post #451 of 3933 Old 03-28-2006, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

This actually is a pretty valid point. Speakers will tend to exhibit different response curves as the volume increases.

They may, but a speaker that exhibit materially different response curves at 65dB versus 75dB versus 85dB is a poor design due to lack of linearity. Simple as that. Also note that while I mentioned that the speakers were calibrated to 69dB for listening, the meausrement graphs clearly show that the average loudness is higher than 69dB. In fact, it is closer to 73/74dB. This is because for listening, the speakers were calibrated with both channels working, while for the measurement, only the right speaker was measured. Taking away one speaker and 1 channel of power reduces the output by 6dB. I then dialed up the output by 10dB to not only make up the difference but also to push it into the 70dB range. The 10dB boost was added to address people's concern regarding the noise floor of the room affecting the measured response. I took measurements both before and after applying this 10dB boost. The curves were identical except for the difference in level. I would have been extremely surprised by any other result. The noise floor of the room is around 34dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

If it was normalized to 1W-input (say ~85db), this might give a good indication of average performance at slightly strenous conditions.

I am not normalizing it because that's not how these speakers are being used. And I am not sure if 1 watt of output in my room is going to equal 85dB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3933 Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee View Post

They may, but a speaker that exhibit materially different response curves at 65dB versus 75dB versus 85dB is a poor design due to lack of linearity.

But you aren't pushing them any to find out if any of them have "poor design." That is the point we are trying to make.

85dB is 4 times as loud as 65dB and forces the speaker to work harder and show more flaws.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #453 of 3933 Old 03-28-2006, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp View Post

But you aren't pushing them any to find out if any of them have "poor design." That is the point we are trying to make.

I don't understand this infatuation you have with the loudness at which these speakers are listened to. I am not trying to find out which speaker is the loudest, and the performance of a speaker is most certainly *NOT* defined by how loud it can play before audible distress. To me, the performance of a loudspeaker is how well it performs at comfortable listening levels. And remember, 69dB is just the average loudness. There will be peaks in the source material where the sound level produced is much higher than 69dB. If we apply the -20dB rule, that means peak loudness is about 89dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp View Post

85dB is 4 times as loud as 65dB and forces the speaker to work harder and show more flaws.

I don't listen to my speakers at 85dB average loudness. I don't know of many others who do. 85dB average is *rarely* observed even for watching movies. People talk about reference level all the time in the home theater forums, but ask around and see what level do people actually listen at.

Another issue with testing at 85dB average is available amplifier power. By using a 38x2 tube amp, I am limited to how loud these speakers will reach. With 87dB efficiency, *peak* output is about 103dB. I need at least twice as much clean power from my amp in order to play at 85dB average levels.

Please, take what I've said already in mind before you try to find other faults with my listening session: I am not trying to find the extreme limits of these speakers, I am not trying to duplicate a professional review, and I am not trying to duplicate an anachoic chamber measurement. What I am doing is using these speakers in my system with my equipment playing my favorite music and then relating my experience about the whole thing. The measurments serve only to shed more insight into what I am hearing. To accomplish this goal, what I've done is enough.
post #454 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I was talking with a friend last night and relating to him my listening sessinos with the Ascend and Onix speakers. I also mentioned the suggestion that I listen to these speakers at loud volumes in order to detect any issues. The conversation went something like:

Me "Can you believe that guy? I mean come on!"
Friend "I thought you also liked heavy metal."
Me "I do"
Friend "You listen to it loud?"
Me "When the mood calls for it"
Friend "Is it conceivable that one day you will listen to some metal on your 2-channel system?"
Me "Yea, I suppose"
Friend "Then you should try it now, don't you think?".
Me "You got a point there"

So last night I threw some metal/glam-rock in the player, turned it "up to 11" and prepared for my ear wax to be knocked loose. And I was not disappointed.

The lineup included Metallica (everything up to the Black Album), Motley Crue, Kix, Dream Theater, GnR, Motorhead, Ozzy, and some others my mind is too numb to remember.

I didn't do any level matching, but suffice to say it was loud. My Radio Shack SPL meter frequently ticked over 100dB on fast mode.

Through this listening session, the Onix X-LS provided the closest sound to "the way I remembered it". There is a thickness to the bass guitar accompanied by an upper-bass resonance that delivers a proper inner ear massage. The Ascend 170SE was decidedly more proper. Both speakers were able to play very loud without loosing their composure (to my ears). Frankly any louder and I would start worrying about hearing damage for the 2 hours that I spent revisiting these CDs.

Then the delivery guy ringed my door bell and brought in my new 61" DLP TV. Thus endeth my listening session.

So I am glad that these speakers are able to deliver a satisfying high volume rock/metal experience. A subwoofer would have delivered even more impact and really rounded out the package for both speakers.
post #455 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Then the delivery guy ringed my door bell and brought in my new 61" DLP TV. Thus endeth my listening session.

That is great! Enjoy!!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #456 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I just want to say, that I find LeeLee's posts very refreshing. He's just a guy doing his own listening. He has played with these speakers for a while now. There is no doubt in my mind (having done similar) that he has tried every position, volume level, whatever in his adventure with them. It is really hard not to explore everythign about the speakers when you've got a month to play with them. It is just hard to do it in a linear, logical maner that you can explain to others latter on.

Its great to hear that he can clearly identify the differences and has figured out which he prefers. But the refreshing part is that he isn't declaring one the winner and the other CRAP, but saying that both are solid speakers. And, through his description of the differences, a reader can decide for himself which they may prefer based on their own preferences. I can easily see someone reading what LeeLee wrote and deciding that they would prefer the others over the Ascends which LeeLee has decided that he prefers. And that is cool.

I wish more post were this fair. It is a shame that many feel that there can only be ONE best speaker for $300, $500, $1000 or whatever. I really wish the subwoofer forum would get this through their heads too. Maybe someday.

Keep up the good work.

And for everyone else, it shouldn't be long until a small batch of 340SEs get shipped and makes a bunch more of us happy. I'm looking forward to receiving my last one to complete the 5 channel setup. Still need to sell my old Paradigm Center. Anyone want to buy one cheap?
post #457 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice.

I didn't realize you are using a tube amp. That tells me a lot about your results.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #458 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I also have a Pioneer Elite A-35R solid state integrated amplifier which was used for the recent 170SE/X-LS comparison.

My Onix SP3 tube amp will eventually be used with whatever speaker that I end up keeping.

Honestly, I don't detect that much of a difference between the A-35R and the SP3. The SP3 has been credited as having a very flat response with almost solid-state-like sound when not driven into distortion. I need to do some switched comparisons to know for sure, that's one of the reasons why I bought the A-35R.
post #459 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ---k---:

And for everyone else, it shouldn't be long until a small batch of 340SEs get shipped and makes a bunch more of us happy. I'm looking forward to receiving my last one to complete the 5 channel setup. Still need to sell my old Paradigm Center. Anyone want to buy one cheap?

I sure hope that I am one of those receiving the 340SE's......... Have been waiting since Jan 27, and I am really excited about them. I have never owned anything near what these speakers are supposed to be.
post #460 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone:
Do you think that there would be a huge difference if I hook up ascend 340s to a better receiver than my Sony SDR-835. That receiver is 5 years old and I might replace it eventually when the budger permits. I mainly use it for watching movies. For now, I want to get some decent speakers first.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #461 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think that the Ascends are a speaker that requires a robust receiver/amp to drive them well. I think they will do just as well as anything with a lower level receiver.

That said, I am starting to come around and think that they would sound better with a better/more powerful receiver/amp - as would all speakers.
post #462 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 04:03 PM

Amerikes,

You have been waiting since late January. I admire you for being so patient.

I have been waiting since March 16 and the wait is killing me. If I do not have the speakers (3 x 340SE, 3 x HTM200's) in my possession by May 1; I may have to pull the trigger on speaker option 2 or 3. Currently researching those options, $1200-$1400 budget for LCR, rears and surrounds. My STF3 is due to arrive tomorrow. Axioms have metal tweeters, ala Klipsch, which I do not like.

Quad Core Q6600 G0 @ 3.6Ghz
Abit IP35-E
2x1GB G.Skill PC800
Geforce 7800GT
post #463 of 3933 Old 03-29-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheducati View Post

Amerikes,

You have been waiting since late January. I admire you for being so patient.

I have been waiting since March 16 and the wait is killing me. If I do not have the speakers (3 x 340SE, 3 x HTM200's) in my possession by May 1; I may have to pull the trigger on speaker option 2 or 3. Currently researching those options, $1200-$1400 budget for LCR, rears and surrounds. My STF3 is due to arrive tomorrow. Axioms have metal tweeters, ala Klipsch, which I do not like.

Yes, it has been awhile, but I really believe that these are the speakers within my price range that will do an excellent job for me. The time has allowed me to save a little more money anyway, so when I get billed for these speakers, then it will be less of a strain on my bank account. I know it is my money, but I don't want to pull out on a smaller manufacturer/company just because they are having problems getting their parts and have fallen behind......., besides, I believe the wait will be worth it.
post #464 of 3933 Old 03-30-2006, 05:58 AM

Good point.

A battle of attrition. Maybe we all will move up on the list if others are pulling out.

Quad Core Q6600 G0 @ 3.6Ghz
Abit IP35-E
2x1GB G.Skill PC800
Geforce 7800GT
post #465 of 3933 Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I guess I'm preaching to the choir here but I wanted to throw out some more kudos to David F. and his company.

I found a great deal on an HK AVR 435 on the net (new one) but, noticed that Ascend deals with HK too so I sent them an email to see what kind of price they could offer. I didn't mention I had found the previous deal, just asked what their best "customer" price was.

Got a personal reply from David telling me the best deal he could do and then that I should not buy from him because I could get a much better price through another vendor (and he provided a link to that vendor).

Now, I know David probably knew that I was aware of the better deal but still, that kind of business practice builds an amazing base of customer loyalty (as evidenced out here on this forum). I'm waiting patiently for my 340SEs but my 170s (to go with the HK) will be here tomorrow!
post #466 of 3933 Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 AM

I'm waiting on my 340 se's also but I'm suppose to be getting the 170's and htm 200's today. I had him ship these while I wait for the 340's.
post #467 of 3933 Old 03-30-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

Hello everyone:
Do you think that there would be a huge difference if I hook up ascend 340s to a better receiver than my Sony SDR-835. That receiver is 5 years old and I might replace it eventually when the budger permits. I mainly use it for watching movies. For now, I want to get some decent speakers first.

I guess it depends on your definition of "better", but I doubt the difference would be huge for a moderate upgrade (e.g. maybe double the price of your current receiver). For me, even going from a $250 Pio to a >$1000 Pio Elite receiver, there definitely was a difference, but I wouldn't say it was HUGE. Although slightly more harsh sounding/fatiguing with my Ascends, the $250 Pio really wasn't that bad. From my research, more money seems to buy you more features and tweakability, which many don't need/want. I think you're doing the right thing by buying speakers first.
post #468 of 3933 Old 03-30-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetheducati View Post

Good point.

A battle of attrition. Maybe we all will move up on the list if others are pulling out.

Ha.....yeah, maybe. But I don't think Ascend would like that too much.
post #469 of 3933 Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also have a Pioneer Elite A-35R solid state integrated amplifier which was used for the recent 170SE/X-LS comparison.

My Onix SP3 tube amp will eventually be used with whatever speaker that I end up keeping.

Honestly, I don't detect that much of a difference between the A-35R and the SP3. The SP3 has been credited as having a very flat response with almost solid-state-like sound when not driven into distortion. I need to do some switched comparisons to know for sure, that's one of the reasons why I bought the A-35R.

That Pioneer is around 25 years old and under 50 watts is it not?
post #470 of 3933 Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 PM

I just wanted to thank you guys for all of the information here.
I have been reading this thread for about a month now, and I have learned a lot.

About 2 years ago I purchased a HTIB Onkyo HTS 760 after reading good reviews online, and on CNET. It was paired up with a Denon DVD 2900, I like listening to SACD and DVD Audio, as well as the home theatre experience. It was all good. After a year or so I upgraded the receiver to a HK AVR 7300. Sounds great but the OSD was not too user friendly IMHO. Anyway, this year for Christmas I swapped out the HK for a Denon AVR 4806 and got the Denon DVD 2910. I am still using the 6.1 set up from Onkyo for the speakers. I feel like I am driving a Ferrari on retreads. Sound is ok, but I know I am not receiving the full benefit of my amp.

After much debate with my GF I decided to purchase new LCR and Sub (keeping rear surrounds until a later date). After much looking and another good review on CNET, I ordered some Aperions. they seemed to have decent pricing, looks, and good reviews. They also were backordered for 2 weeks. The same day I ordered them I stumbled upon your thread. I read it in it's entirety, as well as Ascend forums. I was now VERY interested in Ascends. I am also about 20 minutes drive from there company. I called them and placed an order for 340's LCR and the Hsu VTF-2 MK 2 Sub. Much to my dismay, I found out about the backorder until late April. I ordered the set up anyway, and was planning to compare both Ascends and the Aperion. After about a week of daily reading this thread and others I decided to take the plunge, and cancel my order with Aperion. I noticed that most of their good feedback came from magazine or website reviews, whereas Ascend reviews mostly come from actual buyers. I felt the buyer to be more truthful and less likely to have ulterior motives. Don't get me wrong, the Aperion people were very nice and courteous, but I value buyer opinions slightly more

So now I am waiting like everyone else. I expect there to be a huge difference over the Onkyo speakers I am currently using. I think the Ascends will be a great choice and I am very grateful for all of the information you all have shared here with me, and many others.
post #471 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The difference will be staggering.

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #472 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 02:10 AM

Hooked up my 170's and 200's yesterday and the difference from my old sony speakers was staggering. I can't wait for the 340's...
post #473 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon View Post

Quote:

That Pioneer is around 25 years old and under 50 watts is it not?

Not to the best of my knowledge. I don't know when it was first introduced but it is still listed as a current product on Pioneer's Elite products page. It has a similar look to the current Elite equipment in terms of finish and aesthetics.

Power is 45W x 2, 20-20k @ 8 ohm and 65W x 2, 20-20k @ 4 ohm. Given the weight of this amp, the size of its transformer, power supply capacitors, and the look of its discreet output stage, these figures seem reasonable to say the least.
post #474 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

LeeLee, did you admit in writing to owning a Kix CD?
post #475 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy View Post

The difference will be staggering.

Sweet!! I have been buying DVD's but not watching them, so I could experience them "firsthand" with the Ascends.
post #476 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Darksmoke,

If you're only 20mins drive from Ascend, give them a call and ask if you can come over to thier place for a listen. I doubt they will say no.

Also, I highly encourage you to order the Aperions later when you get word that you're Ascends are shipping. It will be highly educational for you to have two differnt speakers in your room at the same time to compare. And, the great thing about Aperions is that they have free return shipping, so you are out nothing.

But, I think you will be very happy with the Ascends.
post #477 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Darksmoke,
I am in Manhattan Beach....you are more than welcome to stop by and listen to my classics.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #478 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Darksmoke: You're smarter than me: I started with the Onkyo 760 (my 1st speakers since the AR 3a' s I bought in 1969!), then went to Infinity Primus' (a significant step up), before I discovered the Ascend threads. I've had my L/C/R 340's ('classics') and 2 pair of 200's now for ~8 months, and I will be content with them for a LONG time!
post #479 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post

Darksmoke,

If you're only 20mins drive from Ascend, give them a call and ask if you can come over to thier place for a listen. I doubt they will say no.

Also, I highly encourage you to order the Aperions later when you get word that you're Ascends are shipping. It will be highly educational for you to have two differnt speakers in your room at the same time to compare. And, the great thing about Aperions is that they have free return shipping, so you are out nothing.

But, I think you will be very happy with the Ascends.

Thanks Ryan! Yeah that would be cool to hear them first. I will give them a call and see what's up.

As far as the Aperions go, if after listening to the Ascends for a couple of days leaves anything wanting, then I will probably do that (order Aperions for a demo side by side). I just don't want to order them and find out the Ascends are right for me from the get go, and then turn around and send the Aperions back. My GF will freak if she sees 2 sets of LCR and subs in addition to the set I already own in the living room at the same time. LOL! I probably would have to send her to Vegas first to conduct some testing in a "peaceful" environment.

Don't get me wrong, she likes the set up, but she has no interest in the technical side of it, and is bewildered as to my quote unquote "obsession" with electronic gadgets. I just enjoy technology, what can I say?
post #480 of 3933 Old 03-31-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderka View Post

LeeLee, did you admit in writing to owning a Kix CD?

Hey man! Kix mad great music. I feel at this crucial juncture it is necessary for me to indicate that I also own CDs by Megadeth, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Slayer. I think my hair just grew longer. Oh and I play Guitar Hero on PS2, currently trying to master Bark at The Moon in the hard setting.

At least I never owned anything from Nelson.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page