Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4171 of 4198 Unread 12-11-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
^ I will assume you are referring to me as "heartless" - ouch. Your last post provided more information then any other post to-date. Given the details it is much easier now to understand your frustration. I wouldn't be happy either.

Hopefully you can find it in your heart to understand why I disagree with your statement "worse ever customer service of any ID company" (apologies if that wasn't word for word). Ascend did try to make it right and unfortunately for all involved they failed. If there is one limiting factor with Ascend it's the fact that you deal with Dina or Dave from my personal experience, if they are busy responses can take time as you pointed out. I chalk it up as a factor of doing business with an ID company that runs a lean ship in order to keep prices down on high quality products. Not defending it as good or saying it's bad, it just is what it is. Will concede that there are others that do a better job (PSA) comes to mind immediately, but I don't think Tom has a life outside work Fortunately for me my experience with Ascend and many other customers in no way mirrors yours - good for us, bad for you.

Billy is familiar with my post history, you must not be, so placing me in a "category" is a little unfair. As I said before Happy Holidays and I hope you situation is resolved to your satisfaction. Good news is there is a lot of competition in ID land if that's your preferred buying channel so you can also vote with your wallet. On top of that Canada has some kickass a/v companies. Peace Henry.
kma100 and Bond 007 like this.

RIP Cricket - my pug and little buddy Jan. 10, 2017

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 w/ 2500+ blu-rays and growing. Yes I still have HD-DVDs too.
smurraybhm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4172 of 4198 Unread 12-11-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
I only posted about my purchase because I felt that a couple of members here were treating another member badly. That was obviously a mistake. They have no room in their hearts for anyone that is not in agreement with them.
And you don't listen to anyone. Multiple people criticized you for throwing that initial statement out without contextualization. Only after we have said it OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, have you finally decided to provide a full explanation for your assessment. Yet you STILL don't listen and act like people had no reason for criticizing you over that initial statement which was, obviously, purely aimed at venting in a way that you knew people would disagree with. So no. Personally, I don't have "room in my heart" for someone that repeatedly acts this way.
Bond 007 likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
cel4145 is online now  
post #4173 of 4198 Unread 12-11-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,555
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
In the future I will check with one or both of you before I form an opinion. Not likely.
This didnt make me feel bad. Maybe next time.
smurraybhm and cel4145 like this.
Bond 007 is online now  
 
post #4174 of 4198 Unread 12-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
TKNice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Can we change the topic back to Dave's ability to create sound that is remakably realistic and breathtaking? That is what I personally love coming back to this thread to read.
dwaleke and smurraybhm like this.

Projector & Screen: Panasonic AE8000u 3D w/Anamorphic Lens & 130" 2.35:1 CIH
Audio: Marantz SR7010 / XPA-3 / UPA-7
7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2 (L R C), Emotiva UAC-8.2 (side), ERD-1s (rear)
2. Subs: SVS PC-2000 & eD A3-300 12" / Sensory: Aura Pro Bass Shakers
4 Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE for Atmos/DTS:X
Sources: Nvidia Shield / Xbox One - Theater Pics
TKNice is offline  
post #4175 of 4198 Unread 12-11-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
Can we change the topic back to Dave's ability to create sound that is remakably realistic and breathtaking? That is what I personally love coming back to this thread to read.

Perhaps if the other would do likewise....they asked for clarity yet persist to spin this thread off the track...Charlie, Steve and James Bond...I hope others who were contemplating buying Ascends will be able to discuss their entire experiences...not just how great the speakers are. I know in my dealing with other ID like Funk or PSA....I deal with the owners directly thus avoiding any misunderstanding....

Ascend Acoustics Towers: STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18: (Santos RW)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 12-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Billy p is offline  
post #4176 of 4198 Unread 12-11-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,555
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKNice View Post
Can we change the topic back to Dave's ability to create sound that is remakably realistic and breathtaking? That is what I personally love coming back to this thread to read.
This thread needed a bump anyway.
Thank you, Henry.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4177 of 4198 Unread 12-11-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post
Perhaps if the other would do likewise....they asked for clarity yet persist to spin this thread off the track...Charlie, Steve and James Bond...I hope others who were contemplating buying Ascends will be able to discuss their entire experiences...not just how great the speakers are.
Billy, the opposite perspective is that you urged him on without acknowledging--as I pointed out--that people are often able to share criticism in ID owners threads without the community lashing back. They just do so by readily providing explanation and admitting their own involvement in any miscommunication, such as Paulidan XM has done in the Sierra thread in the past week. I guess I need to repeat what I've been saying to my teenage son recently, "It's not your opinion that is the big problem. It's how you present it that is."

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
cel4145 is online now  
post #4178 of 4198 Unread 12-12-2016, 02:46 AM
Member
 
Bsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Billy, the opposite perspective is that you urged him on without acknowledging--as I pointed out--that people are often able to share criticism in ID owners threads without the community lashing back. They just do so by readily providing explanation and admitting their own involvement in any miscommunication, such as Paulidan XM has done in the Sierra thread in the past week. I guess I need to repeat what I've been saying to my teenage son recently, "It's not your opinion that is the big problem. It's how you present it that is."
Glad everyone got the CS stuff cleared up. And one of the things that happens when someone lashes out in upset or anger is that we want to protect the ones we care about. I get it. I've been pleased with Ascend. In my experience they provide superior products at a great value and they stand by them 100%.

Bottom line for me - it's the music, great sounding music and real sounding AV effects that come out of good looking solid speakers. And they ship to APO addresses!! I've purchased a few sets of Ascend speakers over the last 9 years, and hoping to add Sierra Luna sometime next year. Ascend has gone way beyond what I would have expected in dealing with a couple of shipping issues that were not their fault, and with one product issue under warranty along the way. Thanks Dave and Dina, I appreciate you guys a lot.
Bsound is offline  
post #4179 of 4198 Unread 12-12-2016, 03:44 AM
Member
 
Henry Lambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This was my OP:

"I would not be so quick to jump on another customer. Your experience with ascend acoustics may not have been the same for everyone else. Based on my own dealings with this company I would have to say that Ascend has the worst customer service of any ID company.
Great sounding speakers. Very poor CS."

This was a true statement based on my purchase.
I would say that almost none of us here know each other on a personal level; but based on this one post I have been characterized as:
Troll
BS'er
Worst ID customer ever
Liar
Thief

This is not an Ascend Acoustics thing. This would have happened on any of the ID owners threads.

Dave I am sorry that it was your company that I used to make this point. Like I said in an earlier post I have a lot of respect for you and your company and know that my purchase troubles are not the norm for Ascend Acoustics. I have every intention of being a return customer. You do make a great speaker for a good price. Before I place any order I will call to remind you who I am, the worst ID customer ever, to see if you want my business.
Henry Lambert is offline  
post #4180 of 4198 Unread 12-12-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
^ Henry I think a number of us tossed out the olive branch after you shared details. Be grateful you didn't post something similar over on the Emo Lounge, you'd be banned for life I'm not going to say anyone was right or wrong, there was a little miscommunication all around. Sorry I missed that post that characterized you as everything you listed above. You are correct that on an owner thread your first post would have elicited a similar response, however your post later with the details on why you made the statement would have been received very differently. Sorry if you don't understand that by now.

Hope you get your grill, and I thought we had decided to get back to answering questions and enjoying the music. In a few weeks this exchange will likely be way down the thread and forgotten. While we may not all know each other, I still consider a lot of AVSers my forum friends, you've got a good one in Billy.

RIP Cricket - my pug and little buddy Jan. 10, 2017

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 w/ 2500+ blu-rays and growing. Yes I still have HD-DVDs too.
smurraybhm is offline  
post #4181 of 4198 Unread 12-12-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,555
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Your last post didnt make me feel bad either.
You'll have to keep trying Henry.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4182 of 4198 Unread 12-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
Dave I am sorry that it was your company that I used to make this point. Like I said in an earlier post I have a lot of respect for you and your company and know that my purchase troubles are not the norm for Ascend Acoustics. I have every intention of being a return customer. You do make a great speaker for a good price. Before I place any order I will call to remind you who I am, the worst ID customer ever, to see if you want my business.
Thank you Henry - your post is much appreciated and again, I am really sorry for your experience. The info you posted about problems regarding Canadian Post make sense and might be the reason why your grille was never delivered, who really knows at this point. The majority of our shipments to Canada are by UPS, but it is simpler and more affordable for small packages to go by USPS. BTW, you are FAR from the worst ID customer ever, lol. Oh the stories I should share one day...

To address another comment, we are a small company and we must remain lean - we are quite a bit different from most other ID companies these days as we still assemble, test, clean & package everything in our factory (even $300/pair speakers). The majority of our focus is in daily production, which is often why we can be late to respond to emails - especially during the holiday season (November through the end of January) - there just aren't enough hours in the day While I wish we had the ability, it is not possible for us to follow-up with customers to make sure every shipment we send out is received. I am a consumer just like all of you, and I have rarely (if ever) had that follow-up experience - if I order something and it is not received in a timely manner - I call or email (usually call).

In this case, even if Henry had received the grille, he still might have formed the same opinion and he is entitled to it. With that in mind, he can also be questioned as to what happened, - no different than the old days here at AVS when people with 1 or 2 posts would post a review in an ID thread stating "these are the greatest speakers ever" and they would be called out. It goes both ways - it is the nature of these forums and the forums help shape the landscape of ID - both go hand in hand with each other. They can make us or break us - but in the end, (product quality aside) isn't it a far nicer and more personalized experience than dealing with a salesman?

Think about it - I have an entire production line of speakers waiting for me to test, yet here I am addressing posts on this forum.... I have not insulted anyone, nor have I defended our position - none of us here were aware of Henry's situation, now we know - and all we can do is learn and promise to do better with him next time.

Things happen, we ship a lot of products and we are not perfect. I can change our business model - have everything fully assembled overseas, warehoused and shipped to customers from fulfillment centers and thus giving us a lot more time on CS. Or, I can significantly raise our prices to match what the "norm" is for profit margins in this industry - thus decreasing our sales volume and giving us more time to spend on CS. Neither of these changes are what I want for Ascend - so to be competitive and somewhat profitable doing what we do best, we must make some sacrifices - and that sacrifice is that we very well might be late on email replies compared to some other companies or we might have to put someone on hold or call them back later. We do the very best we can…

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Ascend is offline  
post #4183 of 4198 Unread 12-12-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,555
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
^^^^
Nice post Dave.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4184 of 4198 Unread 12-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
 
wowyahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charleston, IL
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
Thank you Henry - your post is much appreciated and again, I am really sorry for your experience. The info you posted about problems regarding Canadian Post make sense and might be the reason why your grille was never delivered, who really knows at this point. The majority of our shipments to Canada are by UPS, but it is simpler and more affordable for small packages to go by USPS. BTW, you are FAR from the worst ID customer ever, lol. Oh the stories I should share one day...

To address another comment, we are a small company and we must remain lean - we are quite a bit different from most other ID companies these days as we still assemble, test, clean & package everything in our factory (even $300/pair speakers). The majority of our focus is in daily production, which is often why we can be late to respond to emails - especially during the holiday season (November through the end of January) - there just aren't enough hours in the day While I wish we had the ability, it is not possible for us to follow-up with customers to make sure every shipment we send out is received. I am a consumer just like all of you, and I have rarely (if ever) had that follow-up experience - if I order something and it is not received in a timely manner - I call or email (usually call).

In this case, even if Henry had received the grille, he still might have formed the same opinion and he is entitled to it. With that in mind, he can also be questioned as to what happened, - no different than the old days here at AVS when people with 1 or 2 posts would post a review in an ID thread stating "these are the greatest speakers ever" and they would be called out. It goes both ways - it is the nature of these forums and the forums help shape the landscape of ID - both go hand in hand with each other. They can make us or break us - but in the end, (product quality aside) isn't it a far nicer and more personalized experience than dealing with a salesman?

Think about it - I have an entire production line of speakers waiting for me to test, yet here I am addressing posts on this forum.... I have not insulted anyone, nor have I defended our position - none of us here were aware of Henry's situation, now we know - and all we can do is learn and promise to do better with him next time.

Things happen, we ship a lot of products and we are not perfect. I can change our business model - have everything fully assembled overseas, warehoused and shipped to customers from fulfillment centers and thus giving us a lot more time on CS. Or, I can significantly raise our prices to match what the "norm" is for profit margins in this industry - thus decreasing our sales volume and giving us more time to spend on CS. Neither of these changes are what I want for Ascend - so to be competitive and somewhat profitable doing what we do best, we must make some sacrifices - and that sacrifice is that we very well might be late on email replies compared to some other companies or we might have to put someone on hold or call them back later. We do the very best we can…
I have spent the past couple of weeks (hours upon hours) researching speakers. In this forum and other forums, recent posts and posts from years ago. Along with the exceptional reviews and praise your speakers receive, your personal interaction in the various mediums over the years have been impressive. Both are excellent reasons why I will be choosing your product.
TKNice likes this.
wowyahoo is offline  
post #4185 of 4198 Unread 12-13-2016, 02:52 AM
Member
 
Henry Lambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thank you Dave. Great post.
I am sorry for taking up more of your time. I would not want to think that I have kept your from something more important: Like getting the Sierra Luna to market. This speaker looks small enough to join my Sierra 2's and turn my system into a 7.1 system. I do not have the layout to accommodate another set of Sierra 2's.
So Dave if you don't mind could you please get back to making great sounding speakers.
chas_w and TKNice like this.
Henry Lambert is offline  
post #4186 of 4198 Unread 12-13-2016, 02:54 AM
Member
 
Henry Lambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
^^^^
Nice post Dave.
I can agree with this post.
smurraybhm likes this.
Henry Lambert is offline  
post #4187 of 4198 Unread 12-13-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA (Greater Toronto Area)
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
Thank you Dave. Great post.
I am sorry for taking up more of your time. I would not want to think that I have kept your from something more important: Like getting the Sierra Luna to market. This speaker looks small enough to join my Sierra 2's and turn my system into a 7.1 system. I do not have the layout to accommodate another set of Sierra 2's.
So Dave if you don't mind could you please get back to making great sounding speakers.
Well Henry...your truly a dedicated Ascend owner...if you go ahead and order the Luna. In this current economy a pair of Luna's would cost you about what you paid originally for a set of S2...perhaps more...lol.

My next set of speakers will either be bought here locally or DIY design....of course that can change...if or when we happen to approach parity with the US dollar.
Billy p is offline  
post #4188 of 4198 Unread 12-25-2016, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Well, I have been looking to buy some sub $1500 5.0 speakers recently. All from a list with Ascend, SVS, HSU ect. I have decided to buy the CMT-340s in LCR and 170s as my surrounds. The reason behind this is I have worked with and purchased from Ascend in the past and everyone holds the 340s in very high regard.

Little about my past. I began this journey to home theater in June. Have wanted one in my house for about 15 years and never had the funds. I started doing my research around March and April. In June I ordered Sierra 2's, Followed by a Sierra 2 center and a Rythmik F12. I later returned them both. The Center was ordered (by me) in the wrong color and I just couldnt deal with it like I thought I could. The F12 wasnt big enough for my tastes. I later ordered an FV15HP from them and am loving it. I found some Sierra 1's used for rears and a horizon NRT used. I had the perfect setup. Looking back I should have just sold the 2's and went with NRT 1's...But i didnt. I sold the horizon knowing I wanted a RAAL horizon and my Sierra 1's in preperation for the release of Sierra Lunas.

Than I realized how much that would cost, money that i didnt have and wouldnt have for awhile. Eventually I wanted to go towers anyway so I decided to find a much cheaper route that would keep me happy for a year or two before I could save up enough for a full RAAL setup or full NRT setup.
Theriddler07sms is online now  
post #4189 of 4198 Unread 12-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Member
 
JeffAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thinking about upgrading my Yamaha RXV673 with a "better" Yamaha receiver (RXA1030, 1040, 1050...don't need Atmos) or going separates with Yamaha CXA5000 and Emotiva amp. Happy with my Ascend Acoustics CMT340s LCR and CBM170 rears, running with two Rythmik FV12 subwoofers. Is it worth the upgrade or pretty much the same as the RXV673 with these speakers? Not looking for Atmos, probably will continue with 5.2 with possible upgrade to 7.2 or 9.2 later.

What other receivers/processor+amps are others happy with or recommend with these speakers?
JeffAV is offline  
post #4190 of 4198 Unread 12-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Member
 
XEagleDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
Thinking about upgrading my Yamaha RXV673 with a "better" Yamaha receiver (RXA1030, 1040, 1050...don't need Atmos) or going separates with Yamaha CXA5000 and Emotiva amp. Happy with my Ascend Acoustics CMT340s LCR and CBM170 rears, running with two Rythmik FV12 subwoofers. Is it worth the upgrade or pretty much the same as the RXV673 with these speakers? Not looking for Atmos, probably will continue with 5.2 with possible upgrade to 7.2 or 9.2 later.

What other receivers/processor+amps are others happy with or recommend with these speakers?
JeffAV,
Generally, reasons to upgrade an AVR are one or more of the following:
- Inadequate power for your speakers/listening habits (and no pre-outs available to add an external amp)
- Lack of a newer CODEC you now find necessary (i.e. ATMOS)
- Desire for better room correction software (i.e. Audyssey MultEQ)
- A need to get newer connections (HDMI, Wifi, etc.) or video capability (UHD, 4k, etc.) to keep up with a new display.

I did not see any of these in your post. I would not expect any decernable improvement in the SQ from a new AVR in your case.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
cel4145 likes this.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
XEagleDriver is offline  
post #4191 of 4198 Unread 12-29-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,555
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
Thinking about upgrading my Yamaha RXV673 with a "better" Yamaha receiver (RXA1030, 1040, 1050...don't need Atmos) or going separates with Yamaha CXA5000 and Emotiva amp. Happy with my Ascend Acoustics CMT340s LCR and CBM170 rears, running with two Rythmik FV12 subwoofers. Is it worth the upgrade or pretty much the same as the RXV673 with these speakers? Not looking for Atmos, probably will continue with 5.2 with possible upgrade to 7.2 or 9.2 later.

What other receivers/processor+amps are others happy with or recommend with these speakers?
I agree with X.
When you decide to do 9.2 then upgrade.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4192 of 4198 Unread 12-29-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I agree with X.
When you decide to do 9.2 then upgrade.
Another vote for making sure you have a clear need for a new receiver based on the reasons already given. If none of those fit, get yourself a nice new pair of headphones instead.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
cel4145 is online now  
post #4193 of 4198 Unread 12-29-2016, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16,555
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2370 Post(s)
Liked: 1906
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Another vote for making sure you have a clear need for a new receiver based on the reasons already given. If none of those fit, get yourself a nice new pair of headphones instead.
Or a pair of HTM 200 so he can do 7.2 with the 673.
cel4145 likes this.
Bond 007 is online now  
post #4194 of 4198 Unread 12-30-2016, 07:23 AM
Member
 
JeffAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by XEagleDriver View Post
JeffAV,
Generally, reasons to upgrade an AVR are one or more of the following:
- Inadequate power for your speakers/listening habits (and no pre-outs available to add an external amp)
- Lack of a newer CODEC you now find necessary (i.e. ATMOS)
- Desire for better room correction software (i.e. Audyssey MultEQ)
- A need to get newer connections (HDMI, Wifi, etc.) or video capability (UHD, 4k, etc.) to keep up with a new display.

I did not see any of these in your post. I would not expect any decernable improvement in the SQ from a new AVR in your case.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
That's the core of my question, will the higher power/dynamic and better room correction warrant the upgrade?

Perhaps I need to consider speakers in the ceiling for Atmos or 3D sound effects (for 5.2.4 with more CBM170s) to make the upgrade worthwhile? Need to work on the in wall wiring though, that's what's been holding me back.

Thanks for the feedback.
JeffAV is offline  
post #4195 of 4198 Unread 12-30-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
That's the core of my question, will the higher power/dynamic and better room correction warrant the upgrade?
Your V673 is rated 105 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD) 2 channels driven. It takes double the power to gain +3 more db from speakers. +10 db is generally considered a perceived doubling in volume by the listener. +1 db increase in volume perhaps the smallest amount you would notice. So if you went from 105w to say 125w, not even a +1db increase.

As for the better room correction, that would be very much a subjective determination that only you could say is worthwhile. However, with Denon going from MultEQ to MultEQ XT32 was noticeable to me and worthwhile because it better optimized my two subs. Not sure about the difference between Yamaha roomEQ versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
Perhaps I need to consider speakers in the ceiling for Atmos or 3D sound effects (for 5.2.4 with more CBM170s) to make the upgrade worthwhile? Need to work on the in wall wiring though, that's what's been holding me back.
Instead of in ceiling, you can also do height speakers for Atmos.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
cel4145 is online now  
post #4196 of 4198 Unread 12-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
kyzer soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAV View Post
Thinking about upgrading my Yamaha RXV673 with a "better" Yamaha receiver (RXA1030, 1040, 1050...don't need Atmos) or going separates with Yamaha CXA5000 and Emotiva amp. Happy with my Ascend Acoustics CMT340s LCR and CBM170 rears, running with two Rythmik FV12 subwoofers. Is it worth the upgrade or pretty much the same as the RXV673 with these speakers? Not looking for Atmos, probably will continue with 5.2 with possible upgrade to 7.2 or 9.2 later.

What other receivers/processor+amps are others happy with or recommend with these speakers?
My first system was yamaha rx673 with Tannoy mercury v4 towers (which i still own). I upgraded to svs ultra towers and thats where the problems started. If i tried to play anything above -20 on the receiver it would shut down. I remember reading the ultra towers would dip down to 4ohms i thought thats gotta be the reason why. Ended up getting yamaha rxa-2040 and had zero issues powering the ultra's. I've since bought Sierra 2's and and Nad master class amp everything sounds great. I've run my sierra 2's with rxv673 in my bedroom and they work fine together.

For the price i paid for my yamaha rx673 i have a hard time believing its putting out anywhere near its rated power. I have no proof this is all just my humble opinion. Theirs a bunch of guys commenting in here that know way more then i do so i'd trust their judgement.

Ascend Sierra 2 fronts, Horizon Center w/Raal, Ascend Sierra 2 side surrounds
Marantz AV7703
NAD M25
Rythmik FV15HP
Oppo 103
kyzer soze is offline  
post #4197 of 4198 Unread 12-30-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2654 Post(s)
Liked: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
My first system was yamaha rx673 with Tannoy mercury v4 towers (which i still own). I upgraded to svs ultra towers and thats where the problems started. If i tried to play anything above -20 on the receiver it would shut down. I remember reading the ultra towers would dip down to 4ohms i thought thats gotta be the reason why.
Lower then 4 ohm. The Ultra Towers dip down to 3 ohm based on S&V's measurements and review:

"For the Tower, minimum impedance is 3.0 ohms at 79 Hz with a phase angle of –1°....Even though quasi-anechoic sensitivity (measured on-axis outdoors, average output from 300 Hz to 10 kHz at 1 meter with a 2.83-volt RMS signal) is above average for the Tower (and you can tack on another 3 dB or so for in-room sensitivity), these impedance figures are low enough that I recommend using these speakers with a higher-end A/V receiver or a separate amp."
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-system-page-3

Definitely seems a pair of speakers that might tax some receivers.
kyzer soze likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | NAD HP50 | AKG K550 | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | DX50 | E12 | X1
cel4145 is online now  
post #4198 of 4198 Unread 12-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
kyzer soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Lower then 4 ohm. The Ultra Towers dip down to 3 ohm based on S&V's measurements and review:



"For the Tower, minimum impedance is 3.0 ohms at 79 Hz with a phase angle of –1°....Even though quasi-anechoic sensitivity (measured on-axis outdoors, average output from 300 Hz to 10 kHz at 1 meter with a 2.83-volt RMS signal) is above average for the Tower (and you can tack on another 3 dB or so for in-room sensitivity), these impedance figures are low enough that I recommend using these speakers with a higher-end A/V receiver or a separate amp."

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-system-page-3



Definitely seems a pair of speakers that might tax some receivers.


Thank you for that link.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ascend Sierra 2 fronts, Horizon Center w/Raal, Ascend Sierra 2 side surrounds
Marantz AV7703
NAD M25
Rythmik FV15HP
Oppo 103
kyzer soze is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off