post #181 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPFury View Post

I have the Panny XR55, Mirage S12, and a pair of 340SEs. Everyone says set the Mains to small and x-over to sub at 80.

I'm wondering since the 340SE's are so good full range, couldn't you set the L/R to large (which would disable the x-over on the receiver,) turn on the built-in filter on the S12 and set the variable x-over to say 50hz since the 340's are good down to 48hz @ -3dB? Wouldn't this sound better since the 340's have tighter, faster bass than the 12" driver of the S12?

I would think so. It is something you will have to play around with.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone get the special finish on a 170 or 170SE? I would like to know how much that finish costs. I emailed Ascend but haven't received a response back yet. I would love to own a 340SE (LCR) and 170SE 5.0 set with the 170SE painted in that pearl white they offer.
post #183 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I would think so. It is something you will have to play around with.

...and of course let us know what you come up with.

Jeff

Gamertag - Ktulu1

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
post #184 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
LeeLee

I was told by Ascend that any of the custom finishes run $125/speaker regardless of color. Additionally, the optional matching grills (white or pearl) are $20 a piece.

Confirm w/ them via e-mail.

I think I'm gonna go w/ unfinished boxes since I just need them to match my trim color (white). My dilemma was whether to have them ship me the speakers fully assembled, but unfinished, ready for me to paint and use. Or, whether I should have them send me the unassembled cabinets for me to paint, then return to them for final assembly.

I think I'm gonna chance it, and have them sent fully assembled, but unfinished. I'll take great care in masking everything off before I paint them. Anyone have any experience with this and willing to share any recommendations?
post #185 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I want a pair of audiophile quality speaker for music listening. Is the 170SE good enough to compete with Studio 20 v3 or do I need to step up to 340SE ? I will most likely to pair it with the Mirage S12 I got few days ago. My bonus room is about 16 x 13 with a staircase leading to first floor.
post #186 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

I want a pair of audiophile quality speaker for music listening. Is the 170SE good enough to compete with Studio 20 v3 or do I need to step up to 340SE ? I will most likely to pair it with the Mirage S12 I got few days ago. My bonus room is about 16 x 13 with a staircase leading to first floor.

I chose the 340 classics over the Studio 40's so I would be very surprised if the 170SE's couldn't hold their own at the very least with the Studio 20's.
One easy way to find out. Return shipping on the 170's is pretty reasonable.

David
post #187 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I have the Panny XR55, Mirage S12, and a pair of 340SEs. Everyone says set the Mains to small and x-over to sub at 80.

I'm wondering since the 340SE's are so good full range, couldn't you set the L/R to large (which would disable the x-over on the receiver,) turn on the built-in filter on the S12 and set the variable x-over to say 50hz since the 340's are good down to 48hz @ -3dB? Wouldn't this sound better since the 340's have tighter, faster bass than the 12" driver of the S12?

Are you talking about stereo, 2-channel music listening? If you set the mains to large in this case, then no bass is re-routed to the subwoofer output. That is, unless you set the subwoofer output to double-up the bass sent to the mains as well.

You can always set the mains to small and try a lower crossover, like 60Hz. I wouldn't go below that, because you're supposed to have the crossover an octave over its roll-off point. Have an octave isn't that bad either. Ie., if it rolls off at 40Hz, an octave above that is 80Hz, and half an octave above 40Hz is 60Hz (half-way between 40 and 80).

If that doesn't make sense, tell us what you are talking about as far as listening mode, etc.

And the Mirage S12 should be plenty tight, assuming it's set up correctly with balanced gain/volume and the placement is optimale. I wouldn't turn down the crossover on the sub, because the markings on the crossover knob aren't always accurate, because you don't want to overlap crossovers and mess with frequency response (creating holes), and if this is used for movies/LFE, LFE goes up to 120Hz so you lose between that and wherever the crossover is set to. Just set the crossover all the way up, or preferably, disable it if there is a switch. Use the bass management in your receiver to control it. Gain at about 1/3 and the sub level on the receiver at 5 (out of 0-20).
post #188 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Are any of you Ascend boys using 3 center channels across the front, or even center channels across the back?? Goods or bads about using centers across the front or back?? Looking really hard about dumping my Paradigm Studios and trying something new. I like the idea of going with the "little guy" and supporting the independent companies that offer better quality products without paying the light bill on someones store.
Thanx in advance

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #189 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 AM

hey bri,

yea i figured using the sub's variable xover would cause more issues than solve, but i wanted to try it anyway.

Basically i want to try the L/R + sub for 2.1 music by having the mains set to Large and Subwoofer enabled (in the receiver), and filter ON with variable xover set to around 50-60hz on the S12. Will setting the mains to Large disable the crossover onthe Panny? I don't see any setting to turn it "off"
post #190 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 11:49 AM

KPFury,

That is a interesting thought you have.
I have the XR-55 too and since this receiver does not have a 60hz crossover some of the tight bass of the 340SEs might be wasted by going with a 80Hz crossover.

Though the problem with setting the mains as large and using the subs crossover will mean that some of the lower frequencies at the crossover point might be reproduced by both the mains as well as the sub, but maybe this can be corrected using an SPL meter and playing with the s12's crossover.

Definitely try it and let us know what you find. Right now I just received the 340SEs but don't have a sub yet. But from intial listening I might not need one until I move out of my apartment.
post #191 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

I have the XR55 as well and when I set the mains to 'large' the receiver no longer sent a signal to the sub (STF-2). If you have a good sub I'd just set the crossover to 80 and be done with it .

overtime
post #192 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 PM

When you set your fronts to large, did you also have the sub as "yes" and sub output on the receiver to greater than min?

When I was auditioning a velodyne sub I did set the fronts to large and still was able to get the LFE signal at the sub.
post #193 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtime View Post

I have the XR55 as well and when I set the mains to 'large' the receiver no longer sent a signal to the sub (STF-2). I

That is what "Large" means. Any receiver that doesn't do that is not working properly. If you set your speakers to "large" the only time your sub will play is if you are watching a DVD or hi-res multi-channel music disc that has content in the LFE channel. Also, if your speakers are set to "large" it makes no difference where your receivers crossover is set because only the LFE channel will send sound to the sub and the LFE channel is not affected by the crossover.

My subs play all the way down to 0 Hz!!! It's so low you can't hear or feel anything.

post #194 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

On my HK receiver, setting the mains to Large automatically sets the subwoofer to LFE+Mains, so I would have to disable that manually.
post #195 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey bri,

yea i figured using the sub's variable xover would cause more issues than solve, but i wanted to try it anyway.

Basically i want to try the L/R + sub for 2.1 music by having the mains set to Large and Subwoofer enabled (in the receiver), and filter ON with variable xover set to around 50-60hz on the S12. Will setting the mains to Large disable the crossover onthe Panny? I don't see any setting to turn it "off"

For 2.1, if you set the mains to large, the only time the sub would play would be if you set the sub to get the same bass signal as the mains, thus doubling up the bass reproduced.

I'm not sure how your Panny works, but some receivers send all bass under frequency X, and other receivers still use that xo frequency for bass to the sub (when mains are Large and sub is LFE+Mains).

Lowering the crossover on your sub itself might be okay for music, if your mains are playing full range, and you just want to boost the lowest octaves. But if you are going to do that, you can still crossover the mains at 60Hz/Small. This can take some load off the amp and speakers, and may make the sound a little clearer (especially at high volumes).

However, like I said, the frequency numbers on crossover dials on subs aren't 100% accurate. You can certainly tune it to taste.

With some experimenting, you should be able to blend the sub with the mains (set to small) and get very natural and detailed bass. If the bass extension on the mains is pretty good, and you have Large & LFE+Mains, then you have a lot of overlap of frequencies, and the potential for cancellation (= less bass). To check more scientficially, run frequency sweeps on Avia using a meter to see what the response looks like and find the best combination. You might find a lot of cancellation, and may be able to fix it with the phase setting on the sub, too.

But if you are going to use the setup for 5.1 movies as well, and don't want to fiddle with the sub every time you go between music and movies, either turn off the crossover on the sub if there's a switch, or if there's not a switch, just turn the crossover knob all the way up. If you don't do this, and you leave the xo on the sub at say 50Hz, you are filtering out the 50Hz - 120Hz range of the LFE signal as well.
post #196 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 PM

Thanks Brian, that helps a lot. Unfortunately, the Panny XR-55 xo only goes down to 80hz which is why I was even considering this. I would've been ecstatic w/ a 60hz xo heh.

I have no idea what the Panny does in terms of sending
post #197 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

To experiment, you can run the frequency sweeps in Avia with the main channel unhooked at the speaker, to see if the XO setting affects re-routed bass even when set to Large. At 80Hz, there will still be signal for 1 octave above that (160Hz), but it should be a lot lower than below 80Hz.

From this image of the crossover response on Audioholics, measuring the Denon 5805 receiver, you can see the center channel crossed at 150Hz in green, and the mains crossed at 80Hz in red:

post #198 of 3981 Old 02-02-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe for the .1 or LFE only channel on movies, the spec is that channel effects less than 120hz. So if you set the crossover on the sub lower than that....you are going to lose some if it.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #199 of 3981 Old 02-04-2006, 10:36 AM

For those who care!! I just bought the Eagles dvd/cd live concert with dts 5.1. OH MY GOSH!!! If you like the eagles at all get this and let your 340se's sing. The guitars sound like they are in the middle of the living room almost in reach. If you don't like the eagles than buy a dvd/cd with the dts 5.1 audio choice and go to a concert in your living room.

THANKS ASCEND these are more than I bargained for. What a TREMENDOUS VALUE.

PS. Thanks AVSFORUM for your amazing reccomendations. I've purchased my entire Home theater based on everyones posts. I couldn't be happier.

MONEY!!!?-----------I could USE money!!~"The Jerk "
post #200 of 3981 Old 02-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Oh yeah, AVR 635 settings in average to small room 22X20
SPEAKERS SMALL
L/R 60HZ
CENTER 60HZ
SUB 80HZ
REARS 100HZ

LET THE RECEIVER DO DELAYS
BUMP THE BASS A HAIR
ANY BETTER SUGGESTIONS

MONEY!!!?-----------I could USE money!!~"The Jerk "
post #201 of 3981 Old 02-04-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to say, I've got a S33-2000 package coming to me, CBM-170SE's first, and the 340SEs when the come in stock. I also got a pair of the pedestal stands.

Will be selling my old Energy speakers. Can't wait.
post #202 of 3981 Old 02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin johnson View Post

SPEAKERS SMALL
L/R 60HZ
CENTER 60HZ
SUB 80HZ
REARS 100HZ

BUMP THE BASS A HAIR
ANY BETTER SUGGESTIONS

Have you calibrated with Avia and an SPL meter, or something similar?
Do you have your center aimed at the listening position?
Do you have the left/right speakers toed in at all?
post #203 of 3981 Old 02-04-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I agree music sounds more full with speakers set to large. But definitely don't try that for movies. I played WotW and literally saw the woofers on my 170SEs start jumping out during the tank blasts and reverberating like crazy. I was so scared shitless (excuse my French) I set the speakers to SMALL immediately and the woofers calmed down right away. During music tho I usually run the the fronts full range with the sub volume turned way down, just for a *little* added low end.
post #204 of 3981 Old 02-04-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin johnson View Post

SPEAKERS SMALL
L/R 60HZ
CENTER 60HZ
SUB 80HZ
REARS 100HZ

BUMP THE BASS A HAIR
ANY BETTER SUGGESTIONS

Make sure you got that set up right. I believe the sub should be set to the highest crossover you have set for any of the speakers....in this case, 100hz.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #205 of 3981 Old 02-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I received my 170SE's and 340C SE on Monday and have been doing some tweaking and listening with them, everything from DVD-A to DVD's to CD's to Music Choice stations with them. I LOVE THEM!!! They are awesome!! I finally have a matching 5 speaker HT set up. They came double boxed from Ascend and looked flawless when I took them out. I ran MCACC on my receiver and also check them with my Rat Shack meter just to be sure. The only thing off was the right main which MCACC had set about 2db lower than the rest of the speakers. The combination of the 170's, 340 and 200's with my Mirage S12 is better than I dreamed it would be. The clarity of the Ascends are stunning. The high frequencies do not sound harsh and they can hit the lower notes with a bit of punch. These are definately keepers and a noticeable improvement over my JBL Northridge set up. I am a very pleased with my decision to go with the Ascends!!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #206 of 3981 Old 02-09-2006, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

nm
post #207 of 3981 Old 02-09-2006, 11:10 AM

Anyone have an opion of matching the 340's with the Axion QS8's.
post #208 of 3981 Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider142000 View Post

Anyone have an opion of matching the 340's with the Axion QS8's.

I don't think anyone would specifically recommend mating fronts and rears of different brands, and David F. (pres. and designer at Ascend) leans heavily in favor of direct radiating surrounds, but FWIW Mag Neato over on the Ascend board uses QS8s with 170s and seems to like the results.

Here is the relevant post.
post #209 of 3981 Old 02-09-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got my SE's on Monday and love them! I have 340's across the front and 2 pair's of 170's for the surrounds. My HT is still in progress so I only have the LCR hooked up right now. I immediately loved the sound, but was a bit disappointed with the low end. I tried War of the Worlds and music from Dream Theater and Tool. It was good, just not what I thought it would be.

Well, yesterday my brain actually kicked in and realized I have a little girl that likes to turn knobs and stuff like that. The Bass knob on my receiver (H/K AVR7200) was only up about 1/3 of the way. I turned that up and the good got great. I mean WOW!

I was pushing them at about -17 and it was plenty loud. Not distorted loud, just clean and loud. I play bass guitar in a band and like loud music. I stood outside on my deck with the doors closed and could hear things plain as day. I could even feel the outer walls of the house vibrating. That was only the front 3 speakers and no sub. MY family room is about 14x18 with and is open to the second floor and kitchen area, so there's a lot of space to fill. My VTF3-HO Turbo is on order.....

Being that this is the first set of good speakers I've ever owned, I don't know that I'll ever buy any others. These sound great to my ears and I just can't see things getting much better!
post #210 of 3981 Old 02-09-2006, 07:23 PM

i am very interested in the 340se lcr and one pair of 170se for surrounds. i will be using these for 90% ht in a 16x30 room in a 5.1 set up. i have 3 questions for anyone that have or have heard these.
1) what would you recommend as a receiver for these?
2) what would you recommend as a sub?
3) lastly are the se's on back order?
thanks for any replys
Reply Speakers

Tags
Ascend Acoustics , Pioneer Vsx 1014txk Thx Select Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page