AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

The stands don't have WAF.

I'm laughing because my wife likes the Ascends stands. She didn't want another wood colour in the room that wouldn't match something else. I guess I'm just blessed with lower WAF needs.

Lots of differnt stands are out there, but imho good retail ones are going to run $100+

-Ryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
These stands are around $60 shipped.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Sanus-BF-24B-SY0002.html

http://www.racksandstands.com/Lovan...00C-LV1032.html

http://www.racksandstands.com/Studi...-24-SO0030.html

http://www.racksandstands.com/Tech-...S21-TC0002.html
post #543 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
A great feature of the Ascend custom stands is the supplied backplate that attaches the speaker to the stands by utilizing the threaded insert on the speaker. With the stand filled with sand, and the speaker attached with the backplate, together they are not easily moved or tipped over.

When I had my custom stands built, I also utilized the threaded insert to secure the speaker to the stands:

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #544 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, the Panny is definatly high on my list. I was thinking on getting the XR57 when that comes out. I'm only going to run 5.1 and I heard that the XR57 can dual amp the front two channels in 5.1 mode.

Yeah, that's a nice plus. Unless you care about the 1 HDMI input (yes, one) I'm not sure there's any reason to wait on the XR57 except for availability.

And I thought you could bi-amp even if you were using 7.1, but I guess I didn't really look yet, not having the speakers. The only time I'd really like to do this is for 2-channel stuff...but it would be a nice "freebie" feature to discover.

Each moment only once.
post #545 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post

Yeah, that's a nice plus. Unless you care about the 1 HDMI input (yes, one) I'm not sure there's any reason to wait on the XR57 except for availability.

And I thought you could bi-amp even if you were using 7.1, but I guess I didn't really look yet, not having the speakers. The only time I'd really like to do this is for 2-channel stuff...but it would be a nice "freebie" feature to discover.

I don't care about HDMI, but I'm waiting for the XR57 so that I can dual-amp the front speakers in 5.1 mode. Twice the power to the mains should be awesome!
post #546 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is a good thread on the Ascend Forum on bi-amping the 340's that also includes good posts from DaveF.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=745

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #547 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you bi-amp with the XR57 in 5.1 mode? Do you actually have to wire the surround channels to the mains or does the receiver internally route the power to the mains to give 200wpc to the mains? I was thinking that the receiver would route 200wpc to the mains and 100wpc to the center and rears automatically without needing to additionally wire from the surround channels that aren't being used.
post #548 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Check the manual. I think it has you use the rear surround speaker outputs, changing a setting in the setup to tell the receiver to double the output from the mains to those channels.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #549 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post

I'm laughing because my wife likes the Ascends stands.

Same here. She wanted nothing that would detract from our other furniture and the Ascend stands worked for both of us. I held my breath because the Ascend stands were my first choice in what I could afford. It's my job to pay for this stuff and her job to decide if I can keep it. Well defined rolls don't ya thinK? Whadayamean, PW'ed?

David
post #550 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Check the manual. I think it has you use the rear surround speaker outputs, changing a setting in the setup to tell the receiver to double the output from the mains to those channels.

Seems like XR57 will allow dual amping to a single set of binding posts.

There appears to be a difference between dual amping and bi amping for the XR57.

The manual says:

"The advanced dual amp function activates automatically when you use 2-channel stereo playback or 5.1-channel playback. The unit takes advantage of the unused surround back speaker amplifier, and runs one speaker with two amplifiers when this function is on. Advanced dual amplifier offers you sounds that are clearer and higher in audio quality than those available in normal playback."

Sounds to me like you don't need to wire the unused channels to the mains.
post #551 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
That is doubling up the power to a single speaker output.

Biwiring and biamping are powering the two drivers in a speaker separately with separate amp channels, basically.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #552 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news! That's exactly what I want to do. I'm planning on a 5.1 setup with 340 SEs across the front and 200s in the rear. With the XR57, I can double up the power to the 340 mains which should increase the performance.
post #553 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just posted in the Ascend forum.

The specs do not specify the power when the dual amp function is engaged.

Also, more power does not necessarily mean more performance. I have had 340's with amps from 100wpc to 400wpc. The only difference that was readily perceived was better bass with the 100wpc amp.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #554 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Great news! That's exactly what I want to do. I'm planning on a 5.1 setup with 340 SEs across the front and 200s in the rear. With the XR57, I can double up the power to the 340 mains which should increase the performance.

That's pretty much what I want to do as well.
post #555 of 3953 Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

I received my 340's today, got them hooked up and cruedly adjusted (using the auto setup with my Outlaw 990 preamp). Relocated the HTM200's to serve as my second pair of sides and fired up a movie (batman begins).

Initial impression is obviously a lot more fullness and depth in the front stage. I set my crossover for the 340's at 60hz but still have some tinkering to do. My second pair of surrounds makes the front row much more acceptable, but as I suspected the rear seats are still the sweet spot. I think the front row sits fine for viewing aspect (13ft), but may be too close to the front speakers because they seem to overwhelm the surrounds, and at 9ft away the rears are tougher to hear.

Anyway I am very pleased with my initial observations. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

My "Barn Theater thread"
post #556 of 3953 Old 04-13-2006, 04:32 PM

...as my second step towards the world of surround sound. My first [also just ordered] was to purchase the last of the Kenwood AV receivers [the 9070].

What I am basing the system on are four 30-year-old speakers: a pair of Model Two Allison Acoustics [floor-standing -- essentially Model One's with a pair of 6" instead of a pair of 10" woofers], which I have had since the mid '70s, and a pair of Model Three's [corner, with a single 10" woofer], which I recently inherited. The Allisons are very neutral speakers and I hope the 340 is a good compliment.

I plan to use the system 50/50 for DVDs and stereo [CDs and satellite -- DirecTV XM Radio -- music channels.

If you have any suggestions about pitfall avoidance, I would surely appreciate it [hoping I've not waited too late for any such help].
post #557 of 3953 Old 04-13-2006, 05:01 PM

I've got a little heads-up when ordering.

Last month I ordered three CMT-340 SE's for front and center, and just happened to notice that it's $28 cheaper to place this same order using "System Advisor" instead of "Add to Basket."

You would think their ordering system would be a little more consistent. Guess I should send an email asking if I can get the better price, $884 as opposed to $912.
post #558 of 3953 Old 04-13-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalguy View Post

You would think their ordering system would be a little more consistent. Guess I should send an email asking if I can get the better price, $884 as opposed to $912.

You can "add to basket" the package as well rather than the speakers individually.

Someone has posted this before, if you call Ascend, they will give you the package pricing.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #559 of 3953 Old 04-13-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post

Yeah, I really don't like those stands to be honest.

I know it may sound silly but I don't want my bookshelfs to have a tower look.

I think some people have used these stands with Ascends:

MU Metal Series stands

which are less blocky. Your personal preference may vary.

Hearing is believing vs Believing is hearing.
post #560 of 3953 Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalguy View Post

I've got a little heads-up when ordering.

Last month I ordered three CMT-340 SE's for front and center, and just happened to notice that it's $28 cheaper to place this same order using "System Advisor" instead of "Add to Basket."

Usually they will catch it and just show a credit for you. They did for me. Plus anything else you order from them in the next 45 days (give or take a few days) they will sell to you at system price as if you had bought it all at once.
post #561 of 3953 Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I use the relatively inexpensive WT stands (see attached pic)--they match very well colorwise--but did find it necessary to weight the base. As you can see, I have 2 15 lb. barbells on each one!
LL
post #562 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 PM

Has anyone else received their ascends?
post #563 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoley24 View Post

Has anyone else received their ascends?

Nope, not yet. I hope to get them in the next two weeks......

Ordered on January 27. 340 SE's Left, Right, and Center, and two pairs of HTM-200's, in which I asked to just have them all shipped together. I've commited to these speakers, and will wait it out. I can't be any more of a hurry to get these speakers, as Ascend is to get them out. This has to be costing them dearly.
post #564 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikes View Post

Nope, not yet. I hope to get them in the next two weeks......

Ordered on January 27. 340 SE's Left, Right, and Center, and two pairs of HTM-200's, in which I asked to just have them all shipped together. I've commited to these speakers, and will wait it out. I can't be any more of a hurry to get these speakers, as Ascend is to get them out. This has to be costing them dearly.

Yeah, I sure hope it's worth it!
post #565 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Are the ascends good for the 4 surrounds - 2 on the left and 2 on the right in a 7.1 setup or is it better to put two in the back and two on the sides?

I see so many theaters with the surrounds (4) with 2 on the left and 2 on the right and none in back. Is there a reason for this?

Gary
post #566 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

One more question - my room is 23 x 21 about. Will the ascends fill that size room nicely? I plan on using the yamaha 2600. 340's paired with 200's is the current plan.

Gary
post #567 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan View Post

One more question - my room is 23 x 21 about. Will the ascends fill that size room nicely? I plan on using the yamaha 2600. 340's paired with 200's is the current plan.

Gary

Very nicely. While my room is only 22x13, my 340SE's more then fill the space. I tried them out in my living room, which is 25x50 or so, with only some columns seperating the living room from the dining room, and they filled the space plenty well.
post #568 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan View Post

Are the ascends good for the 4 surrounds - 2 on the left and 2 on the right in a 7.1 setup or is it better to put two in the back and two on the sides?

I see so many theaters with the surrounds (4) with 2 on the left and 2 on the right and none in back. Is there a reason for this?

Gary

This is the way it should go, if your room allows:
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/129023.html
post #569 of 3953 Old 04-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Gary, I'm sure the 340/200 setup should be fine for your size room. I'm sure most would suggest 2 sides and 2 rears vs. 2 pairs of sides as recommended by dolby labs etc. There's always a debate about direct raidiating (the 200's) vs. a more diffuse side surround (a dipole speaker). most agree a monopole is good for the rears.

I choose the 200's for my surrounds because I was going with two rows of side speakers and dipoles would not work for this setup.

My "Barn Theater thread"
post #570 of 3953 Old 04-17-2006, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Um yeah, but Ascend doesn't sell any dipole speakers.

There is a reason.

-Ryan

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page