Ascend SE Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my confirmation number, and my 2 170 SEs and my 340c S@ are on the way! (already have 2 HTM-200s and an SVS PB10-ISD). They were supposed to ship Monday, but shipped yesterday instead, which means I won't have them until Monday. I was so looking forward to having them this weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

Anyway, here is a link to the company that makes them, they sell direct: http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt33.html#Please%20note

"The BTECH BT33 speaker wall mount bracket is designed for use with home theater & surround sound satellite speakers weighting up to 8 lbs and is only 3" deep"

The HTMs weigh exactly 8 pounds, but the 170s are 14 pounds, so these wouldn't work for those. I just wanted to point that out inc ase anyone was considering them.

post #93 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 11:21 AM

i am a newbie in HT and just got tracking for my ascends to arrive monday. wanted to ask other owners on what they used or put on the speaker stands to hold or atleast make the speakers more stable on top of the speaker stands. i ordered the 170s and have omni 300ah for stands. any suggestions? thanks.
post #94 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpt97 View Post

i am a newbie in HT and just got tracking for my ascends to arrive monday. wanted to ask other owners on what they used or put on the speaker stands to hold or atleast make the speakers more stable on top of the speaker stands. i ordered the 170s and have omni 300ah for stands. any suggestions? thanks.

I, and I think many people, use something called 'museum wax' to secure the speaker to the stand. In my case, I then used 2 15 lb barbells around the base of each of my two speaker stands to stabilize them (this is earthquake country!). The barbells are black (as are the stands), so not to obstrusive, at least in an informal den. See the pic attached.
LL
post #95 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Where would you find "Museum Wax". Do you know what it is? Or a trade name? Thanks.

Chuck
post #96 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98 View Post

Where would you find "Museum Wax". Do you know what it is? Or a trade name? Thanks.

Chuck

Never mind. A quick google found this and others.
http://www.safetystore.com/Quakehold.asp
post #97 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
there is also Blu-tak. You can find stuff like it at hardware stores, I have some that is yellow.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #98 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

there is also Blu-tak. You can find stuff like it at hardware stores, I have some that is yellow.

Yes this stuff works awesome and can be found almost everywhere!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #99 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using industrial strength velcro from home depot (for 170s). The hold is very good (can hold the speakerstand sideways and the speaker won't come off)...if the speakers come off its only because someone is intentionally taking them off.

I'm still trying to find a good way to secure the base of the stands. A barbell or heavy ankle weight would work ok but ideally it would be something less obtrusive.

overtime
post #100 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

The reason they are not there is because B-TECH replaced them with the BT-33. David F. says the BT-33s are a superior design (compared with the BT5s) and work very well with the HTM-200s. I don't know why he doesn't have them on his website, I guess he just hasn't got around to it.

Anyway, here is a link to the company that makes them, they sell direct: http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt33.html#Please%20note

Thanks S_rangeBrew, much appreciated
post #101 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 05:34 PM

OK quick question on the 340SE - is it absolutely necessary to use bi-wire (Hi Freq & Lo Freq)? If you only use 2 wires to connect each speaker, will it sound noticeably different vs the bi-wire, and would you connect it to the Hi Freq or Lo Freq posts only?
post #102 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPFury View Post

OK quick question on the 340SE - is it absolutely necessary to use bi-wire (Hi Freq & Lo Freq)? If you only use 2 wires to connect each speaker, will it sound noticeably different vs the bi-wire, and would you connect it to the Hi Freq or Lo Freq posts only?

nope...no difference in the different ways I have hooked mine up.....bi-wired no binding straps, connected to upper posts with the binding straps, or the lower posts with the binding straps.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #103 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I personally have never heard a difference using a biwire configuration and I also read a pretty good article on the subject over at Audioholics. They said basically it was a waste of wire.

I believe that biamping with an active crossover is probably required to make a noticeable difference, and that would really only make sense in a speaker with frequency response a lot deeper than the 340s. I'm fairly certain the passive crossovers in the 340s must be VERY good to get the frequency response on and off axis that they do.

Use a good quality 12 guage 2 wire and just love your speakers would be my suggestion.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #104 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 09:29 PM

Msg was edited due to a bonehead connection error

see below...
post #105 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You must love your bass.

Even if you got the Mirage sub, I do not think it will be the kind of bass you are used to.

Have you tried turning up the bass on the Panny? I don't think calibrating with Avia will do anything...you just have a pair of speakers.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #106 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK initial impressions on a pair of Ascend 340SE's, few things to take into consideration first:

1) Connected to Panny XR55 using 12 gauge wire, slightly toed in, about 8' apart and 6" from any wall. Speakers set to Large
2) I'm sitting about 9' away from the pair
3) Receiver is connected to my Santa Cruz sound card line out on my PC via RCA

I know these aren't the best connections, but there's no way around it right now as I can't really afford a Squeezebox and the sound card doesn't have any digital output. Regardless, I'm comparing these to my $130 Logitech Z560s and listening to 192kbps MP3s, it's not the clarity I have a problem with. It's the bass.

In my honest opinion, I really want to keep these 340SEs. I don't want to be out $50-60 in shipping, but I can't see myself enjoying them more than my Logitechs, SOLELY because the Z560s have a sub and have 4 speakers vs 2 for the Ascends. The 340s just don't have the bass extension that I want, even for music. I need that bass! I've even tried moving them closer to the wall just to see if I could even exaggerate the bass, butno, it wasn't enough. The speakers are definitely 1000x clearer, but I don't think I can enjoy them as much without a sub cuz it doesn't have that oomph. I know David F. endorsed using them full range, but I dunno if it's enough for me... Another thing is I really like being enveloped in the music, I don't know how people enjoy music more in 2ch vs 4ch.

So I'm left with a dilemma - either return these 340s (after trying them for 30 days of course ) or spend another $400 and pick up the Mirage Sub and complete the package w/ a pair 170SEs and a 340C later on down the line. I have no doubt that the Ascends as a full 5.1 package can and will blow anything out of the water, but right now I can't fully enjoy only a pair of 340s with no sub or surrounds. Argh what to do...

I've heard people say that the 340's could be used full range w/o a sub, but I think it's clear that the Ascends were designed to be used with a sub. I have a SVS PB10 with 3 340's (L/C/R) and 200's as surrounds, and I can't imagine that I will EVER want to anything better than this. Yes, it's another $450 or so for the PB10, but it is the one splurge I've made for which I have no regret. Matched with the clarity of the Ascends, it is truly an outstanding audio set up.
post #107 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For music, I use my classic 340's often without a sub. I heard the SE versions a week ago without a sub.....and I clearly think they can be run full range and be very enjoyable. I guess it really depends on tastes and music.

KP.....you didn't happen to take the binding straps off of the binding posts did you?

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #108 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 09:50 PM

I maxed out the bass on the Panny. It has decent bass, but of course it aint gonna match even a Logitech sub. I connected it by passing the wire through the hole that runs across the binding post, and screwing the top back on, clamping the wire down.

I think it just may be that I'm used to listening to music in a 4.1 setup, so 2ch sounds lacking, even if they are Ascends.

Bill - do you listen to music in all-channel stereo mode, or just w/ the L/R?
post #109 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is the Logitech setup calibrated? Or is the bass inflated?

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #110 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Bill - do you listen to music in all-channel stereo mode, or just w/ the L/R?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I really do very little serious music listening--it's mainly just HT/dvd's. And that is why the clarity of the Ascends is so great, picking up all subtle nusances in the movie sound track, and incredibly clear dialog. And I don't have to tell you how they, with the PB10, do action movies--this is well-documented all over these forums.
post #111 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:

, it's not the clarity I have a problem with. It's the bass.

In my honest opinion, I really want to keep these 340SEs. I don't want to be out $50-60 in shipping, but I can't see myself enjoying them more than my Logitechs, SOLELY because the Z560s have a sub and have 4 speakers vs 2 for the Ascends. The 340s just don't have the bass extension that I want, even for music. I need that bass! I've even tried moving them closer to the wall just to see if I could even exaggerate the bass, butno, it wasn't enough.

KPFury,

I am not familiar with your particular Logitech settup but I used to have Logitech speakers for my PC. I can understand that you are used to listening to your 4.1 speaker settup. It may be hard for you to adapt quickly to a 2 channel system. This may take a bit of time for you to appreciate. I'm wondering tho if perhaps you may have become accustomed to less-than-accurate bass and are (not intentionally) confusing this with accurate bass and extension. I've never felt the 340's were lacking in the bass department even without a sub. I've got the 340 Classics and your SE's will dig 10hz deeper to boot. If you thirst for very deep and accurate bass then I'd suggest adding a decent sub...don't go back to your Logitechs. If you do decide to add a sub then let us know what you think...I think you will be hooked on the Ascends for life.

Randy
post #112 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 PM

OMFG i just realized...

i was using a splitter to split the signal on my sound card's line out so one line goes to my logitech's and the other to the Panny receiver. I took the splitter out and just connected the receiver directly to the sound card and it made a HUGE difference!!@ There's DEFINITELY a good deal more bass, not as booming as the logitechs but holy crap it sounds really really good. i'm an ass!
post #113 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

LOL!!

It's OK KP....I was just thinking you like the booming sound.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #114 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM

Btw, thanks all for all the advice. These sound 100000x better than the Logitechs, I'm definitely keeping these bad boys! holy crap, i'm listening to all my fave songs at ridiculous levels and it's 1:30am here in NY...
post #115 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't get in trouble!

Now imagine a good sub, and matching surrounds!

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #116 of 3953 Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 PM

HeHe! I'm glad you found the culprit. By the looks of your latest post you may not be needing to add that sub after all. It's gonna be tough for you to get any sleep tonight!

Randy
post #117 of 3953 Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL, I wanted to tell you that your hearing sucks so bad you don't deserve good speakers, but all is forgiven now. :-)
post #118 of 3953 Old 01-26-2006, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Hah...I was about to say KPFury, Logitech has a reputation for boomy bass peaks even among computer speakers...
post #119 of 3953 Old 01-26-2006, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

KP,

That is funny. Before you told us about your mistake, I beleived you. Its hard to like something more than what your used to. But, that is pretty funny. I'm glad you are happy now.

Could you do us a favor and edit your previous posts with a little note at the bottom, just in case someone is doing a search or something and doesn't scroll down to read the rest of the thread.

-Ryan

post #120 of 3953 Old 01-26-2006, 06:45 AM

Yes I will edit the OP. I ended up sleeping at 3:30am listening to everything from classical to rock, hiphop and trance, and I can say I'm extremely happy And this was all through a crappy analog connection to a PC sound card playing MP3s. Can't wait to hear CD-quality music and DVDs!

I've decided to splurge and just go pick up the Mirage S12 sub. Even though the 340SEs by themselves sound phenomenal, when I had them playing together w/ the Logitech sub, I was in absolute aural bliss~ I can't imagine what they would sound like with a real sub and surrounds like curtis said haha. Well, I can sort of imagine it...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page