, hopefully with better luck this time . I understand that you want the 3/4 length grille for your center (as opposed to the full length grille), since you are using it vertically. We are happy to get this out to you ASAP, but we need to confirm your shipping address since the phone number we have for you is no longer in service.

Again, our sincere apologies Henry.
Don't worry Dave. The grill is unimportant. I only put the grilles on once. I did not like how different that one odd grille made the speakers look and just kept them off for the last three years.
Something for you to keep in mind with shipments to Canada. Canada Post will not make a delivery to an address that does not include a Post Office Box Number. I did not know about this policy when I ordered the speakers. My speakers arrived at the local Post Office were stamped as undeliverable and returned the local UPS store, 5.5 hours drive away. I actually paid another $155 to have them delivered to my street address.
I sent one more email in reply to Dina's email in which she said that she would have the grille shipped to me. In this email I informed Dina about Canada Post's policy with regard to the box number and that she should include the Box # in my address.
My phone # should have worked. I have had the same number for the last 35 years.

All this is unnecessary and not the point. Don't you think that a person should be free to give an honest opinion about "MY" experience with a company without all this BS. This does not just apply to AA. If you check any of the Internet Direct company owners threads you will see the same thing. The only posts allowed are about how great said ID company is. Anyone that voices an opinion otherwise is obviously a troll and full of BULLxxxx.
If I had my time back I would have continued to say nothing. It's not worth the drama. Only those that share our opinion should be allowed to have an opinion.
post #4162 of 4164 Old Today, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
What's with all the crapping on Hlam....he's allowed to express his dissatisfaction or frustration...given his circumstance...I had a couple of issued with Ascend thou I did not speak publicly....stuff happens and iirc he owns five S2...so he's not a troll...

Thanks Billy.
That was the point I wanted to make.
post #4163 of 4164 Old Today, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

If you act like crap you get treated like crap.
In reality all responses to him have been more respectful than his original post of "worst customer service ever" with no explanation as to why he feels that way.
Particularly for a small company the reputation can make or break it. When you post to thousands of people that a company has the worst customer service ever simply because your ignorant you might as well be stealing money from Ascend and all its employees. Therefore you should be prepared for some backlash for your unacceptable behavior.
You see...we are allowed to express ourselves too.
post #4164 of 4164 Old Today, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Don't you think that a person should be free to give an honest opinion about "MY" experience with a company without all this BS?
Your opinion wasnt honest. It was a hateful shot in the dark with no relevance.
To be honest most people could care less about your opinion. If you state facts with it people will pay a lot more attention.
If the facts stated by you since your original post were included with your original post no one would have had any problem at all with you.
chas_w likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page