Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3932 Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Ordered my Ascend CMT-340 SE's on Friday and just found out they are back ordered for 3 weeks

I'm pairing them with Axiom QS8 surrounds which were ordered and shipped on Friday. Problem is chances of reviewing the Ascends/Axioms together within 30 days is looking bleak

Wish Ascend would state on there website if things were back ordered - but then again probably not in their interest as I possibly would have ordered Axioms all round.

Think about it this way, there's a reason they are backordered!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3932 Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makry View Post

Think about it this way, there's a reason they are backordered!

Yeah I know.....but if I had known they were back ordered I probably wouldn't have ordered the Axiom surrounds at same time.......thought the parts issue with Ascends was over.....oh well hopefully all will work out.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #1083 of 3932 Old 07-07-2006, 07:27 AM

I'm interested in getting a 'package deal' from Ascend for the 340 SEs for LRC and the HTM200s for surrounds.. Nice little discount of about $100 if you order all of them at once... However, does anyone know what the return policy is, if for example I decide to return just the surrounds and go with something else (considering the QS4/8s), or since I'd be getting the 'package' whether I'd have to return the entire package?
post #1084 of 3932 Old 07-07-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Yeah I know.....but if I had known they were back ordered I probably wouldn't have ordered the Axiom surrounds at same time.......thought the parts issue with Ascends was over.....oh well hopefully all will work out.

You mentioned the 3-week backorder... did you get the impression that 3 weeks from now they'll be able to fulfill new orders (ie. they're getting in a large shipment in about 3 weeks), or that the 3-weeks backorder is rolling? Ie. if i order 3 weeks from now they'll likely have them to ship immediately, or would be another 3 weeks?
post #1085 of 3932 Old 07-07-2006, 07:34 AM

Liked: 16
They have a 30-day in-home trial period. I'd imagine they would credit back the amount for the 200's figuring in the % of discount of the total package. So, if you are ordering 5 speakers, that is $20 off each one. The 200's sell for what, $278? So you would get $258 credit back? Just my guess. Ask Ascend to be sure.
post #1086 of 3932 Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ascend also gives you package pricing if you order the speakers within a 30 or 45 day time span.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #1087 of 3932 Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrain View Post

You mentioned the 3-week backorder... did you get the impression that 3 weeks from now they'll be able to fulfill new orders (ie. they're getting in a large shipment in about 3 weeks), or that the 3-weeks backorder is rolling? Ie. if i order 3 weeks from now they'll likely have them to ship immediately, or would be another 3 weeks?

Did not specify - here is extract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post

It is with much regret that I inform you that we are presently out of stock on our CMT-340 SE speakers. We did not anticipate the overwhelming feedback and high sales volume we are experiencing with our new Signature Edition loudspeakers and for this I must apologize.

The good news is that we are doing all we can to replenish our out of stock parts... The bad is that we might not be able to ship for about 3 weeks. It will be a long wait but I can assure you that these speakers are well worth it!

Cheers,
Mark

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #1088 of 3932 Old 07-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone had a wonderful independence day holiday.

Unfortunately, we are once again backordered on CMT-340 SE mains & centers. The good news is the wait time is much more manageable this time around

Our out-of-stock parts are due here the week of July 24 (late in the week) so I would guess a *maximum* wait time of 3 weeks if you placed an order now.

Quote:

Jrain, if you placed an order in 3 weeks I would estimate that we would be able to ship within 1 week of order placement. When the parts arrive, I estimate it will take 1 week to catch up on current backorders.

Have a nice weekend!

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #1089 of 3932 Old 07-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Thanks David!
post #1090 of 3932 Old 07-09-2006, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm interested in getting a 'package deal' from Ascend for the 340 SEs for LRC and the HTM200s for surrounds.. Nice little discount of about $100 if you order all of them at once... However, does anyone know what the return policy is, if for example I decide to return just the surrounds and go with something else (considering the QS4/8s), or since I'd be getting the 'package' whether I'd have to return the entire package?

My understanding was that you pay for the package price of whatever speakers you end up with. You get a refund for the difference b/w the original set and final set. You just return what you don't want. At least this is how the handled my returns. Since I picked-up, I'm not sure how shipping factors into returns.
post #1091 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 08:42 AM

I also posted this over at the Ascend forums. In case anyone wanted to know how they look before buying w/ alternate stands, here is a pic of mine (yes, I know I have some wire cleanup to do in the back). This is a Wood Technology MU-24 stand. I liked the monitor look better than the pseudo-floor stander look.

also, the mu-24's are fillable and have a concealed wire path in one of the rear posts. they come with rubber feet and spikes.
LL
post #1092 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 10:53 AM

Those look nice.. perhaps a bit too tall for my HT setup, but curious if you considered/dismissed the same brand (Wood Tech) but in their actual wood stands (vs. the metal you have).. ? they offer I think a 16" and a 21" in wood (probably the 21" would be ideal for me).
post #1093 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 12:13 PM

finally getting ready to pull the trigger next month on the Ascends and would like some advice for my situation. My room is about 24x14x7, sit about 9 feet from the tv with rear speakers about 7-8 feet behind the sitting area. Immediately to the left of the sitting area is a hallway about 18x3. Usage will probably be 90% HT/10% music, although I have a feeling I may listen to more music once I get a good setup. Questions:

1. Will the HTM-200s be adequate as surrounds or should I bump up to the 170SEs? I like the idea of mounting on the side wall, but don't want to sacrifice quality. I don't do any 5 channel music, but this may be something I'd like to try once I have a setup worthy of it.

2. Is the STF-2 plenty of power or should I bump up to an STF-3?

3. Is my Onkyo 503 (75W x 7) enough power, or should I consider upgrading?

4. How much am I going to enjoy these speakers?

The one thing I don't want is to have buyers remorse wishing I had the better equipment, but I also don't want to spend more than I have to.
post #1094 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owinmoney View Post

finally getting ready to pull the trigger next month on the Ascends and would like some advice for my situation. My room is about 24x14x7, sit about 9 feet from the tv with rear speakers about 7-8 feet behind the sitting area. Immediately to the left of the sitting area is a hallway about 18x3. Usage will probably be 90% HT/10% music, although I have a feeling I may listen to more music once I get a good setup. Questions:

1. Will the HTM-200s be adequate as surrounds or should I bump up to the 170SEs? I like the idea of mounting on the side wall, but don't want to sacrifice quality. I don't do any 5 channel music, but this may be something I'd like to try once I have a setup worthy of it.

The one thing I don't want is to have buyers remorse wishing I had the better equipment, but I also don't want to spend more than I have to.

Are you setting up a 7.1 or 5.1 HT?
post #1095 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 12:35 PM

Liked: 16
That's a pretty big room. I'd go with the STF-3. The 200's should be fine in that room, especially if you are wall-mounting. Use the Onkyo and determine if it is sufficient powerwise, and upgrade if needed. If it has preouts for the channels, you could simply add an external amp if needed.

You will enjoy the Ascend's more than sex........NOT! They are better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though!
post #1096 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by owinmoney View Post

1. I have a room similar to yours (14.5 wide by 22.5 deep, sitting about 9' from TV), and I have 340SEs across the front and 170SEs in the rear. The surrounds are mounted along the side walls back behind the couch, about 6' off the ground, and about 8' from speaker to the center of the couch. They 170SEs can't be flush-mounted, while the 200s can (and I assume mounted to brackets and aimed). If having them not stick out from the wall is an issue, go with the 200s. The 170SEs are definitely better, but you will probably not notice it unless you listen to real 5.1 audio with big instruments mixed to the rear channels as well. The 200s would probably be very adequate. Whether it's worth the extra $ is something you'd have to decide.

2. With a room that size (about the same size as my own room), I suggest getting the STF-3 or the VTF-3. I have the latter. It adds about 50 more watts, and lets you tune it to a lower frequency for deeper extension.

3. It should be enough power. If you start listening to more music, you can always add an outboard amp for the l/r mains, assuming your receiver has pre-outs. But before that, you should consider room treatments (bass traps for corners, absorption at first reflection points).

4. There's only one way to find out.

A bit of advice...
Whatever speakers you get, take the time to experiment with placement of both the l/r mains and the sub. With the mains, you want good imaging and soundstage, and a solid center image with vocals. For sub placement, you'll want to use an SPL meter and something like the Avia setup disc. You'll want to calibrate all the speakers anyway, and a meter and Avia will help you do that. But the more time you spend setting it up and getting it dialed in just right, the better it will sound.
post #1097 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Those look nice.. perhaps a bit too tall for my HT setup, but curious if you considered/dismissed the same brand (Wood Tech) but in their actual wood stands (vs. the metal you have).. ? they offer I think a 16" and a 21" in wood (probably the 21" would be ideal for me).

I do not think that their lines of wood stands are fillable. I need that capability, because I'm not sure the wood stands alone would provide enough stability for me. Also, the metal stands allow you to route cable through a hole in the base and then through a hole in one of the rear pillars. I think the wood stands have a groove on one of the pillars instead of allowing you to route cable through the pillar. This isn't an advantage either way, just a difference to make you aware of.

Beyond that, it was an aesthetic choice. I simply liked the way the metal series looked more than their wood stands, particularly the three pillar design as well as the metal powder coated uprights and top plate vs. a satin finished MDF or ebony finished hardwood. I would have gotten the TMT Series stands, which I think are even more striking than the MU series, but I believe the top plate is actually slightly wider than the Ascend 340se speaker, so I thought that would have looked strange. Plus, 24" was what I was looking for.
post #1098 of 3932 Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 PM

I'm almost set on buying these speakers. I'm going to set up a theater room in a 14x18x8 room. Right now I'm thinking of 2x340SE mains, 1x340SE center, 2x170SE surrounds, and a VTF-3 sub.
What do you guys think?
Would the VTF-2 sub be a better fit for my room?
post #1099 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskim View Post

I'm almost set on buying these speakers. I'm going to set up a theater room in a 14x18x8 room. Right now I'm thinking of 2x340SE mains, 1x340SE center, 2x170SE surrounds, and a VTF-3 sub.
What do you guys think?

With the VTF-3, that would be the same setup as me. My room is just a bit longer than yours (22.5 rather than 18). Definitely go with the VTF-3.
post #1100 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you owners. I will be going with the 340SE's across the front and hopefully if I can work it out as my surrounds to. My question is my rear surrounds will be either 170SE's or the 200's if due to mounting considerations (most likely have to be wall mounted) since I would have 5 340SE's would the back surrounds as 200's blend in OK? I'm guessing that they will and I will be very pleased with my setup, but just want to make sure everything blends together well. I know the 200's are very good speakers, just wanted to see what the general opinion was.

Also one other question. Depending on how my setup in my basement works out, I may need to place the side surrounds on shelves on the wall (I'm trying to work around a door opening if I can't move the opening) due to height considerations would there be any issues with laying the 340SE's (as the surrounds) on their sides? Or is having 340SE's as surrounds overkill anyway? Hey I thought if I could why not? My room size is 13.5x20x7.5 if that matters for anyone's suggestions.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1101 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I know the 200's are very good speakers, just wanted to see what the general opinion was.

Also one other question. Depending on how my setup in my basement works out, I may need to place the side surrounds on shelves on the wall (I'm trying to work around a door opening if I can't move the opening) due to height considerations would there be any issues with laying the 340SE's (as the surrounds) on their sides? Or is having 340SE's as surrounds overkill anyway? Hey I thought if I could why not? My room size is 13.5x20x7.5 if that matters for anyone's suggestions.

RTROSE

the 340's are way overkill for surround use; the 170's are also too good for surround, imo, but more reasonable. Based on your physical constraints, I would think you should consider HTM-200's for all surround channels if you don't plan on MC music (imo) - sounds like it would make life alot easier.

Hearing is believing vs Believing is hearing.
post #1102 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD50U View Post

the 340's are way overkill for surround use; the 170's are also too good for surround, imo, but more reasonable. Based on your physical constraints, I would think you should consider HTM-200's for all surround channels if you don't plan on MC music (imo) - sounds like it would make life alot easier.

I had the 170's for surround. They were perfect for HT.
When I went to multi-ch (SACD - DVD-A) music I upgraded to 340's for the rear. It made a noticable difference and I could not call them overkill for this purpose. For strict HT only, yes, unless your room was massive, the 170's would work very well for surrounds.

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #1103 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you owners. I will be going with the 340SE's across the front and hopefully if I can work it out as my surrounds to. My question is my rear surrounds will be either 170SE's or the 200's if due to mounting considerations (most likely have to be wall mounted) since I would have 5 340SE's would the back surrounds as 200's blend in OK? I'm guessing that they will and I will be very pleased with my setup, but just want to make sure everything blends together well. I know the 200's are very good speakers, just wanted to see what the general opinion was.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

RTROSE

im using 3 340's across the front and 4 170's for rear and side duty in HT and MCA and am very happy with the results...
post #1104 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have 340's for L/C/R, and 4 200's for side and rear surrounds. I went with the 200's because I think they are completely adequate in this role for HT, and also because they can be mounted right on the wall (just like hanging a picture!). I'm quite pleased, though I'm sure anyone would also be pleased with 170's in the surround role if they fit in your arrangement (i.e., they shouldn't be mounted right against the wall).
post #1105 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I currently do not have any plans for MCA, but as some have stated here my music listening may increase due to having such wonderful speakers. I think it will be a stretch to make the surrounds 340SE's but I don't think I would have a problem going with 3 340's and four 170's. That way if I do go for MCA I will have a very good setup.

I have yet to see an answer about the 340SE's on their side a la 340CE. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1106 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The only difference between and CMT-340SE and a CMT-340SEc is the EXBAC circuitry in the center version that compensates for baffle gains that usually happen with center channel placement. Otherwise they are identical.

Someone recently asked about it on the Ascend Forum as well:
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...7452#post17452

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #1107 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskim View Post

What do you guys think?

I have the 340SE across the front as you are planning to do. I had a VTF-3 but had to change it to a VTF-2 due to WAF. The VTF-3 is HUGE. I have a much bigger room than yours (18x25x20) (very high ceilings) and can honestly say I do not miss the VTF-3 for the music and/or movies I watch. I'm not a big basshead but do appreciate good low bass for HT. For my use and the 0.000001% of the time where one would need the extra capabilities of the VTF-3, I don't really miss it. The VTF-2 is more than capable for 99.999999% of my needs and I believe it can go plenty low and loud enough in your room. Then again, for some, dual 12" subs would not be enough in that room...
post #1108 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulos View Post

I have the 340SE across the front as you are planning to do. I had a VTF-3 but had to change it to a VTF-2 due to WAF. The VTF-3 is HUGE. I have a much bigger room than yours (18x25x20) (very high ceilings) and can honestly say I do not miss the VTF-3 for the music and/or movies I watch. I'm not a big basshead but do appreciate good low bass for HT. For my use and the 0.000001% of the time where one would need the extra capabilities of the VTF-3, I don't really miss it. The VTF-2 is more than capable for 99.999999% of my needs and I believe it can go plenty low and loud enough in your room. Then again, for some, dual 12" subs would not be enough in that room...

Haha thanks for your input. I was thinking the VTF-3 might be too much since I'm not too crazy about a lot of bass either.
post #1109 of 3932 Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I have 340's for L/C/R, and 4 200's for side and rear surrounds. I went with the 200's because I think they are completely adequate in this role for HT, and also because they can be mounted right on the wall (just like hanging a picture!). I'm quite pleased, though I'm sure anyone would also be pleased with 170's in the surround role if they fit in your arrangement (i.e., they shouldn't be mounted right against the wall).

I agree.

I went with HTM-200's for my surrounds and they are more than adequate. So much so that I think 170SE's would be overkill in most situations.

The 170SE's are alot bigger than people realize.
post #1110 of 3932 Old 07-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys. Due to a sudden windfall, I think I've decided to get 340 SE's all across the front with HTM-200s in the rear (instead of just a 340 center and 170s for fronts).

Here is my problem. Aesthetics are very important to me... it's why I went with an LCD TV.

I was going to put those CBM-170 SE's on OmniMount Cosmic 31's (24s shown, but same thing):
http://www.omnimount.com/consumer/pr...161&mp=3.4.2.2

But now that I'm probably going with the 340s, the speakers jump up in weight from 14 pounds to 26 pounds -- more than the 20 pounds the Cosmics say they handle.

I was just curious if anyone has 340s mounted on stands rated at 20 pounds... and if not what are some of my options? I *hate* the Ascends custom 340 stands. I don't want a floorstanding look -- I much prefer the bookshelf/monitor look. I'm looking for a sleek design that is comparable to those Cosmics...

Anyone got suggestions?

P.S. I lied about the windfall. I just decided what the hell is another $200 at this point ($3k into the setup...)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page