Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4004 Old 05-14-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 View Post

Here is my experience. I have 340SE L/C/R and 170SE surround and back. I started with a Denon AVR-3300 (105 X 5). I acquired 2 Behringer EP2500 amps rated at 450 wpc into 8 ohms. I used them to drive the sub & L/C/R. Big difference! Having the headroom that the EP2500 gave me and the reserve power if needed really put some muscle behind the 340's. I heard a distinct, clearer difference. Next, I acquired an Outlaw pre/pro and 2 Beheringer EP1500 amps (260 wpc) for surround side and surround rear. I would say that overall the pre/pro was half the difference of using lots of clean underdriven power, but an upgrade still the same. I would say that the amps made a difference of 4 to 5 on a 10 point scale and the pre/pro made a difference of 3 to 4. The biggest difference of all was when I bought the Ascend's. That was an improvement of 9 or 10 on the scale.......

Although with different amps and pre/pro, that has pretty much been my experience as well.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4004 Old 05-14-2006, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should have my 340 SE's with matching stands by this upcoming mid-week - can't wait...

I'm fortunate to have a dedicated theater room with 106" screen so can't wait to see how the babies perform with movies/music...

I also have my screen surrounded on all sides with cavities that extend out into the room from the screen (flat on wall) - the three speakers in the frontstage are placed in these cavities which are covered up with acoustic (aka stretch)black velvet fabric to hide the speakers but most importantly to absorb light reflecting off the screen in all directions - so they are not enclosed cavities but air passable cavities with velvet surrounding the speakers so they can breathe...

David recommends I remove the grilles...

I'm currently using EFE T-22 cf speakers courtesy of mr ed frias and the winner of the two in comparison will stay in the main theater room and the loser will go into the billiards room...

Using a denon 2805 receiver as a pre/pro and more importantly as a video switcher and a ATI 2505 as the amp...

Sub = SVS 25-31 PC+
post #813 of 4004 Old 05-14-2006, 04:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 View Post

Adam:
Here is my experience. I have 340SE L/C/R and 170SE surround and back. I started with a Denon AVR-3300 (105 X 5). I acquired 2 Behringer EP2500 amps rated at 450 wpc into 8 ohms. I used them to drive the sub & L/C/R. Big difference! Having the headroom that the EP2500 gave me and the reserve power if needed really put some muscle behind the 340's. I heard a distinct, clearer difference. Next, I acquired an Outlaw pre/pro and 2 Beheringer EP1500 amps (260 wpc) for surround side and surround rear. I would say that overall the pre/pro was half the difference of using lots of clean underdriven power, but an upgrade still the same. I would say that the amps made a difference of 4 to 5 on a 10 point scale and the pre/pro made a difference of 3 to 4. The biggest difference of all was when I bought the Ascend's. That was an improvement of 9 or 10 on the scale. Other AVS'ers that have heard my system before and after say the cumulative effect of changing the amps and pre/pro was much like night and day compared to the old Denon receiver.

Chuck

Chuck, that's precisely the feedback I was looking for...thank you! As my research continues with good input from you and others, I think I've settled on seeking out a good 2-channel to power my mains or a couple of solid monoblocks rather than upgrading to a bells&whistles receiver or pre/pro for the time being. Moving to these 340se mains was absolutely the "9 out of 10" sonic improvement for me as well, and I think that going for the 5/6 out of 10 amp improvement now makes sense for me. Right now, I'm looking for a good deal on a higher build quality (on the order of Bryston, Odyssey, or even Behringer) used 2-channel amp, though I haven't ruled out a couple of new Outlaw monoblocks or even the Emotiva/AV123 UL set. If you know of any deals/steals, please do share!

Thanks again,
Adam

"Stereo replay never actually reproduces a musical event. The only thing you can hope for is a credible illusion. But it can be a very nice illusion." -Bruno Putzeys
post #814 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have 3x 340SEs (with stands), 2x 170SEs, and a HSU VTF-3 Mk2 coming hopefully this week.

We're also moving to a new place this week, so hopefully I can get this all set up and running this coming weekend.
post #815 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 05:11 PM

My set (340SE R+L, 340SEC, and 4 HTM 200 with omnimounts) have arrived, unfortunately I am out of town until the end of the week. Also have five Studio Coasters being delivered on Friday.

Ordered 'Scends: March 17
Delivered: May 15

Quad Core Q6600 G0 @ 3.6Ghz
Abit IP35-E
2x1GB G.Skill PC800
Geforce 7800GT
post #816 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anybody using a "phantom center" with two 340SEs up front? Originally I'd planned to do three across the front but now, after playing with my current setup, I feel like I don't need a discrete center channel, and therefore why spend the couple of hundred bucks extra. Just curiuos if anyone is using a phantom center and what your thoughts are...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #817 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post

Anybody using a "phantom center" with two 340SEs up front? Originally I'd planned to do three across the front but now, after playing with my current setup, I feel like I don't need a discrete center channel, and therefore why spend the couple of hundred bucks extra. Just curiuos if anyone is using a phantom center and what your thoughts are...

My Ascend's should be arriving this week. For now, I just ordered the 340's (just to see if I liked them) for Front R/L so untill I decide to buy the Center and Surrounds, I'll probably run a phantom center.
post #818 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 07:18 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
IMO a real center channel is an absolute necessity for a home theater setup. So much of movie content is through the center channel that this has got to be almost the most important speaker in a 7/5.1 setup.

Just my opinon...
post #819 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey PG....hope Colorado is treating you well.

I agree with ebr. While running a phantom center may suffice, it can not replace running a dedicated center channel in a setup.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #820 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I hear ya, but I always seem to notice a "collapse" of the soundstage when using a center. With a phantom, I still get voices, etc coming from the TV, but there's still a bit of spaciousness. With a single center, it feels like the sound is coming from a box. I agree that a large percentage of content is meant to come from the center, but why does a phantom center diminish that assuming you're sitting in the sweet spot?

Anyway, just something I was thinking about. Oh, hey Curtis -- things are good here. You? I don't suppose you know off the top of your head if there are any Ascend owners in Colorado Springs? Been wanting to hear some again ever since hearing yours...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable, Samsung UN75HU8550
post #821 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyway, just something I was thinking about. Oh, hey Curtis -- things are good here. You? I don't suppose you know off the top of your head if there are any Ascend owners in Colorado Springs? Been wanting to hear some again ever since hearing yours...

Things are good here. I think there are some owners in your area. Post in Ascend's forum and hopefully someone will chime in.

As far as the soundstage collapsing with a center......I don't think you will find that with a quality and properly positioned center speaker.

Good luck!

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #822 of 4004 Old 05-15-2006, 07:50 PM

Hey PG,
with a 340 center I don't think you will find a "collapse" of the soundstage. I got my 340's up front (LCR), and to my ears, it is pretty seamless. I was watching "War of the Worlds" a few days ago, and a car was sliding (screeching) across the whole front of my soundstage. From right to left. It was so realistic, it was eerie.
post #823 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 05:50 AM

My order shipped yesterday (3 340SE's, 2 HTM200's).
Placed my order Apirl 10th.
post #824 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboman View Post

My order shipped yesterday (3 340SE's, 2 HTM200's).
Placed my order Apirl 10th.

My order shipped yesterday as well.

I ordered 2 - 340SE's on April 15th
post #825 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:

I hear ya, but I always seem to notice a "collapse" of the soundstage when using a center. With a phantom, I still get voices, etc coming from the TV, but there's still a bit of spaciousness. With a single center, it feels like the sound is coming from a box. I agree that a large percentage of content is meant to come from the center, but why does a phantom center diminish that assuming you're sitting in the sweet spot?

Sounds like (pun intended) your front speakers are too close together if a center speaker 'collapses' your soundstage.
post #826 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did (with my classics) before I purchased a 340c and prefer it with the center for sure.
Not a big fan of phantom for HT use.

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #827 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like you don't have your speakers level matched with a test disk (or tones) and an spl meter. Also need to make sure you have your delay/distance set properly in your receiver as well.

BOYCOTT BEST BUY IN WEST PATERSON, NJ !!!!
post #828 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post

My order shipped yesterday as well.

I ordered 2 - 340SE's on April 15th

Oh joy!
April 20th order date (340SE's LCR). I should know soon!

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #829 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

hurray for me...I'll be joining the SE owners club soon...just placed my order for 3x340SE and 2x170SE....

these will replace my infinity entra's
post #830 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLincoln View Post

hurray for me...I'll be joining the SE owners club soon...just placed my order for 3x340SE and 2x170SE....

these will replace my infinity entra's

You my friend, will soon have a big smile on your face!
Good system choice. Congrats!

What's your sub.?

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #831 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

You my friend, will soon have a big smile on your face!
Good system choice. Congrats!

What's your sub.?

shane

dual 15" atlas' in Infinite Baffle config
post #832 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM

Here's the difference between fedex ground and ups ground. See pics.

Note that with ups my speakers are still in another state on my delivery due date (which is today) so I doubt I will get them today. With fedex, I got my package in less than 48 hours.
LL
LL
post #833 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post

Hey is Ascend emailing anyone with tracking info on shipment? All I've gotten so far was a "receipt" that says they charged me. Does that indicate that they've shipped?

Thanks!

Did you get your speakers?

I got the receipt e-mail today, so shipping email should be coming soon

I ordered B-stock on 4/17
post #834 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalguy View Post

Note that with ups my speakers are still in another state on my delivery due date (which is today) so I doubt I will get them today. With fedex, I got my package in less than 48 hours.

That is not FedEx ground though is it? You could pay for UPS Two Day as well.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #835 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalguy View Post

That may be Fed-ex but that is not ground service. It took 5 hours from Oakland to Tennesse. That is on a plane.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #836 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 04:27 PM

Ordered placed on April 21st for a 340se Center. I received the billing receipt AND tracking number this afternoon.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be here on/by Friday so I can enjoy it this weekend.
post #837 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

Did you get your speakers?

I got the receipt e-mail today, so shipping email should be coming soon

I ordered B-stock on 4/17

Got the shipping notice!
post #838 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp View Post

That may be Fed-ex but that is not ground service. It took 5 hours from Oakland to Tennesse. That is on a plane.

Actually, I've heard from several sources that they fly everything (even though they call it ground, just like USPS does) because it's actually cheaper for them to do so.

And yes, I only paid for ground service for that package. This happens all the time as I've said in an earlier post. I've even joked with the fedex guy that if word gets out they are going to lose money because nobody will want to pay for two-day delivery anymore. And he agreed. When this happened (a different package) during the Christmas rush they told me that the reason I got it so soon was because they needed more room at the warehouse, so it was my gain.

Try it for yourself next time you order something
post #839 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 06:01 PM

Yay!!! UPS came through after all. Got all three 340's hooked up and ran the HK-635's EQ just in time to watch NCIS. Sounds superb so far

I'm not sure what to set the crossover point to for the center 340. The HK-635 wants to set it at 100. I set the L/R 340's to 80.

On a side note, it's a good thing they were well packed because UPS almost trashed the center spk box. He stood by and let me open and inspect it for damages because he thought there might be some too.
post #840 of 4004 Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Play with the crossover and see what you like best.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page