Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

post #4201 of 4213 Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2659 Post(s)
Liked: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Simple input needed here:

Almost 100% HT movies, what isn't is concert blu-ray
Yamaha preamp, outlaw 7140 amp
LFE dual FV15HP's

Looking at hard at CMT-340 SE for LCR. I notice the Sierra 1 and 2, but I really like the look of the 340 and from reading it seems if you are running HT the 340 is an excellent choice. Room is 20x12 and I prefer higher volumes during action flicks. Also really liked the 340 look on stands, because stand will be a must for me.

Thanks.
I dont see a question but Im running a 5.2.4 Atmos setup with 3060 AVR, 340 LCR, 170 x 4 and 200 x 2. LV12r and Klipsch subs.

Very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4213 Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I dont see a question but Im running a 5.2.4 Atmos setup with 3060 AVR, 340 LCR, 170 x 4 and 200 x 2. LV12r and Klipsch subs.

Very happy.
It was really just 340 vs Sierra (LCR) for HT use. I really like the idea of matching LCR and the cost of the 340, almost hard to believe how little they cost.
post #4203 of 4213 Old 05-24-2017, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2659 Post(s)
Liked: 2110
Quote:
It was really just 340 vs Sierra (LCR) for HT use. I really like the idea of matching LCR and the cost of the 340, almost hard to believe how little they cost.
Sierra are overkill and a waste of money for ht use imo.
gadgtfreek likes this.

post #4204 of 4213 Old 05-24-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 1427
Quote:
Looking at hard at CMT-340 SE for LCR. I notice the Sierra 1 and 2, but I really like the look of the 340 and from reading it seems if you are running HT the 340 is an excellent choice. Room is 20x12 and I prefer higher volumes during action flicks. Also really liked the 340 look on stands, because stand will be a must for me.
Yes, the CMT-340 SE's combination of accuracy, good sensitivity and high power handling means they're the pick for clean, dynamic sounding movies at higher volumes.
gadgtfreek likes this.
post #4205 of 4213 Old 05-24-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
Thanks. I'm guessing you would just cross the 340's at 80hz and let the subs handle the rest?

The Outlaw 7140 would have no issue driving them.
post #4206 of 4213 Old 05-24-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'm guessing you would just cross the 340's at 80hz and let the subs handle the rest?
Yep, at least 80Hz. Higher the better to take the high excursion low bass (= distortion) away from the woofers. With familiar bass-heavy content playing, nudge the crossovers up in steps until you can begin to readily localise the subs, then back the crossovers off one notch. Done! If your subs have a good lock your room, don't be surprised if you end up at around 120Hz.
Quote:
The Outlaw 7140 would have no issue driving them.
At 90dB/1W/1m sensitivity and 8Ω nom. impedance, any mid-tier AVR will happily drive them to very loud levels at typical listening distances (105dBSPL peaks per channel @ 10ft with a 100W burst). A walk in the park for your Outlaw.
post #4207 of 4213 Old 10-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, just recently finished setting my my Denon X4300H with CMT 340SEs paired with CBM-170SEs for surround and HTM-200SEs for Atmos/X channels along with dual Rythmik LV12Rs. After running Audyssey a few times, I have most of it dialed in pretty nicely, except it still feels like the center channel is a bit weak. Any issues with running just the center channel hotter (like is common with the subs)?
post #4208 of 4213 Old 10-02-2017, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmorris View Post
Hi, just recently finished setting my my Denon X4300H with CMT 340SEs paired with CBM-170SEs for surround and HTM-200SEs for Atmos/X channels along with dual Rythmik LV12Rs. After running Audyssey a few times, I have most of it dialed in pretty nicely, except it still feels like the center channel is a bit weak. Any issues with running just the center channel hotter (like is common with the subs)?
Yes that's possible Edward, but first let's check on a couple of common setup issues that can adversely effect centre channel clarity:

1. Is the centre speaker sitting on a entertainment unit of shelf? If so, ensure it's pulled all the way forward to the very leading edge of the unit or shelf (even overhanging a bit).

2. Is there a large acoustically reflective surface like a coffee table or wooden chest between the speaker and the seats? If there is, please get rid of it.

Here's a couple of Googled images showing how NOT to get the best performance from a centre channel speaker:

Check on those couple of things and we'll go from there.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #4209 of 4213 Old 10-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Hi Geiger, thanks for the reply. I should have provided more details. I built a custom entertainment center and the center is open on five sides, with wedges underneath it to point it directly at ear height on the MLP. It was lined so that the grille was hanging outwards of the EC, I can pull it out further if needed. There is no coffee table or any other furniture between the LCR and MLP. Not that it makes ANY difference, everything except the CBMs are B-Stock. The issue isn't that the center can't get loud, I just need to do that proportional to the LR and others. Its most noticeable with movies like Constantine, and least on movies like Tomb Raider for some reason. I have the 4300's Dynamic Volume turned on to alleviate this a bit, but I KNOW I can get it to do better without it. Thoughts?
post #4210 of 4213 Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Geiger, thanks for the reply. I should have provided more details. I built a custom entertainment center and the center is open on five sides, with wedges underneath it to point it directly at ear height on the MLP. It was lined so that the grille was hanging outwards of the EC, I can pull it out further if needed. There is no coffee table or any other furniture between the LCR and MLP. Not that it makes ANY difference, everything except the CBMs are B-Stock. The issue isn't that the center can't get loud, I just need to do that proportional to the LR and others. Its most noticeable with movies like Constantine, and least on movies like Tomb Raider for some reason. I have the 4300's Dynamic Volume turned on to alleviate this a bit, but I KNOW I can get it to do better without it. Thoughts?
Well, you've ticked all the right boxes with the setup.

With movies, how do you find it with Reference Level Offset = 0dB and Dynamic Volume = Off? If that's still no good, I don't see any problem with lowering the L & R mains trims a couple of dB relative to the centre and (if necessary) adopting a slightly higher MV setting.
post #4211 of 4213 Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Its most noticeable with movies like Constantine, and least on movies like Tomb Raider for some reason. I have the 4300's Dynamic Volume turned on to alleviate this a bit, but I KNOW I can get it to do better without it. Thoughts?

It is absolutely OK to turn the center channel volume level up a few ticks, but the issue you are experiencing is common and is simply due to the mix of the soundtrack. Some are mixed well, others are not as there is no defined standard for this (hopefully some day). While you might want a bit more center for some, you will also find you might have too much center in others.

That stated, be sure when you run Audyssey that you use the Audyssey recommended mic placement guide (for all 12 positions), if done right - it often results in decent level balance between all the speakers. And finally, don't assume Audyssey results are correct - an SPL meter can be a great tool to assist in optimizing system performance.

Have fun with all of it!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #4212 of 4213 Old 10-05-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks a bunch! I ran Audyssey again (4300 only asks for 8 positions max) and am no longer seeing any difference in the calibrations. I think the issue is most pronounced on the older DVDs/Blurays, the 4K discs sound significantly better, so I will leave things as they are for now and break them in a bit more by watching a bunch more movies. Then, revisit if necessary
post #4213 of 4213 Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Thanks a bunch! I ran Audyssey again (4300 only asks for 8 positions max) and am no longer seeing any difference in the calibrations. I think the issue is most pronounced on the older DVDs/Blurays, the 4K discs sound significantly better, so I will leave things as they are for now and break them in a bit more by watching a bunch more movies. Then, revisit if necessary

I generally try to stick to the better mixed, better sounding movies (and music) these days. One small tweak I often use when watching movies with poorly mixed dialogue -- I turn on "night mode" which is basically dynamic range compression so that the dynamics of loud effects gets squashed a bit such that it no longer overpowers the more subtle parts of the soundtrack. (wife appreciates me more too, stops her from yelling across the house to turn it down )

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page